Chapter 11

Trouble

Tiffany smelled the bacon the moment she stepped out of her room. She went straight to the kitchen after.

“You’re still here? I thought you’ve already gone out for work.”

“Oh hi. Good morning to you too. I took the day off. I just want to laze around. I don’t feel like working today.” Taeyeon was busy setting the table.

“Ohh okay.” Tiffany didn’t know what else to say. She wasn’t sure how Taeyeon is taking everything. That Jessica and her are cousins. And seeing her ex-girlfriend last night.

“I’m fine Fany-ah. And I still would like for us to continue with the plan. Don’t worry I can handle it. I have you now remember? We have each other now.” Taeyeon gave her a weak smile.

Tiffany could only nod. As much as she wanted to protest, she knows how stubborn the other girl is. And somehow Taeyeon’s words kinda gave her assurance that everything’s gonna be alright. It was heartwarming how Taeyeon is valuing her and their friendship. How Taeyeon sees her and is relying on her. It just gave her a warm feeling.

Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone vibrated. She took it out and read the message before speaking.

“Taetae, I won’t be having dinner here. I have to meet a client. Don’t wait for me okay?”

“Hmmm. Okay. Now let’s eat breakfast. The food is starting to get cold.” Taeyeon gave her a warm smile which she responded also with a smile.

***

Jessica and Tiffany had dinner at a cozy restaurant. Jessica asked Tiffany to meet her later that day and specifically asked not to bring Taeyeon along. Just the two of them.

“So…I guess Taeyeon has already told you about our history? I’m sorry I didn’t talk about it last night.” Jessica gave her an apologetic look.

“It’s fine Jess. I understand. It was better that way also. The party turned out well. And I understand it’s no one’s fault either.” Tiffany gave her a reassuring smile. After all they’re cousins before best friends.

“Thank you Tiff.” Jessica responded with a warm smile.

Jessica was nervous. She kept fiddling the strap of her bag that was on her lap.

“Uhhhmm. Tiff, I have something important to tell you. I wasn’t supposed to tell about this but next week. But---- I think you should know about it this soon.”

“What is it?”

“I’m getting married.”

Tiffany stared. Images of Taeyeon came across her mind. Jessica is getting married. How is Taeyeon going to accept such news?

“What?! Are you sure about this Jess? It’s only been a year--- I mean Taeyeon has told me about you and it has only been a year right? Don’t you think it’s too early? Too fast?” Tiffany couldn’t believe her ears.

“Yeah I know it’s only been a year and I find it too fast also. But there’s nothing I can do about it.” Jessica wasn’t looking at her. She just hung her head low the entire time.

“What do you mean there’s nothing you can do about it? Don’t tell me you’re pregnant?!” Tiffany is clearly confused.

“Wha---NO! Of course not!” Jessica quickly defended herself.

“Then what is it? Why can’t you do anything about it?”

Jessica took a deep breath before speaking. “Arranged marriage.”

“What?! Those stuff still exist?!”

“Even before I was born, daddy and his bestfriend who is also a co-owner of the company have agreed to have their kids marry in the near future. But when both of them saw that they both had daughters they put the plans to a pause. It would be hard to force people to marry who don’t swing that way. But when they found out that both their daughters swing that way…then having same marriage wouldn’t be a problem at all.”

Tiffany just stared at Jessica. She fell silent for a moment trying to process what Jessica just said.

“That’s ridiculous Jess. How about the person you are going to marry, does she also approve of this marriage thing?”

“No she doesn’t. We were both in a relationship when our fathers told us about the plan. She said she was in a two-year relationship with someone and that she was already planning to marry her. I on the other hand was on a three-year relationship with Taeyeon that time. We tried to fight for our relationships but our fathers insisted. They even threatened us that if we continue on with our relationships, then we would be the source of the downfall of our lovers. We got afraid of what they might do to them so in the end we agreed against our will. She broke up with her girlfriend and I…broke up with Taeyeon.” Jessica’s voice was trembling. It’s already been a year but the bitter reality still hurts her. How she has to give up Taeyeon just to protect her. How she has to give up the only source of her happiness just to continue seeing her in good state. It was just unfair. Life has been so unfair to them.

Tiffany fell silent again. She stared at Jessica in disbelief.

“But you haven’t told those things to Taeyeon.”

“I---I prefer it that way. To just leave with no explanation. That way she would hate me. It’s better if she hates me---I know her too well that if she finds out the real reason---she---would fight for me. For us.” Jessica wasn’t able to hold back her tears any longer. She was crying. The thought of Taeyeon fighting for their love….she knows it too well that it would be of no use no matter how much they fight for it.

Tiffany held the sobbing Jessica in her arms. She felt how helpless her cousin is. She felt empathy for her and the girl who also had the same fate as her cousin. It’s just too absurd.

After her crying died down, Jessica spoke.

“I’m happy knowing that Taeyeon is in good hands. Please take care of her Tiff. She’s a good person and she only deserves what’s best for her. And I know you are the best.” Jessica weakly smiled while facing Tiffany.

“But Jess---“

“I’m having the engagement party next week and I’m inviting you to come. Bring her along. Its better she finds it that way about the marriage.” Jessica then straightened and fixed herself.

“Don’t you think you’re torturing her Jess?”

“You’re a lovely person Tiff. I know she’d learn to get over me and love you with all of her…..Please Tiff. Just do this favor for me. I don’t want to give her any false hopes. I know you love her too. You’re such a cute couple you know. I’m happy for both of you.” Jessica weakly smiled and squeezed Tiffany’s hand before she stood up.

“Take care of her Tiff. I know she’ll take care of you too. And…she doesn’t like vegetables. I know she just eats the cucumbers I give her because I don’t want to eat them and she doesn’t want food to go to waste.” Jessica gave a bitter chuckle.

“I’ll go ahead now. See you next week.” Jessica then her heels. Leaving Tiffany staring at her while she walks away.

***

Taeyeon was busy munching snacks while watching TV when Tiffany arrived.

“Hey how did the meeting go?”

“Exhausting. Have you had dinner?” Tiffany plopped herself beside her on the couch.

Taeyeon only gave a sheepish smile.

“Aish. I told you don’t skip meals!” Tiffany snatched the snack Taeyeon was munching.

“Hey! That’s my dinner!”

“This is not dinner Kim Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon sulked. Like a kid being reprimanded by her mother.

“Go order pizza I want to eat too.” Tiffany grinned.

Taeyeon raised her eyebrow. “I thought you already had dinner? What are you, glutton?”

“I did. But that was hours ago. I’m hungry.” Tiffany was pouting.

Aish. “Fine. You go take a shower first while I order.” Taeyeon then stood up and walked towards the phone.

Tiffany also stood up but before she went to her room she approached Taeyeon and hugged her. Which startled the other girl.

“Hey…what’s up with you?” Taeyeon asked. She was confused as to why the sudden hug.

“I’m just happy you’re her Taetae.”

“Silly. And I’m also happy you’re here.” Taeyeon returned the hug.

“Now go and shower you stink!” Taeyeon playfully patted Tiffany’s head.

“No I don’t!” Tiffany pushed Taeyeon earning a laugh from the shorter girl.

“Yes you do.” Taeyeon said grinning.

"Hmff!!" Tiffany crossed her arms and turned away stomping towards her room.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Taengsic? Taeny? Yulti? Yulsic? I'm really torn. T_____T