Chapter 23

Trouble

Yuri stood there, frozen in place after Jessica left the balcony. She mentally scolded herself for doing such thing. But her mind defended itself. It was just a kiss! It didn’t even last a minute! Her hand reached for her lips. It felt warm. She could still feel Jessica’s soft lips against hers. Then her hand felt her chest. She could feel her heart beating faster than usual. The same feeling she felt back in the car when Jessica suddenly opened her eyes while she was placing the jacket at the back of the girl’s head. The same feeling she felt when she was reaching inside the girl’s shirt to put the pads at the girls back to relieve pain. The same feeling she felt a few minutes ago when she was holding the girl by the waist and pressing her close to hers… Her heart has been beating faster than usual at certain instances for the past few months. Aish!

*

Jessica quickened her steps downstairs and headed straight to the minibar. She took a few shots of the bitter liquid. Her heart was racing. But not because of almost running downstairs. Her hand reached for her lips. Yuri’s lips felt so soft against hers. Jessica shook her head furiously trying to erase the scene that kept playing on her mind. She reached for another shot trying to calm herself. It was just a kiss that kkab Yul did to scare the guy away! Jessica tried to rationalize things. But the way her heart was still beating fast and the warm feeling still lingering on her lips… She couldn’t rationalize such thing.

*

The ride home was quiet. Yuri focused on driving while Jessica stared out the window. When they reached their apartment Jessica was fast asleep on the passenger’s seat. Yuri turned off the engine and glanced at the sleeping girl. She just stared. She couldn’t understand herself now. Her feelings. She stared as if staring at the sleeping girl would answer her questions in mind.

When she was exhausted from thinking a lot of things, she slowly reached for Jessica and gently shook her.

“Sica…hey…wake up. We’re home.” Yuri softly spoke.

Jessica stirred for a while and slowly opened her eyes. She saw Yuri gently gazing at her with expression that she couldn’t quite tell.

“Let’s head upstairs. It’s late already.” Yuri then got off the car and opened the door for her.

Jessica got off the car and slowly walked upstairs with Yuri walking beside her. When they reached inside the apartment Jessica headed straight to her room.

Yuri watched her retreating figure and the door shut behind Jessica.

***

Yuri took Tiffany home. Tiffany hesitated at first but Yuri insisted on bringing her home to make sure she’s safe. Tiffany didn’t argue anymore. She was worn out. She just wanted to go home and sleep.

“Fany-ah?” Yuri gently shook the sleeping girl.

“Hmmm…” Tiffany stirred.

“We’re here. Outside your apartment already.” Tiffany heard Yuri softly say. She opened her eyes and saw concern on the other girl’s eyes.

“Give me your keys and hop on my back. I’ll carry you.” Yuri got off the cab and extended her hand.

Tiffany stared at her for a moment.

Yuri tilted her head and ushered for Tiffany.

Tiffany hesitantly handed Yuri her keys.

“I can walk.” She softly declined the other girl’s offer.

“Nuh-uh. I know you’re tired. And I know your legs are weak. Now come on and don’t argue.” Yuri shook her head and positioned herself outside the cab a few steps from the open door.

Tiffany got off the cab and walked past Yuri.

“Yah!” Yuri hurriedly stood up and caught on with the other girl.

“I told you I can still manage to walk. My body is still----” Tiffany was cut off when she almost stumbled forward. Because truth be told, her legs were indeed weak and began to wobble. When she stepped on a rock her legs immediately gave her away.

“Aish! I told you to get on my back!” Yuri was able to catch Tiffany from stumbling forward.

“I’m fine really.” Tiffany tried to protest. Being friends again with the girl and being colleagues was fine with Tiffany. But having Yuri acting this way was driving her nuts. It’s starting to stir something inside her.

“Hwang Miyoung!” Yuri held Tiffany by the wrist stopping the girl from taking another step.

Tiffany froze. It’s been long ago since she heard Yuri call her by that name again. A name that Yuri only uses when the girl is trying to emphasize things. And before she could react, Yuri swept her up bridal style.

“Yah! What are you doing?!”

“Carrying you to your room.”

“Put me down!”

“Ssshh! You’re going to wake up the neighbors!” Yuri hissed.

Tiffany immediately covered .

*

“What have you been eating? You’ve gotten heavy.” Yuri grinned after putting Tiffany down in front of the girl’s apartment room.

“Yah!” Tiffany hit Yuri by the arm.

Yuri laughed it off. Tiffany was also laughing along. Yuri was content seeing the smile on Tiffany’s face again.

“You go sleep now. I’ll just stay here a little bit.” Yuri ushered for Tiffany to go inside her room after both of them arrived inside the apartment.

“But-- what are you going to do here?” Tiffany was confused.

“I’ll just stay here. Make sure you’re asleep. I don’t want you roaming around the city alone again.”

Tiffany knew what it meant. She hesitated but eventually approached Yuri and gave her a hug.

“Thank you Yuri-ah.” Tiffany smiled before heading to her room.

Yuri stayed at the living room. She looked around the apartment. Smile forming her lips every time she sees pink stuff scattered around the room. Pink little monster.

After about half an hour, Yuri stood up and headed outside Tiffany’s door. She pondered for a while before slowly turning the doorknob.

With the small lamp at the bedside table, Yuri saw Tiffany peacefully sleeping hugging a pillow. She slowly approached the sleeping figure and stopped beside her.

Fany-ah… She just stared at the sleeping figure. Afraid to wake her peaceful sleep. Please be careful always. What if I won’t be around next time? I know you’re stubborn, but please just be careful. Take care of yourself always. Her hand gently brushed Tiffany’s fringe aside.

Then a picture by the bedside table caught Yuri’s eye. It was a photo of Tiffany happily wrapping her arms around the other girl’s waist who was also smiling widely while her hand was on Tiffany’s shoulders. Taeyeon. She sighed.

Yuri made a one last glance at the sleeping figure then headed out of the room.

***

Jessica was sitting quietly at her office’s couch.

“Here, have some water.” Taeyeon approached her and sat beside her on the couch.

“Thank you.” Jessica took the glass of water from Taeyeon.

“I think it’s enough for tonight. Let’s just continue working on the project tomorrow. You need some rest.” Taeyeon’s voice was filled with concern.

Jessica just nodded.

“I’ll drive you home.” Taeyeon then stood up and went to the table to gather her things.

“But I’m fine. I can drive.”

“No buts Sica.” Taeyeon sternly stated.

Jessica knew better not to argue if Taeyeon uses that tone. The do-what-you-are-told-tone that Taeyeon would use whenever she ends up a discussion. She also stood up and gathered her things.

*

The drive home was quiet. Jessica just stared out the window.

Taeyeon was stealing glances at the quiet girl beside her. That punk! I swear I’ll leave him with no unbroken bone if his dirty car left a mark on her. She unconsciously gripped tighter the stirring wheel while staring ahead.

“I’ll walk you up.” Taeyeon turned off the engine and was about to get off the car but was halted when the girl beside her spoke.

“No it’s fine. I can manage.”

“Are you sure?” worry still evident on Taeyeon’s face.

Jessica nodded.

“It’s late. You should head home Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon wanted to protest but then eventually gave in. She didn’t want to argue with the girl. She just wanted her to have a rest. “Okay. Be careful okay? Good night Sica.”

“I will. Thank you. Good night Taeyeon. Drive safely.” Jessica weakly smiled and got off the car.

***

Yuri kept stirring in bed. It’s been an hour but she still couldn’t sleep. She heard the front door open and close then the door next to her room. Jessica just arrived. Yuri covered her face tight with a pillow until she was gasping for air. She was becoming frustrated of being unable to sleep. A lot of thoughts were clouding her mind. Her concern over Tiffany. The happy picture of Tiffany and Taeyeon that she saw. And an unexpected thought, Jessica. Why am I even thinking about her?! Aish! Yuri grumbled. She tried to dismiss the thought of Jessica but would always fail. Images of their kiss at the beach house suddenly flashed her mind. You ert! Why are you thinking of that kiss at this time of the night?! She smacked herself.

***

Before entering her own room Taeyeon headed first to Tiffany’s room. She just wanted to check the other girl. After seeing the girl sound asleep she then headed to her room and took a quick shower. When she was done she made her way into the bed and under the covers. She let her muscles relax at the soft mattress. She was exhausted from work but a lot of things ran through her mind as she closed her eyes. She opened them again and stared at the ceiling.

She held her chest. Her mind ran back to the horror she felt when she saw the fast car heading towards Jessica. It felt like air was up from her lungs. Her knees have gone weak while she held Jessica tightly in her arms. She was surprised she’d still feel such strong emotion for the other girl.

Taeyeon rolled to her side. And there at the bedside table she saw their picture of Tiffany. She was smiling widely with an arm on Tiffany’s shoulders while the latter wore the same bright smile with crescent moon eyes and hugging her by the waist. It was a photo taken when they were at Sunny’s rest house. A smile crept through Taeyeon’s lips but was eventually followed by a frown. I don’t understand this.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

yay! so what do you think would happen next? ;)

this story is nearing its end. :D