Chapter 23

My husband, the babokwang!

 >Lia<
  I woke up lying on the bathroom floor. How long had I been in here? I cracked my brain to remember what happened before.
  I vaguely remembered the overwhelming feelings that caused me to pass out on the bathroom floor. My insides were in turmoil. Not just because I was in the pool, but because of Lucas too.
  When Doojoon pushed me in, I trashed in the water. I waited for Lucas to come and save me. A habit I could never get rid of. I waited to see his face breaking through the surface and swimming down to save me. I waited and waited, but he didn't come. And that hurt all over again.
  When Yoseobie brought me back to the hotel, I locked myself in the bathroom and suffocated myself.
  Sometimes, remembering that I would never see my twin brother anymore hurt so bad that I couldn't breathe.
  The hotel room was empty. I looked at the time, it was two o'clock in the afternoon. Beast must have just left for the auditorium.
  The apartment door opened and one of the other manager walked in.
  "Oh, you're out. Good. Get dress, we're leaving in twenty minutes," she told me.
  "Where to?"
  "To have your lunch. Then to the auditorium. Gi Kwang reminded me a thousand times that you must have your lunch first before you go to the auditorium. He was so worried about you, you know. Beast was worried about you too. Yoseob almost broke down the door because you wouldn't come out of the bathroom," she told me.
  "Oh. I'm sorry to make you all worried like that."
  "It's alright. Just get ready."
  I went back to the bathroom to clean myself up.
  In the van, I told the manager that I wasn't hungry and that we should just go straight to the auditorium.
  "But Gi Kwang insisted that you have your lunch first, before heading over."
  "Just tell him that I refused to eat and you couldn't do anything about it."
  So we went straight to the auditorium. The manager gave me a backstage pass and led the way to Beast's dressing room. When I stepped inside, Yoseob was the first to come to me.
  "L, how are you feeling?" He asked me carefully.
  "Don't be like that," I scolded him.
  "Be like what?"
  "Don't act like I'm going to explode at any moment. Just treat me the same way, Yoseobie."
  I hated myself for showing my vulnerability and weakness to them. This was what happened when I let my guard down in front of them. They would act like I was so fragile and would break at any moment.
  "Lia." Doojoon, Junhyung and Hyun Seung came up to me, looking contrite. "We'd like to apologize for—"
  I held up my palm to them. "You've already apologize and I've already forgiven you. So can we just skip this whole awkward thing and move on, please? Just forget whatever happened at the pool just now."
  "That's fine with me," Junhyung said happily. "Ya, Lia. Help me with my phone. I can't get into my email again...."


  •Gi Kwang•
  "Did she eat lunch?" I asked manager noona.
  "Ani. She said she wasn't hungry and refused to go to the restaurant. I can't do anything about it. Mian, Gi Kwang-ah."
  "It's okay, noona."
  I watched Lia frowning down at Junhyung's phone, with him sitting beside her, tapping his feet impatiently.
  "Beast! You're up in five," someone called out from the door.
  We got up.
  "Lia-ah, come watch us from the seats," Dongwoon said.
  "Oh." Still holding onto Junhyung's phone, she followed us out. We went to the side stage while Lia went out to sit at the stands.
  We performed three songs, and Lia watched us. In the airplane to Japan, the kids and Lia had planned all kinds of sign language that Beast were supposed to do for Lia when performing. So the kids did all the sign language. I saw Lia grinning.
  When our third song ended, we went back stage and Lia followed.
  "Junhyung! I've figured out why you couldn't login into your account," Lia told him as we walked through the hallway to the dressing room.
  They both leaned over the phone as they walked. Celebrities and idols were all over the place in the hallway, but amazingly, Lia and Junhyung never bumped into anyone.
  We almost reached our dressing room when someone shouted, "Lia!"
  All of us turned around together, wanting to see who had called my wife. Who knew her other than us, here? Lia never told us about having another artist friend in Korea.
  Jay Park squeezed between two Ukiss members and shouted, "Yo, Lia!"
  "Jay?" Lia cried in delight.
  She laughed as he ran towards her. They fell into a big hug. Jay swung her in circles. I stared at them, bewildered. Beast was watching them with their mouth opened too.
  When Jay put her down, they started speaking in fluent english.
  "Can't believe you're here," Lia said happily.
  "I can't believe you're here," Jay said excitedly. "What are you doing here, princess?"
  She opened to answer, but then stopped. She glanced at the many people around us. She turned back to Jay and said, "Code 13."
  My English wasn't that good. But I could atleast understand simple english. What was p code 13?
  Jay raised one eyebrow at her. "Seriously? Here?"
  "Ya, L-Lia. You know Jay? Jay hyung, you know Lia?" Doojoon asked them. Doojoon knew Jay back when he trained in JYP.
  Jay looked over Lia's shoulders at us. "Oh. Hey, Doojoon. Beast." He turned to Lia. "You're with them?"
  "Hi," Yoseob said. "How do you guys know each other?"
   For some reason, I felt a little shy around the two of them. I could tell the kids were too. It was obvious from their body language and affectionate greeting that Lia and Jay's relationship were pretty deep.
  "Lia and me. We go way back," Jay said.
  "We were from the same high school," Lia explained "When I was a freshman, Jay was a Junior."
  Oh, that explained their relationship.
  "We have one hell of a catch up to do," Jay told Lia.
  "Do we?" She asked innocently.
  "Man, Lia! You disappeared on us for half a year and the next thing I know, you're here. Right in front of me. In Japan!"
  She laughed. "I guess we do have some catch up to do."
  "Do the others know that you're here?"
  Her smile dried up and she shook her head. I cocked my head to the side. Others? Who were the others?
 

  "We've been searching everywhere for you, Lia. We called, texted, tweeted, emailed you, but you never reply to any of us. Ashley's hurt, you know."

  She looked away.
  "What's going on, Lia? After..." Jay paused. His eyes flickered to me and the kids conspicuously. "After that day, they told me they can't get to you. Then, I heard some serious about you. I don't know whether to believe it."
  "Jay-ah!" Someone called. "You need to get here!"
  He scowled. "Damn it." He turned back to Lia. "Rain check?"
  "Sure."
  He grabbed her wrist roughly. "Don't give me that, princess. You said oh sure, but then you'll disappear again."
  She pressed her lips together, eyes a little narrowed.
  "I can see it in your eyes. I'm not going to let you get away from me again. Give me your number. Now," He ordered.
  "Jeez, Jackass. I'm not going anywhere. I live in Korea now."
  "Korea's one hell of a big country! Which part of Korea?"
  I didn't like how he kept demanding things from her. I also didn't like how they kept speaking in english and seemed to be lost in their own world.
  Lia held up her palm. "I promise I'll do a rain check on you. Okay? I'll call you. You're still using the same number?"
  He nodded.
  "So that's settle then. I'll call soon."
  That should be a goodbye, right? So why wasn't Jay moving? He was staring at Lia's face with a troubled look.
  He took a step closer to her. I didn't like how the space between them was only five fingers apart. They stared into each others eyes.
  I strained my ear to hear what Jay was murmuring to her.
  "Lia... I know it's hard. But you're not the only one who's mourning. We miss him too, princess. We want him back too."
  "Not as much as I do," Lia muttered, her voice strained.
  "Losing him is hard for all of us. But you shouldn't have to be going through this all alone, Lia. We're here for you. We want to help."
  "I don't need help. I just need Luc—" she stopped abruptly, her eyes were over Jay's shoulder. She stared at something and took a step back.
  I looked to where she was staring and my heart fell in dismay. Min was heading over here, practically skipping. She was looking at me.
  "Gi Kwang-oppa!"
  Lia shot me a look before turning back to Jay. "I'll call you."
  She turned to leave but Jay caught her elbow. "Oh, no. You owe me one, princess. For going ghost on me. On us. Pay up, now."
  She frowned at him, glancing at me for just a second.
  Min reached to my side. "Gi Kwang-oppa, I've been looking all over for you." She saw Lia. "Eh, Lia? You're here too? Oh! Jay oppa too. Do you guys know each other?"
  Lia smiled at her. "Yes."
  Min kind of leaned towards me as she talked. I edged away a little. Lia saw everything. That eyes of hers wouldn't miss a thing. Her face hardened.
  She turned back to Jay. "The usual payback?"
  He grinned. "Yeah. Unless, you know, you're finally agreeing with what I've been suggesting since prom night four years ago."
  She rolled her eyes. "In your dreams, Jackass."
  He laughed, tilting his head to the side, facing his cheek to her. Lia looked down at my feet, then leaned forward and kissed his cheek.
  My eyes bulged out. A second later, anger built up inside of me.
  "My debt is cleared," she announced.
  Jay, grining naughtily, said, "Not yet. There's an interest."
  She punched his stomach hard. He made a 'whoof' sound and doubled over, holding onto his stomach as he groaned.
  "Don't push it, jackass."
  "Aarrhhh..." He stood up properly, but I could tell that his stomach still hurts. He grinned again. "Is it crazy to say that I missed being beaten up by you?"
  Lia smirked. "I'm not surprise. I've always suspected that there's something wrong up there, in your head."
  He laughed and opened his arm. She went into them and they hugged for a long time.
  "Jay! Get over here. Pali!" Someone shouted from the other side.
  Lia let go of him. Jay started walking backwards, still facing us and said to Lia, "I missed you, Princess. Better call me. I'll be waiting."
  She waved at him.
  Min turned to me. "Did you see that? Jay and Lia..."
  I glared at her. I had eyes, I saw it, alright? She didn't have to rub it in.