Chapter 4

Trouble

Tiffany went home with an unreadable expression on Taeyeon's face. Sitting alone in the couch and zoning out.

“Hey what’s up? What happened? You don’t look fine so don’t tell me you’re fine and that it’s nothing.”

Taeyeon could only look up at Tiffany who managed to sit beside her on the couch.

They have spent quite some time together so one way or another they can somehow read each other like an open book. They would know if the other is hurting, upset or the other is just up for another prank. And this time Tiffany could tell that it’s something serious. Taeyeon’s expression worried her. And how she just stared at her for some time after asking the question, she knows, it’s really something serious.

“She’s back Fany-ah. She’s back.” Taeyeon managed to speak softly.

“Wha—who? Who’s back?”

“The one who broke me into pieces. My--- ex-girlfriend. She’s--- back.” Taeyeon’s voice was now trembling. Tears threatening to fall in any moment.

“But how? I thought--- you told me she will be staying in the States for good and have a family there. So why are you telling me now that she’s back?”

 

“Taeyeon unnie!” Yoona ran towards Taeyeon and gave her a bear hug. Yoona and Taeyeon met through college and have been friends since then.

“How have you been unnie? It’s been a while. You’ve gotten prettier.” Yoona teased. She knows too well that compliments would easily make her all too shy.

“Yeah it’s been a while. I’ve been fine. And thank you.” Taeyeon blushed.

“How about you? How have you been? What are you doing here? I thought your family migrated to the States after your father got an offer there. Still the same pretty Im Yoona I see.” Tayeon quickly added. She missed teasing with her dongseang.

They ended up chatting and catching up at a nearby café.

“I heard that you and Sica unnie broke up last year. You okay now?” Yoona carefully added. She knew how her two unnies loved each other. There was even a point wherein she was almost sure the two would really end up together. That’s why when she found out last year that the two have broken up it really shocked her. All she knew was that Sica’s family is going to migrate in the States and will live there for good. She doesn’t want to be nosy and ask more about the break up. She’s just concern about how has Taeyeon been. She hasn’t seen her much after she heard the breakup so she didn’t have any idea how have things been for her unnie.

“Ohh. I’m fine Yoong. You said so yourself that I’ve gotten prettier right? Well if I wasn’t fine then don’t you think you would see me like this otherwise?” Taeyeon half lied. Half because the other half isn’t still fine. She’s still hurting. She was just thankful to have Tiffany around. That loud girl has made her feel alive again.

“Oh right. That’s good to hear then unnie.” Yoona beamed a smile. Happy knowing that Taeyeon has moved on and is more than happy seeing her again.

“Got a new one now?” Yoona teased.

“Wha—no! How could you say that?”

“Well you said so yourself that you’re fine now and as I can see you really are. You’ve gotten prettier and glowing. Which only means one thing. Someone is pampering you.” Yoona was now grinning. She could see the all reddened Taeyeon in front of her.

“Yah stop it Yoong! What the— I’m not with anyone okay? I’m just fine as it is. Jeez.” Taeyeon defended herself.

“Okay fine fine. I’ll stop. I just missed teasing you unnie that’s all.” Yoona’s laughing has finally died down.

“By the way I saw Krystal the other day, she told me her family will be back here in Korea in a couple of days. She just came ahead because she has to fix some of her papers for college.”

“Krystal? College? But I thought they will be staying in the States for good?” Taeyeon is confused now.

“That’s what I thought also. But she told me that her father decided to be back here and have their family settle here instead. We didn’t really talk that much. We just happened to bump into each other at the mall and she was in a hurry.”

“Oh okay.” Taeyeon could only nod. She didn’t know how to respond. She didn’t know what to do. Jessica will be back. Here. And settle. Here. Taeyeon started to panic inside. But tried to calm herself being in front of Yoona. The whole afternoon was spent catching up but Taeyeon’s mind has been long gone. Her thoughts wandered. What if they meet again? What would she do? How would she react? She’s not ready to face her yet.

They bid goodbye and Taeyeon ended up in Tiffany’s apartment. They have each other’s keys for their apartments so she dragged herself there. She has long been sitting on the couch with thoughts still on her ex-lover.

 

“Ohh. Okay.” Tiffany could only give Taeyeon a hug. She didn’t know what else to do or what to say. She knows pretty well that Taeyeon hasn’t been over her ex-girlfriend yet.

“What am I going to do Fany-ah? I’m scared. I’m really scared. I can’t face her yet. I’m--- I---can’t…” Taeyeon trailed off. She’s sobbing now.

“Hushhh….It’s going to be fine. Everything will be fine. There has to be way. I’m just here. We have each other now remember?” Tiffany could only hush Taeyeon to give her comfort.

Both ended up sleeping on the couch. Taeyeon woke up with a stiff neck. When she glanced up she found a sleeping Tiffany with mouth agape and slightly snoring. She couldn’t help but chuckle at the cute sight of her friend. Thank you Fany-ah. We have each other now. We can do this together. Taeyeon repeated what the black haired girl said a while ago. Reassuring her that she has nothing to be afraid of. That she won’t be alone on this fight anymore.

Taeyeon slowly lifted herself up and slipped from Tiffany’s comforting embrace. An embrace that gave her peace and security. She kneeled beside her and watched the snoring girl for a while before slightly tapping her to wake up.

“Fany-ah? Wake up now. Let’s transfer inside your room. You’ll have your back all sore tomorrow if you stay on the couch. Come now let’s go to bed.” Taeyeon’s Fany’s hair now.

“Hmmm.” Tiffany only muffled. She was too sleepy to talk back let alone stand and transfer to the other room. But the next thing that happened made her fully awake.

She was about to grab a pillow to cover her face but what she held on was a bit smaller for what a pillow should be. Much smaller and…softer….

She instantly opened her eyes and quickly went to where her hand was. Her eyes widened in shock at the sight in front of her. Her hand. Her hand. On Taeyeon’s uhmmm. Assets. If you call them assets.

“Hwang Miyoung!!!” Taeyeon’s face was so red down to her neck and up to her ears.

“Aghhhhh!!!” Tiffany shrieked.

Taeyeon is fuming in anger and embarrassment. Tiffany quickly retracted her hand and bolted up. Ran quickly towards her room and locked herself up. She was too embarrassed to face Taeyeon. She could feel her cheeks so red now up to her ears. Stupid hand.

“Hwang Miyoung!!! Open up!” Taeyeon ‘s constantly knocking on the door.

“N—no!”

“I said O-P-E-N up!!! Don’t wait for me to break this damned door! What the hell was that?!”

“I—di---didn’t mean it okay?! I was trying to reach for a pillow! You saw me sleeping and I had my eyes closed! How would I know that---- that---- I was grab---grabbing something e---else! I’m sorry! I am so sorry Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany shouted back behind the door. It was really an accident. An honest mistake.

Taeyeon understood that it was really an honest mistake. Tiffany was still half asleep when she—when she did what she did there. She was just as shocked and embarrassed as Tiffany is.

“Pffff! Fine. Now just open up and let me sleep. I’m really tired Fany-ah.” Her voice softened. She’s exhausted from all the crying and it’s giving her a headache. She can deal with that incident next time but not now. She just wanted to get back to sleep.

“Yo—You pr---promise not to get back at me once I open this door?”

“I won’t get back at you this time Fany-ah. Not now. I promise.”

“O—okayy” Tiffany slowly opened the door and saw Taeyeon’s head hung low. Upon seeing her friend like that she already knew that Taeyeon has no intention of getting back at her for now. She knew pretty well that the other girl has something more bothering her. Something much deeper.

“Heyy…Come on. Let’s get back to sleep.” Tiffany grabbed Taeyeon inside and ushered her to bed.