Chapter 35

My husband, the babokwang!

   #Yonghwa#
  "Yeoboseyo?"
  Startled, I pulled away from my handphone and checked if I had called the right person. Yup, I called Lia, alright.
  "Erm, is Lia there?" I asked.
  The girl's voice sounded sad. "Lia's asleep. Who is this? Do you like me to pass a message to her?"
  "Oh, sure. Tell her that Shin Yoong wants her to take her guitar back. He called a few months ago, but she hadn't retrieve the guitar yet still."
  "What's wrong with her guitar?"
  "The string's wore out. Oh, yeah. And she has to retrieve it by tomorrow."
  "Tomorrow?" I heard the frown in her voice. "She can't retrieve it tomorrow."
  "Why not?"
  "Because she's in the hospital."
  "What?! Why is she in the hospital?"
  "She met with an accident two months ago, and didn't wake up until yesterday."
  What?! No wonder I hadn't heard from her for so long. And nobody even told me.
  "Who's this?" I asked.
  "I'm her cousin, Ha Seung."
  "Ha Seung-ah, which hospital?"
  She gave me the details.
  The next day, Lia's guitar case hung over my shoulder as me and my members made our way to Lia's room in the hospital.
  We knocked on the door and walked in cautiously. Lia was alone, sitting down on her bed. She was holding onto an Ipad, watching a video. When we came in, she put them away and smiled at us. I frowned. Her eyes looked haunted though.
  "Annyeonghaeseyo, nugu ya?" She asked.
  We stared at her, confused. She'd grown thinner, and she still looked pale and drained out. Her lips were dry. I wanted to wet them.
  "What do you mean nugu ya? I'm your hyung, remember?"
  She looked at us blankly. "I'm sorry, but I lost my memory."
  I didn't know if she was joking or not. Lia was a naughty girl, she'd do this kind of thing just to mess with us. But then again, she did look very convincing.
  I grinned. "You're playing with us, aren't you? Nice try, Lia. But I don't buy it."
  She shook her head, her hair flying around. "I don't remember you."
  "You really don't remember us, Lia?" Minhyuk asked, a little upset.
  She shook her head again. She had amnesia?
  The door opened and Lee Gi Kwang— what the?— and the rest of the Beast members came into the room. They looked up and saw us. We stared at one another for the whole of two minutes in total silence. With Lia watching us back and forth.
  "Ya, Beast!"
  "Oh, CNblue!"
  Gi Kwang and I said it at the same time.
  Beast was kind of rooted to the spot, surprised to see us. We were surprised to see them too.
  "Wha—what are you guys doing here?" Doojoon asked. "Do you guys know Lia?"
  "Of course. We always jammed together," Jonghyun answered.
  "What about you guys? How do you guys know Lia?" Jungshin asked.
  They didn't answer, but they didn't have to because I figured it out.
  I turned to Lia, feeling betrayed. "Ya, Lia! Why didn't you tell me that your husband is actually one of the Beast members?"
  Gi Kwang turned and attacked her too. "Ya! Why didn't you tell me you've been jamming with CNblue?"
  "Yikes." She looked at me, then at Gi Kwang, and back again. Then she faked a yawn and smiled innocently. "Aaaahh... I'm so tried. I think I shall go back to sleep now. Goodnight!" She took the blanket and covered her whole self, even her head.
  Gi Kwang and I grabbed the blanket and pulled it hard, exposing her head to us. "Ya!"

  

>Lia<
  A strain of my hair fell onto my face and I blew them away miserably. How did I end up in this situation?
  "Ya!" They yelled again.
  I got frustrated. "How am I supposed to know? I don't even remember any of you!"
  Yang Yoseob stepped forward. "Look guys, cut Lia some slacks. She has amnesia. She can't remember anything."
  "Yeah!" I shot. Lee Gi Kwang and the new guy glared at me. I shrunk lower in my seat.
  "Let's just sit down and talk."
  They settled down. Some on chairs, some leaning against the wall. I looked at all these strangers. What did they want from me?
  The new guy, the one that yelled at me, sat the closest to me. He placed the guitar case on his lap. "This is your guitar."
  I sat up properly. "Really?"
  "Ne." He took off the case, and I saw my old beloved guitar. "Do you recognize this?"
  "Of course!"
  He frowned and turned to Beast. "I don't get it. Why does she remember the guitar but not us?"
  "She doesn't remember anything after—" Lee Gi Kwang's eyes flickered to me, as if he knew that my heart would break all over again when he said, "Her brother's death."
  The guy stared thoughtfully at him for a moment. "Are you her husband?"
  Lee Gi Kwang started in surprise. "How'd...?"
  "Lia and I are close. We tell each other our problems."
  "We do?" I asked, frowning. "What's your name?"
  He gazed at me. "Yonghwa. You call me hyung."
  "Hyung..." I cracked my brain, trying to remember him, or any of them. Nothing came into mind.
  "What about you? What's your name?" I asked the others.
  They introduced themselves to me. And again, I couldn't remember them even when I tried so hard. It was so maddening! Urgh!
  "I can't remember, I'm sorry," I mumbled.
  "It's okay, Lia. We understand. Take it slow, alright? It'll come back to you," Jonghyun said.
  "Yeah, Lia! Don't worry, okay?" Minhyuk said cheerfully. He was cute.
  "She told you about me?" Lee Gi Kwang asked Yonghwa.
  "Not you exactly. She told me she's married. But she didn't tell me who her husband was."
  "Waaahh..." Junhyung sighed. "Lia kept it well from us. Why didn't you tell us that you have other artist friends too?"
  "What?" I said, startled. "They're artists too?"
  "We're in a band named CNblue," Jungshin explained.
  I sighed. What was up with me? Why was I surrounded with famous people?
  "Lia," Yonghwa called. "You really can't remember us? The times we jammed? The songs we made together?"
  I tried to remember, I really did. "I'm sorry. I can't. If you tell me stories of that, maybe that would help."
  So they started telling me all the times I spent with them. I went jamming with them every Sunday afternoon. We'd jam old songs or new songs that we created together. They told me about all the private jokes shared among the five of us. All the stupid, ridiculous moments we had.
  Then, suddenly, Yonghwa's eyes lit up. "Maybe this would help," he told me.
  He placed my guitar properly on his lap and started tuning it. We watched him.
  "Why are you tuning it?" I asked.
  "I'm going to play you a song that you and I made together. The first ever song we made together." He smiled at me. "You're ready?"
  I sat up straigther and nodded.
  He started plucking the strings. A soft, sweet melody started to fill the room. Something sharp poked the side of my brain and I frowned a little. The melody sounded familiar...
  Then, Yonghwa started singing. His voice was soft and gentle, caressing my raw memory. "Smile, don't cry. Its okay. Aren't we together?"
  A sharp pain invaded my head and I clenched my head in both of my hands, a little.
  "Lia!"
  "L!"
  "Lia-ah!"
   A faint memory was coming back to me. A faint, brief melody was pushing itself into my head.
  "Stop it. Stop playing!" Lee Gi Kwang scolded Yonghwa. "Can't you see it's hurting her?"
  "I..." Yonghwa looked at me apologetically, speechless.
  "No. Don't stop. Continue please. Something's coming back to me. Yonghwa-ah, please continue," I said, still clenching my head.
  "But L—" Yang Yoseob started.
  I shook my head. "Please. It's helping me to remember. Please continue."
  Yonghwa started playing again. "No matter what people say, I believe in you."
  Suddenly, a bunch of melodies and lyrics exploded in my head. And I remembered. I remembered! I remembered hyung and the others. I remembered every Sunday afternoon. I remembered the first time I met hyung, in Shin Yoong's guitar shop. I remembered my electric guitar.
  When the next verse came, I sang along with hyung. "Smile, don't be hurt. I'm here for you..."
  A huge smile started spreading across hyung's face. And as the song ended, he jumped out of his seat. "Do you remember now? Do you remember us?"
  I looked at him and said, "hyung."
  He laughed and threw himself at me. "You remembered! You remembered me!"
  Minhyuk and Jungshin stood up hopefully. "What about us? Do you remember us?"
  "Of course. You're Minhyuk. And you're Jungshin."
  "What about me?" Jonghyun asked.
  I faked a frown and acted like I was cracking my brain to remember. "Erm, you're...?"
  His face fell and his eyes looked so hurt. I laughed then.
  "Ya! Jonghyun, waeguerae? I was just joking!"
  Hyung, Minhyuk and Jungshin laughed.
  Jonghyun grinned in relief and then tousled my hair. "You— you're so naughty!"
  Yang Yoseob came to me then. "Lia, what about us? Beast? Do you remember us?"
  I turned to them and— blank. Nothing came into my head. I couldn't remember them. Even when I had watched the videos they showed me in the Ipad, I still couldn't remember those moments we had. I looked at him apologetically and shook my head. I saw the flash of deep hurt in Lee Gi Kwang's eyes. The upset looks on everyone of Beast's faces, and quickly tried to reassure them.
  "I'll remember. I just need more time. I will remember, Beast. Just, give me time."
  Yang Yoseob's eyes filled with tears. "Excuse me."
  He turned and rushed out of the room. Beast members followed him slowly. I watched helplessly as one by one went out. I felt sorry and so, so guilty. Lee Gi Kwang was last to go. He looked at me again, our eyes met. There was so much pain in his eyes, and my guilt grew bigger. Then he tailed s out the door.
  I wanted to cry. I felt so bad for hurting them. Why wouldn't my brain remember them? Stupid brain! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
  Hyung touched my shoulder lightly. "Don't beat yourself up, Lia. It's not your fault."
  I turned to him. "Why won't I remember them? My memory— there are blank spaces there. I remembered going to Shin Yoong shop for the first time, feeling upset about something. But I don't know what. I don't know why I was upset."
  "Do you remember what we talked about in the studio after that?"
  I frowned and tried to remember, digging deep into my memory. "I... No. I don't remember," I whispered sadly. "I remembered you crashed my pity party. But I don't remember what we talked about."
  "Gwaenchana, Lia. It'll come back to you. You just have to be patient," Hyung advised.
  "But its frustrating!"
  The doctor came in then. "Your husband told me you recovered a memory?"

  

°Yoseob°
  I couldn't take it. It wasn't fair. We spent so much time with her, more than the CNBlues, but why couldn't she remember us?
  The tears that spilled were tears of hurt, angry and sadness.
  "Yoseob hyung!"
  "Yoseob!"
  "Yoseob-ah!"
  The kids went after me. I stopped walking and waited for them to catch up to me, wiping my tears away.
  "Yoseob-ah, don't be like that," Doojoon said once he reached me.
  "It's just not fair!"
  "I know it's not."
  Dongwoon was tearing up too. "Lia's biased. She likes CNBlue more than us."
  "Dongwoon, don't say that. Lia is hurting as much as we are. She's trying her best to remember us."
  Junhyung blinked away his tears. "Doojoon's right. It's not her fault. We shouldn't give her a hard time."
  "She had enough of a hard time already. What, with finding out about her brother and that she's married to a pabo, it must be so overwhelming," Hyun Seung said.
  They were right. I knew they were right. But I couldn't help but feel angry at Lia.
  Gi Kwang came staggering towards us, his shoulders hunched, legs dragged along the floor, head bowed down in defeat. I felt suddenly bad. He was the one hurting the most among us. It must be so hard for him. Harder than any of us.
  "What should we do about that pabo?" I asked the others as we watched Gi Kwang coming slowly towards us. "He's hurting a lot. Lia's hurting too. This isn't like the last time. This isn't anyone's fault. Gi Kwang can't fix it by just telling Lia that he loves her."
  No one answered because none of us knew what to do.
  Gi Kwang reached us, and Hyun Seung pulled him into a hug. Junhyung joined and we all came together.
  "I don't know what to do anymore," Gi Kwang whispered brokenly. "I feel like she's slipping away from me, further and further away as each day passed. I don't know how to stop it."
  "You have to be patient. We all have to," Doojoon said.

#Yonghwa#
  Lia told me if I wasn't busy, come and accompany her at the hospital. Being me, my understanding of that statement was that she wanted me there everyday. So I went there everyday.
  Whenever I arrived, she was either watching videos of her and Beast in the Ipad, or she had just finished her physiotherapy. Gi Kwang was always there, nearby or right beside her.
  The sixth consecutive time I came to visit her, Gi Kwang stopped me right outside of her room. Beast members were leaning against the walls behind him.
  He had a hand on my chest. His head turned to look at me slowly.
  "Why are you here again?"
  Huh, ganging up on me? Six against one? Didn't seem fair.
  "To see Lia, of course."
  He went to stand directly in front of me. "I don't like you coming everyday to see her."
  I stared hard at him. "And what am I supposed to do about that?"
  "Stop coming. Stop seeing someone's wife," Junhyung drawled from behind. He wasn't even looking at me.
  I glared at everyone. "Lia wants me here."
  "No, she doesn't," Gi Kwang countered.
  I took a step into his personal space. I gave him credit for not flinching. We stared into each other's eyes.
  "She used to be so upset about you. You didn't treat her right. She was hurt a lot because of you. You should remember that I was there for her when you hurt her. I helped ease her ache of you. I was there for her when you weren't," I hissed.
  I saw a flash of guilt, regret and pain in his eyes. "I love her now. I treat her right this time."
  "But the wounds you gave her? Is still there. Even if she can't remember them."
  More regret.
  I stepped aside and stalked off to Lia's room. This time, no one stopped me.
  Lia looked up. "Oh, hyung. I was wondering when you'd come."
  I told you she wanted me here.
  I smiled. "Am I late?"
  She looked at the clock in the Ipad. "A little." Then she stared at me for a moment. "Hyung, waeyo?"
  "What?"
  "Something happened. I can tell. Tell me, hyung. I want to know."
  "It's not important."
  "I still want to know. Tell me," she insisted.
  She was becoming like me. It kind of made me smile.
  "I had a serious talk with Beast just now."
  She raised a brow. "About me?"
  "They don't like me coming here everyday to see you."
  Lia stared at the door, a small frown on her face. "I wanted you to come because I needed a familiar face." She looked at me. "I guess you should stop coming. Maybe, three times a week is enough."
  I sighed. "You sure?"
  She nodded.