Chapter 26

Trouble

By the nearing end of the convention, the past few days, Tiffany noticed that Yuri seemed to be avoiding her. Whenever they’re working together, the other girl would avoid being alone with her in the same room. Or the other girl would reject having meals together with her. At first Tiffany thought the girl was just busy so she wasn’t spending meals together with her but then later on it doesn’t seem that way. Yuri had been avoiding her and her only. There was a time she asked Yuri for an afternoon break at the cafeteria but the girl declined, only to find out she said yes when the other members of the team invited her. What is wrong with her? Tiffany clearly had no idea. She thought they were already progressing as friends but then all of a sudden the girl started avoiding her.

*

It’s the last day of the convention and everything have gone well. Yuri, Tiffany and the rest of the team have all been receiving praises of how the convention turned out and how satisfied the participants have been. Tiffany was glad that everything turned out well. She was also glad that she could finally have a rest after this big event. But a part of her was sad. The end of this convention would also mean the end of working with Yuri. Tiffany stole a glance at the smiling Yuri who was talking with the rest of the team. So this is it Yuri-ah? She sighed.

***

“I think we should personally apologize to them about the matter and explain everything. We still have time to get there if we go now.” Taeyeon suggested at Jessica who was sitting across from her at the conference room.

The meeting has just ended and after a long heated discussion, they finally decided on what to do next about the matter. It was found out that the previous contractor have tricked the settlers of the land where the planned plant would be built. Taeyeon has reported to Mr. Go everything they found out about the matter and the old man has given her all the power to decide on what’s best for the project. He appointed her to lead and look over the project.

Jessica nodded in agreement. “I’ll have the papers ready. They need enough compensation and explanation of what really happened.”

“Okay. Meet you in an hour then? Let’s just use my car.”

“Okay.”

*

After having an early lunch, Taeyeon and Jessica made a final check of everything they will be needing before they head to Yuchiri. A couple of hours drive village in Hongcheon-gun, Gangwon Province.

It took the two a couple of hours to reach the village. By the time they got there dark clouds were unexpectedly starting to form.

The talk between them and the settlers went well than expected. The villagers welcomed them warmly and accepted their apology about the matter. They were such understanding and good natured people. It only took them an hour to settle everything. Now the company project can proceed without worrying anything. The two parties parted ways with smiles on their faces.

Not too long after the two made their way out of the village, rain started pouring. It was also getting dark outside. It’s still a long way drive.

“They have such a weird weather here. The sun was shining brightly when we left Seoul.” Jessica stated while looking outside the window.

“It really is.” Taeyeon nodded eyes glued on the road.

After few more minutes, the car started making out weird noise and suddenly stopped.

Jessica stared at Taeyeon with the what-is-happening look.

Taeyeon shrugged. She also had no idea what happened. She tried to start again the engine but didn’t work.

Taeyeon looked behind the backseat and the compartment but she didn’t find what she was looking for.

“Did you bring any umbrella?”

Jessica shook her head.

Taeyeon tried to look around from the window. They were in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded only with rice fields on both sides of the road. She took out her phone but to her dismay it was dead. She forgot to charge it the previous night.

Jessica did the same and looked for her phone but when she checked it showed a sign of being in a place that is out of network coverage area. She showed it to the other girl which was responded with a gasp.

“We’re dead.” Jessica slumped back on her seat.

Teayeon checked her watch, it was already past 6PM. The rain was still continuously pouring outside.

“Stay here. I’ll go look for a mechanic shop.” Taeyeon looked at the girl beside her.

“What?!” Jessica’s eyes widened.

“It’s raining outside. Just stay here and lock the doors.”

“Are you serious?!” Jessica stared at her incredulously.

“Err---yes?” Taeyeon tilted her head.

“NO.” Jessica stated flatly.

Taeyeon eyed the girl beside her. Then a smirk crept on her lips which she immediately hid before the other girl could notice.

“Why? Just lock the doors and windows. And don’t open it to anyone unless it’s me.” Taeyeon kept her face straight trying to suppress the grin.

“Don’t leave me here!” Jessica started to panic. She wasn’t liking the idea Taeyeon is trying to push with.

“Why? Afraid of being left here?” Taeyeon was trying her best not to laugh. She was pretty sure Jessica was afraid of being left alone inside the car and in the middle of nowhere.

“Of course not!” Jessica scoffed and crossed her arms.

Taeyeon tilted her head and eyed the other girl. Liar. She pressed her lips together. Keeping the grin inside.

“If that’s the case then I don’t see any reason not to leave you here. Look, it’s getting dark outside I should be looking for a mechanic shop now.”

“Yah! Taengoo-ah!” It was a slip of the tongue. But Jessica cared less. Because honestly, she was afraid of being left alone in the car in the middle of nowhere. Her mind was already starting to imagine exaggerated things that could possibly happen if she was left there.

“Hmm?” Taeyeon tilted again her head.

Jessica didn’t say anything but her eyes were pleading.

“It’s really getting late Sica. I should look for the mechanic shop.” Taeyeon grabbed the handle but before she could open it she heard the girl beside her speak.

“Yah! Leave that door without me and I swear you will return with only ashes left of your car.” Jessica sternly stated.

Taeyeon stopped. Crap. I pushed too much. She turned and stared at the girl beside her. Jessica was dead serious of not wanting to be left alone in the car. She finally let out a smile.

“You know, you could just tell me you’re afraid of being left alone here. No need to turn my car into ashes.” Taeyeon was grinning.

Jessica glared at her. This midget!

“Okay come on now. Let’s look for that mechanic shop.” Taeyeon then hopped out of the car and so did Jessica.

The rain was still pouring and darkness was starting to seep in. No cars where passing and no houses could be seen nearby.

The two continued walking along the road. Jessica kept rubbing her hands against her bare shoulders. It was hot when they left the office so she didn’t bother bringing her coat. Taeyeon noticed the girl beside her shivering from the cold night. She took off her coat and wrapped it around the girl’s shoulder.

Jessica stared at her. Taeyeon just shrugged.

“Your coat is also wet. It doesn’t add any heat you know.” Jessica stated flatly while staring ahead. She was still mad at what happened back there at the car.

Taeyeon grinned. She knew the girl was still mad at her. She then placed an arm around the other girl’s shoulders and pulled her close to her.

“Body heat.” Taeyeon stated nonchalantly while staring ahead. Trying to suppress the warm feeling creeping into her face.

Jessica didn’t say anything else. She didn’t dare look up into the other girl. Afraid of being caught blushing from the gesture. Her insides were in chaos. She wasn’t anymore feeling the coldness of the night but instead the warm feeling of being held again by the same arms which used to hold her long ago.

After a few more minutes of walking in the rain, they finally found a house. They were greeted by an old lady.

“Omo~ these kids!” The old woman immediately opened the door wider upon seeing the two walking towards the house.

“Good evening halmeoni.” Taeyeon and Jessica greeted the old lady.

“Aigoo! You are all drenched up. Come inside and change clothes first before you get sick.” The old woman ushered them to enter the house. Then they heard her call out for her husband.

“Joo-in! Prepare some soup. We have visitors!”

“Wait here while I go get dry clothes for you.” The old woman stood up and left them in the living room.

After a few minutes the old woman returned carrying some dry clothes.

“Here. I hope it’ll somehow fit you two. They’re of my daughter’s old clothes.” The old woman handed them the set of clothes and instructed them into the bathroom.

“Thank you so much halmeoni.” The two bowed repeatedly before standing up.

“Go go go. Or you’ll catch a cold.” The old lady waved a hand and ushered them to hurry and change clothes.

Taeyeon and Jessica obliged and headed to the bathroom.

“You go first.” Taeyeon ushered for the other girl to change first.

“Thank you.” Jessica smiled.

When Jessica got out of the bathroom, Taeyeon stifled a laugh.

“Shut up.” Jessica warned. She was wearing a dress that was obviously too big for her.

Taeyeon grinned and entered the bathroom.

When she got out she was surprised to see Jessica waiting for her outside.

Jessica covered trying to silence her laughter.

“Shut up.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

Taeyeon was also wearing an oversized dress. And it was really such a cute sight for Jessica. She was turning red trying to hold in her laughter. Taeyeon on the other hand finally gave up and laughed along. She also found Jessica cute wearing the oversized dress with floral design all over it.

After both of them have finally subsided their laughter they then went into the living room.

“Aigoo~ these kids look cute on their dress.” The old woman laughed and was also followed along by the old man. Both girls blushed and grinned.

“So, what brought you kids here? And out in the cold rain.”

“Halmeoni, harabeoji, I am Kim Taeyeon, and I am Jessica Jung.” Both girls bowed.

“We’re from Seoul and we came here for some business matter but along our way home my car broke down. So we went out to look for a mechanic shop.” Taeyeon explained.

“Ahh. There’s a mechanic shop here but it’s still a long way. You can spend the night here and have your car fixed tomorrow morning. It’s not safe for young girls like you to roam around the village at this time of the night.”

Taeyeon and Jessica looked at each other. The old lady was right. It’s not safe for them to get out there. They slowly nodded in agreement.

“Okay then. Let’s have dinner. Harabeoji made you soup.” The old woman smiled and gestured for them to follow at the dining area.

***

Everyone was having a good time at the resort for the company’s celebration of the successful international business conference. Everyone, except one woman who was fuming inside and only forcing smiles at her colleagues. Everyone, except, Tiffany Hwang. She was truthfully happy with her colleagues and she had a good time working with them but tonight someone is pushing Tiffany at the edge of the cliff of barking out. Kwon Yuri.

Ever since the group arrived at the resort, Yuri has been obviously avoiding Tiffany again. First, refusing to room together with her. Second, refusing to join their team for the games and instead went to the other team. Third, avoiding sitting beside her on the dinner table. Fourth, avoiding eye contact with her. And lastly, Yuri has been drinking a bit too much and is now dancing with some foreign girls who were also guests of the resort. Tiffany was sitting alone on the bar while keeping her gaze on the girl who was surrounded with a bunch of clingy women much to Tiffany’s liking. She has kept her composure for the rest of the day but the scene in front of her is the last straw. She took a couple of shots while sending death glares at the women who kept dancing with Yuri. You idiot.

The music finally stopped and Tiffany could hear giggles from the foreign girls and from Yuri. She then saw Yuri approaching the bar from the other end and asked for another shot. Tiffany stood up and went beside Yuri.

“Hey. I think you’re having too much already.” Tiffany sat beside her on the stool.

“Nah. I’m fine. I can handle it.” Yuri chortled. Face turning red from the alcohol and from the intense dancing.

“Yuri…” Tiffany softly spoke and held Yuri’s arm. As if trying to stop the girl from getting another drink.

Yuri flinched. Much to Tiffany’s surprise. She immediately retracted her hand.

“S—sorry.”

“----”

“Yuri…why are you avoiding me?” Tiffany finally asked. She has been dying to know why but she couldn’t find the right time to confront the other girl.

Yuri stared at the glass in front of her and gripped it tighter.

“I….” Yuri started but then stayed silent after and didn’t continue.

“Excuse me.” Yuri immediately stood up and ran outside the bar. Tiffany stared at the girl’s retreating figure. She was left dumbfounded. After a while she also stood up and followed the girl.

Not too far away from the bar, Tiffany saw Yuri sitting on the sand while staring ahead.

It was a full moon and the moon shone brightly on the night sky. The sky was clear and twinkling stars filled the vast area above. The sound of the waves against the shore was the only thing breaking the silence of the night.

Tiffany slowly made her way towards the sitting figure.

“Hey…” She softly spoke and stopped beside the girl.

Yuri glanced up and just stared at her.

Tiffany couldn’t make up of the stare but she could tell, the girl was looking intently at her.

Yuri slowly stood up and faced the other girl. Still locking her gaze.

Tiffany’s heart began racing. Yuri’s stare was flipping her insides. Then she saw Yuri’s eyes turn into a gentle and loving eyes staring back at her. She gulped.

Yuri slowly lifted her hands and cupped Tiffany’s cheeks. She gently brushed it as if it were the most fragile thing in the world.

“Even with my eyes closed, I could still trace your face with so much accuracy.” Yuri started off.

Tiffany held her breath. Her cheeks burning from the touch. Her heart must have been transplanted unto her ears because she could hear it loudly beating faster.

“Fany-ah, I thought I can manage being friends with you again but I guess I just couldn’t. Being near you...is driving me crazy…. Your sweet vanilla scent is overpowering that I could barely focus when you are working near me. Your strawberry scent shampoo is too intoxicating that sometimes it makes me want to lean to your side just to catch that sweet scent of you. Your mesmerizing eyesmile would always make my insides flip and my insulin level to reach its peak. Your drop dead gorgeous body….makes me want to wrap you with a blanket to prevent other men from gawking at you. Your loud voice is ironically sweet despite the intense decibels.” Yuri chuckled.

“The way you frown when you’re thinking otherwise about something, it makes me want to gently brush them back in place. The way your forehead forms creases whenever you’re too engrossed with work, it makes me want to make all the work instead. The way you pout whenever you don’t get something that’s been said or when you’re confused over something, it makes me want to…..” Yuri took a deep breath. Still cupping Tiffany’s face and locking gaze at her.

“Everything about you is just….too perfect.” She saw Yuri’s eyes softened and traveled down her lips.

“Forgive me for doing this.” Yuri then leaned in and captured her lips.

Despite the alcohol that both of them have consumed, the kiss tasted sweet. It was a kiss which poured everything that Yuri has been keeping inside her. A kiss which Yuri hoped would not end and a kiss that she knew shouldn’t be.

Yuri unwillingly pulled back. She stared at the girl in front of her whose eyes have gone wide from what just happened.

Yuri then took a step back and ran to where her legs could carry her.

Tiffany could only stare at the retreating figure.

In the coldness of the night, Tiffany felt warm. In the silence of the night, Tiffany’s heart was loud. In the stillness of the water, Tiffany’s mind was in chaos.

Under the bright full moon, two crescent moons started forming.

***

When Taeyeon opened the room to where they will be sleeping, she saw the door to the balcony opened. She saw Jessica standing outside and staring ahead. She slowly made her way towards the girl and stopped beside her.

“The weather is really weird here. Just a few hours ago it was heavily raining, now the sky is clear of any clouds.” Jessica spoke after she felt the presence of the girl who stopped beside her.

“Yeah it really is.” Taeyeon chuckled and also stared ahead.

After the heavy rain the sky was now clear. The stars twinkled brightly against the dark night.

Taeyeon’s eyes landed on one particular star which would always stand out from the rest. Polaris. When she glanced at the girl beside her, she saw Jessica also staring at the same star. She watched in awe at how Jessica’s features seemed to glow against the night sky. Her eyes travelled from the girl’s brows, lashes, nose, down to her lips… God help me. Taeyeon tried hard to compose herself.

Jessica felt the stare. When she turned to the side she saw Taeyeon looking intently at her with an unreadable expression on her face.

Taeyeon turned to her side to fully face her and took a step closer.

Jessica caught her breath.

Still locking her gaze at the girl in front of her, Taeyeon leaned in until their faces were only inches apart.

Jessica saw Taeyeon’s eyes travel down her lips. She gulped. She knew exactly where this is going.

Taeyeon was about to close the gap but then she felt a hand against her shoulder. It was Jessica’s.

Jessica wore an expression of mixed feelings. But one thing Taeyeon was sure present, longing.

“I----I’m sorry. I—I can’t do this to Tiffany.” Jessica’s voice was almost inaudible but Taeyeon caught it.

Taeyeon closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She slowly pulled back.

“I--It’s getting late. I’ll head inside. You better rest too. We still have to look for the shop tomorrow.” Jessica spoke but avoided eye contact. But before she could turn on her heels, Taeyeon caught her wrist. She stared at the girl in front of her with questioning eyes.

Taeyeon’s head was hung low. Her hand still holding Jessica by the wrist.

“If----If I wasn’t with Tiffany or anyone else….w---would you have allowed me?” Taeyeon finally raised her head and looked at the girl in front of her.

Jessica’s eyes softened. “Good night Taeyeon.” She then turned and walked off.

Taeyeon could only watch her leave.

But before Jessica entered the room, she stopped and looked back at Taeyeon locking gaze at her.

Jessica then weakly smiled...and nodded before heading inside the room.

 

Under the cold and vast night sky, two stars exceptionally twinkled brightly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Dugeun. Dugeun. Dugeun.

How was it? How's your heart dear readers? kekeke~ :D

To Taengsic & Yulti shippers, and to Taeny & Yulsic shippers, are your hearts ready? ;)))

This is really nearing its end. But don't worry, I'll make it cool. :D