Chapter 5

Trouble

“Taetae? I have something really important to tell you.” Tiffany was nervous.

“Hmmm? What is it?” Taeyeon was busy eating her ice cream. She has taken some days off to calm herself. If she stays at work or is left alone anywhere but on Tiffany’s place, she would only remember Jessica and it scares her. She has been too bothered of the thought that Jessica will be back in Korea and she’s too afraid that they might bump into each other so she chose to stay at Tiffany’s place for as long as she can to avoid bumping into her ex-lover. Also, being near with Tiffany gives her some sense of tranquility and security. She doesn’t really understand how but she just feels that way.

“Can you be my girlfriend?” Tiffany is so red now from her neck to her face and up to her ears. Someone could even mistaken her as having high fever.

“WH---WHAT?! ARE YOU FOR REAL?!” Taeyeon spit out her ice cream. She was even choked with what’s left on .

Tiffany stood there. Frozen. That voice. She could surely recognize it even from a crowd of people. That back her. She can still recognize it even from a far. Yuri-ah. She can’t believe her eyes. Yuri is really there. Standing in front of her and ordering coffee on her favorite shop.

And when the woman in front of her finally turned around, everything just went blank for Tiffany. She’s still the same. Tall, lean, still captivating. Even prettier. What is she doing here? Why is she here? What the hell?!

Tiffany started to panic. She was about to walk out but the other woman spoke first before she could turn on her heels.

“Fa---Tiffany.” Yuri softly spoke. Eyes glued on the woman in front of her. It’s been too long since she saw her. The only woman she loved that much. So much. She wanted to hug her tight and never to let her go again but she held back herself. She can’t. She just can’t. Not now. Everything would have gone to waste if she will submit to her weakness now.

“Uhhmmm. Would you like to order?” Yuri managed to speak and stepped aside making room for Tiffany to order.

Tiffany mustered all the sanity that has remained in her. She stepped forward and tried every inch of her being to control her voice and control it from shaking.

“Two vanilla caramel please.” She could feel her heart racing. Trying very hard to compose herself and act cool in front of Yuri…her ex-girlfriend.

Both stepped aside and waited for their orders. Tiffany kept fidgeting on the hem of her blouse. She was nervous as hell. Yuri on the other hand kept tapping her foot. It was overwhelming for her seeing her ex-lover again. Let alone being near her again. She could smell the sweet scent of Tiffany’s perfume and the intoxicating scent of her shampoo. .

You’ve gotten so much prettier Fany-ah. So pretty. You used to be brunette back then but that black hair suits you nonetheless. Heck even red or purple or whatever color you may change your hair into, you’d still be the prettiest girl in my eyes. Yuri heaved a sigh at her own thought. She must not be thinking and feeling this way anymore. She thought she was over it already but seeing her in person, and having her beside her again, she just couldn’t help but have weaken knees.

“So…” Yuri started off without glancing on Tiffany’s way. Her eyes were still glued on the floor. She doesn’t know what she could do if she would stare at her ex-lover’s eyes again.

“How have you been? It’s been a while.” Yuri was feeling nauseous starting off the conversation with the girl beside her.

“I’m fine.” Tiffany could only mutter those two words. Everything in her well-being is starting to shake inside. Everything is just too much for her to handle. It’s just too overwhelming. She could feel her heart pounding against her ribcage. She just wants to disappear right there and then. Be eaten up by the ground and never to return again.

And as if the Gods have heard her prayers, the cashier interrupted them.

“Excuse me ma’am, two vanilla caramel.”

Only God knows how thankful she was at the cashier that moment. She quickly grabbed the two cups and when she her heels she was greeted by a frowning Yuri with an unreadable expression and a questioning eyes looking at the two cups she was holding.

“F---for my girlfriend. Bye!” Tiffany rushed off towards the exit. She couldn’t take it any longer. Being so near with Yuri again and seeing her up close, it’s just too much for her to handle.

Tiffany was gasping for air. After bolting out from the café she hurriedly walked aimlessly trying to calm herself from the unexpected encounter with her ex-lover. She ended up on a nearby park. She was panting from all the walk and all the emotions that resurfaced. She tried to calm herself once again. She laid back on a bench and closed her eyes. After a while she glanced at the two cups beside her, she was even more frustrated at the mess she’s now with. She angrily threw them at the waste bin. She’s screwed. Really screwed up.

“Why did you tell her that?! Are you nuts?!”

“I panicked! Okay?! She was staring at the two cups and she—she was so near me that the only thing that came across my mind was tell her those cups where for my girlfriend.”

“You could’ve just say they’re for your friend. Why do you have to tell her that?”

“I—I panicked. Having her near me was too much to handle Taetae. And besides if she finds out that I already have a girlfriend then I wouldn’t look like the loser-girlfriend-who-lost-everything-after-the-breakup type.” Tiffany could only mumble the last part. Eyes breaming with tears to fall.

Crap. Now it’s my fault. The last thing that Taeyeon would want to see is a crying Tiffany.

“Hush. Now. Now. Come here.” Taeyeon motioned Tiffany for a hug.

“It’s going to be alright. We have each other now remember?” She kept Tiffany’s hair down her back trying to comfort the now sobbing girl. They only have each other after all. Sharing the same sorrow and emptiness after the failed relationships.

“Yo—you ag—agree n—now to—to be m---my pre---pretense gi—gir—girlfriend?” Tiffany managed to speak in between sobs.

“Hush…We’ll talk about this later okay?” Taeyeon kept on trying to soothe her.

“Mmm.” Tiffany could only nod.

She cried on Taeyeon’s arm. Letting the other girl make her feel secured and safe.

It’s funny how the other day it was Taeyeon who was sobbing in her arms, and now looks like the tables have turned. But she doesn’t mind. All that matters now is how comforting and secured each other’s arms could provide them.

Tiffany woke up with Taeyeon’s arm around her. Providing her comfort. She glanced up and stared at the sleeping figure beside her. Thank you Taetae. We can do this. We can do this together. We just have to hang in there a little more. She then succumbed to her exhausted mind. She closed her eyes and went back to sleep. In Taeyeon’s arms.