Oblivious

Learn to love again

“Oh, you have a visitor?”, Himchan asked in surprise, trying to find out who was standing next to me. He walked through the corridor, his giant suitcase in tow and halted at the living room's door.

It was then that I noticed that Junhong was still holding my hand and I flinched, making sure not to touch him anymore, but I'm sure Himchan saw it. Junhong swallowed, eyes still wide as he lowered his gaze and paced towards the main entrance. Though he was probably as rattled as me, he didn't fail to surprise me with a bow towards Himchan.

“N-nice to meet you, Himchan-sshi”, he mumbled before he was past the door and out of sight within seconds. I was standing there, lips pressed together as Himchan gazed after Junhong for a moment, opening his mouth and inhaling.

“Don't ask”, I interrupted him through my clenched teeth. “Just this one time. Don't ask, please. I'll explain...maybe.”

“Is my princess turning red?”

“Am not!”

So, this was my big brother, Kim Himchan, who had just returned from Japan. He couldn't have chosen a worse time to come back. Himchan let go of his suitcase with a shrug and spread his arms towards me, inviting me for a hug. I was so confused by what had happened during the last five minutes; a hug was a good idea. I was locked in my brother's arms, inhaling his scent – it hadn't changed since the last time I'd seen him. “I'm back”, he stated the obvious and I closed my eyes, overwhelmed by all my memories that were connected to this feeling of safety.

It's been a long time. “Welcome home, big bro.” I could feel how my heartbeat slowed down, comforted by Himchan's presence, and I just decided not to think about Junhong. At least I'd try not to do so. Let me tell you that repression is never a good choice. “You didn't message me”, I pouted, face still buried in the crook of his neck as he chuckled.

“Well, it was a surprise after all...kind of.” I could hear that he wanted to ask about Junhong, but held back for me and I was thankful for that. “How's school, everything's okay?”, he wanted to know instead and I looked at him with a smile.

“Yes, it's fine. I have enough help to pass the exams somehow, I think. Not much of a problem.” I saw his disapproving gaze before he even had to say anything.

“You know, 'pass the exams somehow' is not what I wanted to hear, right?”

“I'll be fine, I promise. Not everybody is born to study, okay?”, I replied, patting his shoulder before sitting down on the sofa. “But what about you? You didn't bring your girlfriend with you?”, I asked and he nodded, causing me to pout. “I'd love to get to know her...”

“She didn't want to be a bother and didn't come along. But it's just for a week or two after all and she's got stuff to do, too.”

“Ah, she's a part-time model and a student at the same time, right?” Again, he nodded and I leaned back on my seat. “She has to be good-looking then. And smart, too?”

His eyes became dreamy. “She's the most beautiful woman, I swear.”

“Woah, calm down there, fool in love, and bring your luggage upstairs”, I and he snapped out of his trance with a smirk before doing exactly that. While he was heaving his suitcase up the stairs, my emotions from before came back again and I tried to control them with all my might. It was as if some kind of dam broke inside of me and now, my mind was flooded with every emotion imaginable at the same time. The biggest problem to me was that there was too much happiness and not enough guilt and anger in that ocean.

“You took some of my clothes again, didn't you?”, I heard my brother shout from upstairs with a hint of amusement in his voice and I swallowed.

“L-let's say I borrowed them, okay?”, I negotiated with a slight crack in my voice, feeling a lump in my throat. I had taken them for Junhong the other day.

“Hey, princess-” Himchan came down the stairs again and carefully took one of my hands in his with a frown. I flinched, barely notable, but I'm sure he had felt it as he looked at me with soft eyes. “Tell me about it. Whatever it is. And don't tell give me that 'it's nothing' reply. You're looking horrible, if I may say that.”

“I know”, I muttered, rubbing my sleeve across my eyes to remove the last traces of possible tears. “But it's okay, I'll...I'll just go to see Jongup, okay? Sorry, but you can't help me with this right now.” Himchan sighed before letting go of my hand and patting my head.

“So you don't trust me anymore?”, he asked teasingly and I shook my head.

“It's because Jongup is younger. He can relate”, I retorted with a tiny smirk, causing Himchan to snort in pretended anger.

“Fine. Grandpa-Himchan is going to unpack his stuff then. Come back quickly, okay? I haven't seen you in what seems like forever and I missed you all here... If I can help in any way...You know I will do anything, right?”

“Sure”, I smiled shyly. “Thanks, Chanie. I'll be back in no time, you will see!”

I was completely done with this. I started collecting various things. Phone. Wallet. Bus ticket. Shoes. And then I went out, leaving my brother behind as if he had never been gone. As if I hadn't missed him as much as I had thought the day before. “Junhong, you rat”, I growled before sighing, noticing that my hand was trembling as I touched my lips. “But who am I to judge you?” I dialed Jongup's number and he answered only seconds later.

Soora? Where's Zelo? Is he with you? Did he do anything-

“Jongup”, I whined, feeling the tears come back as I heard the concern in his voice.

Soora, if he hurt you, I swear I'm gonna kill him.”

“Jongup”, sobbed I again, clutching at my phone while desperately trying not to fall down. “I have done something horribly stupid.”

 

I reached his house after what seemed like forever. Actually, it was just 20 minutes. I was barely keeping my emotions in check while on the bus, but the weird glances the other people shot my way were enough for me to know that I wasn't very successful. Jongup was waiting at the bus stop, worrying about me and what might have happened. Just when the doors of the vehicle opened, I dashed towards the purple-haired appearance that was so familiar to me.

I clutched at his dark jacket and buried my face in his chest as if he was the only thing in my world that wouldn't do a surprise turnaround. “I'm an idiot!”, I shouted, voice muffled by the cloth as Jongup's arms wrapped around me to pull me closer, his breath slightly my ear with every word he said.

“Shh, Soora. Keep calm and let's go inside, okay? And if anyone is, Zelo is the idiot-”

“No, he's not, don't you understand? He's not, Jongup”, I interrupted him, my grasp on his jacket tightening as I shook my head. “I'm the stupid one, not him. Not him...”

He managed to bring me into the house somehow and I stumbled up the stairs, my hand never letting go of his arm as if he would disappear if I did. Once we arrived at his apartment, I sat down on the sofa and he did the same, not daring to leave my side. “Now, what did he do to you?”, he asked calmly and I shook my head again.

“It's not him. Well, to a certain degree, yes, but... It's my fault. I was the fool, I was being oblivious of it.”

Jongup frowned, my hair out of the way so that he could look at me. “Oblivious of what exactly, Soora?”

“Zelo.” His nickname sounded strange in my ears, because I was accustomed to using his actual name by now. “He woke me up just now. It was all a dream and now I woke up. And you know what?” I stared at Jongup, who didn't seem to know how to react. “Reality .”

“Did anyone ever tell you that it's bothersome if you talk in metaphors?”, he mumbled while scratching the back of his head and I snorted.

“Hye-sun did. Yesterday, to be exact.”

He grinned. “I can always count on her”, he concluded before turning serious again. “So, you woke...up. Why do you think it ?”

I buried my face in my hands with a sigh. “Nothing is as easy as I thought.”

“Regarding what aspect?”

I couldn't avoid it any longer, I had to tell him somehow. “It would be a dream if Daehyun was enough. Zelo is my reality though. I knew that as soon as he-”

I bit my lower lip, not daring to speak on, but Jongup got it, a mixture of horror and comprehension on his face. “You fell for Zelo. You really did.” I could only swallow and my opponent hissed, clenching his eyes shut for a second. “You really are impossible, Soora. You're idiots, both of you. You know that you-”

“I know! I have a boyfriend! And I know! Dad is probably never going to allow this!”, I shouted a bit too loud, quieting down on the spot and looking at my friend, asking for help. “He kissed me, Jongup”, I whispered and a shadow of hurt flashed in his eyes, but was gone before I could even think about it. “And I didn't even try to stop him.” The silence was painful and I formed fists with my trembling hands. “Jongup, say something. Anything!”

It took him another moment before he breathed in. “You don't want to hurt Daehyun. But you have to. He's not the one you need. Am I right?” I nodded hesitantly, not daring to look at him. That was the thought I had tried not to think all this time, but it was the only explanation for how I reacted on Junhong. I liked Daehyun, but not in the way it should be.“Boy, how do you get in this kind of situation in the first place?”, he hissed, running a hand through his hair before spreading his arms again. “Come here.” I let myself fall against him and he locked me in his arms to comfort me. “It will be alright. At least you know what you have to do, right? What did Zelo say back there?”

I sniffled and closed my eyes. “He was jealous of Daehyun. That's the essence of it. We were shouting at each other.” My voice was barely audible, but I was glad Jongup let me talk about it. He had always been such a good friend, no matter what I had done. “We didn't have the chance to talk a lot...Himchan just got back from Japan.”

Jongup stopped my hair in surprise. “Big bro is back? Perfect timing as always, huh?” I rolled with my eyes.

“Of course, what else did you expect?”

“Did he see...the two of you?”, he asked carefully and I shrugged.

“Don't know. I ordered him not to ask me about anything for the moment. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn't. But I'm sure he suspects something... But, seriously...what am I going to do now?”

I sat up straight again, glancing at Jongup in despair and he thought about it for some time. “You know you have to tell Daehyun. You can't do this to him any longer.”

“But it would break his heart!”, I exclaimed, lowering my shoulders.

“If you keep playing the good girlfriend, it will only get worse, I swear, Soora. I know it's hard for you, but don't make this any more difficult, please. Trust me.”

I knew he was right, but thinking about something and actually doing it are two completely different aspects. How the hell should I tell Daehyun that he wasn't what I needed? Especially since I had thought differently only a few days ago. But Jongup really was right. Daehyun deserved the truth. I had to tell him somehow. “I'm a horrible human being, am I not, Jongup?”

He must have heard the defeat in my voice and sighed. “You're still young, don't worry too much about it. Everybody makes mistakes and that's okay. That's how we learn.”

“But I really am horrible, right?”

“Maybe you are, but I don't care. Nobody should.”

I sniffled once more with a silent grin tugging at my mouth's corners. “You sound like an old man, saying stuff like that”, I snorted, shoving his arm playfully. “But thank you. I can just hope you're right.”

“Are you feeling better?”

“Yeah...” I took a deep breath before standing up from the sofa, straightening my back. “I'm sorry for bothering you with my problems.”

“No probs, princess. I've always been there and I always will be. No matter what.” There was a nostalgic tone to his voice, but as I turned to glance at him, he looked just the same as always. Probably your imagination... “Tell Himchan-hyung I said hi, will you?” I nodded, hugging him one last time before leaving.

“Thanks a lot. I knew I could count on you. I'll go back then, see you, Jongup.”

“Bye, my princess. Talk to them. Both of them.”

“I will”, I whispered with a last wave of my hand as I walked past the door and down the stairs again. Neither did I know that only a few hours ago, Junhong had been walking down the exact same stairs, nor did I realize that, at some point, Jongup must have had feelings for me and that he had given them up for the sake of friendship.

Oblivious as always, that's me. Well done, Soora. Well done.

 

 

 


Poor Himchan is totally being ignored |D

And poor Jongup is forever going to be in the friendzone ;^;

 

 

DID YOU SEE the new teasers?! I just can't contain my happiness, this comeback is going to be so awesome °^° It's a dark concept again <3 My Himchan looks gorgeous again ;^;
I'm already preparing for the feelz on the 16th xD