Chapter 14

Trouble

Mr. Jung and Mr. Kwon left Yuri and Jessica alone in the garden. Yuri and Jessica had unwillingly agreed on the wedding after a long heated discussion with their fathers. This wasn’t the first time the four of them have met. They have been arguing about the matter for quite some time but only until now have they finally had a settlement.

Both fell silent the moment their fathers left them. Only the constant sighing from the two can be heard.

Jessica was looking at the night sky. There’s a lot of clouds tonight. No stars. Such a lonely night. No twinkling stars to brighten the sky. She let out a deep breath. She heard the girl beside her chuckle.

“What’s funny?” Jessica spoke still looking at the night sky.

“Us. How unfortunate we are. It’s just ridiculous. I thought arranged marriage only happen in TV dramas.” Yuri answered while staring at nothing in particular. She just laid her back against the chair.

“Hmmm.”

“Don’t you really want to put up a fight?” Yuri spoke again.

It took a while before Jessica answered. “I---I can’t risk her.”

“Ah.”

“Can you risk yours?” Jessica asked back.

“I really would like to take the chance and take the risk. But---if it wouldn’t turn out well, then I think I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.”

“Hmmm.” Jessica nodded. Understanding what the other girl meant with that statement.

“So, we really have no choice now?” It was rather a statement than a question.

“I’m afraid we don’t.” Yuri chuckled again. Then sighed.

Silence.

Yuri extended her hand which gained a confused look from Jessica.

“Since we really have no choice now and whether we like it or not we’re stuck with each other, then might as well befriend you.” Yuri smiled. It was a sincere smile.

“Oh... Okay.” Jessica also extended her hand and shook hers. She gave a weak smile.

“Kwon Yuri.”

“Jessica Jung.”

They stared at each other and both laughed from the silly act.

“I wonder what dad wants us to do next.”

“Yeah me too.”

“You wanna bet about the next thing they’d want us to do?” Yuri had a mischievous smile.

“What?” Jessica asked with an arched eyebrows.

“You know, bet? You give me something if I win I give you----”

“Of course I know what a bet is.”

“Oh. I thought you didn’t. You know, I know this is not a game but I kinda thought about the whole thing. That there’s nothing else we can do about this stupid situation we’re stuck with. So why not just make fun of it. At least I get to earn things if I win.” Yuri explained then grinned.

Jessica just stared at her.

“Awww come on! Don’t be such a kill joy.” She added.

Jessica glared.

Woah. That glare sent chills on Yuri’s spine.

“Ohh okay. I’ll keep quiet.” Yuri sulked. Aish. This woman. So scary. Now I’m stuck with this ice princess. Yuri shivered at the thought of being stuck with the girl beside her.

After a while of silence, Jessica spoke.

“Okay what do you want to bet?”

Yuri’s head perked up. She stared at Jessica incredulously.

“What?” Jessica asked. She was confused at the expression on Yuri’s face.

“Are you bipolar or something?”

“What?! Of course not!”

“You sure?”

“Of course! What kind of question is that?!” Jessica was clearly surprised at the question or it rather seemed like an accusation.

“Nothing. Just trying to make sure.” Yuri grinned.

“How about you, are you bipolar?”

“Kinda. But don’t worry I’m regularly taking my meds.”

“What?! Oh my God.” Jessica blurted out in English. She was surprised at what just the other girl told her.

“Yup. But they say I’m doing well. Just have to take meds regularly and avoid too much stress as much as possible.” Yuri stated matter-of-factly.

“Ohhh. O—okay.” Jessica could only mutter.

Then she saw Yuri burst out laughing.

“Wha---what’s so funny?”

“You should have seen your face when I told you I was bipolar!” Yuri burst out laughing again.

Jessica stared at the laughing woman. She has just been tricked. And she really fell for it.

“Why you little piece of….” Jessica was mad for being tricked but after a while she found herself also laughing along. She really fell for that joke. The other girl acted so well. Aish!

After that incident, Yuri and Jessica have become good friends. Although it took quite some time but they managed to be comfortable with each other. Sharing about their exes, how the arranged marriage ruined their lives, and how they broke off with their previous relationship. They have actually confided with each other for comfort. No one would understand them better about their situation but only each other. They’ve had their share of sacrifices made. Having together as friends was the only good thing that turned out well from the awful situation they were stuck with.

***

Yuri and Jessica sat beside each other at a boring company party they have to attend to. Yuri was playing on her phone while Jessica just kept poking her food on the plate. Then she felt her phone vibrate and saw an unknown number on her screen with a text message.

---Please save me from boredom. T_T

---------Excuse me?

---I’m dying. x_x

--------I think you got the wrong number.

---Oh. I did?

---------Whatever. Look, I’m busy okay? Pls stop bothering me. >.<

---If you’re busy then why are you still replying?

--------Because I don’t want to be rude. That’s all.

---Ohhh. You know there’s a better way to show that you’re really not rude.

----What?

---Let’s get out from here. I can’t stand it any longer. It’s either I might fall asleep here and snore or continue to play on my phone until I ace every game installed. ;D

When she glanced at the girl beside her, Yuri was looking at her grinning.

---You can choose to sleep. I’ll wake you up when they’re done. :p

--------Oh come on! Let’s get out of here already. :3

---And how do you think are we going to do that?

---------Just follow along. ;)

Yuri stood up and excused herself for the comfort room. Jessica just stared at her.

“You wanna go the comfort room too?” Yuri winked.

“Uhh---Okay.” Jessica also stood up and walked along with Yuri.

They walked hastily out of the party and headed straight to Yuri’s car. The moment they closed the doors shut, the two burst out laughing.

“Yah! It was like having cutting classes!” Jessica kept hitting the dash board while laughing.

“Don’t worry about cutting classes. We’d still ace the exams anyway.” Yuri laughed along.

“You’re such a bad influence. I never skipped class you know.”

“There’s always room for first time.” Yuri grinned.

After their laughter died down, Jessica spoke.

“So what do we do now?”

“Uhhh… ice cream?”

“What?! At this hour of the night?”

“Okay uhhh…what do you suggest?”

“Hmmm…. Ddukbokkie?” Jessica gave a sheepish smile.

“Hmmm. Doesn’t sound bad…Okay Ddukbokkie it is.” Yuri then drove off.

After a few minutes of drive Yuri pulled off at food house. It wasn’t classy nor shabby, but a decent one nonetheless. Jessica was amazed as to how the other girl had known such a Korean place in New York.  

“Do you come here often? How did you know this place?” Jessica asked curiously.

Yuri chuckled. “My ex-girlfriend and I loved to travel a lot. We liked adventure and trying new stuff. We found this place when we came here in New York and craved for Korean food.”

“Ohh. I never thought such place existed here.” Jessica looked around the place quite amazed.

Yuri was smiling while observing how amazed and curious Jessica is. It’s one thing she found adorable of the ice princess. Whenever Jessica seems amazed of something she unconsciously opens slightly into an “Ohh” with eyes turning round and eyebrows furrowed while scanning the things that interests her. Aside from enjoying seeing the annoyed Jessica, she also enjoys seeing her at awe of the things that Yuri shares her. She’s pleased to know that the other girl is showing interest of the things she likes.

“I know. Now let’s order.” Yuri spoke after they have settled on a table for two at a corner.

****

“Oh my gosh!” Jessica slumped herself on her bed and let out a deep breath.

“What happened to you unnie? You seemed so exhausted. Work?” Krystal asked curiously. She is Jessica’s younger sister. Krystal came barging inside her sister’s room. She had been waiting for her sister to arrive home for she wanted to borrow something.

“No. Not work. But yes exhausted.” Jessica spoke while lying face down on bed.

“Then what is it?”

“That Kkab Yul dragged me out of my office and took me to an amusement park and made me walk for a couple of meters to show me that famous establishment she has been telling me all about.”

“Oh.”

“She called and told me she was done with her work already and that she was dying of boredom so she came barging in my office and told me to just call it a day at the office. I can’t believe we’re friends. Aisssh! Now I have to double time tomorrow to finish the work that I left this afternoon.” Jessica pounded the pillow above her head.

“But you still agreed. You were bored also right? And now you’re just blaming her for feeding your procrastination?” Krystal smirked. She knows her sister too well.

“Wha---of course not! I wasn’t just in the mood to continue working so I didn’t protest that much when she took me off from work.” Jessica smiled sheepishly.

“And so yes I was right.” Krystal grinned.

“Whatever Jung Soo-jung.” Jessica rolled her eyes.

“You look good together unnie.”

“What?! What are you talking about?”

“You and Yuri-unnie, you look good together.” Krystal gave a playful smile.

“You’re talking nonsense.”

“Don’t take it the wrong way unnie. I mean, you and Taeyeon-unnie looked good together back then. But we both know what’s waiting for you and Yuri-unnie in the future so I just thought giving it a chance might not be such a bad idea after all.”

Jessica fell silent for a while.

“We just don’t want to think about it yet Krys. We enjoy each other being friends. And that’s a good thing. I thought I’d despise the one I’ll be unfortunately marrying and I did even think of making that someone’s life miserable while having me. But when I found out about her side of the story, that she also had the same unfortunate fate as mine, then I thought I shouldn’t blame her after all. It’s also against her will to have this marriage thing.  And besides, I’m pretty sure that Kkab Yul still has feelings for her ex-girlfriend and I still have for mine, so I don’t want to complicate things.”

“Oh. But do you think you could give each other a chance someday? It might work.”

“I---I don’t know. We haven’t really thought about it.  We have become good friends. Let’s just live it that way….. I’m taking a shower.” Jessica then stood up from bed and headed to the bathroom.

***

Jessica heard sounds but was too sleepy to check where it came from. It’s a Saturday so she had no plans of getting out of bed the whole day.

“Thank you.” Yuri said in whisper while grinning. Krystal allowed Yuri to enter Jessica’s room upon Yuri’s request.

“Don’t be too mean Yuri-unnie. Or Sica-unnie will kill me for allowing you to enter her room. Do it slowly.” Krystal was trying to hold in her laughter. Yuri has told her what prank she has on for Jessica this time and she agreed to it.

“I’ll go now.” Krystal said grinning then walked off.

Yuri closed the door slowly. She scanned the room. It was feminine. Reflecting the owner. From the color of the wallpaper, to the decorations, the dresser, so Jessica. She smiled at her own thoughts. Then Yuri walked slowly towards the sleeping figure on the bed. She stared at the girl in front of her. Woah. She’s still pretty even with her bare face. This ice princess sleeps like a baby. Yuri leaned closer trying to get a better look. She brushed away some strands covering the girl’s face. Cute. 

Jessica felt a soft touch brush against her face. When she opened her eyes she saw two brown eyes staring at her with an unreadable expression on the owner’s face. Jessica blinked. She stared back. Consciousness was slowly dawning on her sleepy state. Kwon Yuri.

The girl in front of her slowly opened her eyes, blinked, and stared back at her. It was a cute sight. How the sleepy figure in front of her was staring blankly in return.

“Good morning ice princess.” Yuri said grinning.

Jessica just stared at her with an arched eyebrows. Yuri chuckled at the response.

“What are you doing here?” Jessica’s tone was dry ice. This Kkab Yul grinning in front of her has just ruined her precious sleep and still has the nerve of greeting her good morning? Unbelievable.

“Good morning to me too. I brought you something.” Yuri was still grinning and gave her something she has been hiding behind her back.

Flowers.

Jessica’s brows were even more raised this time. With creased forehead.

“What? Can’t I give my friends flowers? I found this while jogging this morning. The lady told me they’re fresh and insisted for me to buy them. So I bought some. For you and for Krystal.” Yuri stated matter-of-factly.

“Atleast a thank you would be enough. Krystal even gave me a warm hug. She liked what I gave her.” Yuri gave a hurtful look after earning the response Jessica gave earlier.

Jessica’s expression softened. She felt guilty of being ungrateful. “Tha---thank you.” She managed to say and took the flowers.

Yuri’s face immediately brightened up and beamed a smile after Jessica took the flowers.

“Aaaaagghhhhhh!!!!” Jessica let out a dolphin squeak and threw the flowers on Yuri’s face.

Yuri was laughing so hard and was already sitting on the floor while holding her stomach. The flowers which Yuri gave had some bitten pieces of cucumbers inserted among them. She knows it pretty well that the other girl hates cucumbers and when she saw the flowers being sold this morning she came up with the idea of giving another prank.

Jessica was furious. She threw pillows at the laughing girl. She stood up and was about to kick the girl but her foot was caught by the blanket. She tripped but instead of landing face down on the floor there wasn’t. When she opened her eyes she found herself in a securing embrace. Yuri caught her just in time and has made herself a cushion for her to land on instead of the floor. Bodies pressed against each other, faces only inches apart. She fell silent. She couldn’t utter any word. She stared at the owner of the arms who caught her. She could feel her heart beating faster than it normally does.  

Yuri’s fast reflex made her able to catch Jessica just in time before the other girl could land on the floor. Now their bodies are pressed against each other. Faces only inches apart. Jessica’s bare face up close was stunning. She stared in awe of the girl in front of her. Yuri could feel her heart pounding hard against her ribcage. She caught her breath.

“Yuri-unnie! How was----Ow. Did I interrupt something?” Krystal came barging inside Jessica’s room and saw the two in that position.

Jessica immediately pushed herself up and stood away from Yuri. She could still feel her heart racing.

“Oh yes, you did interrupt something Jung Soo-jung. I was about to kick her and now it’s your turn.” Jessica then faced Krystal and giving her sister the iciest glare she could give.

“Uh-ohh. I think I forgot something in the kitchen.” Krystal dashed towards the door and left the two before Jessica could even have the chance of grabbing her sister.

“And you, what are you doing here? How dare you ruin my precious sleep and bring me those stupid flowers? Do you really wish for your early death Kwon Yuri?” Jessica turned towards Yuri’s direction. She mustered her courage to look at the other girl. Her heart is still racing from what happened earlier. Must be the shock of falling. She told herself.

“I—uhh.” Yuri was still racking her brain. Her heart still pounding hard against her chest from what happened earlier. Must be the adrenaline. She told herself and tried to calm down.

“I found this interesting place wherein you can freely throw plates on a wall to relieve stress. I want to try it. So I’m dragging you along.” Yuri grinned.

“Hmmm. Sounds interesting. Do they allow it for a person to stand on the wall and have the plates thrown on that person?”

“I---don’t know about that though.”

“Aww. That’s a shame. I would gladly donate our plates in the house to be used and throw them on you.” Jessica then threw another pillow towards Yuri which the latter was able to avoid.

Yuri was grinning the whole time not minding the glares that Jessica have been throwing at her. She’s used to it by now. It doesn’t affect her that much anymore. Though there are times she would rather back down than to go against the princess’s demands. But she enjoyed it nonetheless. Jessica’s a sweet and caring person after all. And she liked being friends with the girl.

“Oh come on! You told me you’ll accompany me whenever I want in exchange to being your P.A last week. The stuff you bought were heavy you know. I should have stayed home back then rather than carry your shopping bags.” Yuri massaged her arms trying the guilt trip.

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Stop acting. You at it.”  

Yuri didn’t say anything and continued massaging her arms and shook her legs. She even heaved a deep sigh expressing her disappointment.

“Oh my gosh. You look disturbing. You’re such an eyesore. Get out I’m gonna take a shower. Wait for me downstairs. And cook me some pancakes. You ruined my precious sleep you better serve me right today.”

Yuri immediately stopped what she’s been doing and beamed a smile. She already found out how to make Jessica comply with her requests. Either to make the other girl guilty or leave her with no choice. And she’s being good at it.

“And one more thing, THROW THOSE FLOWERS AWAY!”

“Aye! Aye! captain!” Yuri then picked up the flowers, walked towards the door and left.

“Would you also like cucumber shake for you pancake?” Yuri said grinning while her head stuck out from behind the door.

“Would you like to call your insurance company?”

“Pancake it is.” Yuri grinned again before shutting the door.

“Krystal! Success!” Jessica could her Yuri laughing and yelling outside while walking away from her room. She smiled. Having that side of Yuri helped a lot. It kept her mind off from thinking too much about their situation. About the arranged marriage. It was comforting how Yuri has been handling their situation and how the other girl made her feel comfortable and not alone with their unfortunate fate. She knows it’s also not easy for Yuri being on their situation so whenever it’s possible, Jessica does her part by accompanying the other girl and keep themselves distracted.

Jessica wore a smile while heading towards the bathroom.

***

“Have you heard about their plan?”

“Unfortunately, yes.”

“Ugh. Now I’m doomed.” Yuri held her forehead.

“And I’m in hell.” Jessica sighed.

Silence.

“So what are we going to do now?” Jessica spoke.

“Let’s look for a place that’s only enough for the two of us. Let’s ask our fathers to have no helpers around the house.”

“But---” Jessica protested but was cut short by Yuri.

“Look, if we have helpers I’m pretty sure our fathers would ask them to keep an eye on us. We won’t have our privacy. And I don’t like the way our fathers are trying to imply that we should act sweet because sooner or later we will be getting married.”

“Hmmm. You have a point. I also hate it when they keep eyeing us whenever we’re together. Aish. We already agreed on getting married, now they want us to be all too sweet? Unbelievable.” Jessica shook her head.

Their fathers demanded them to start living together to get along well whenever they finally get married. Both Yuri and Jessica protested about the plan but as always their protests have fallen to deaf ears. Now the two of them have to look for a place for them to live together.

“So first things first. Let’s look for an apartment. Then we’ll talk to them about our plan of not having helpers around so that “we can have our privacy and that we can spend more time getting to know each other” which we both know are the primary reasons why those two came up with this plan in the first place.” Yuri explained.

“Hmmm. Okay.” Jessica could only agree without protest.

***

“Ohmy. Did you just bring your entire house? You have A LOT of things you know that? My arms and back are aching from all the carrying. I shouldn’t have agreed on helping you unpack. Jeez this woman.” Yuri ranted while she plopped herself on the couch. It was the day they will be living together in their own apartment and she has agreed to help Jessica carry and unpack her things.

“Stop exaggerating.” Jessica rolled her eyes and made her way also on the couch beside Yuri.

“I’m really exhausted. I need a lot of food. Good food. And a body massage.” Yuri sprawled on the couch resting her head on Jessica’s lap. She was really exhausted from all the carrying and dragging of things here and there. Jessica rested her head on the couch. She knows Yuri was exhausted from carrying her stuff and she was grateful for the other girl’s help so she just let her have her rest on her lap. She closed her eyes. She was also exhausted unpacking and arranging their stuff. Both of them dozed off.

When Jessica woke up she was lying comfortably on the couch with a pillow under her head. She squinted her eyes to adjust to the room’s lighting. It was already dark outside the window. Then she heard sounds coming from the kitchen. She was rubbing her eyes when she arrived at the kitchen and was greeted with the sweet aroma of the food Yuri was cooking.

“Oh you’re awake. I was surprised you seemed to be more exhausted than me.” Yuri chuckled.

“Pffff.” Jessica then sat on the table and stared at the girl busy cooking.

“You go wash up while I finish cooking. Then let’s have dinner.” Yuri said without looking at her. She was focused cooking the food.

It was only then that Jessica noticed Yuri’s hair was still wet. She was wearing a tank top and short shorts. She scanned the girl who had her back on her. Yuri has quite broad shoulders and toned muscles from her arms to her thighs and to her calves. No wonder this girl was able to carry her home during some nights she was drunk and she’d always call Yuri to pick her up. She really must be physically fit and strong. Jessica’s thoughts were interrupted when she heard the other girl spoke.

“Are you gawking at me?” Yuri faced her while holding a spatula and a smirk plastered on her face.

“Ha! Dream on Kwon Yuri. I was just zoning off. I was looking at nothing in particular.” Jessica then stood up and headed towards her room. Her face heated of embarrassment of being caught and she didn’t want to admit that so she immediately left. Her red face would give her away and she didn’t want that satisfaction on Yuri’s face.

***

Yuri woke up late the next day. She was dead exhausted from yesterday’s moving into their new apartment. When she reached the kitchen she saw a bowl with rice and something unusual mixed with the rice. Then she saw a note beside the spoon.

Yuri-ah,

 Thank you so much for doing most of the

 work yesterday moving in things and fixing stuff.

 I’m really grateful so I made this. I hope you’ll like it. :)

                                                                -Sica

A smile crept into Yuri’s face after reading the note. When she looked again at the bowl of food on the table, her eyebrows furrowed. She was undoubtedly moved by the other girl’s thoughtfulness, but something about the food was off. She hesitantly took a spoonful of the food and put it inside . The look of the food really spoke for itself. The taste was awful. Yuri was about to spit out the food but then she heard Jessica’s voice nearing the kitchen.

“Have you eaten it already? Was it good?” Jessica wore a bright smile and an expectant expression.

The look in Jessica’s face made Yuri swallow hard the food instead of spitting it out. She just couldn’t break the bright smile on the other girl’s face. And she didn’t want the other girl’s efforts to be unappreciated.

“Uhhhh…it----it’s a little bland but it’s okay. Thank you.” Yuri smiled. “Have you tasted it already?”

“Really?” Jessica was smiling brighter.

“I haven’t tasted it though. I thought you should be the first one to have a taste of it.” Jessica said proudly.

“Ohhh.” It was all that Yuri could say.

Jessica then moved beside Yuri took her spoon and took some food from the bowl. She chewed for a while before speaking.

“Hmmm… I think you’re right. It’s a little bland.”

Oh my God. Where have all her taste buds gone? Yuri stared at Jessica incredulously.

“I think I’ll just do the cooking and you wash the dishes after. What do you want to eat for lunch?” Yuri suggested.

“Ohh okay. Hmmm. I wanted some kimchi fried rice so I made you those.” Jessica pointed at the bowl in front of them.

This is kimchi fried rice? It’s only rice with….stuff. Yuri stared at the food and blinked.

“Uhhh… you better take a shower first while I cook food. Okay?”

“Okay. And thank you again Yuri-ah.” Jessica gave her a smile before she left the kitchen.

“Sure. No problem.” Yuri returned the smile. 

I really should do all the cooking in this house or I’ll be eating poison if she does it. Yuri was smiling while shaking her head. The thought about Jessica not knowing how to cook but still made the effort to try and cook some for her was really overwhelming. I didn’t know that ice princess is this thoughtful.

***

It’s been a while since the two have moved in together. Yuri would do the cooking while Jessica will do the dishes. They usually eat breakfast at their apartment before going to work and go out for lunch together. At dinner it’s either they dine out or just call for delivery or cook at their apartment. They have gotten closer and became more comfortable with each other after living together for quite some time.

Jessica came home at an empty living room though she saw Yuri’s shoes already inside. She thought the other girl must be in her own room so she made her way to her room and took a shower. When she got out of her room there was still no sign of Yuri. It was too quiet. So she went to Yuri’s room to check for the other girl.

“Yuri? Are you there?” Jessica knocked but heard nothing in response.

“Hey I’m coming in okay.” She opened the door and her eyes adjusted on the lack of light inside the room. It was dark inside the room, the lights were off but she still saw a figure on the bed under the blanket.

“Yuri-ah? Are you awake?” She slowly approached the figure on the bed. It was only the light coming from the windows but she knew it was Yuri crawled into a ball while trying to cover herself with the blanket.

Jessica stopped beside the figure on the bed. She the bedside lamp. She saw Yuri shivering.

“Hey are you okay?” She placed her hand on Yuri’s forehead.

“Oh my God. You’re burning. I’m gonna take you to the hospital.” Jessica was about to turn her back and head to the door but the other girl stopped her.

“No. No hospital please. I’m fine.” Yuri managed to speak.

“Oh no. You’re not fine. You are burning up with fever. And I’m taking you to the hospital.” Jessica spoke sternly.

Yuri’s grip on her hand tightened. “Please. No hospitals please. I don’t like them. Just give me medicine please. I’ll be fine I promise.” Yuri’s voice was pleading. She never liked hospitals since she was young. Her younger sister died in front of her and the doctors couldn’t do anything about it. After that incident she never actually liked doctors or hospitals. She tried everything she could to avoid getting sick and being in hospitals.

Jessica sighed. “Okay. No hospitals. I’ll just get some medicine. Give me a minute.” Yuri then released her grip and Jessica went out of the room.

When Jessica returned she had a glass of water and medicine with her.

“Here take this and sleep. You need some rest.” She commanded Yuri who obliged without protest.

Jessica helped her drink the medicine and tucked her to bed.

“Thank you.” Yuri spoke softly while holding Jessica’s hand.

“Sure. It’s what friends do. When I get sick I know you’d also take care of me.” Jessica smiled warmly and squeezed Yuri’s hand.

“Who said I would take care of you when you get sick? I’ll throw you out of this house and----” Yuri’s joke was cut off with a cough.

“Okay nice try Kwon Yuri. You better save up your energy. It’s not the time for your lame jokes. Now sleep.” Jessica warned.

Yuri pouted. She could only nod and closed her eyes.

“I’ll be in my room. Just call me for anything okay? Good night Yuri-ah.” She heard Jessica spoke and walked off. She heard the door shut.

***

The next morning Yuri was woken up with a shake.

“Yuri-ah, wake up. You have to eat breakfast and take your medicine.” She heard Jessica spoke while gently shaking her.

She stirred. “Mmmmm..”

“Come on wake up now.”

Yuri opened her eyes and sat up. She was rubbing her eyes and she saw Jessica holding up a bowl.

“I made you some porridge.”

Yuri stared at her for a moment.

“Don’t worry its’ safe. I called mom and asked for instructions how to make this.” Jessica sheepishly smiled.

“Ohh. Thank you.” Yuri grinned. She was relieved about the food. And was grateful at how the other girl has been taking care of her.

“Have you had breakfast? Yuri asked while taking the bowl from Jessica’s hands.

“Uhhh not yet. I’ll just call for delivery after you finish eating up.”

“Call for the delivery now. I’ll eat later. Let’s eat together when your food arrives.”

“Don’t be stubborn. You eat first so that you can take your medicine on time. Now don’t argue with me.” Jessica glared and stuck a spoonful of porridge in Yuri’s mouth which left Yuri with no choice but to oblige.

When Yuri was done eating and taking her medicine Jessica took the bowl and headed outside. She has to take a bath yet and go to work. She has decided to just buy some take out before going to work.

When Jessica was done with preparing for work she went to Yuri’s room. She knocked and went inside.

“Yuri-ah, I’m going to work now. I’ll be home early. If you need anything or something comes up don’t hesitate to call okay?” Jessica said once she arrived beside Yuri who was lying in bed.

“Hmmm-okay. Thank you. Take care.” Yuri said smiling but didn’t open her eyes.

“You take care also.” Jessica patted Yuri’s head while smiling then left the room.

***

Jessica kept glancing at her watch and kept checking her phone for messages. The meeting didn’t go quite well and is taking longer than usual. She’s worried at how Yuri is doing. She didn’t want to leave earlier her but she had an important meeting so she had to go to work. At lunch she sent her messages checking on her but there was no response. She assumed the other girl must be sleeping. She has left a note on the bedside table giving Yuri instructions that there’s food in the microwave if ever she gets hungry at lunch and she also left the medicine at the bedside table for her to take after meals.

Aish. Why hasn’t she called or texted yet. Jessica is going impatient. She knows it quite well that the other girl is just as stubborn as her. And the meeting is getting on her nerves holding her back from getting home early.

The moment the meeting was finally adjourned Jessica immediately stood up and instructed her secretary to take care of everything because she has an emergency and that she really has to go home. Her secretary gave her a reassuring smile.

Jessica bought some take out for her and Yuri’s dinner. It was past 7 PM and she had a hunch that the other girl hasn’t had dinner yet. Aish. So stubborn. She was driving hastily to their apartment.

When she arrived home the lights were off. When she went to the kitchen she saw a bowl with food left overs. She was relieved that the other girl has eaten lunch. Eating dinner at this hour won’t be that late then. She hurriedly took out some utensils and brought the food to Yuri’s room. She knocked and went inside without waiting for response.

“Hi” Jessica greeted brightly.

“Oh you’re here. Hi” Yuri greeted back while trying to sit up.

“Sorry the meeting took longer than usual. They were so annoying. I really wanted to be home earlier but I can’t leave yet.” Jessica apologized.

“It’s okay. I’m still alive. I still have all my body parts intact.” Yuri grinned.

“Yeah I can see that. Dinner?” Jessica waved the food tray she was carrying.

“Yay! You didn’t cook this right?” Yuri arched an eyebrow.

“I wish I did.”

“Good to hear. Now come on I’m really hungry you know. I was starting to curse you in my mind.”

“How dare you.”

“I know. How dare me.” Yuri dramatically shook her head.

Yuri and Jessica ate dinner together while chatting. After Yuri drank her medicine Jessica took the thermometer and checked the other girl’s body temperature.

“You still got a little fever but atleast not as high as yesterday’s.” Jessica was smiling while setting the thermometer aside.

“See? I’m healthy and strong. So no need to take me to the hospital umma.” Yuri held her biceps and was grinning widely.

“Call me that again and I won’t hesitate to throw you out of this house.” Jessica glared.

 “Aye aye captain!” Yuri was still grinning. Jessica rolled her eyes and stood up. She took the tray and headed out of the room.

Jessica then washed the dishes and took a shower. When she was done she went to Yuri’s room to check the other girl. Yuri was already sleeping when she went inside. She was about to walk outside when she heard Yuri spoke.

“No no no. Please don’t.”

She came beside the sleeping girl. Yuri was sweating and breathing heavily. The girl continued mumbling incoherent words. She sounded having a nightmare. She was pleading.

“Please don’t…” Those were the only few words that Jessica could make up from the endless mumbling of the sleeping girl.

“Yuri-ah? Sush…. You’re having a nightmare. Sushhh.” Jessica sat beside Yuri while gently the other girl’s head.

Jessica was surprised when the sleeping girl took her hand and hugged it. “Please don’t go.” Yuri softly spoke with eyes still closed.

“I---I won’t go anywhere I promise. I’m here. Sushhh.” Jessica continued soothing the still sleeping girl using her other free hand. After a moment, Yuri then slowly relaxed and stopped mumbling. Her breathing began to fall normally. But she was still hugging Jessica’s left arm.

Jessica was left in an awkward position. When she noticed that Yuri has calmed down she tried removing her arm from Yuri but the girl only tightened her hug on Jessica’s arm. She was left with no choice. Jessica then climbed up to bed and positioned herself beside Yuri. She reached for the lamp and turned it off. Soon after she dozed off.

***

Yuri woke up with something heavy on her arm. When she opened her eyes she saw a peacefully sleeping Jessica resting on her arm. When she looked down she noticed that Jessica had her arms around her waist and hugging her like a life size pillow. Yuri’s eyes widened. Jessica resting on her arm and arms around her waist? She racked her brain of the past events. Then she remembered having a nightmare and heard someone gently soothing her. Ohhh. Yuri was thankful that there was no one else around for she was sure her cheeks have become red.

She tried lifting her arm but the sleeping girl snuggled closer. Yuri’s face heated even more. Her heart was pounding hard against her chest. Jessica is too close to her right now. She could smell the sweet scent of the girl’s shampoo. She also noticed how milky white skin the girl has. What the hell are you thinking Kwon Yuri. She scolded herself. Then she brushed away some strands of hair from the sleeping girl’s face. This would be the second time that she has seen this close the bare face of Jessica. Really pretty. Her thoughts were interrupted when the other girl stirred. Yuri immediately closed her eyes and pretended to sleep. Arms still around Jessica.

When Jessica opened her eyes she noticed she wasn’t hugging her pillow. Her eyes widened when it finally dawned at her that she was hugging Yuri by the waist. Her face heated up instantly. When she glanced up she was relieved to see a still sleeping Yuri. Then she noticed that the other girl had her arms around her securing her in an embrace. Her face heated up even more. Her heart racing. She realized how intimate their position is right now.

Jessica slowly removed her arm from Yuri’s waist. The other girl stirred and removed her arm from Jessica. When she glanced up Yuri still had her eyes closed. Jessica has no idea what to do next. She was afraid she might wake up Yuri and she was too embarrassed to explain herself. So she closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep.

Yuri felt Jessica remove her arms from her waist. So she pretended to stir and also removed her arm around Jessica. She didn’t open her eyes. She was embarrassed to face Jessica.

Jessica placed the back of her hand on Yuri’s forehead. The other girl had her fever subsided.

“Yuri-ah? You have to eat breakfast now and take your medicine.” Jessica spoke softly. But didn’t dare to glance up and look at Yuri.

Yuri stirred. “Hmmm…”

After Jessica heard Yuri respond she glanced up. Yuri was looking intently at her. She stared back. Her heart started racing again.

When Yuri heard Jessica spoke she opened her eyes. She looked at the girl beside her. Jessica glanced up and stared back at her. Yuri’s heart started pounding hard against her ribcage again. They just stared at each other for a while and not saying anything.

“Good morning” Yuri greeted and smiled.

“G—good morning” Jessica smiled back.

“Uhh…you were having nightmare last night. You held my arm, didn’t let go and asked me to stay. So I ended up sleeping here.” Jessica tried to explain.

Yuri thought for a while before speaking again.

“Ohh. I remember. Thank you for staying. And sorry I bothered you.”

“No it’s okay. I mean, you’re not a bother.” Jessica reassured her.

“Ohh. So what do you want for breakfast? I’ll cook for you. Just stay here and sleep some more. I want to pay you back.” Yuri smiled brightly.

“But you’re still supposed to stay in bed and rest.” Jessica protested.

“I’m fine already. I have no more fever.”

“But---” Jessica wanted to protest again but Yuri immediately stood up.

“No more buts. Okay? Sleep. I’ll wake you up when breakfast is ready. It’s Saturday so there’s no work for today.” Yuri winked and left her.

Kkab Yul is back. Jessica was wearing a smile when she closed her eyes and dozed off to sleep.

***

The two figures sitting on the couch has been quiet since they arrived a few minutes ago. After almost a year of staying in New York their fathers broke the news to them that they are returning to Korea. Matters concerning the company in New York has become stable and can now operate even without their supervision.

“You okay?” Yuri broke the silence.

“Yeah. Just surprised I guess.”

“Yeah me too. I thought we’re never coming back. I mean yes I definitely miss home but…”

“I don’t think I’m ready yet either.” Jessica continued Yuri's statement.

Yuri sighed. She knew what Jessica meant. She wasn’t also sure if she’s ready to go back yet. She’s afraid of bumping into her ex-girlfriend and she knew Jessica was also thinking the same thing.

Both fell silent.

“What if we happen to see one of them? Should we tell them we’re getting married?” Jessica wasn’t sure what to do if ever that happens.

“Well, we don’t have much choice actually. The moment we land to Korea the news about our engagement will soon follow. I guess it would be better if we tell them sooner rather than keeping it. There’s no use of lying now given the situation. The news would eventually reach them whether we like it or not.” Yuri leaned her back against the couch and took a deep breath. This is more complicated than I thought. Staying here is way better than being on the same country with them. Aish. Yuri closed her eyes. The upcoming return to Korea is giving her headache. Then she felt Jessica’s head leaning on her shoulder.

“I’m afraid Yuri-ah. What if I change my mind if I see her again. What if you change your mind if you see yours again. What will happen then?” Jessica’s soft voice was filled with worry and fear and Yuri could feel it.

“We have to be strong Sica. We are doing this for them remember? We can’t risk them. I’ll be here for you and you’ll be there for me. We have each other to look after. Everything’s gonna be alright.” Yuri reassured her. Then she rested her head on top of Jessica’s. Letting each other comfort their troubled souls.