Chapter 32

My husband, the babokwang!

    •Gi Kwang•
  I refused to go anywhere but at Lia's side, sticking by her twenty-four-seven. I only stepped away when Eomeonim forced me to go to the cafe and eat something. I would gobble the food down and rush back to Lia's side. I wanted to be there when she woke up. I wanted her to see that I was there for her.
  Depression. I was so depressed that I bought a cigarette and a lighter at a store one day. I was supposed to eat something, but I went into a small store instead. I was buying a bottle of water when my eyes fell on the boxes of cigarettes on the counter. The next thing I knew, a lighter and a box of cigarettes were in my hands.
  I ripped the box open, took one stick out and put it into my mouth. Fire lighted, I hesitated to light the cigarette. Then, I remembered Lia saying she didn't like smokers. The cigarette fell out of my mouth.
  "Don't you want that?" A guy with dark blond hair asked me.
  I turned to look at him. He was sitting on a bench near the store I had just came out. His elbows on his knees, hands dangling, eyeing the cigarettes in my hands.
  "Cause if you don't want that, my hands are open," he continued, plastering a smile.
  I threw the things at him. "You can have them. It's free."
  Then I turned and walked back to the ward to be with Lia again.
  Two weeks later, there was a surprise visit. Jay and a few of Lia's friends from the States came over. The two girls cried when they saw the state Lia was in. The three guys I'd never seen before cursed under their breaths.
  "How's she doing?" Jay-hyung asked me. For the first time in my life, I saw no cheekiness or the mischievous glint in his eyes. He was very, very serious.
  "Doctor said she's out of critical condition. They just don't know why she hasn't woken up yet."
  "How did this happen?" The blond girl— her name's Ashley, if I wasn't wrong— sniffled. I was surprised that she knew how to speak Korean.
  "It was raining heavily. She was sending her friend home when a truck hit her car."

  "Who brought her to the hospital?" The guy with dimples on his cheeks asked me. He looked way too young to be the same age as Lia. Then again, Yoseob looked young too.
  I frowned and shook my head. "Some guy."
  They watched Lia through a transparent glass wall that separated us from her. The doctor and nurses transferred her to this room after she was out of critical condition.
  "Damn, Lia. You went MIA and the next thing we know, you're in a freaking coma," the guy closest to me muttered under his breath. His name was Adam. I knew this because he was wearing a jersey t-shirt with his name on it.
  The other guy with intense dark blue eyes, pinned me with his gaze. "Anyone told her father?"
  My face tightened. "I didn't allow Keomonim to tell him. He'd disowned her. They have nothing to do with each other anymore."
  He gave me a level stare. I thought I saw a glint of approval in his eyes.
  "Can I go inside?" The other girl— the easiest name to remember because her name was short— Roo asked.
  I nodded, and pressed the button for the door. They went in and I followed.
  "Are you guys very close to Lia?" I asked them after each and everyone of them greeted Lia.
  "We were in the same boat as her," Ashley explained. "Except for Jace's father." She gestured to the dimpled guy. "Ours worked for her father."
  "So you knew Lucas?"
  I caught a flash of sadness in Roo's eyes before she covered it up by rolling them. "Everyone knew the twins. They were way too popular for their own good. Among adults too. Because they were so talented. They'd take part in any competition, regardless if it was a science competition or dancing competition. And they'd win every single one of it too. Because Lucas was very competitive..." she trailed off. There was a deep pain in her voice that made me think she had something going on with Lucas before he died.
  "It was not just because they were talented," Ashley continued. "The twins stood out in a crowd, you know? They have this korean blood in them that made their skin so soft and white. Not pale like us. Their looks were extraordinary too."
  "What was she like? Lia, in high school."
  Even though he only smiled a little, Jace's dimples were deep. "Every guy wanted her and every girl wanted to be her. That was how she was. Outgoing and outspoken. Way too nice and friendly to everyone. Wild. Reckless. The center of attention. Party won't start unless she's there— that kind of girl. Everyone adored and worshipped her. She was kind and friendly to everyone. The jocks, the nerds, aunties and uncles, kids and babies. Even her enemies."
  "She had enemies?"
  All six of them started chuckling. "Just some cheerleaders who were jealous of her popularity and beauty."
  "Even so, they couldn't hate her for long. Lia had this personality that was hard to hate," Jay-hyung mused.
  "What about Lucas?" I asked.
  "Lucas had this thing about him that made you want to listen to every word he said. He had this strong presence that made you acutely aware of him even if he wasn't making a sound. He was more of a guarded and quiet type. Kept things to himself. Most times we didn't even know that something was wrong with him. Only Lia would, of course. She took one look at him and knew. People who weren't close to him would think that he was arrogant because he didn't smile a lot. But actually, he was a really cool and funny guy," Adam told.
  Ashley giggled. "Lucas was a funny-scary guy. He made jokes without smiling. Which made us a little confuse. Sometimes we didn't know whether it was a joke or he was serious until Lia laughed."
  I smiled a little. "So you have to wait for her to laugh then you guys would laugh?"
  "Yeah."
  They cracked up, thinking about their past. I wished I had been there. I wanted to know this different side of Lia. I wanted to meet the cool Lucas.
  "You wouldn't want to make him pissed," Jay-hyung continued. "That would be a very bad idea, man."
  Roo shuddered a little. "When he was angry, we stayed five meters away from him. Nobody dared to come close to him, except for Lia and their father."
  "And if someone messed with Lia, they were dead. Lucas would hunt them down and make'em wish they were never born," the blue eyed guy said quietly. I still didn't know his name.
  "Dude was superior," Jace agreed. "He wasn't afraid of anyone, except for one person."
  "Park Liam-shi," Ashley told me when she saw the questioning look on my face. "Their father."
  "If you think Lucas was scary, wait till you meet Mr Park."
  I turned back to Lia, remembering all the stories she told me about her father. "Lia told me about her father. I hate him."
  "I feel you," Jay-hyung muttered.
  "From the sound of it, Lucas was like him huh?"
  "They were similar," Adam said. "But not the same. Mr Park doesn't like Lia. But Lucas loved her more than his life."
  "I think the reason why Lucas showered Lia with so much love was because their father never gave her a touch of his love," Roo voiced out. She stared at my wife. "Sometimes I got jealous of Lia. Because Lucas never gave his special smile to anyone but her. He treated her with so much gentleness and affection. If you met him when he wasn't with Lia, you'd think he was a tough guy. But when you see him with Lia, you'd wonder if this guy had a spilt personality."
  "He was like her brother and father," Jace added.
  "Everything changes after that night though," the blue eyed guy said quietly.
  The light atmosphere fell short, and all of them looked away.
  "Lia was never the same again," Jay-hyung murmured.
  Ashley started tearing up. "She never smile anymore."
  Adam put his arm around her. "Then, she disappeared."
  The blue eyed guy was staring at Lia in one kind. I didn't like how his eyes never left her face. Or the intimate grip he had on her hand.
  "When I asked my dad what happened to the Park family, he just said that Mr Park Liam doesn't have children anymore," Roo whispered.
  "We tried to find her, but we have no idea where."
  "We heard news about her whereabouts from Jay months later." Jace looked at me. "And he said that she was smiling again. Though, not the same. Still, the smile was there. And we believe it was because of you."
  I shook my head. "Not really. My members did it. Yang Yoseob, did. He was the first to get a smile out of her." I looked down, ashamed. "I didn't treat her right at first. I was bad to her."
  The blue eyed guy's head snapped to me, his eyes burning with wild rage. Jay-hyung placed a warning hand on his shoulder.
  "Easy there, Michael. They worked it out in the end, didn't you, Gi Kwang?" He said, widening his eyes at me to agree.
  I nodded slowly, a little weirded out with that Michael dude.
  Without a word, he turned and stalked off. We watched him go silently.
  Ashley looked at me apologetically. "About that, Mian. Michael and Jay were very close to the twins. Michael..."
  "Michael's in love with Lia," Roo cut in bluntly.
  I stared at the direction where he had left.
  "But she never looked at him," Adam said. "She never looked at anyone."
  "He was heartbroken when he found out that she'd gotten married."
  "It's not just because of that," Jay-hyung said suddenly. We all looked at him. He sighed and leaned back his head against the wall glass as he squeezed his eyes shut. "The day before Lucas was killed, he made me and Michael promise to take care of Lia when he was gone. It was like he knew he was going to die."
  Ashley gasped silently, covering a hand over . Roo's eyes teared up. Jace gripped her shoulder. Adam swallowed hard.
  "He was very persistent, forcing us to make an oath in front of him. I didn't think about it at that time. I thought that it wouldn't happen so soon." His voice cracked. "I should have taken his words seriously. Should have thought about it more."
  "Jay..." Ashley sobbed.
  "Now look what happened to him, to Lia." He gripped a handful of his hair in both hands. "We didn't keep our promise. Michael was beating himself up because of this, and because he loves Lia."
  "You shouldn't feel guilty about this," I said. "It wasn't your fault or Michael's. It was mine. I'm her husband. I was supposed to be there beside her, protecting her."
  "Do you people hear yourselves?" Roo demanded suddenly, wiping her tears away angrily. "Do you think Lia would like it if she heard you guys blaming yourself?"
  "Roo's right, man," Adam mumbled. "Lia hates that the most."
  "It's no one's fault here. We didn't know that Lucas was going to die. We didn't know Lia was going to be in an accident. All of this wasn't anyone's fault. Not Jay's, not Michael's and neither is it Gi Kwang's," Ashley said fiercely. "Understand?"
  Jay smiled slightly and pinched her cheek. "Yes, my dear Ashley. I understand."


  >Lia<
  Lucas stood up.
  "Where are you going?" I stared up at him.
  He smiled sadly at me. "It's time for me to go."
  I jumped up. "What? Go where?"
  "Back." He pulled me into an embrace.
  "I want to come with you."
  He pulled back and looked at me. "Do you really, Lia? Do you really want to come with me? Are you sure?"
  I frowned uncertaintly. "I... do."
  He chuckled. "Think, Lia. Wait, on second thought, don't think. Follow your heart."
  "What's that supposed to mean?"
  He started backing away, smiling slightly at me. I panicked.
  "Lucas! Where are you going? Where am I supposed to go?"
  "You'll know where to go once you've decided," he told me, walking backwards.
  I wanted to join him, but something in my heart stopped me.
  He was starting to fade, vapours were coming out of the floor and engulfing him.
  "Lucas! I love you, twin! Tell mum that I love her too, will you? I love both of you." The tears that tingled down my cheeks were effortless.
  I could barely make out the bright smile he flashed me. "We know, twin. We know."
  "And twin, I'm sorry I let you die. I'm sorry I didn't have your back, as promised. I'm sorry!"
  He stopped moving all together. "God, twin! Stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault. There's nothing I have to forgive you for. I wasn't meant to live anymore. There's a reason to why all this happened."
  "What's the reason for you to die, then? To make me suffer?" The tears that poured out of me now were angry tears.
  He shook his head. "If I didn't die, you would still be in that hell hole with Dad. If I didn't die, you would still be doing that sin stuffs." A smile started spreading across his face. "And if I didn't die, you wouldn't have met Gi Kwang."
  Then, he vanished. Just like that.