Then they wither

Learn to love again

 

I didn't run this time – I walked through a field of flowers. Peaceful and beautiful, that was all that came to my mind at the sight of the colors. “I don't want to leave this place”, was what I mumbled when a person stepped up next to me. The purple hair I could make out from the corners of my eyes proved that it was Jongup.

“I know, right? Told you this works wonders, didn't I? She's worth the trust.”

I shot him an unsure glance. “What will happen if I trust her?”

“She'll be sleeping peacefully.” Jongup pointed at a spot a few meters away, where the flowers were entangled and formed an actual bed. As I squinted at it, I could recognize the girl, fast asleep, and we walked up to her. “She'd be snoring and talking in her sleep”, Jongup complained and I smirked at him when the girl moved a bit. “But at least she'd be happy.”

“Ha...ppy?”, I repeated carefully and scanned her from head to toe. “I want to be happy too.”

“Jun...hong”, she mumbled and reached out with her hand in her sleep as if to grab something. I blinked in surprise and took the hand after a moment of hesitation. She then smiled, eyes still closed. “I'm so sorry.”

“What are you sorry for?”, I asked with a frown and turned to look at Jongup, but he was no longer there. One of the Untouchables stood there instead – “The Action”, was his nickname, the more active half of the organization's founders, since Sleepy was the brain. My eyes widened. “What are you doing here?”, I managed to say as my throat turned dry and a mad grin appeared on his face.

“Flowers bloom, then they wither.”

His voice sent chills up my spine. Before I could reply, he pointed at the girl and the hand I was still holding slowly turned dark, then crumbled into dust, like withering petals. “No.” I grabbed her other hand with big eyes, but it pulverized as well. Panic made the blood pound in my ears. “No, Soora. Stay with me. I'll trust you, okay? So stop. No, please don't leave now”, I kept mumbling and hugged her tightly as if it would stop her from fading, but she disappeared anyway, her dust being taken away by the wind.

Gone.

I didn't think it would hurt so much to see this. A long silence surrounded me and the Untouchable member. Why was my chest hurting so bad after the girl was gone? That's not how I had wanted this to go. But I knew the answer. I stared after the cloud of dust she had become and then closed my eyes. “Don't say we didn't warn you”, the Action's voice growled behind me and I ripped my eyes open again. This time, there were no flowers. It was dark. And he was gone, too.

I felt the soft texture of a blanket and a pillow and tried to relax, since I was breathing heavily after this nightmare. It had started off so well, but then... Your technique doesn't work with me, Jongup, I thought, closing my eyes once more and taking a deep breath to calm down. That's when I realized the scent of shampoo in my nose. And the constant breathing of someone right next to me. And the feeling of someone's back resting against my chest. What is this?

It took me a moment to find out that it was the girl, lying in my arms while she was still sleeping. I tried to find a reason for this. Maybe, when I held her in my dream world, I probably did the same in the real one. My breath hitched and my body stiffened as I realized it, carefully trying to push her away from me so that she wouldn't wake up and this wouldn't get any more awkward than it already was. Then suddenly, she turned around, almost leaning against my chest again, but I was quick to back away and avoid the contact. “Jun...hong”, she whispered in her sleep, a smile on her lips and I stopped once more, recalling the field of flowers and how she had reached out with her hand. It was a dream. Just a dream. Now get away from her and forget about this, Zelo.

I crawled out of the bed, trying not to strain my hand more than necessary and dropped down silently. Since I had slept in my street clothes, I took my phone out of the pocket to have a look at the time. After being blinded by the screen, it showed me '6.03AM' and I sighed. It was Monday, she would have to get up in about an hour. “Thank god, Hye-sun didn't see us”, I groaned, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I made my way down the stairs to get some jelly.

There was someone in the kitchen and I stopped for a second, but decided to just invent some explanation when asked about why I came from upstairs. The person sitting in the kitchen was the girl's old man, reading the newspaper.

“You're up quite early”, I said quietly and bowed when he turned around.

“Same goes for you. I've got to go to work in a few minutes”, Mr. Kim replied with a blank expression.

“I see.” I opened the fridge to get myself said jelly and sat down at the kitchen table, frantically trying to put my dream off as completely fictional. “I hope you find a solution for your damaged cargo.”

“Thanks.” He raised his head again and scanned my face. Ah , I didn't think of- “Is that a contusion?”

I bit my lip, looking down at my food. “Yes, I happened to run into a fight yesterday... It was when I was on my way home and they attacked me out of nowhere. I'm fine though, this doesn't normally happen to me, it was an accident...” I gritted my teeth, ready for a deprecative comment.

Mr. Kim took a deep breath. “You should be more careful, there are many dangerous people out there you don't want to get involved with. Make sure you don't have a bad influence on my Soora. I know how much she wants to explore the world, but I don't want her to get involved with gangsters. If you can't do that, you'll have to leave, got it?”

“Yes, sir. I'm sorry. It won't happen again”, I answered meekly, not knowing what else to say since his voice had been as cold as ice.

He then exhaled quietly and a tiny smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. “It's fine. I believe you when you say it was an accident. I'm just worried, that's all. Well then, I'll get ready for work, see you later.”

“Sure, have a nice day”, I replied politely and bowed my head once more.

“And, Zelo? It was Zelo, right?” He glanced at me once more before leaving for his room. “Good thing you made it home.”

I paused as he disappeared from my field of vision. I had called this house my home before, right? I didn't mean to...I mean, home is where the heart is, right? I looked at the spoon in my hand, moving it around. “If I can't do that, I have to leave, huh?”, I mumbled, thinking of my dream. I would never hug her like that, it's absurd, I thought, but a warm tingle appeared in my chest as if to tell me I was lying. I'll just make sure she stays away from them, it will work out somehow... My chest tingled once more and I let out a sound of frustration. “This can't be happening, it's not that I like her or something like that”, I tried to convince myself again, but my fingers stopped moving around the spoon.

That's when I realized that I really didn't want to leave anymore. I didn't want to leave Soora. But if I don't, she will- The way she had crumbled in my arms came to my mind again and a stitch made my heart ache. After all the disgust I had felt towards her at the beginning, now, when I had the chance to leave..I didn't want to anymore?

“I'm a hopeless idiot”, I groaned, burying my face in my hands.

 

 

Soora's POV

 

When I woke up, Zelo wasn't lying beside me anymore. “He probably took the first chance to get away”, I mumbled with a hearty yawn and a hint of disappointment in my voice, blinking the sleep out of my eyes. “Not that I cared.” I had slept well, at least I couldn't remember what I had dreamed about, which was a good sign. I only remembered my nightmares.

It was one of the first times that I woke up in time without having Zelo or Hye-sun come into my room, and I opened the shutters by myself to let some light in. It was 7 AM, I had to get ready for school. Zelo was nowhere to be seen, but judging by the closed door to his room, he had probably buried himself in there as always. Hye-sun quietly prepared my lunchbox and I ran up and down the stairs to prepare for school, when the package of painkillers came to my mind and I stared at them for a moment before grabbing them and running downstairs again. Just when I was about to leave, I carefully placed them in front of Zelo's door. “I'm leaving! Bye!”, I shouted and ran up to the car to go to school.

 

“I'm not joking, my whole body hurts!”, Sohee whined for the umpteenth time that day and I rolled with my eyes. “And have you seen my hair? I swear it lost some of its shininess because of that week-end!”

Listen, it's not like I forced you to come along in the first place. You could have said no”, I retorted and she took a deep breath, biting her lower lip, because I was right. A sigh escaped my lips. “But it was good to have you around, your food really was delicious – wasn't it, Daehyun?”

“Huh? Yeah, it really was!”, the young man, who was eating his lunch, answered between two bites.

“I told you, his opinion doesn't count, he eats everything”, Sohee mumbled sheepishly and pouted. “But I'll let you off for now, because I'm so nice, got it?”

“Sure you are”, we replied in unison and I raised an eyebrow, picking up my chopsticks again. Even though I was talking with everyone as always, my brain was working on a plan to help Zelo. The sight he provided was pitiful and my heart ached every time I recalled the pained expression I had seen on his face the evening before. I had a plan for the next day, it was almost perfect, all I needed was a medium of transportation to get away if something went wrong, but the bus would probably do. A hand waved in front of my eyes and I blinked. “Huh?”

“Jeez, you really didn't listen”, Sohee complained. “I said I'm going to go. See you later?”

“Oh? Ah, sure”, I replied and shook my head to get rid off my thoughts for now. “Sorry, I was deep in thought... See you later, Sohee.” She smirked a little before getting up and turning around to leave for the classroom.

Daehyun scanned my face with a worried look on his. “Are you sure you're alright? Is it Jongup? You told me he'd be fine, so don't feel guilty, I know how good you are at blaming yourself...”

“That's not it”, I replied quickly and stretched my back. “I'll go visit him after school, he should be at home by now... I'm just a little restless, I... don't know why.” I smiled at Daehyun, but he didn't seem very convinced.

“Want to go for a run on my motorbike tomorrow? They said the weather would be nice, we could drive to the river again, after school?”, he suggested and I knew he wouldn't stop trying until I said yes.

I smiled at him. “Yeah, why not? But I've got something to do before that, could you come and pick me up at the inner city instead of right after school?”

His frown deepened. “What's there to do? Can I help?”

I shook my head. “No, it's just a minor thing I should get done to get it off my mind. I'm fine, don't worry.”

“Ah...okay.” Medium of transportation: check. “Oh...”, Daehyun mumbled before stopping and carefully reaching out with his hand and softly over my cheek. I sat still in surprise until he showed me his index finger. “There was an eyelash. Come on, make a wish”, he explained, causing me to relax and smile. Who wished upon an eyelash these days? Well...I did. Please let me be able to help Zelo, I thought with my eyes shut and blew on the finger so that the tiny lash flew away. When I opened my eyes again, I saw Daehyun's smile directed towards me and I returned it. I should have wished for him to get along with Youngjae, too... he needs to know how much Daehyun worries about him.

“I'm looking forward to our small trip tomorrow”, I stated cheerfully and he grinned back at me.

“Yeah, me too.”

 

When I got home, the painkillers I had placed in front of Zelo's door were gone and I sighed in relief. He hadn't rejected it. Then, when I walked upstairs, I found a note in front of the door to my room.

I'm off looking after Jongup. I'll tell you about his state when I'm back, so don't worry.

Zelo

“Since when would he voluntarily go to Jongup? I thought they hated each other...”, I mumbled, but shrugged it off, taking my phone out instead. “Are you alright? Want me to come visit you?”, I wrote to Jongup and received a reply within seconds, as if nothing was wrong.

Nah, everything's okay. I'm fine, no need to come by~

“Even he says so...”, I said quietly, sitting down at my desk. Jongup had always wanted me to come by, it was a little off. Was I being replaced by the stick-figure now? I had to ask them later...

I received a new message on Facebook and had a look at it. It was from Jin-oppa! “Hi, Soora, long time no see!”, he wrote.

I'm going to fly to Korea in about a month, do you want to meet up then? o3o

I bet we both have a lot to talk about, right? Riiiight? °^°

My girlfriend will be jealous, haha! :D I hope you have some time to spare! See you soon~~ <3

Jin

I grinned at all his smileys and wrote a quick affirmative answer. Then again, I had to think of Zelo once more. “Jin. His last name was Choi and I called him Jin, that's all I remember”, his voice sounded in my head again. It isn't him, right? He would have told me.

Since Jongup didn't seem to want to see me, I sat down on my bed to watch some drama episodes. That's when I noticed that the book I had read the evening before, Romeo and Juliet, wasn't there anymore. “Strange...I left it there, didn't I?”, I said in confusion while examining my nightstand. Did Zelo take it? No way, he's not romantic enough for stuff like this. But on the other hand, he wasn't stupid, so why not? In the end, I decided to shrug it off and ask him later when he got home. (From my best friend's house, by the way.)

After two episodes, I prepared everything for my “Help-Zelo-Plan” and made sure everything would work the way I wanted it to work. What? You want to know what my plan was? It wouldn't be fun anymore if you knew everything, right? Wait patiently!

“I'm back!”, Zelo shouted from downstairs and I was quick to hide my gear before he came up the staircase.

“Welcome back. Jongup said there was no need to come by and I-”

“I know, I was there when you texted him”, the stick-figure replied and I pouted, causing him to raise an eyebrow. “What? Are you jealous, because I met up with him?”, he started teasing me, but I endured it. “It's alright, he just didn't want to bother you.”

I put away my laptop to look at him. “Is he really okay? I hope he doesn't strain his body too much...”

“He's fine, I made sure he didn't move unless it was necessary”, my opponent explained while stretching his back and I glanced at his jaw, then at his hand.

“And what about you?”

“Me?” Zelo seemed confused and cocked his head to the side.

“Your hand. Jaw. Chest. How much do they hurt?”

“A lot”, he answered with a shrug. “But it's not as bad as I thought. The hand will heal sooner or later, the rest is almost done already. Thanks for the painkillers.” Zelo paused when he saw my judging expression. “Now don't make that face, I won't get beaten up like this again. I'll have enough money to pay them next time.” I opened my mouth to say something, but he raised his hand in order to stop me and his body tensed up. “And no, you won't do something against them. I told you three times already, now just mind your own business, okay?”

My eyes glimpsed at the cupboard where plan's gear was stowed away, but I swallowed my comment and lowered my head. The fewer he suspected, the easier it would be tomorrow. “Fine...”, I mumbled.

He didn't seem satisfied. “I can't hear you.”

“Fine!”, I repeated, loud enough to make him flinch in surprise and a smirk appeared on my face as I stood up and kept up my tone of voice. “I'm hungry!” I could hear him mumble something like“such a kid” behind me, but he seemed to relax again and followed me downstairs. Who's the kid?, I thought while we both grabbed something to eat and sat down on the sofa, switching on the TV. We started making fun of the horrible actors at first, but quieted down after some time.

“Did you...Did you sleep well?”, Zelo asked after some time and I looked at him in surprise, but his eyes were glued to the screen as if he hadn't said anything.

“Ah...euh, yeah. But you weren't there when I woke up, what about you?”

He kept avoiding my gaze and bit his lower lip before replying. “I was up quite early, that's all.” He started twisting the spoon he had eaten his jelly with in his hand. After another moment, he finally turned his head to look at me. “It...was a kind of action-filled dream, I couldn't stay in bed after waking up, you know?”

“Oh, what happened?”, I asked curiously, but he averted his eyes again. “Tell me!”

“I ran through a field of ...flowers”, he admitted, scratching the back of his head and I laughed out loud. “They started to wither all of a sudden! I tried to protect one of them, but it didn't work! I was panicking, okay?”, he explained in frustration, but all I could imagine was him jumping through a field of flowers.

“Withering? Seriously? It doesn't make sense at all! Why would you even care about a single flower if there was a whole field of them? Action-filled, my .” I was still chuckling, but Zelo seemed deep in thought again.

“Yeah, I wonder why it had to be that one, too...” Something told me that this flower-stuff had a bigger importance to him than I expected, but I didn't feel like asking him now. It was some really deep stuff he was thinking about. Probably. Or he was wondering why he didn't pick his favorite color, I don't know. “Well, nevermind! It was just a dream anyway, right? Right.” It sounded as if he wanted to convince himself instead of talking to me, but I was fine with it. At least he didn't hide in his room anymore, I liked his presence.

“What do you want to do this evening?”, I asked casually, causing him to stop the monologue he held in his head to look at me.

“Me? Don't know... Maybe watch something on TV? Go to bed early? Anything that doesn't involve moving too much... Why, what about you?”

I shrugged. “That's why I asked you. Then let's watch some episodes of a random show. You choose.” We had a look at the lineup and, much to my surprise, settled on a new drama. “You like that kind of stuff?”, I asked, but Zelo didn't know the answer himself.

“I never watched a drama, I was told they were quite predictable and wasn't interested.”

I gasped loud enough to make him turn to me in surprise. “You. Never. Watched. A drama?! God, do you live on the moon? Remain seated, I'll get the popcorn!”, was all I said while running into the kitchen and leaving him behind in confusion. There would be no need for a proper dinner and I wrote a message to Hye-sun that she was free this evening before walking back into the living room. Zelo really hadn't moved, maybe he had learned that actually listening to me could be helpful.

“Shouldn't I know what the story is about?”, he asked, but I waved it off.

“All you need to know will be obvious once the episode starts. It's the third and fourth, you didn't miss too much yet, but the actors are just soooo handsome!”, I stated, but tried to hold myself back since it was kind of embarrassing to fangirl over a drama character in front of Zelo.

“To be honest, I'm kind of scared now”, he mumbled, but I signalized him to be quiet since the episode started.

I didn't know this drama would change the way I looked at Zelo.

 

 


Hey guys <3 Back with an update (/o.o)/

To the subscribers of my other stories who might be reading this, I'm sorry for not updating them in so long, forgive me m(._.)m

Have some ZeRa/SooLo (She's solo xD)