Chapter 13

My husband, the babokwang!

#Yonghwa#

"Hyung, who are we jamming with again?" Jonghyun asked me.

"One really amazing musician."

"Ah, hyuuung. Don't be so mysterious. Who is he?"

"You'll see." I grinned and pushed the door open, my band mates right behind me.

Lia sat alone, tuning her guitar. She looked up when we came in. "Oh, hyung. Wassoa?"

"Oh. Have you been waiting long?"

"Not really."

I remembered the members then. "Oh, oh. Lia, these are my band mates." I introduce them one by one.

"Ya, ya, hyung. You didn't tell me it was a girl," Minhyuk hissed at me.

"Is that important?" I asked back innocently.

He widened his eyes at me, frustrated. I shooed him to the drumset.

I sat down beside Lia. "You've listened to our songs?"

She sat back in her seat and sighed. "Waaahh.. No 'How are you?' Or 'How's your week?' but go straight to your so called "assignment"."

I smirked. "Of course."

She shook her head, faking exasperation. Faking, because I could read amusement in her eyes. "Yeah, I've listened."

"Which one do you like?"

"There's many. Love revolution?"

I nodded. "That's one."

We agreed to jam on that, with Lia singing.

Two hours later, I drank up all the water in my water bottle. And I was still thirsty.

"Toilet break," Jungshin cried and flew out of the room.

"Na do!" Minhyuk said and flew out too.

Lia laughed, "How cute." She put down her electric guitar and picked up the acoustic guitar. Then started plugging the strings randomly. All the notes that she chose, were the notes you used for sad, hurting songs.

I watched her for a moment.

"Jonghyun, help buy me a drink," I said suddenly.

Lia looked up.

"Waeyo? Buy it yourself," Jonghyun said.

"Please? I'll treat you too."

He grumbled like a grandfather. "Okay. Fine."

The minute he was out, I turned to Lia. "What happened?"

She frowned at me. "What do you mean what happened?"

"Something's upsetting you. I know. Is it about your husband again?"

She shrugged. "He started it."

"Started what?"

She sighed. "Do I have to tell you?"

"Erm, yes? If that something is upsetting you then you have to tell me."

"He forced me to dance, when I clearly told him that I don't dance anymore."

"Why don't you dance anymore?" I asked.

She looked at me thoughtfully for a moment, before answering, "Someone I loved passed away five months ago. And he loved dancing."

"So you don't dance anymore because..."

"Because it hurts. It hurts too much to know that he won't ever be able to dance beside me again. That I won't ever feel his comforting presence ever again."

"So when your husband forced you to dance..."

"It brought back painful memories that I'd buried deep. It brought back the hurt, the pain."

"You're upset now not fully because of your husband but..."

"Because of the memories too, yes." She sighed. "You're good at digging out someone's secrets."

I shrugged non chalantly. "Oh, well. You know me."

She rolled her eyes.

I fell back into serious mode. "Will you tell me who this someone that passed away five months ago is to you?"

"If I tell you, you'll ask me how he died. And when I told him how he died, you'll want to know what we were doing and why. And then I'll have to tell you the story of my life." She wouldn't look at me.

"I have all day," I said.

She looked into my eyes and demanded. "Do you really want to know? Because sometimes, knowing too much might hurt you."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because once I told you about my life story, your view of me might change. You might not want to be friends with me anymore. You might be disgusted with me. You might hate me."

I was startled with what she said. "Come on," I said lightly. "It can't be that bad."

She looked away.

That, the look on her face. The way she wouldn't look at me. Made my decision.

I leaned close to her. "Tell me everything. Don't leave any details out."

When she was sure I was serious, she took a deep breath. "My father...."

 >Lia<

My relationship with Gi Kwang-goon seemed to be changing every now and then, not stable. Right now, we weren't as friendly. What Gi Kwang-goon had done had made a dent in our relationship. We still fought for the coffee maker every morning, and the remote control every night. But it felt awkward and stiff. There wasn't any small talk either. It felt like the first time he moved in here. But more awkward.

I hadn't forgiven him for what he did. But I wasn't going to give him a hard time about it. It was over, it was the past.

One night, it was so awkward between us that I took out my laptop and did my work instead of sitting beside him and watch tv. The awkwardness was suffocating me. And I think it was suffocating him too, because he got up and when next door to Beast's apartment.

•Gi Kwang•

She didn't ask how my day went anymore. And I didn't ask her what she liked. We'd changed. I didn't want this. I wanted how it used to be. I wanted our bickering to last so long that we would end up laughing. Instead of it abruptly stopped and the awkwardness came back.

"Gi Kwang-ah? Why did you sigh like that?" Hyun Seung asked me.

"Did you quarrel with Lia again?" Doojoon asked.

I sighed, pressed a button on the remote control and didn't answer.

"Beast?" Garfield's voice came from the front door.

All of us turned to look at the door.

"Oh, Lia. Come in," Junhyung called out.

She stopped short from the living room. She was wearing a long cardigen and jeans. Going out? Where to?

"I'm going out for awhile but I'm warming up the curry. Can anyone of you help me off the stove in fifteen minutes time?" She said.

"I'll help you," Dongwoon voluntered, raising his hand.

"It's so late, L. Where are you going at a time like this?" Yoseob asked her.

"I need to take something from my colleague. It's work stuff. Kumawo, Dongwoon." She turned and left.

Hyun Seung nudged my thigh with his leg. "Ya, Gi Kwang. You're not going to accompany her? It's already 11pm. It's dangerous for a girl to go out alone at a time like this."

"She's a big girl. She can take care of herself," I grumbled. I didn't want to go because the awkwardness was killing me.

"Then I'll go," Yoseob said, and ran out of the door.

Immediately, I regretted not going.

>Lia<

"What are you listening to?" Yoseobie pressed the button on the stereo and Beast song started playing. He flipped his hair coolly when the wind blew it into his eyes.

He grinned. "Did your cousin ask you to listen to our song this time too?"

I laughed as the traffic light turned green. "No. This time, I wanted to listen to it."

We listened for awhile in a comfortable silence.

And then Yoseobie asked, "What's going on between you and Gi Kwang?"

I glanced at him and asked back, "What's going on between me and Gi Kwang?"

"You guys used to be in good terms. He told us that you guys are friends now. So what's up with the vibe I'm getting off of you two? Gi Kwang is so sullen and quiet nowadays. And you, you don't smile a lot anymore."

"I don't know."

"Is it because of the concert two weeks ago?"

"It must be. Because it was since then that the awkwardness came."

He watched me for a moment. "Why don't you dance anymore, L? And why did it make you angry when Gi Kwang wanted you to dance?"

People kept asking me that same question lately.

I looked straight ahead. "I have my reasons ah, Yoseobie."

"Won't you tell me?"

I forced a smile and glanced at him again. "When the right time comes, I'll tell you, okay?"

He smiled a little and accepted what I gave him for now.

Yoseob started singing to the music then.

"I can rap, you know," I told him.

He laughed. "For real?"

"I'll rap Junhyung's part," I said. He sat up straighter and watched me in amusement.

When Junhyung's part came, I started rapping. But I couldn't finish most of the lines in one breath, and it turned out like I was drowning, gasping for air. Yoseobie laughed at me.

"Ya, ya. Stop." He laughed so hard that tears escaped from his eyes.

I laughed with him. "Waaahh, Junhyung daebak. He's a really good rapper."

"You can forget your dreams of becoming a rapper, L," Yoseob told me.

"," I said. He laughed.

And then the song Though I Called started playing.

I bounced in my seat. "My favorite song!"

He started bouncing in his seat too. And then we started singing together.

"Ah, L! You can be a singer. You have a beautiful voice," Yoseobie told me in between the song. "But not a rapper."

"But eottoke? I still want to be a rapper," I joked.

"Andwae, andwae. The world will turn upside down, inside out, when you rap."

"Ya! I don't rap that bad okay!"

"You do," he told me, laughing.

"Jerk!" I pinched his adorable cheek while the other hand still holding onto the steering wheel.

He swatted my hand away fast, surprising me. The car jerked to the side.

"Aaaaaaaaah!" Yoseobie screamed the whole time I tried to get the car back on the road. I got a good glimpse of him. His eyes were huge, his mouth open wide. It was freaking hilarious.

When the car was safely back on the right track, and Yoseobie stopped screaming, I couldn't stop laughing.

"You should have seen the look on your face," I told him in between laughter.

He glared at me. "Ya, you like it that much?"

I nodded. "I wish I could snap a picture of that look. Then I'll put it in the net."

"If you want to die young, go ahead and do it."

I shook my head at him. "You can't kill me. You need me. Beast needs me. You guys can't live without me."

He faked sighing. "You're right. Eottokaji? Hmm... Should Beast hire a new maid?"

"Ya, you can't replace me! Don't ever replace me," I told him sternly.

Yoseobie laughed. "Arasso, arasso, we won't ever replace you."