Chapter 20

Trouble

Few weeks later…

“Oh you’re home. How was work?” Yuri glanced over at the Jessica who has just plopped herself beside her on the couch. Yuri was home early and was watching TV.

“Tiring.” Was Jessica’s short answer.

“How are you and Taeyeon doing? Working together I mean.” Yuri hesitated.

After their short vacation on the ski resort, a lot of things have happened and events turned.

Yuri was assigned on the upcoming international convention of the company and Tiffany was chosen by the committee to be in charge of the event’s preparation. Yuri was surprised at how Tiffany was famous in her line of field. She’d heard a lot of praises from people around as to how Tiffany is really good and is the best candidate for the job. So it was a unanimous decision to choose the girl to handle the big event.

Jessica’s client happened to have Taeyeon as the managing accountant for their company so Taeyeon had to work in behalf of Jessica’s client. In short, Taeyeon and Jessica had to work together.

Such a twist of fate.

“We’re doing fine actually. How about you and Tiffany?” Jessica asked back.

“We’re getting well together. I’m just thankful both of them have decided to at least be friends with us again after everything.”

“Hmmm.” Jessica nodded.

“If you were in their place, would you still be friends with your ex?” Yuri glanced over again at Jessica who was sitting quietly at her side.

Jessica pondered for a while. “I think so. But it would definitely take some time. It’s not easy to be kept in the dark.”

“Hmmm. Yeah. I guess you’re right. It was such a tough decision to make. I’m just glad we’re okay with them now.”

***

“Thank you for the ride.” Tiffany smiled. She and Yuri just had their first meeting with the convention team. Her car had broken down so Yuri insisted on driving her home.

“No problem.” Yuri smiled back.

“Uhhh…Yuri-ah..” Tiffany hesitated.

“Hmm?” Yuri was curious as to what the girl would like to say.

“W---we can still be friends.” Tiffany looked at the girl in front of her and smiled shyly.

Yuri was silent for a while and just stared at Tiffany.

“Re---really?” Yuri couldn’t believe her ears.

Tiffany nodded.

“But…what changed your mind?” Yuri was skeptical.

Tiffany hesitated before answering.

“Taetae and I have talked about our situation. And although you made the decision, you were both unwilling to do it. You just had no choice… and you were only looking after us so you made such decision. It wasn’t entirely your fault. And…it would also be better for us to work together if we’ll be able to settle the matter.” Tiffany carefully explained.

What Yuri told her at the rest house while the girl thought she was sleeping made Tiffany reconsider things. To not blame it all to Yuri and that the decision was clearly made unwillingly. The tanned girl was just looking after her that’s why she made such decision.

“Ohh.” Yuri fell silent as she tried to process what Tiffany has just told her.

“So, I’ll get going then.” Tiffany’s voice interrupted Yuri’s chain of thoughts.

“O—okay. And…thank you Fany-ah. So much.” Yuri warmly smiled and waved at Tiffany.

***

Jessica and Taeyeon sat across each other quietly. Mr. Go who is Jessica’s client and happened to be Taeyeon’s boss has left them to do the work together.

Jessica and Mr. Go has talked a couple of times already and the man has already explained everything to her that his account manager will be the one she’ll be dealing with for the rest of the deal because he will be busy for another project and he will be headed to Japan. But Jessica didn’t expect that Mr. Go’s account manager is Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon. Both girls stared at each other after Mr. Go introduced them to each other and talked about stuff. The man clearly had no idea that both girls already knew each other…way too well.

“So I’ll be going ahead now. Taeyeon, I trust you to take care of everything. And Jessica, I hope you’ll have no problem dealing with Taeyeon here. Don’t hesitate to ask her for anything. She knows what to do in behalf of me.” Mr. Go stood up and smiled warmly at the two girls sitting across from each other.

“Don’t worry Mr. Go I’ll do my best.” Taeyeon bowed.

“Will surely do Mr. Go. Thank you.” Jessica also bowed.

Mr. Go chuckled and waved goodbye before headed to the door of the café.

Taeyeon and Jessica fell silent again.

“So…uhh…I guess we will be working together now.” Taeyeon spoke eyes still on the iced coffee on the table.

“Y—yeah. I guess.” Jessica answered stealing glances from the girl across her.

“-----“

“-----“

Jessica was nervous. She wasn’t sure of what the other girl was thinking. She could possibly still hate me for what I did.

Taeyeon observed the girl across her. She knew, Jessica was nervous. I know I should be mad at you but I also know it wasn’t your fault. You were just looking after me.

After that morning in the ski resort with Jessica’s apology while she thought the other girl was sleeping, Taeyeon has pondered on their situation a lot. She felt how helpless the other girl was when she made the decision of leaving her and so it melted Taeyeon’s angry heart. She couldn’t bear blaming it entirely on Jessica who was just being selfless and was just looking after her. She sighed.

“Look Sica…”

Jessica was startled when she heard the girl spoke. She glanced up and saw an unreadable expression on Taeyeon’s face who was trying to think or say something but seems too difficult for the girl to say.

“Sica…” Taeyeon cleared again. Way to go Kim Taeyeon. Way to go of not scaring her more than how she’s scared now. Taeyeon mentally scolded herself. It wasn’t easy for her to start off the conversation with the other girl. Plus the girl was staring back at her and it even made her feel conscious and nervous as well.

Jessica patiently waited for the girl to continue.

“Uhhh…We---we can still be fr--friends y---you know.” Taeyeon stuttered. The girl’s gaze across from her was too overwhelming so she averted her eyes back to the iced coffee on the table.

“Huh?” Jessica heard it and understood the statement despite of the speaker’s stuttering. But she wasn’t sure if she really heard if from her or from someone else.

Taeyeon glanced again. Didn’t you hear me? Do I really have to repeat it? And please stop staring at me like that. You’re not helping either.

Jessica didn’t hear her speak again. Instead she just saw her stare back at her.

“What was it?” Jessica tried to clear what the other girl just meant with the previous statement.

“We can still be friends. I know it wasn’t your fault. You were just left with no choice. And you were just looking after me. Fany and I have talked about this and we’ve agreed on at least still being friends with you.” Taeyeon carefully explained.

Jessica fell silent. She was surprised to what the other girl just said. She didn’t see it coming.

“A--are you not going to say anything?” Taeyeon still felt nervous. Please stop staring and say something.

“Y—you’re not joking are you?” Jessica finally spoke.

“I’m not joking. We can still be friends. You can even ask Fany. We agreed on this. We’ve talked about this carefully enough.” Taeyeon tried to sound more convincing. She was still guilty of what she had accused Jessica back there at the office. And she was still guilty of how she acted there. No wonder Jessica is a bit scared of her.

“And I’m really sorry for everything I said back there. I didn’t know.” Taeyeon added and sincerely looked at the other girl.

There. That was the confirmation Jessica waited. Because truth be told, she was really hurt and scared of how Taeyeon reacted that day on her office. That’s why she’s so skeptical now.

“Uhh…okay. Thank you.”  It was all Jessica could manage to say. She still couldn’t believe her ears.

“I hope we can work together well with this project.” Taeyeon tried to smile to reassure the other girl that there’s nothing she should be afraid of. That she wouldn’t bark at her ever again like that.

“Y—yes. I also hope we can work together well with this one.” Jessica held Taeyeon’s gaze and felt the sincerity and apology of the other girl. She also smiled.

***

Yuri felt Jessica’s head on her shoulders.

“Hey you okay?” Yuri softly asked the girl leaning on her.

“Hmmm. Just tired.”

“You go to bed now.”

“Yuri-ah…”

“Hmmm?” Yuri’s eyes were still glued on the TV but she knew, and she could tell there was something bothering Jessica.

“----“

“What is it?” Yuri lowered the volume of the TV and put an arm on Jessica’s shoulder trying to motivate the girl to continue.

Jessica hesitated for a while before speaking.

“Now that you know about Tiffany being my father’s niece….would you like to fight for her now?”

Yuri fell silent for a while.

“Would you fight for Taeyeon then?” Yuri didn’t answer the question.

It was Jessica’s turn to fall silent for a moment.

“Taeyeon and Tiffany are together now. I can’t just fight for her now.”

“But what if they’re not together. What if she wasn’t with Tiffany or anyone. Would you fight for her then?” Yuri was curious of the other girl’s answer.

“I----I honestly don’t know.” Jessica’s voice was soft. She was confused what to answer. But she was even more confused as to why she is confused.

“How about you? If Tiffany isn’t with Taeyeon or anyone else, would you go get her back?”

“I----I don’t know.” It was all Yuri could say. If she was asked with the same question months ago then she could have given a quick answer. But now…. She’s not sure why couldn’t she give a direct answer.

The room fell silent again. Until Jessica stood up.

“I’m going to bed now. Goodnight Yuri-ah.” Jessica then headed to her room.

Yuri was left on the couch. In deep thought.

***

Jessica was restless. She’s tired from work but couldn’t sleep yet. Her mind was busy with a lot of thoughts. Especially what Yuri asked her moments ago. She couldn’t bring herself to decide with much certainty. Her head was aching trying to figure out an answer and why she couldn’t think of an answer. She sighed and stared at the ceiling hoping it might give her some help on deciding.

***

Yuri kept on turning from side to side on the bed. She wanted to sleep but couldn’t. Her mind kept on thinking about the talk she had with Jessica earlier. She couldn’t think of an answer no matter how much she racked her brain. She couldn’t decide. It’s hopeless. She finally gave up and stood up.

When Yuri reached the kitchen she saw Jessica too absorbed scanning inside the refrigerator.

“Booo!”

“Ahhhhh!!!!” Jessica squeaked.

Yuri quickly covered Jessica’s mouth. “Yah! You’ll wake the neighbors!”

Jessica pried the hand off .

“You startled me!”

“Sorry.” Yuri grinned.

“What were you doing by the refrigerator anyway? It’s already midnight.” Yuri asked the other girl who was still calming herself.

“I---I couldn’t sleep so I looked for something to eat.”

“Ohh.” Yuri then turned to open the refrigerator and took out ice cream.

Jessica just stared at her.

“What? You don’t want?”

“You came out here to get ice cream?”

“Couldn’t sleep also.” Yuri shrugged while stuffing with ice cream.

Jessica then took out a spoon and joined Yuri eating ice cream.

“Hey Sica, do you have somewhere else to go to tomorrow?”

“Hmm? No. it’s a weekend. Why?”

“You don’t have a meeting with Taeyeon?”

“No. We will meet again Monday.”

“Hmmm…. Do you wanna go to the beach with me tomorrow?”

“Huh?” Jessica stared at Yuri confusingly.

“Narsha unnie is having her house warming tomorrow. She invited me to come. I---I would like to bring you with me. If that is okay with you.”

“Ohh. Okay sure. When are we leaving?”

“Tomorrow morning. Maybe a little later after breakfast.”

“What?! It’s already midnight and we have to leave tomorrow morning?”

Yuri knew what Jessica meant.

“I was planning of asking you earlier but I forgot about the matter after the talk we had.” Yuri scratched the back of her head.

“And besides you can just sleep in the car while I drive.”

“Pfft. Fine.” Jessica then stood up and took the ice cream back to the refrigerator.

“Yah! I’m not yet done eating!” Yuri protested.

“Enough ice cream. Let’s go to sleep now. You still have to drive tomorrow. Now, sleep.” Jessica glared.

Aish! Yuri also stood up and stomp her feet towards the sink putting her spoon and headed to her room.

***

Yuri adjusted her sun glasses and continued humming with the car’s stereo while driving. Jessica on the other hand was peacefully sleeping on the passenger’s seat. Yuri smiled when she glanced at the girl beside her. Such a sleepyhead.

Jessica stirred and shifted her position towards the window.

Yuri noticed the uncomfortable position the sleeping girl was now in. She then brought the car to a safe side of the road and stopped. She unhooked her seatbelt and reached for her jacket at the backseat. She folded it to make up a temporary pillow. She then turned to the sleeping girl and leaned forward. She slowly lifted Jessica’s head and carefully placed the jacket behind her head for the girl to sleep comfortably with. She was about to retract her hands but the girl in front of her opened her eyes.

Jessica felt something on her head. When she opened her eyes she saw Yuri leaning over her. She caught her breath. Two brown orbs were looking intently at her.

Yuri froze. Jessica suddenly opened her eyes and was staring back at her. Their faces only inches apart that she could see clearly the other girl’s lashes. She gulped. Her heart raced at every staring moment that passed.

“Wh—what---” Jessica’s mind had gone haywire. Yuri’s gaze was making her heart beat faster than usual.

“I---I w---as…pi—pillow…he---head…” Yuri stuttered. Unable to make a complete sentence. Jessica’s gaze was flipping her insides. She tried to calm herself but her hands were shaking. She clutched tightly at the jacket she was holding behind Jessica’s head. Don’t stare at me like that.

The two were interrupted when Yuri’s phone suddenly rang.

Yuri quickly retracted her hand leaving the jacket behind Jessica’s head and rested back on the driver’s seat. She unconsciously let out a deep breath before answering her phone.

The moment Jessica heard Yuri answer the call, she let out a deep breath she wasn’t even aware she has been holding. Then she noticed the soft fabric that was now behind her head. She adjusted her position and checked to see what it was. She figured it was Yuri’s jacket and why it was now behind her head. A small smile escaped her lips. So that was what she has been doing.

“Did I woke you up? Sorry.” Yuri ended the call and glanced over at the girl beside her who had adjusted herself on her seat.

“No it’s fine. Thank you.” Jessica shyly smiled.

Yuri nodded and re driving.

“You can go back to sleep now. Narsha unnie just called and checked on us. I told her we’re on our way already.”

“Is it still far?”

“Nah. We’re almost there.”

“Ohh. I’ll just keep you company then.”

“…If you say so.”

The drive towards the beach house was silent between the two people inside. Only the constant humming from Yuri was heard.

Jessica chuckled.

“What?” Yuri asked curiously.

“You sound bad even by just humming.” Jessica was now laughing.

“Yah! You don’t sound that good either!” Yuri retorted while grinning.

“You wanna bet?” Jessica challenged.

“Fine. Fine. You sound better.” Yuri sulked on her seat which earned a chuckle from the girl beside her.

Yuri chuckled along.

***

“How is it going with Jessi?” Tiffany comfortably plopped herself on the floor beside Taeyeon who was busy eating popcorn.

It was another movie night for the two. They have both been busy lately with work and so decided to watch a movie at their apartment. It’s a good thing its Friday, meaning there won’t be any work for the next two days.

“Huh?’ Taeyeon eyes never left the TV and hand on the popcorn on her lap.

“You and Jessi. How’s it going working with her?”

“Ah. We’re doing fine. I think it was a good think we decided to be friends with them again. How about you and Yuri? Everything okay?” for a moment Taeyeon glanced over at the girl beside her who was leaning on her shoulder.

“Hmmm. We’re working together well. Being friends again and all.”

Taeyeon nodded in understanding.

“Hey Fany…” Taeyeon’s tone became serious.

“Hmmm?”

“This thought just came cross my mind…”

“What is it?” Tiffany’s head was still leaning over Taeyeon’s shoulder while listening to the other girl.

“Now that everything’s well, have you thought of getting back with Yuri?”

Tiffany removed her head from the other girl’s shoulder and glanced over at Taeyeon.

Tiffany was silent for a moment.

“Would you want to get back with Jessi now?” Tiffany stared at the other girl.

Taeyeon averted her eyes back to the TV unable to stand staring back at Tiffany.

The two fell silent. Unable to answer each other’s question.

“I—I’ll get some more cola.” Taeyeon stood up and went to the kitchen. She felt the sudden change in the atmosphere at the living room. She didn’t know how to answer the question. She was confused why she can’t decide of what does she want now.

Tiffany was left staring blankly at the TV. She was rendered speechless of Taeyeon’s inquiry. Does she want to get back with Yuri now? She didn’t know exactly what to answer. She heaved a sigh. She's confused. So confused.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the crappy update. T__T

I really had a hard time deciding which pair to push through. :(((

It was so hard coming up with ways to end up these people hurting less. I wanted to keep it cool for the four of them.

I told you guys to help me decide! :'(((

I guess you now have an idea where this story is going. Sorry to disappoint you. :((

But you could still make me change my mind. I purposely left it here like this to give you a chance.

Make me change my mind! Or let me have it this way, all the way! ;)

 

This story is nearing it's end. I hope you would continually support it no matter how awfully it might end. Kekeke :D