Chapter 20

My husband, the babokwang!

 *Doojoon*
  "Aniyo, president-nim. Junhyung is not cheating on Hara."
  "Then, they've broken up?"
  "Aniyo! Junhyung is still in a relationship with Hara."
  "So who's the girl in the picture?"
  Aigoo, these kids. When they got into trouble, I was the one who had to answer to the president of Cube entertainment.
  "That's Lia, president-nim. Gi Kwang's wife. Gi Kwang and Yoseob were supposed to be in the picture too, but they cropped them out," I explained carefully.
  Waah, this Junhyung. He didn't want to face the president, so he begged me to explain for him. He better not forget the deal we'd made!
  "And what is this about Gi Kwang having a cancer?"
  "Oh, that is just rumors, president-nim. Gi Kwang was just having a high fever last night."
  "Oh, arasso. So Junhyung is still with Hara and Gi Kwang doesn't have a cancer?"
  "Ne, president-nim."
  The president shook his head. "Doojoon-ah, take care of your dongsengs. Try to teach them to be careful. Don't let the media say bad things about Beast. And Gi Kwang's wife, all of you have to take care of her, understand? Also, if any of the member is dating someone from other girl groups, you have to tell me first, understand?"
  "Ne, president-nim."
  When I got into the van with manager-hyung to go home, Hyun Seung called.
  "Doojoon-ah! Keutnaso. Lia and Gi Kwang... Keutnaso. Our dinner... Keutnaso! We'll start eating ramen again."
  "Ah? Waeyo?"
  "Gi Kwang-ah... Gi Kwang-ah sinja gone crazy already."
  "Mwo? Ya, explain it properly!"
  "Gi Kwang is dating Min. Min Miss A."
  "Mworago?!"
  "Keutnaso. Keutnaso. Sinja keutnaso."
  "Are you sure, Hyun Seung?"
  "Of course I'm sure! Me, Yoseob and Lia saw them kissing in front of the apartment. If they're kissing, that means they must be dating right? Who would, in their right mind, kiss someone who isn't their boyfriend or girlfriend?"
  "Lia saw them kissing too? How is she taking it?" Argh! That pabo Gi Kwang! How could he hurt Lia like that? Did he not know that Lia liked him? Was he blind?
  "She smiled at them. Smile! She even invited Min for dinner! She wasn't angry at all. I'm the one who's so angry, and Gi Kwang isn't even my husband."
  Aigoo.... another problem? If the media found out about this, how was I to explain to the president now? Aigoo...


  >Lia<
  "How old are you, Lia?" Min asked me.
  "I'm twenty."
  "Oh, we're the same age!" She squealed. Yoseob rolled his eyes. "Are you korean? You don't look like one."
  "I'm half korean."
  "Can you speak english?"
  "Yes."
  Yoseob went to stand beside me on the sink. "Why are you entertaining her, L? She's so annoying. And she's not even helping us, just sit there and watch."
  We both turned to look at her. Min was sitting at the small dining table we have in the kitchen, drinking the cup of tea I had made for her.
  "She's our guest, Yoseob-ah. Of course she shouldn't help."
  "But we need help to cook the rice."
  I looked outside to the living room. "Hyun Seung-ah, will you help me?"
  He got up from the sofa and went into the kitchen. "Waeyo?"
  "Help me cook the rice, please? Dongwoon's not here. He's the one who usually cooks the rice."
  "Oh, arasso."
  "How long have you known Beast?" Min asked me.
  "Not long. I just moved in here five months ago."
  Gi Kwang-goon came into the apartment. He went straight to the kitchen.
  "Gi Kwang oppa!" Min called him. "Do you want tea?"
  "Sireo." He went to open the fridge. I wanted to grab something inside the fridge too, so I waited.
  Since he was taking too long— standing in front of the open fridge— I asked nicely. "What are you looking for?"
  "That energy drink I bought the last time," he said.
  "Move aside, I'll find it for you." He moved just a little and I squeezed in beside him.
  His bottle of energy drink was hidden behind. I took it and passed it to him. After that I grabbed the things I needed.
  "Why would Gi Kwang oppa's energy drink be in Lia's fridge?" Min asked dubiously.
  Gi Kwang, Yoseob and Hyun Seung froze. I froze just a second and then smiled at her.
  "Beast's fridge is full of the foods that fans gave to them. So some of the Beast members put their things in here," I explained.
  "Ooohh. It's like Beast have two homes." And then, suddenly, she started screaming and jumping out of her seat. She ran to Gi Kwang and hid behind him.
  "Waeyo? Waeyo?" Hyun Seung and Yoseobie asked.
  "Cats!" She cried, pointing to Garfield and Kwangie who had just jumped onto the table. "I hate cats!"
  Yoseobie laughed out right.
  Hyun Seung grumbled, "I thought a monster had came in or something."
  I suppressed a laugh and turned to Gi Kwang. "Take them out, will you?"
  He too, was trying hard not to laugh. "Garfield, Kwangie, kaja. I have some balls for you to play with." They followed him out.
  "Mwo? What are the names of the cats?" Min asked. Her chest was still heaving.
  "Garfield and Kwangie," I told her.
  "Whose cats are they?"
  I paused. Should I say it was mine or Gi Kwang's?
  "It's Beast's," Yoseobie answered before I could.
  During dinner, Doojoon, Junhyung and Dongwoon kept giving Gi Kwang and Min the evil eye. They just found out about his girlfriend and they weren't happy. It was so obvious Beast didn't like Min. They kept rolling their eyes at whatever she said, and sometimes replied her sarcastically. I knew they didn't like her for my sake, because she was with Gi Kwang, not because of her personality specifically. She sat beside Gi Kwang during dinner. She kept serving him food. I watched them secretly, a prickling in my heart.
  "Cha!" Doojoon clapped his hands once. "Since it's late, and we've finished dinner, Gi Kwang-ah, why don't you send Min home?"
  He stared at Doojoon for a second, then turned to Min. "How did you come here?"
  "My manager sent me."
  "Call your manager to bring you back."

 So he was mean to all the girls. Not just me.

  She looped her arms around his. "Don't be like that oppa. Send me home, please?" She pouted her lips.
  Hyun Seung and Junhyung made a face at each other.
  I took out my car keys from my pocket. "You can use my car." I threw it at him. He caught it in mid air.
  Min stood up, still holding onto Gi Kwang. "Ne. Kaja, oppa. Oh, Lia. For the food, kumawo. It's very delicious." And then she dragged him out.
  We watched them go silently.
  "Wahh... sinja. She got no manners," Junhyung said after they were gone. "She didn't even help to clean the table."
  I smacked his head with the back of a spoon. "I don't see you helping."
  He grinned guiltily.
  "I don't like her," Dongwoon said.
  I got up and started collecting the dishes on the table.
  Yoseobie's hand gripped my wrist. "L, Gwaenchana?"
  Beast looked at me. I forced a smile. "Gwaenchana." And then I added, "You shouldn't hate her just because she's with Gi Kwang. It's not her fault, you know. She doesn't know that he's married."
  Hyun Seung smacked his hand on the table. "So we should be angry at Gi Kwang!"
 "Should we beat him up for cheating on Lia?" Junhyung asked. 
  I shook my head at them. "Don't. Don't do anything, Beast-ah. Let me handle this."
   I carried the plates and went to the kitchen. Yoseobie followed me.
  "L. Mian. I'm really sorry that Gi Kwang is treating you like this."
  I put on a fake smile again before turning to face him. "Yoseob-ah, I already told you that I'm—"
  I was cut off because Yoseobie suddenly pulled me to him, holding me close. It caught me totally off guard.
  "I know you're not alright, Lia. I can see it in your eyes," he whispered to me. "You can cry, L. It's never wrong to cry."
  I let him held me for a moment, then pulled back and smiled. "I was taught since young to never cry over small matter, Yoseobie. This thing that's happening here, it's just a small thing. I'll get over it, somehow."
  He looked at me sadly. "What are you going to do about this?"
  I shrugged. "I have no idea. I'll think about it."

•Gi Kwang•

   "Lia, she's very pretty, isn't she?" Min said.

   "Hmm.." I turned the wheel.

  She chuckled a little. "I watched Beast and her cooked dinner— she was like the mother. She ordered you guys around and when you couldn't find what you want, she'd find it for you. It was cute. She's really cool too. There's just something about her. You can't help but like her."
  If only you knew that Lia is my wife, I thought. Would you have liked her then?
  "Keunde... Is there something going on between Yoseob and Lia?" I glanced at Min sharply. "I just got this vibe out of them."
  "Nothing's going on between them," I snapped.
  "But Yoseob likes her. I can see that. I don't know about Lia though." Her face turned thoughtful. "Lia is always smiling but truthfully, she's hiding her true feelings. She's the mysterious type. Only different. We can't figure out what she's feeling because she always smile. You don't know if she's sincerely happy or faking it."
  "She wasn't like that the last time," I said.
  Looking back to the first time I met Lia, I couldn't figure out what she was feeling then, because she was hiding her feelings too. Only in a different way. She put on a blank look.
  When we arrived at Min's place, I turned to her. "Min, I want you to stop lying to people that we are together. We are not together. And also, stop coming to my apartment."
  "Wae? Everyone thinks that we're together already. So why not we make it real?"
  "Everyone?" I asked.
  "Beast and Lia."
  I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. "I like someone else, Min-ah. I don't like you anymore."
  She stared at me for a very long moment. I waited for her to break down or for her to slap me, but neither came.
  Instead, she smiled brightly and said, "Thanks for sending me home, oppa! Drive safely back, okay? Call me when you've reached home. Saranghae." She gave me a peck on my cheek and quickly got out of the car.
  I watched her go and sighed. What was I going to do with this girl?
  When I got home, Lia was heading to her room from the kitchen.
  "Lia," I called out.
  She stopped walking, and remained like that for a moment, her back to me. And then she turned and smiled.
  "Don't worry, Gi Kwang-goon. I won't tell your girlfriend about this morning."
  "About that, the kiss—"
  She cut me off. "Was a mistake, I know. I will forget about it. Don't worry, Gi Kwang-ah. It'll be like nothing happened between us."
  The kiss...... was a mistake? Nothing happened between us?
  Something was wrong with my heart. It was making it hard for me to breathe.

  "Keurae?" My voice sounded weird too, small and weak.

  "I have a lot of work to do. I'll be in my room." She flashed me a smile again and then went into her room.