Chapter 16

Trouble

Tiffany and Taeyeon were having breakfast when they were interrupted by Taeyeon’s phone ringing.

“Hello?” Taeyeon spoke while sitting across from Tiffany on the table.

“Taeyeon-unnie! This is Yoona” Said the other line.

“Oh Yoong. What is it?”

“Our family owned ski-resort is now open and I would like to invite you to come and be one of the first to try it. You can bring Tiffany-unnie and your friends too.” Yoona explained excitement evident on her voice.

“Wow. That’s good to hear Yoong. When would that be?”

“This weekend unnie. But I would like to suggest for you to extend it to one week so that you can try all the facilities including the rides. It will be an all-expense paid unnie so you and your friends don’t have to worry about anything. Please say yes?”

“Uhhh. I would love to Yoong. I’ll talk to them about it first okay? I’ll call you back if they’re in for it.”

“Okay unnie. I hope you could all come.”

“Thank you Yoong.”

“Thank you unnie. Bye.”

“Bye.”

When Taeyeon was done talking she wore a bright smile.

“What did Yoong say?” Tiffany was curious.

“What do you think of a ski-resort?”

“What about it?”

“Yoona asked me to try and visit their newly opened ski-resort. I would like to bring you and the girls along. It’s an all-expense paid stay so we don’t have to worry about anything. She also suggests that we stay there for one week to be able to enjoy and try everything.”

“Wow! Really?! I’m excited Taetae!” Tiffany’s eyes turned into crescent moons.

“Me too. So you’re coming with me?”

“When would that be?”

“This weekend. But make it one week. I’m not planning of going home after only two days.” Taeyeon grinned.

“Yeah two days would . And yes I’m coming along. I don’t want to miss this chance.” Tiffany was also grinning brightly.

“That’s good to hear. I’ll call the girls and ask if they could come also.” Taeyeon then called the girls one by one.

She’s planning of inviting Sooyoung, Sunny, Hyoyeon and Seohyun along.

***

“Yuri-ah, you’re really not coming along?” Jessica was wearing a pout while packing.

“I’m really sorry Sica. I wanted to come and you know it. But this client suddenly wanted me to come and personally close the deal. I have no choice but to go there. This . You’re having a great vacation there while I work my off because of that bald man.” Yuri made a face which earned a chuckle from the other girl.

“Yeah it would really not having you there to see the things that I’ll be sure enjoying.” Jessica fueled the jealousy of the tanned girl.

“Okay stop it.” Yuri raised one hand.

Jessica laughed but then turned sulking again. “If you finish the deal early you know where to go directly. Just call me for instructions okay?”

“Yes your highness.” Yuri grinned.

***

When Taeyeon and the girls arrived they were greeted by an excited Yoona on the gate.

“Taeyeon unnie! Sooyoung-unnie! Sunny-unnie! Hyoyeon-unnie! Seo! I’m really happy you all came!” Yoona was smiling brightly and gave each one a hug.

“We’re also glad you invited us Yoong.” Sooyoung spoke while smiling brightly.

“Wow. This place is really great Yoong.” Hyoyeon complimented which was agreed by the rest with a nod.

“Thank you unnies and Seo.” Yoona gave a shy smile.

“Uhhh. Can you wait another minute? I’m still expecting some others to come.”

“Ohh sure.” Sunny spoke.

Just then a car entered the gate and they saw someone step out after parking.

“Sica-unnie!” Yoona ran and hugged the girl.

“I’m sorry I’m late Yoong.” Jessica wore an apologetic look.

“It’s okay unnie, Taeyeon-unnie and the girls have just arrived a couple of minutes ago.” Yoona dragged Jessica towards the other guests.

The moment Taeyeon saw the girl who stepped out of the car, she froze. Jessica.

When Jessica arrived at where the other guests where standing, her heart began racing. She saw Taeyeon standing along and looking at her.

“Jessica!” Sooyoung greeted her with a warm hug.

“It’s been so long! Where have you been woman?!” Sunny joined in and hugged her.

“Oh my gosh! I can’t believe you’re here! I missed you guys.” Jessica warmly welcomed the hug.

“I lost my phone when my family and I arrived at New York so I didn’t know where to contact you. Sorry. I’m really glad you’re here.” Jessica explained.

“Ah. It’s okay. We’re also glad to see you again Sica.”

After the three broke their hugs, Yoona spoke.

“Sica-unnie, this is Hyoyeon-unnie and Seohyun. They’re with them.” Yoona pointed the two figures standing beside Taeyeon.

“Oh. Hi! Nice to meet you Hyoyeon-ssi, Seohyun-ssi.”

“Nice to meet you too Jessica. Is it okay if I drop the formalities? I can tell we’re all of the same age and you’re friends with my friends so I guess we’re also friends then.” Hyoyeon wore a bright smile.

“Oh yes please.” Jessica also smiled brightly.

“Nice to meet you too Jessica-unnie.” Seohyun bowed.

“She’s two years younger than us. And one year younger to Yoong.” Sunny explained, answering Jessica’s confused look.

“Oh. Hello maknae.” Jessica bowed also.

All the girls were wearing smiles to their faces. Glad to meet each other at this fortunate event.

“Sica-unnie, where is Yuri-unnie?” Yoona asked after realizing that Jessica came alone. It was also a question that Taeyeon had in mind but didn’t dare to blurt out.

“She sends her apologies Yoong. An emergency about a client came and she can’t leave it.”

“Oh.” Then Yoona turned to face Taeyeon. “Taeyeon-unnie, where is Tiffany-unnie?”

“She really wanted to come but something at work came up. She sends her apologies Yoong.” Taeyeon gave Yoona an apologetic look. All the while Taeyeon was talking, Jessica was listening intently. She was also curious why Tiffany wasn’t around.

“Ahh. But atleast you could come.” Yoona smiled brightly to them which earned a chuckle from everyone. They were interrupted when someone approached Yoona and whispered something.

“It’s okay ahjussi. I’ll tell them. Thank you.” Yoona addressed the old man who immediately excused himself after.

“Uhhh. Something came up with one of the guests and the rooms that I reserved for you has been cut off to three. Sorry unnies.” Yoona gave an apologetic look.

“It’s okay Yoong. There are six of us so we can pair up and sleep together. You guys wouldn’t mind right?” Sooyoung spoke.

Everyone shook their heads. Affirming Sooyoung’s suggestions.

“Thank you. Well then let’s go inside and I’ll give you your room assignments so that you can have a rest.” Yoona instructed and everyone else followed.

Yoona was holding a set of keys while she explained the rooms available.

“Okay Seo you bring your things and let’s head up.” Sooyoung spoke gesturing Seohyun to grab her things.

“Sunny and I will take the middle room.” Hyoyeon then stood up.

Taeyeon and Jessica sat there silently. Neither one of them knew they’d see each other again this time.

“Taeyeon-unnie, Jessica-unnie, would you mind sharing a room together? We can ask them to switch rooms with you.” Yoona eyed the two girls.

“I—it’s okay Yoong. Don’t worry.” Taeyeon spoke after not hearing any response from Jessica.

Then she turned to Jessica, “Would you mind?”

“N—no. It’s fine.” Jessica softly spoke.

“Alright then. It’s settled.” Sooyoung also stood up and was followed by everyone.

“Rest well everyone. I’ll call you up for dinner later.” Yoona bid them goodbye.

***

Taeyeon and Jessica walked silently towards their room. Taeyeon walked ahead while Jessica followed silently. When they arrived at their room both were at awe of the elegance of the room. It had a couch, a flat screen TV and a queen sized bed.

Taeyeon dropped her things on the couch while Jessica placed hers beside the bed.

“I’ll take the couch.” Taeyeon spoke.

Jessica turned to face Taeyeon. She stared at her.

“The bed is big enough for both of us. It’s okay if we share.”

Taeyeon stared back for moment and shifted her eyes to the bed.

“Ohh. Okay.” Taeyeon then took her bag and went to the other side of the bed.

“You can take a shower first. I’ll just take a nap. Wake me up when you’re done.” Taeyeon spoke after plopping herself on the bed.

Jessica could only nod.

When Jessica stepped outside the bathroom it was already dark outside. The room was quiet, only the light snoring of the sleeping girl can be heard. She approached the sleeping figure. She smiled while listening to her snoring. It’s been so long since she had the chance of hearing the light snore of the other girl and watching her sleep. She stopped beside her and stared at her for a moment. The girl seemed so serene. She was tempted to touch the sleeping girl’s cheek and brush aside her hair but she stopped herself from doing so. She had no more right of doing such thing. She sighed. She took one more closer look before stepping back.

“Taeyeon…” Jessica softly spoke. She was torn whether to shake the girl or not.

“Hmmm…” Taeyeon stirred.

“You can take a shower now.”

When Taeyeon opened her eyes she saw the face she once wanted to see every waking moment of her life. Jessica was staring at her. She could smell the sweet fragrance of the other girl’s shampoo and soap. The same scent she had always loved smelling from the girl. She stared back.

Jessica saw Taeyeon open her eyes and stared back at her with an unreadable expression. She averted her eyes first and stepped back.

“You---you can take a shower now.” Jessica repeated what she said earlier.

“Oh okay. Thank you.” Taeyeon then stood up. Picked up her things and headed towards the bathroom.

The moment the door was shut Jessica held her chest. Her heart was racing. She stared at the closed door. Taengoo.

By the time Taeyeon locked the door behind her she let out a deep breath. Her heart was beating faster than normal. She then proceeded to the shower to calm herself.

Jessica was fixing herself in front of the mirror when she heard a knock on the door. When she opened it she was greeted by Seohyun.

“Jessica-unnie, Sooyoung-unnie sent me to inform you that dinner is ready downstairs. They’re all waiting for both of you.” Seohyun explained.

“Ah. Taeyeon is still in the shower. You just go ahead we’ll follow when she’s done. Thank you Seo.” Jessica smiled.

“Okay unnie.” Seohyun also smiled and left.

When Taeyeon stepped out of the bathroom she saw Jessica sitting on the couch and watching TV.

“Dinner is ready downstairs. Seohyun came to pick us up but you were still in the shower so I told her to go ahead and we’ll just follow after when you’re done.”

“Oh okay. Just give me a minute.” Taeyeon tossed the towel in the basket and began fixing herself on the mirror.

“Let’s go.” Taeyeon then headed to the door and waited for Jessica to turn off the TV.

The walk towards the dining hall was silent.

When they reached their table the rest have already started eating. They took the empty seats opposite each other.

“We ate ahead. We’re hungry.” Sooyoung spoke while chewing her food.

“You’re always hungry.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“Whatever midget.” Then Sooyoung turned to Jessica.

“Hey Sica, we were just talking about you.”

“Oh? What about?”

“So you’re already engaged?” It was Sunny’s turn to speak.

Jessica hesitated. She glanced at the figure opposite her. Taeyeon was busy eating. Eyes focused on the food on her plate.

“I---uhh yes. I’m engaged.” Jessica was uncomfortable talking about it in front of Taeyeon.

“Ohh. Wow. You’re already planning of settling down? Lucky you finding the one for you. I’m thinking of turning Korea upside down if I still wouldn’t find mine for the next year to come.” Hyoyeon stated which made everyone laugh.

“Congratulations unnie.” Seohyun greeted her.

“Uhh…thank you.”

Everyone was silent for a moment and enjoyed themselves eating.

“So, Yoong what do you have in mind for us tomorrow?” Sunny changed the subject. She noticed Taeyeon wasn’t comfortable with the topic. Sooyoung, Yoona and her knew Taeyeon and Jessica’s past relationship. And they also knew it didn’t turn out well.  But neither of them dared ask about the reason. They knew if Taeyeon would want to talk about it she’d be the one to open it up. So they just let her be. When they found Taeyeon happy again with Tiffany it was a relief to them that Taeyeon was able to find love again and that is what’s more important.

Taeyeon glanced at Sunny who was also looking at her. She gave Sunny a smile. Silently thanking her for changing the subject.

The dinner went well while chatting about the plans they have for the rest of the week. Everyone was excited about the activities they have in line.

“I’m really happy you are all here. You have to rest now unnies and Seo. We still have a lot to do tomorrow and the rest of the days to come.” Yoona was smiling brightly.

“We’re also happy you invited us Yoong.”

“Okay let’s rest now. See you tomorrow everyone.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

Everyone then stood up bid their goodnights and went to their rooms.

Taeyeon and Jessica walked into their room in silence. No one dared to speak.

***

Taeyeon was awoken by the constant shuffling of sheets beside her.  When she turned the other side to check the girl beside her she saw Jessica curled up with hands covering both ears. It was only then that Taeyeon noticed the flashes of light outside the window. It was raining hard with loud thunders. She stared at the figure beside her. After a while of contemplating, she finally sat up.

Jessica had her back against Taeyeon so when she felt a hand on her arm she was startled. She didn’t notice Taeyeon has made her way towards her.

Taeyeon hesitated whether to do what she thought of doing or not. But still found herself scooting closer to the crouching girl. She held Jessica by the arm. The girl was obviously startled by the contact. Jessica gave her a confused look. Both stared at each other for a while.

Taeyeon didn’t say anything to explain. She scooted closer and took Jessica’s hands away from her ears. Then she held Jessica closer securing her into a warm embrace. It was an old habit she used to do whenever Jessica is afraid because of thunder and lightning. She would always ease the other girl’s fear by a securing embrace. At first she felt Jessica stiffened upon the gesture but then slowly relaxed in her arms. 

Jessica was surprised at what Taeyeon did. She stiffened upon contact. But after a while she relaxed. The all too familiar gesture and feeling gave her warmth. The pair of arms holding her would never fail to give her the sense of security. Her heart started racing. Not because of the fear of thunder or lightning but because of being in Taeyeon’s arms again.

Taeyeon felt the other girl relax after a while. She unconsciously smiled. Her arms would still give the other girl the sense of security like it used to. She could feel her heart pounding hard against her ribcage. She wasn’t dreaming anymore. Jessica is really there. In her arms again.

Soon after, both dozed off to sleep.

***

Yuri drove alone going to Mr. Park’s rest house. Her client wanted to make the closing of deal be held on his rest house. Aside from being a client, Mr. Park is also a family friend so it wasn’t much of a big deal if it would be held on his own place. The rest house was situated on a mountain side. When Yuri was about to turn left she noticed a car parked beside the road with smoke coming out from the hood. She stopped her car and parked not too far away from the broken car.

“Is everything okay miss?” She addressed the girl bending over the hood.

The girl didn’t respond.

Yuri walked closer towards the girl and tapped her back. When the girl turned around and faced her, Yuri froze. Tiffany.

Tiffany was specifically requested by the bride and groom to personally supervise the wedding which was to take place on a mountainside rest house. The specific request for her presence was the reason why she couldn’t come with Taeyeon and the girls.

Tiffany was looking intently at the smoking engine of the car in front of her. She knows how to drive cars but she has no idea how to fix one. She was startled when someone tapped her but she was even more surprised when she came to face that person. Yuri.

Both were clearly surprised seeing each other there. They stared and fell silent for a moment.

“Is everything okay with your car?” Yuri spoke first and averted her eyes.

“Uhhh—I don’t really know. It just started to make some weird noise and later on the engine died down and smoke came out from the hood.” Tiffany explained staring at the car. She avoided eye contact with the other girl.

“Oh. Where are you headed? I can take you there. For the meantime you can just call for a tow truck and have someone check on your car.”

“You sure? I don’t want to bother you.”

“It’s fine. And besides only a few cars pass this area. You better call the tow truck now to get your car.” Yuri insisted.

Tiffany thought for a while and scanned the area. “Uhhh—okay. Thank you.” Tiffany managed to say.

After the tow truck took Tiffany’s car and instructed someone to fix her car she then walked towards Yuri who was leaning on a tree not too far from her.

“Ready?” Yuri took a step forward.

“Yes. Thank you for waiting.”

“It’s fine. So, where are you headed?”

“At a rest house not far from here.”

“Hmmm. Does the owner of that rest house happen to be the Parks?”

Tiffany raised an eyebrow. “Y—yes?”

“Oh. I’m also headed there for a client.”

“Ah.”

“Come on. Let’s get going. Let me help you with your stuff.” Yuri then took the bag from Tiffany and motioned her to follow towards her car.

They walked in silence. When they reached the car, Yuri opened the backseat and placed Tiffany’s stuff there. Then she opened the door for Tiffany on the passenger’s seat.

“Th—thank you.” It was all that Tiffany managed to say.

Yuri responded with a nod.

“Ready?” Yuri spoke when she was settled on the driver’s seat.

“Yes.”

Tiffany and Yuri rode towards the rest house in silence. When it was too awkward Yuri the stereo but scolded herself the moment she realized what playlist she had on.

The sorrowful tune of “I Love You” filled the car.

Silence.

Both girls had their hearts racing. But no one dared to speak and break the silence.

Yuri focused on driving while Tiffany turned her attention at the scenery outside the window.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

P.S. 

"I Love You" by JUST is an OST of Man from the Stars. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Still not sure which pair to end up. TT____TT