Chapter 26

My husband, the babokwang!

  >Lia<
  "You're serious?" Jay asked.
  I nodded.
  "Freaking serious?"
  I nodded again.
  "Oh. Wow. I'm.... speechless."
  I stirred my coffee without answering. Coffee... Gi Kwang-goon liked espresso coffee. And I liked intense lungo coffee. That was why we never used the coffeemaker together to make two at the same time.
  I sighed. Every little thing I did reminded me of him.
  "So, what? You're getting a divorce now?" Jay asked me.
  I nodded. "He doesn't return my feelings and he has a girlfriend. So I'm not going to get stuck to him."
  He shook his head. "You were never the commitment type. Come to think of it, you've never been in a serious relationship before, have you?"
  "What'd you mean? You and I, we weren't serious enough?" I joked.
  He looked at me sideways, his eyes glinting. He must be remembering the night we made out. Back during high school, when I used to drink during a party, I would makeout with some guy just to fool around. Jay was one. But I had clearly told all the guys that just because we kissed didn't mean we were dating.
  Don't judge. I was sixteen.
  "We were too serious, princess. Too intense," He teased.
  I smirked. "All the more fun."
  He laughed. "Okay, okay. Let's get serious here. You've never been commited to someone. And you've never fallen in love before."
  I stared hard at him. "You missed out what happened last two years."
  He waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. "That wasn't love. That was obsession."
  I sat back in my seat and looked up at the cafe's ceiling. "I guess it was an obsession."
  "But," Jay said. He was watching me closely. "You've fallen in love now. You're in love with Lee Gi Kwang. Your first love."
  It sounded too cheesy for me so I joked, "Oh, come on now, Jay. My first love will always be you."
  "Oh, I know, Princess. I will always be your one and only." He touched his chest where his heart was with both hands and gave me a dreamy look.
  I laughed and then sighed. "I guess I am in love with him. And look how ridiculous my life is. I've never fallen for one, but when I did, he doesn't feel the same way. Pathetic!"
  "I don't know what he's thinking. I mean, who wouldn't want a wife like you." Jay checked me out from top to bottom. "I'd want you if I was force to marry you. No, wait. Why wait for forcing when we can just get married on our own." He looked at me. "Let's go to vegas and get married now!"
  "Where would you hide me from your fanatic fans, Oh-king of B-boy?"
  "I'm not the king of B-boy."
  The joking atmosphere fell short, and we fell into sad, painful silence. Both of us trying to sort out our feelings.
  Lucas was the King of B-boy and freestyle. I told you he loved dancing. We had a freestyle competition and B-boying competition back during high school. Both, Lucas won. People called him DM: dancing machine.
  "Speaking of which," Jay broke the silence. "Where are you staying now?"
  "I rent a room." And I told him my full address.
  Behind Jay, at the ceiling where they hung a television, a concert somewhere in Korea was being played. I looked up, and saw Beast, singing and dancing. Gi Kwang-goon looked as per usual.
  Jay saw the look on my face and turned around to look at the screen. Then he turned back to me. "It big time to have an artist for a husband doesn't it? It's hard to forget him because where ever you are, you'll see him on tv."


 •Gi Kwang•
  It had been three weeks, nine hours, fourteenth minutes and five seconds since Lia left, and the whole in my heart was getting bigger and bigger. I didn't know how much I loved her until now.
  Everyday, I would wake up and search for her, then remembered that she was gone and it would hurt all over again.
  Luckily, Beast was having a break now. So, we wouldn't have variety shows or talk shows to go to, where I had to fake a smile and look alive when actually I felt dead inside. There were a few occasions where we had to perform our songs, but that was alright. Some of our songs were kind of related to the situation I was in, and I would sing it to Lia. I would imagine that Lia was listening to me. And when she heard and saw how much I was hurting, she would come back. She had to come back. I couldn't live without her.
  Four weeks passed. Five weeks. Six weeks. And she never came back. My heart was bleeding slowly and painfully to death.


°Yoseob°
  "Pabo Gi Kwang. He didn't try to stop her. But now he act all gloomy and sad. Who does he think he is?" I muttered to myself.
  "Ya, Yoseob ah. Don't be like that. He's your member and your brother, remember?" Doojoon heard me.
  "A stupid idiot, that's what he is. A pabo."
  He shook his head at me.
  "Where's Gi Kwang now?" Hyun Seung asked. Garfield was sitting on his lap, purring as he pat her.
  Somehow, when Lia and Gi Kwang seperated, Garfield and Kwangie got seperated too. Garfield was with us, and Kwangie wasn't around. We assumed that, that kitten had followed Lia.
  "Na molla."
  "Gi Kwang-hyung went out again tonight," Dongwoon told us.
  "Getting drunk again?" Junhyung asked.
  He shrugged.
  After a month since Lia left, Gi Kwang started going to a pub every night to have a drink. He'd drink too much and then became drunk. Manager hyung had to always send him home in that state.
  "Aigoo... that pabo. We better go and find him now. Manager hyung said if he kept this up, he'll tell the president," Doojoon said.
  We went out in search for him. We found him in the same pub that Gi Kwang went every night. But this time, he wasn't just drunk, he was in a brawl.
  The pub was turning up side down because of the fight. Every men in there were fighting, randomly beating each other up. Gi Kwang was beating and getting beaten himself.
  "Argh, sinja!" Doojoon cried. "What the hell is he thinking?"
  We sneaked around the pub to him, trying to not get involve. When we reached him, the five of us grabbed him and dragged him out of the pub in seconds.
  We shoved him into the wall in an alley way behind the pub, out of sight of the streets.
  "Ya! If you wanted to get beaten up, you don't have to go far. Just tell us and we are more than willing to beat you up!" Junhyung shouted at him.
  Gi Kwang wiped off a blood that was tickling down his lips and said nothing, just stared out to the distance. He looked majorly messed up.
  "Gi Kwang-ah, what are you doing to yourself?" Doojoon asked, exasperated.
  Something snapped inside me. "He's messing himself up, that's what he's doing," I spat. "You treated her like , you cheated on her, you didn't do anything to stop her from leaving, and now you want to be like this? You're pathetic! You don't even try to find her! How stupid can you be?"
  Dongwoon placed a hand on my shoulder to hold me back. "Hyung."
  "Gi Kwang-ah, if you love her, find her and bring her back. You have to atleast try," Doojoon said. "You love her don't you? I know you do."
  "Ya, how can he love Lia, when he's dating Min?" Hyun Seung said. He made a good point.
  Gi Kwang spat blood out of his mouth and slurred, "I'm not... not dating Min."
  "You're lying!" I shouted.
  "Noooo. I'm not. Min likesss mee. Ssshe has this delusssion that we're datingg. I told herr.... I don-don't like herr, but she wouldn't listen. That kid wouldn't lissssten!" He cried drunkenly. "That kisssss you saw outside the apartment, wasss nothing. She kissed meee... I pushed her awaaaay." He laughed. "I pussshed her awaaaay! I wanted to explaaaaain but neither of you asssssholesss gave me the chaaaance."
  Come to think of it, we did not listen to what he had got to say. We just assumed what Min said was true, without listening to Gi Kwang's side of the story.
  "If that's the case, then go find Lia!" Hyun Seung cried. "Instead of mopping around, go and do something to get her back."
  Gi Kwang sneered. "What's the use? She doesn't likeeee me. Even if I found her, she won't come baaaack."
  "She does like you, you idiot! Do you know how much she was hurting when she found out about you and Min?" I told him harshly.
  He snorted without humour. "She doessssn't like me. She hasss a boyfriend, remember? Luuuu.. Luucas. She's probably having funnnn with him right noooooww."
  I stared at him, bewildered. "Ya, you don't know about Lucas?"
  "What'sss there to knooow?" He slurred.
  "You didn't ask her who's Lucas?"
  "How many timessss must I tell you? Lucasss is her boy...friend. Under, stand?"
  I grabbed the front of his shirt and screamed in his face. "Pabo! Pabo! Pabo! You stupid idiot ! Pabo!"
  The kids were frantically trying to pry me off Gi Kwang. Gi Kwang was staring drunkenly at me as I shook him hard.
  "Lucas was her brother, you stupid pabo! Her dead twin brother!" I shoved him hard to the wall, my chest heaving.
  He knocked against the wall and fell down.
  "Mworago?!" Doojoon, Junhyung, Hyun Seung and Dongwoon exclaimed.


 •Gi Kwang•
  I wanted to find her. Now that Yoseob had told me everything, I wanted to find Lia and bring her back. The kids said they would help.
  We went to her office first, but she wasn't there. They said she wasn't working from the office now. She worked from home. I called her Keomonim and Sahnchom. Lia had told them that she wanted a divorce and they were upset. I asked if they knew where she was. They didn't. She wouldn't tell them where she was living now, afraid that they might tell me.
  My abeonim and eomoenim called me when they heard about the divorce. They scolded me for not taking a good care of Lia. And I accepted their scoldings, because I too, thought that I didn't take a good care of her.
  "Anything?" Doojoon asked me that day in the dressing room.
  I shook my head sadly.
  "Keep trying, Gi Kwang-ah," Junhyung encouraged.
  "We'll find her, somehow," Hyun Seung added.
  "We won't give up until we find her, hyung," Dongwoon said.
  "Kumawo, kids. I really appreciate your help and support," I told them. 
  "We're family, Gi Kwang-ah. We'll go through this together," Yoseob answered.
  I rubbed my face with both hands. "I don't know where else to find her."
  They didn't answer. Dongwoon placed his hand on my shoulder.
  Yoseob suddenly jumped up from where he sat. "Jay hyung!"
  Jay had just passed by our dressing room. Yoseob ran after him. We followed him.
  "Jay hyung!"
  Jay turned around to us. "Oh, Yoseob-ah. Beast. Waeyo?"
  "Hyung, can you help us?" Yoseob asked him.
  Then did I understand why Yoseob had chased after Jay.
  "Sure. If I could, then I would," Jay replied.
  I stepped forward. "Will you tell me where Lia is now?"
  He stared at me. "Why would you want to see Lia?"
  Should I tell him that Lia was my wife? I passed a look with the kids, wondering what they thought I should say.
  Jay caught the looks. "Look," he said. "Lia told me everything already."
  I was surprised. "She did?"
  "Yeah. She told me you're her husband, right?"
  I nodded. "Do you know where she's staying hyung?"
  "I'm sorry, but Lia doesn't want to see you, Gi Kwang."
  "But do you know where she's staying?"
  He pressed his lips together.
  "I know you do. Please, hyung. Help me hyung. Tell me where she is," I pleaded.
  "Why would you want to know? You hurt her, you threw her away like that. Why would you want to see her now?"
  I looked straight into his eyes and said, "I want her back."
  "You want her back," He said, deadpanned.
  "Yes, I want her back. Please, hyung. I love her."
  He was angry now. "You love her? You love her? If you love her, you wouldn't treat her like that. If you love her, you wouldn't cheat on her. If you love her you wouldn't let her go!"
  Doojoon stepped in. "Jay hyung, there are some misunderstandings here. We admit, Gi Kwang might not have treated her right, and he let her go. But he didn't cheat on her." He told Jay about Min and Lucas.
  Jay gazed at me then. "Is your nickname pabokwang?"
  "What?" I asked, confused.
  "You shouldn't have let her go, pabokwang. And you should have told her the truth about Min. I bet if this was a movie, the viewers are cursing you right now."
  The kids snickered at me. Bastards.
  "But, Lia was at fault too, for not telling you about Lucas." He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "Princess is going to kill me when she finds out that I told you where she's staying."


  >Lia<
  Beast called and texted me a lot of times, especially Yoseobie. But I never replied or picked up the phone. Gi Kwang-goon called once. I never picked up either. I didn't want to be involve with them anymore. I just wanted to forget the six months I had with them. It hurt to remember.
  "Kwangie, kaja. Let's go for a night stroll." I opened the main door and let the kitten out.
  When I looked up, my heartbeat stopped. I couldn't quite breathe. Gi Kwang stood at the driveway, staring at me. I stared back. I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or Gi Kwang was really there. If he was really there, how did he know I was here?
  Jay. Who else would know I was here? It couldn't be Yonghwa hyung. He didn't know that my husband was Gi Kwang. And vice versa. Jay was soooo going to get it from me.
  After what felt like forever, he said, "Can we talk?"
  "I... I was just about to go for a walk."
  "I'll accompany you."
  We walked in total silence. When we went up the overhead bridge, I stopped walking. There was a lot of wind up here. Below us, cars were speeding on a highway. I gazed out at the horizon.
  Gi Kwang-goon stood beside me. "You broke your promise, Lia. You promised you wouldn't leave me."
  I let out a small breath. "You broke your promise too. You promised to give me a happily ever after."
  He was quiet for a moment. And then said, "We both did our fair share of breaking promises."
  "Yeah, we did."
  Silence.
  Then, "I'm not dating Min, Lia-ah."
  "But Min said—"
  "She was lying. She likes me, you see."
  "But, the kiss—"
  "She kissed me, but I pushed her away. And, I know about Lucas. That he was your brother."
  I frowned at him.
  "Yoseob told me."
  Oh.

 "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you."
  Silence again. I didn't know what to say to him. Should I tell him that I missed him? So much that I thought of coming back? Or that I loved him so much and that was why it hurt a lot?
  He took in a sharp breath. "Lia." His voice sounded strained, pained. "Can we start over?"
  My heart skipped a beat. I closed my eyes.
  "Let's start over, Lia. Please? I'll treat you better this time, treat you right. I want to fulfill my promise. I want to give you a happily ever after. I want us to be real, Lia-ah. Be a real couple." He was pleading. "We can make this work, Lia. I believe we can. We just have to give it a try, give us a second chance. Please, Lia? I really want to be with you."
  "It's too late, Gi Kwang." I opened my eyes and looked at him. Even though it hurt, I repeated, "You're too late."
  He looked at me wide-eyed. "Why?"
  I placed a hand over my heart. "My heart hurts so bad, Gi Kwang. You, hurt me so bad."
  "But, I-I didn't cheat on you!"
  "I know. But that does not mean it didn't hurt."
  He took a step towards me, eyes pleading. "I'm sorry I hurt you. I'm really sorry, Lia."
  I shook my head sadly at him. "Sorry won't cut it, Gi Kwang. Your sorry can't heal my wounds."
  "Give me a chance to heal it. Give me a second chance. I promise I won't waste it."
  "It's not that easy. I'm sorry, Gi Kwang." I turned and walked away.
  "Lia, please!" He cried.
  With every step I took, the wound in my heart grew bigger and bigger.
  "I missed you!" He shouted. "I missed you so bad, I thought I could die!"
  I almost stopped walking. My heart ached and I clenched my chest. I was one step away from the stairs.
  "I love you, Lia! Do you hear me? I love you, damn it!"
  I felt like a lightning had struck me. My feet halted. I couldn't believe what he had just said. I wanted so bad to turn back and ran into his arms. Tell him I loved him too. But, like I said, it wasn't that easy.
  I turned around and said, "You should have told me that before."
  I walked away.