Chapter 12

Trouble

“Taetae, I have something to tell you.” They were having breakfast one fine Friday morning.

“Hmmm?” Taeyeon was busy chewing her food.

“Jessi invited me to a party this weekend. Would you be okay to come with me?” Tiffany carefully asked.

Taeyeon fell silent for a while before speaking again.

“What party is it for?”

“Uhmmm. Jessi just asked me to come. She didn’t give me much details about it.” Tiffany lied. She had promised Jessica not to tell anything about the wedding yet.

“Oh. Okay.”

“You sure about coming with me?”

“As long as you’re with me, I’m going to be fine Fany-ah. You’re the best girlfriend.” Taeyeon winked.

“Cheezy Taetae!” Tiffany gave Taeyeon a smack in the head.

“Oww! What was that for?!”

“I’m being serious here. Would you come with me at the party?” Tiffany glared the sulking kid in front of her.

“Sheeesh. It’s so early in the morning and you’re physically abusing me again.” Taeyeon was rubbing her head.

“You deserved it.” Tiffany crossed her arm.

“Aish. No wonder no one dared courting you the past year.”

“How would they court me? You were acting like my mother glaring at the ones who wanted to approach me!”

“I wasn’t glaring! I was just being a concerned friend. Of course I wouldn’t want you to end up with someone who’s just so so. And besides, you did worse! You scared my suitors away!”

“I didn’t! They just found out the real you and so they backed off.” Tiffany glared again.

“Whatever.” Taeyeon wiped . She’s done eating.

“So? You coming or not?”

“Yes yes I’m coming with you.”

“Okay then. Let’s go. My car broke down so drive me to my office.” Tiffany stood up.

“Aish. This woman.” Taeyeon also stood up and placed the plates on the sink.

“You wash the dishes later when we get home.” Taeyeon ran through the door after speaking.

That kid. Tiffany followed behind and left the room with a smile on her face.

***

“Ready?” Tiffany asked Taeyeon from the passenger’s seat. It’s the night of Jessica’s engagement party.

“Yes.” Taeyeon squeezed Tiffany’s hand then hopped out of the car.

They entered the house hand in hand.

When they came the party was about to start. They have intentionally chosen not to come too early for Taeyeon’s convenience, to avoid longer hours of interacting with Jessica. They settled on a table at the far right corner near the exit.

“Okay everyone please settle down. I have a very important announcement to make.” Mr. Jung called out for the attention of everyone. Taeyeon and Tiffany knew who the man speaking in front is.

“Thank you very much for coming here and sharing with me this wonderful night. Tonight I am proud to announce to you the engagement of my dear daughter Jung Sooyeon and my soon to be daughter in law, Kwon Yuri.” Mr. Jung called for the two to stand in front. The people around cheered and clapped with excitement except for the two figure at the corner table.

Taeyeon gasped. She couldn’t believe her eyes and her ears. The announcement came to her as a total shock. Engagement? That fast? It’s only been a year! She got over me that fast?! She was furious at the thought of it. She was there stuck and striving really hard to maintain her sanity and to move on while Jessica is getting engaged? It’s just too ridiculous for her to accept. She clenched her jaws. She felt betrayed. How could Jessica forget about her just like that? They’ve been together for 3 in years! She was shaking. Either because of anger or because of the hurt she’s feeling right at that moment.

Tiffany mirrored the same shocked face as Taeyeon’s. She was shocked not because of the engagement announcement, but because of the girl standing beside Jessica. Kwon Yuri. The name rang through her ears. How small has the world gotten into that the girl Jessica is about to marry is the one who left her a year ago. She couldn’t believe what’s happening. Is this what you meant Yuri-ah? That leaving me would be the best for me? Tiffany wanted to drag Yuri out from the party and fly somewhere where no one would ever find them. Where no one would ever be able to get her away from her ever again. She wanted to cry. She wanted to lash out at how it is so unfair for Jessica and Yuri, for her and Taeyeon. Where have all the Gods gone? Why have they allowed such cruel fate for them. Then she felt Taeyeon held her hand.

“Fany-ah, can we go ahead now?” She saw sorrow in Taeyeon’s eyes.

“S---sure. Let’s go. I’ll just text Jessi I wasn’t feeling well.” Tiffany managed to speak and gave her a reassuring smile. They then exited the party without anyone noticing them. They went out hand intertwined tightly.

The drive was filled with silence. Only the sound of the engine and their breathing could be heard. Then she saw Taeyeon pull up on a park near their apartment.

***

They sat on a bench in silence. Taeyeon laid back her head looking at the stars above them while Tiffany stared at nowhere in particular. Both were immersed in their own thoughts.

“Taengoo, see that bright star up there?” Jessica pointed upward. She and Taeyeon were out at their balcony and watching the night sky.

“Hmmm? Why?”

“That would be me watching over you always. Wherever you will go and whatever the season that star would always be right up there watching over you. So when I’m not around and you happen to miss me just look above. I’d always be there shining brightly for you.” Jessica sweetly stated and snuggled closer while Taeyeon wrapped her arms around Jessica’s waist tighter.

“Awww. That’s so sweet my Sica-ah.” Taeyeon chuckled.

“Then let that star also be me so that wherever you will go and whatever the season, that star would always be right up there watching over you. Just like having me watching over you always. Whether we are physically together or not, I’d always be here for you. Just look above and I’ll shine brightly just for you.” Taeyeon sweetly added.

“Copycat!” Jessica smacked Taeyeon. “Can’t you come up with something original?”

“This. Is original.” Taeyeon then leaned in and gave Jessica a passionate kiss. Jessica smiled and gladly responded with same passion.

Taeyeon heaved a deep sigh. Why Sica-ah? Why do we have to end this way?

***

Tiffany was immersed trying to process things. Why Yuri-ah? Why didn’t you tell me about this? Don’t you think I’m strong enough to fight for us? If you can’t, then I can! You’re so unfair Kwon Yuri. So unfair for just leaving me behind. Tiffany wasn’t able to hold back her tears anymore. She cried.

She was sobbing when she felt Taeyeon wrapped her arms around her and held her tight.

“Hey…You okay? Why are you crying? Shouldn’t it be me that is supposed to be crying here?” Taeyeon joked. She was confused as to why did Tiffany just cry. Jessica is her ex-girlfriend and not Tiffany’s.

“Taetae,---Kw---Kwon Yu---Yuri. Sh---she’s my----ex---ex-girlfriend.” Tiffany managed to voice out before crying hard in Taeyeon’s arms. Jessi was right. Its better for Taeyeon to live hating her than to know the real reason but can’t do anything about it. Tiffany cried even harder at the thought of how helpless they are.

Taeyeon fell silent. She didn’t know what to say. Kwon Yuri. The one Jessica is going to marry is Tiffany’s ex-girlfriend. The one whom Tiffany has been talking about for the longest time.

Have they really made the Gods so mad to deserve such fate? Taeyeon was exhausted from all the thinking and from everything that has happened. She just held Tiffany tightly. She wasn’t aware she was also sobbing not until she hiccupped from all the crying. They held each other there and cried. Letting each other’s arms provide comfort.

When Tiffany has finally calmed down, Taeyeon released Tiffany from the hug. She stared at her and placed some hair strands behind her ear before she spoke.

“Let’s go home Fany-ah. It’s getting late. You need some rest.” Taeyeon said with much concern in her voice.

“Okay.” Tiffany could only hung her head low. She was exhausted from crying and from thinking about their situation. Isn’t there really any way for them to fight for their love? Tiffany is tired of thinking. She just wanted to go home and sleep.

Taeyeon held her close and stood up. She wrapped her jacket around Tiffany’s shoulders before they started walking.

“It’s getting cold.” Taeyeon gave her a weak smile.

“Oh.” She can only mutter.

****

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taengsic? Taeny? Yulsic? Yulti? I'm really having a hard time deciding. Whether to give Taengsic and Yulti a chance or go on with Taeny and Yulsic. T____T