Chapter 24

My husband, the babokwang!

 °Yoseob°
  We went back to the dressing room. Unfortunately, Min followed us. Lia deliberately walked faster than Gi Kwang and Min. I kept pace with her.
  "Were you close to Jay hyung?" I asked her.
  She nodded. "We were in the same clique, same crew."
  "Was he your ex boyfriend or something? Or maybe he likes you?" I asked.
  She half smiled. "I don't think he likes me. We joked, we flirted, but I don't think he has real feelings for me. We were all like that during high school."
  I nodded. But secretly, I felt relieved. I told myself that I felt relieved for Gi Kwang. Not me.
  "He was talking about Lucas just now, wasn't he?"
  She nodded again. "Jay was there the night...." She didn't finish it.
  "What's code 13?" I asked her.
  She smiled sheepishly. "It's a secret code my father made up for the mob."
  I frowned. "Why do you guys need a secret code?"
  "Being in a mob isn't an easy job, Yoseobie. There's too many enemies, too many people trying to bring you down. Squinting at your every move. Hacking into your emails, putting devices in your phones to spy on you. My father solved that by making secret codes for us to pass messages without giving away the details."
  I frowned. "Jay hyung is in on all this mob thing too?"
  "Some of my friend's family in high school are family friends. Their parents either work for my father or they do business with my father. Jay's father is my father's bestfriend. So sometimes my father would make me, Lucas, Jay and my other friends take over a business. The codes are to either pass messages or warnings about business. We'll text the codes or tell them straight."
  "So what does code 13 means?"
  She hesitated to tell me, but then she said, "What the hell. I'm not doing that damn thing anymore." She turned to me. "Code 13 means can't talk about it in public or through text. Once any of us said that, we'll have to stop asking and quickly change topic. Like, for example, there's code 24, which means there's something urgent we need to discuss straight away. So if I need to discuss something with Jay, I'll text him code 24 and 13. He needn't reply my text or ask anything. He'll know to meet up at the usual place straight away."
  "Oh, wow. That's so cool."
  "It's one of the cool things about this stupid job," Lia muttered.
  Min squealed suddenly. We glanced back at her. She was talking to one of the coordi noona. We watched her. The noona said something, and Min squealed again. She hooked her arm around Gi Kwang's.
  When L looked away, I saw the pain in her eyes.
  I placed my hand around her shoulders protectively. "Let's get out of here."
  I led her to the door and she willingly followed.


  +Min+
  "Ya, Garfield, Yoseob. Where are you guys going?" Gi Kwang-oppa asked Yoseob-oppa and Lia.
  "Garfield?" I said, puzzled. Was he calling Lia Garfield?
  Yoseob turned around, "We're getting some air."
  Gi Kwang-oppa detached himself from me. I wanted to protest but he was already striding towards them. He stood in front of Yoseob-oppa and Lia. 
  He suddenly reached out and gripped Lia's wrist. "Andwae. I need to talk to Garfield."
  Wait, why was he holding onto Lia? And why did he keep calling her Garfield?
  I watched Lia and Gi Kwang-oppa glared into each others eyes, and suddenly felt jealous. The way they were looking at each other, I just got this... this feeling. That they had history together.
  "Let go of me," Lia said quietly. She twisted her wrist slowly, but Gi Kwang-oppa wouldn't let go. Why wouldn't he let go? What did he want from her?
  "You're coming with me," he told her, and then jerked her forward.
  Lia jolted to the front but then she digged her heels into the ground and halted their escape.
  "Where are you taking me?" She asked him.
  "Just follow me." He pulled again but this time she didn't budge.
  "Sireo."
  "I said follow me. You're my—" he stopped. His eyes flickered at me. "Just follow me." This time he pulled her hard, dragging her out.
  She protested but couldn't fight him. I wanted to protest myself. I saw Yoseob-oppa started forward, wanting to help her. But Doojoon-oppa placed a hand on his shoulder, holding him back. He murmured something to Yoseob-oppa, and Yoseob-oppa clenched his fists tight.
  I looked back at where Gi Kwang-oppa and Lia had been struggling, my mind whirling. Why did I feel like there was something going on between Gi Kwang-oppa and Lia? And why did he keep calling her Garfield?
  Wait, Garfield!
  I glanced around to find someone, and decided Dongwoon looked innocent enough.
  I went to him. "Dongwoon-ah, can I ask you something?"
  He looked at me blankly. "Oh. What is it?"
  "What are the names of Beast's cats?"
  He frowned a little, confused. Then his eyes shone with understanding. "Oh, you mean Garfield and Kwangie?"
  "Ah! Garfield and Kwangie. Those are their names, right?"
  He nodded. "Oh. Waeyo?"
  "Nothing. I just forgot."
  I walked slowly away, thinking. Garfield... Gi Kwang-oppa called Lia Garfield. Kwangie... stood for Kwang, as in Gi Kwang? That must be it.
  Why would those two cats be named after Lia and Gi Kwang-oppa? Unless...
  Suddenly, my mind flashed back to the day I visited Gi Kwang-oppa at his apartment. In Lia's kitchen, Gi Kwang-oppa searched for his energy drink. I wondered at that time why his energy drink would be in Lia's fridge. Lia explained and I just accepted without any second thoughts. But now, after I thought about it again, there must be something going on between Lia and Gi Kwang-oppa. It would certainly explain why Gi Kwang-oppa got so angry whenever I said that Lia was with this or that guy. It would also explain what happened just now too.
  "I like someone else, Min-ah. I don't like you anymore."
  That someone else Gi Kwang-oppa liked.... was Lia?
  I felt betrayed. So betrayed by Lia that my eyes watered. How could she steal Gi Kwang-oppa from me? I thought we were friends.
  "Min-ah. Oh! Ya, are you crying?" Junhyung-oppa asked me.
  I covered my face and ran out of the room.


 >Lia<
  My wrist hurt a little. The grip Gi Kwang-goon had on me was too tight. He dragged me along the hallway. I could have pulled my wrist free, but that would involve me kicking Gi Kwang's , and I didn't think that would be a proper wife behavior.
  "Ya! Where are you taking me?" I asked again.
  "Just shut up and follow me," he snapped.
  He kept stomping around the hallway randomly. I think he had no idea where he wanted to go.
  Finally, after walking what felt like forever, he stopped. He looked at a small door on the right and opened it. It wasn't lock. He pushed me in and slammed the door behind him. I looked around. We were in a janitor's closet. Broom sticks and mops were stashed at the corner of the room.
  I turned to Gi Kwang. "We walked for so long just to come here?"
  He didn't answer. Instead, he came onto me. I moved back and he kept coming. My back hit something hard, a wall. I couldn't go anywhere else, but he kept coming. My eyes widened.
  He smacked his hands on either side of my head on the wall behind me. My breath caught in my throat. He stared at my face for a moment. We were only a few millimeters apart. Then, to my utmost surprise, he leaned in and placed his cheek beside mine. His skin was so smooth, like a baby's. I felt rather than saw him breathed me in. My body started trembling, and I grasped the side of my shirt.
  Whoa.
  "Does it make sense that my wife kissed some other guy?" Gi Kwang-goon murmured close to my ear, his voice deep and y.
  I took in a shaky breath.
  He pressed himself closer to me. "Does it make sense, Lia? Answer me."
  "I didn't do anything wrong," I said, my voice strained.
  He kind of rubbed his cheek against mine, similar to how Kwangie would rub his head against my leg. I swallowed hard and felt a tingling sensation on my cheek. And then, without lifting his face off mine, his head moved to the front and his forehead pressed against mine.
  "Why is it so easy for you to give away your kisses to other guys but not me?" One of his hand cupped my cheek. "How could you give your kisses to other guys other than me? How could you, Lia?"
  My anger flared up and I shoved him away from me hard. He was caught off guard, stumbling backwards.
  "How could I give my kisses to other guys? How could you kiss another girl right after you kissed me?"
  He stared at me. "That was a misunderstanding."
  "What?" I cried in disbelieve. "A misunderstanding? That's all you can give me? A freaking misunderstanding?" I ran my hand through my hair frustratingly.
  "It is a freaking misunderstanding!"
  "Min being your girlfriend is a misunderstanding too?"
  "What about you, uh? You have a guy's name tatooed at your back, you kissed Jay park in front of the kids—"
  "It was only on the cheek! Unlike you. And Jay is my old buddy."
  "That is not en excuse to kiss him!"
  I gritted my teeth. "Why would you care, anyway? You have a girlfriend. Why bother with me?"
  He stared at me for a moment. I waited impatiently for his answer.
  "Because, you're my wife."
  My heart fell. "I'm getting sick and tired of that term. 'I'm your husband. You're my wife.' You keep using that against me. There's just so many times I could be manipulated, Gi Kwang. One day, it might be too much. I might not tolerate it anymore."
  His face changed. I couldn't read it exactly.
  "What are you going to do if that day comes?" He asked me slowly.
  I shook my head. "I don't know. Leave you, probably. Get a divorce. Go back to my old life."
  He stared wide-eyed at me without saying anything. I think he was stunned. I left him all alone in that small close up room, stunned into silence.