Chapter 27

My husband, the babokwang!

  +Min+
  Dongwoon let out the longest sigh in the universe when he saw me.
  "Not now, Min. Not this morning. Not today."
  "Waeyo? I want to see Gi Kwang-oppa."
  "He's not in a good state right now. Go home, Min."
  I went up on my toes to peer inside the apartment over Dongwoon's shoulders.
  "Min!" He snapped. "Go home."
  "I want to see—"
  "Hyung don't want to see you. He's not your boyfriend. So stop pretending."
  My heart fell. They knew already? Did Lia know too?
  "You knew?" I asked anyway. "Does Lia know too?"
  He frowned. "What does Lia got to do with this?"
  I stared at him as if he was stupid. "I know there's something going on between Gi Kwang-oppa and Lia."
  "How'd you know?"
  "I figured it out."
  "Ne, you're right. There was something going on between hyung and Lia. But because of you, there's nothing going on anymore. Because of you, hyung is hurting right now!"
  I stared at him, surprised. "What do you mean?"
  "Lia moved out of her apartment. And now, because of you, hyung is hurting because she doesn't want to see him anymore!"
  "Dongwoon-ah, who are you talking to?" A voice said from inside.
  Junhyung-oppa appeared. His eyes narrowed into slits when he saw me. "What do you want?" He didn't give me the chance to answer. "Do you know that because of you, our dinner now isn't delicious or healthy or fun anymore?"
  The rest of the Beast members except for Gi Kwang-oppa starting appearing at the door.
  Before they could say anything, I shouted, "I'm not going anywhere until I see Gi Kwang-oppa!"
  They sighed.
  "Gwaenchana, kids. Let me talk to her," Gi Kwang-oppa said from the very back. His voice sounded wrong.
  When they moved aside to let Gi Kwang-oppa through, I gasped when I saw oppa. His eyes were puffy and bloodshot. Dark circles under his eyes. Hair rumpled. He didn't bother to hide the fact that he had been crying. There were dried up tear streaks on his cheeks.
  "Oppa," I said weakly. I could see pain in his eyes. He looked so miserable. Oh, god. What had I done?
  "What do you want, Min?" He sounded so, so tired.
  "Oppa, waegerae? Why are you like this?"
  He snorted humorlessly. "What? You don't want me now that I look like this? I should have done this along time ago."
  "Do you like Lia that much, oppa?"
  He looked into my eyes and said with no mercy. "I love her."
  I felt like a knife had stabbed my heart. "Oppa."
  "It hurts doesn't it?" He asked. "I'm feeling that times another thousand right now."
  "Why her, oppa? Why not me?"
  He gazed at me sadly. "Do you believe in fate, Min?"
  "What do you mean?"
  "You and I, we are not meant to be, Min. Lia and I are meant for each other. We are fated to be together. She's the one, Min. My soul mate."
  Another stab to my heart.
  "One day, Min. One day, you'll find the one that's meant for you. Your soul mate. And that person won't be me," he told me gently.
  Tears started flowing down my cheeks.
  "Mian, Min."
  I wiped off the tears. "You love her so much, huh?"
  "More than anything else in the world. There won't be anybody else but her."
  I nodded. "Arasso."
  "Go home now, Min." He turned to go inside.
  "Wait, oppa. I want to ask you something."
  "What is it?"
  "Do you know where Lia is now?"
  He cocked his head to the side. "Waeyo?"
  "I need to apologize to her. And, before I leave you alone for good, oppa, I want to atleast help you get Lia back."
  He nodded and gave me her address.
  "Kumawo, Min. Even if your attempt to bring her back fail, I'm still grateful for your help. Maybe, we could be friends."
  I shook my head. "Ani, oppa. We can never be friends."
  He nodded. "I understand."


  I stood outside of the main gate in front of the two-storey house two hours later. This was where Lia was staying now. I pressed the doorbell. The door opened and an old lady appeared.
  "Annyeonghasaeyo. I'm sorry to disturb you, but is Park Lia here?"
  "Ne. Ne. Jamkamman."
  A minute later, Lia walked out of the door, looking as beautiful as ever. She didn't look messed up like Gi Kwang. But I could see the pain in her eyes. She tried to smile it away.
  "Min-ah! How did you find me?" She asked happily as she opened the locked gate.
  I felt even more guilty now. Even after what I did, she greeted me like I was her bestest friend in the world. Lia was a good person. Gi Kwang-oppa was a good person too. They deserved each other.
  I smiled at her. "It's a secret."
  She brought me to her room. It was just a small plain bedroom. A table at the corner of the room was covered with files, blueprints and plans. A single bed was right beside the bed. Lia gestured for me to sit on the bed.
  "I'm sorry. The room's so messy. I didn't know you were coming. And we can't really talk outside because I only rented this room."
  "Gwaenchana, Lia."
  She sat on the only chair available and faced me. "What brings you here, Min?"
  I looked down. "I came here to apologize for lying and for destroying your relationship with Gi Kwang-oppa."
  "You didn't destroy our relationship."
  I looked up at her sharply. "I did! I lied about being his girlfriend. And even after I knew about you and Gi Kwang-oppa, I lied about the... dinner and breakfast..."
  She smiled at me. "It's not your fault, Min. You didn't know at first. And I understand why you did what you did in Japan."
  I gazed at her, my eyes filling up with tears. Why must she be so cool?
  "You love him, Min. I understand that. And jealousy can make you do stupid stuff, I know. I have forgiven you a long time ago."
  My tears started pouring over. Lia being understanding instead of angry, made me feel even worse.

  "I'm so sorry, Lia," I sobbed. "You're such a good person. I shouldn't have done that to you. I'm so sorry."
  She came to sit beside me and put her arms around me. "Shh... Min. Don't cry. It's okay. It's not your fault. The one that is at the most fault here is Gi Kwang. For not telling me earlier about you."
  I looked at her, sniffling. "Don't blame him, Lia. Don't. He's hurting so much right now. If you see him now, you'll be so surprised at his drastic change in appearance. He's messed up."
  Lia looked away.
  "He loves you so much, Lia. He told me you are the one for him. You're his soul mate. That there wouldn't be anyone else but you. You shouldn't punish him anymore, Lia. You should go back to him."
  She sighed. "He's not the only one hurting, Min."
  "I hurt you, Lia. Not him. He didn't do anything. It wasn't his fault. Please, Lia. I don't want him to hurt anymore. I can't stand seeing him like that."
  "Min-ah... I don't know if I could."
  I looked into her eyes. "I know you love him, Lia. You love him very much. Would you let the person you love fall into the deepest pit, hurt himself and wouldn't rescue him? Let him bleed slowly to death? Would you, Lia?"
  Her eyes shone with unshed tears. "I'm bleeding to death myself, Min. How am I supposed to save him when I'm half dead too?"
  "Find the courage, Lia! Find the last strength and energy in yourself to save him. He couldn't save you because he's way down the pit. But you could, Lia. Even if you're dying, you still could save him because you're at the top."
  She stared out the window and didn't answer.
  I didn't know what else to do. So I faced her and went down on my knees.
  "Min!" She exclaimed, appalled.
  "Please, Lia," I begged, wiping away the tears that wouldn't stop flowing. "Please. I'm begging you. Don't punish my oppa anymore. If you want to punish someone, punish me."
  "Min." She tried to pull me up, but I wouldn't budge.
  "I won't lie to you, Lia. I wish the person he love is me and not you. But I love him, Lia. I want to see him happy. And he can only be happy if you are with him. So please, Lia. You know I'm serious because I'm down on my knees here, begging you to go back to him. Please, Lia."
  "Stand up, Min. Please. Don't do this." She pulled me up and this time I let her. She wiped away the tears on my cheeks and smiled at me. "You are so cool, Min."
  I stared at her in surprise. She thought I was cool?
  "Your love for Gi Kwang is so pure. And you are willing to let him go if that makes him happy. That, not anyone is willing to do that. You are the coolest person I've ever met," she told me.
  And that, brought tears to my eyes again. I didn't know why, but getting praised by Lia made me feel happy.
  "Lia..."
  She wiped the tears on my cheeks again. "Listen, Min. I can't go back to Gi Kwang right now. This." She pointed at her heart. "Needs to heal first. Then I'll see if I could go back."
  "The wound will always be there, Lia. You could let it heal by itself. Or you could let someone heal it together with you. You shouldn't have to go through this alone, Lia."
  She looked down. "I don't know, Min. I'm afraid. Afraid to go back. I've been taught since young that second chances isn't good. I'm afraid if I go back, it would be a mistake and the wound would grow bigger. If that happens, I don't think I could heal anymore."
  "Take a risk, Lia. If you didn't go back, you'd keep wondering what happened if you had. So stop wondering. Go back, Lia."
  She looked at me and smiled. "I'll think about it, Min."
  I stood up then. She followed.
  "I'll be going," I told her.
  We hugged. She rubbed my back in a soothing gesture.
  "Thank you, Min. You gave me a lot to think about. I don't have a girl friend here in Korea. Talking to you makes me miss my girls back home. Talking to you also makes me feel better. It would always makes it feel better to have a girl talk about this kind of thing."
  We pulled away.
  "I can be your friend, Lia," I told her. "I can be your friend, but not Gi Kwang-oppa's."
  "I know what you mean," she said.
  She led me out. At the gate, I paused and turned to her. "I really hope that you will go back to Gi Kwang-oppa. And I will pray for both of you to live happily ever after together."
  I saw tears in her eyes. "Thank you, Min. You don't know how much that means to me."
  I nodded and left. Now that I had decided to let Gi Kwang-oppa go, and I had apologized to Lia, my heart felt lighter. I felt a smile spread across my face as I walked away.