Chapter 31

My husband, the babokwang!

   °Yoseob°
  Landing took forever. I almost strangled the pilot for taking his own sweet time. When we stepped out of the immigration, Gi Kwang immediately announced that he was going straight to the hospital. If Manager-hyung wouldn't send him right now, he would grab a cab.
  "Kaji-Kaji, hyung," Dongwoon said.
  So all of us, including manager-hyung, went to the hospital together straight from the airport.
  "I don't have the patience to wait for you to park the van, hyung. Drop me of at the entrance," Gi Kwang said flatly.
  When we heard the news about Lia, strangely enough, Gi Kwang didn't cry. I cried horribly. I couldn't take it. I was a sensitive person, you know. I could see intense emotions swirling in his eyes, but he was holding them back. He wouldn't talk to us, wouldn't listen to us. He went into isolation mode. He pulled himself away from us. And that made us very worried. He was always the type that cried by himself. He wouldn't let anyone see him cry. But if he was upset about something, he would confide in us. This time though, he didn't even look at us.

  Manager-hyung dropped us off at the entrance of the hospital and we rushed inside with Gi Kwang leading the way. We went up to the seventh floor then turned a few corners before finding Lia's Keomonim, Sahnchom and her cousin with Gi Kwang's Eomeonim and Abeonim at a row of seats. I could tell that Lia's relatives had been crying. Their eyes were puffy and red. Gi Kwang's eomeonim was still crying.
  When they saw us coming, Gi Kwang's Eomeonim stood up, lips trembling as she opened her arms for Gi Kwang. His defenses broke down completely then, and he ran into her arms as if he was a child again. They held each other tight. Gi Kwang finally let out a loud, heart wrenching sob. I had never seen him cry this hard before. Not even when Lia left him. Eomeonim started wailing and Abeonim cried silently as he placed a comforting hand on his son. The picture of a family in grief broke my heart and tears flowed down my cheeks.
  The kids started crying too, and we fell into a group hug. Every single one there shed tears of grief and pain for Lia.
  I didn't understand how this could have happened. It wasn't fair to Gi Kwang and Lia. It shouldn't have happened. Why, god?


   •Gi Kwang•
  "The doctor said she's in critical condition," Lia's Sahnchom told us after the hugs and tears dried up.
  "How critical?" Yoseob asked.
  "She lost a lot of blood. The same guy who sent her to the hospital donated his blood to her. She has a concussion, dislocated shoulder, internal bleedings, twisted ankle and—" he paused uncertaintly.
  "And what?" I demanded.
  Sahnchom put his hand on my shoulder. "Miscarriage."
  I stared at him in disbelief for a minute. "What?"
  "She was one month pregnant, Gi Kwang-ah. The accident killed the still growing fetus."
  She was one month pregnant... one month pregnant... one month pregnant...
  My body turned hot then cold repeatedly. My world spun around me. It was hard to breathe. I felt my legs gave out under me. Someone caught me and gently put me down on the chair.
  "No... Noo.... No..." Why didn't I figure it out? Why was I so stupid? It made sense now. Her unusual eating desires. And her mood swings. It was so clearly there. Why didn't I see it?
  I buried my face in my hands. Lia... Why didn't you tell me? I wouldn't have left for Japan. And our baby... oh god.
  "What else did the doctor say?" Junhyung asked. I realized he was the one who had caught me.
  "We have to wait for her to wake up. And looking at her brain injury, she'd probably have amnesia."
  "She's in a coma?" Hyun Seung asked in dismay.
  "Looks like it. She should have woken up an hour ago."
  I looked up. "Can I see her now?"
  Sahnchom looked at his watch. "It's still visiting hours. I'll show you to her room."
  "We want to go too," Yoseob interjected.
  "Only two people can go into her room at a time. Who's going?"
  Yoseob put up his hand. "I'll go with Gi Kwang."
  Sahnchom led us to Lia's room. I wasn't sure I was ready to look at her in that state. I promised her that I would protect her and wouldn't let anything hurt her. But look at what happened? I was the worst husband on earth.
  I took a deep breath before opening the door. Yoseob's presence behind me comforted me. My eyes found Lia's face instantly once I stepped inside. My heart ripped out bare. How could I let the love of my life go through this? Why wasn't I there to save her?
  Her face was swollen. Her head, arms and feet were bandaged. She looked terribly in pain.
  Yoseob was already crying silently. Slowly, without taking my eyes off her, I went to sit beside her bed where a chair was readily placed. My fingers found hers and I gripped them tight.
  "Lia," I choked. My heart ached so bad, I was surprised it didn't stop beating and die. "Lia, can you hear me? I'm here. Gi Kwang's here." Tears were at the brim of my eyes. "You have to wake up, Lia. You have to wake up. For me." I stared at her face, as if I was waiting for her to reply. My emotions became too overwhelming and I blurted, "Why didn't you tell me you were pregnant, Lia? Why?!" I was so angry. Angry at Lia for letting me go, for not telling me about the baby, angry at myself. Angry at the event that had to happen at Japan. Hot, angry tears poured over smoothly and my shoulders shook. "You should have told me! I wouldn't have left!"
  "Gi Kwang..." Yoseob whispered, his voice cracking.
  It felt like my world was falling apart. My candle had burned out and I was left all alone and cold in the dark. It felt like the world ran out of air, and I couldn't breathe. I was lost without Lia. I was nothing without her.
  "Why did you make me go? Why, Garfield? Why?!" I held her hand in both of mine and placed it to my wet face. "You can't leave me, Lia. You promised you wouldn't leave me! You have to keep your promise!"
  I was sobbing uncontrollable. I didn't care that Yoseob was behind me. All I knew was that my heart was in two and I wanted Lia to hear me.
  "I love you, Lia! You can't leave me."


   >Lia<
  I opened my eyes and saw white. Lying on my side on a hard floor, I waited for my eyes to adjust to the brightness, but nothing happened. I couldn't see a thing but white. I felt for my arms and legs. They were there, nice and clean, and real. I looked down at what I was wearing. A white shirt and pants. White again. Everything was white here.
  I felt a movement at my back. I rolled over to see who was behind me. I must be dreaming, because Lucas sat there with his knees pulled up to his chest, wearing the same white shirt and pants I was wearing. He was watching me with a tender look in his eyes.
  "Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked him softly.
  He shrugged and gave me a soft half smile. "I just still can't believe I have a twin sister like you."
  "You mean, you can't believe you have such beautiful and amazing twin sister?" I joked, grinning.
  He rolled his eyes. "No. I can't believe I have such stubborn and bull headed twin sister."
  "Idiot," I shot at him.
  He chuckled and tousled my hair affectionately. I stared up at him in wonder, but then my heart started stinging.
  "Why did you leave me, twin?"
  He gazed down at me. "I never left you. I've always been by your side all this time. I'm watching over you, twin."
  My eyes watered. "Are you happy?"
  "I am."
  "Good," I whispered. "Are you with mum?"
  He nodded. "She's happy too."
  "Where is she? I want to see her."
  "She's not here. There are only you and me here."
  "I miss you." A tear escaped from my eye. "I miss mum."
  "We miss you too," he whispered. "I wish I could be there with you. Protect you. I wish I was alive again."
  "I wish that too." Tears were fully flowing down now. "I missed you so bad, I wanted to die just to see you again."
  He lifted me onto his lap and held me close. Then, he started rocking us in his familiar rhythm. A sob escaped from me.
  "I'm sorry, twin. I didn't want to leave you," he murmured near my head. "I love you, twin. Mum loves you. We want you to be happy. Please don't cry."
  "I want to join you and mum. I don't want to be alone anymore. Do you know how alone I felt without you? We used to do everything together. But now..."
  "You are never alone, twin. Gi Kwang is with you."
  I was startled when Lucas said his name. That name never even crossed my mind before now.
  I pulled back and looked into his tear filled eyes. "Gi Kwang-goon?"
  He smiled and nodded. "Gi Kwang-goon. He loves you more than you can ever imagine."
  I stared into space, trying to remember Gi Kwang's face. For some reason, I couldn't remember. But I remembered his eyes. Eyes that was full of love. Love for me.
  "He loves me," I whispered.
  Lucas wiped my tears away. But it was wasting his energy, because fresh new tears started spilling over.
  "Yes, twin. He loves you. He loves you very much." He smiled a little. "Not only him, but Jay and the others too. They love you. You shouldn't push them away, Lia. They can help you."
  "I don't want help. I want you back."
  He pinched my nose gently. "You'll be fine, Lia. You'll be happy without me."
  I shook my head frantically in disagreement.
  "Do you love Gi Kwang?" He asked suddenly.
  I didn't even think about it. My head nodded on its own.
  "Do you want to be with him?"
  I hesitated, but then nodded.
  Lucas smiled. "If two people love each other, won't they live happily ever after?"
  I stared hard at him. "You know me best, twin. You know I don't believe in happily ever after. There are just too many s in this world."
  "I'm telling you to believe it now. You will get it, Lia. Someday. You just have to be patient and fight for what you want."
  "What if I'm tired of fighting?" I asked in a small voice.
  He looked at me sadly. "Don't regret it if you don't get what you want.."


   ו•••••×
  I sipped the coffee and watched the sunset, my fingers playing with the bandage on my arm. I didn't know my and Lia's blood type were the same. Hmm...
  The park right outside the hospital was full of people and patients, even when the night was coming fast. I sipped my coffee again and waited patiently for news. I was a very patient person. Waiting was my specialty. I would always get what I want just by waiting.
  Brook lumbered out of the hospital entrance and came towards me. He sat beside me on the fountain.
  Without looking at him, I asked, "So?"
  "She's in a coma. And probably won't remember anything once she wakes up."
  Hmm... Amnesia, uh?
  "Good," I murmured. I guess we could continue with the original plan. But I had to make sure she really couldn't remember. If she did remember, I would have to use plan B.
  Brook frowned at me. "Why would that be good, Boss?"
  I pushed my two thousand dollar sunglasses onto my head and looked at him. "Do you know why I didn't want to save her at first, Brook?"
  He shook his head.
  "I didn't want her to know I was following her. She shouldn't know that now. It's not the right time."
  "When will it be the right time, boss?"
  I smirked and looked up at the sky. "Soon enough, Brook. Soon enough."

 

To new subscribers, welcome aboard. To old subscribers, please do continue to read this. To all my lovely subscibers, please do comment. I'd like to know how my story is like to you guys. And lastly, thank you very much for reading and commenting. Enjoy~