Chapter 18

My husband, the babokwang!

  •Gi Kwang•
  "If you keep treating her wrong, she's going to leave you. And she will never come back. You can never ever see her again...."
  Those words kept playing in my head, haunting me, taunting me, keeping me wide awake.
  "She's going to leave you... You will never ever see her again..."
  First, it was Junhyung's voice in my head. Then Yoseob's, Doojoon's, Hyun Seung's, Dongwoon's and finally, my own voice.
  "She will never come back..."
  Those words brought shivers to my spine, gripped my heart in a tight hold of fear, my stomach churning in nervousness. Sweat broke out on my forehead and around my chest.
  "She will leave you..."
  When exhaustion finally took me under, I dreamt of Lia's back to me, walking away, leaving me. Lia saying she didn't want to see me anymore. Lia, happy in Yoseob's arms and not mine. Lia, every part of her was pale except for her red blood lips, lying in a coffin.
  I gasped and sat up in bed, my breathing heavy, my pulse in high speed. A small part of me was aware that it was already morning but the majority part of me just wanted to find Lia. Find her, and never let her go.
  I scrambled out of bed frantically and rushed out of my room, almost tripping over my shirt on the floor clumsily. My heart was pumping hard and fast, my hands were shaking. I was soaked with sweat. I needed to see her. I needed to make sure that she was still here, with me.
  I barged into Lia's room without knocking and my eyes started roaming her room in panic, searching for her. She wasn't there. The room was tidied, it looked empty.
  "Lia?" I whispered. My heart beat faster when I couldn't find her. She was not here. She was not here! No! NOO! "Liiaaa!"

 

>Lia<
  "Liiaaa!"
  I jumped in my seat, spilling a little of my coffee onto the kitchen table. Garfield and Kwangie scattered out of their basket. They were surprised of Gi Kwang-goon's scream too. What the hell? Why was that pabo screaming my name now?
  I dashed out of the kitchen. "What?" I demanded.
  Gi Kwang-goon burst out of my room and stopped short from the door. I almost let out the shocked gasp when I got a good look of him. His wide eyes were bloodshot, and there were prominent dark circles under them. He looked so pale, I would have thought he was dead if he wasn't moving. His tshirt was soaked. I could see his hands shaking, his lips trembling. His hair was rumpled from sleep. He didn't look like a celebrity right now. He looked messed up and so, so exhausted.
  When he saw me, his eyes watered a little and he crossed the space between us in a split second. The next thing I knew, he had threw his arms around me and hugging me so tightly, burying his face in my long hair. I was startled. Even through his wet shirt and my dry ones, I could feel that his body temperature was hot. Too hot.
  "You can't leave me... I'm scared, Lia-ah. Can't leave me..." He kept murmuring.
  "Ya... Gi Kwang-ah. Waeguerae? Gwaenchana?" I patted his back uncertainly.
  He tightened the embrace, making it a little hard to breathe. "Promise me you won't leave. Promise me!"
  I didn't think he realised what he was saying.
  "Ya Gi Kwang, your body is hot!" I touched his forehead and his neck worriedly. "You're having a high fever. We should go to the doctor."
  "You have to promise me you won't leave me." He pulled back and gripped my shoulders painfully. His eyes were feverish. He didn't hear me. He couldn't. Too caught up in this craze state. "You can't leave me. You can't!" 
  I cupped his face in my hands and looked into his eyes to make sure he heard me this time. I spoke to him gently, as if I was talking to a child. "I won't leave you, okay? I won't. Let's go to the doctor, okay?"
  He shook his head and kept repeating that I couldn't leave him. I kept promising him that I wouldn't. I tried coaxing him back to bed, since he didn't want to go to the doctor. But whenever I tried to pull my hand away from him, he would go into that panic mode again and started grabbing back my hand.
  I managed to get him to sit on his bed. "You should wet your body with cold water and change clothes, Gi Kwang."
  He shook his head. I sat beside him on the bed, my hands still in his and looked at him worriedly.
  "What's wrong Gi Kwang-ah? What happened?"
  He shook his head again, his gaze was half dazed. "I'm scared."
  "Scared of what?"
  "You... Leave... I'm scared."
  I didn't understand. I sighed. "I'm going to the kitchen to get some wet towels for your forehead."
  I stood up. He started gripping my hand tighter and pleaded. "Don't go. Please."
  I gazed down into his fearful eyes for a moment. What was wrong with him? What nightmare did he had until he became like this? Seeing him so scared and vulnerable, my protective, motherly instinct flared up. The instinct my father hated the most in me, the instinct he couldn't get rid off.
  "Lie down." I pushed him down gently and he allowed me. I sat at the edge of the bed beside him and caressed his hair to his cheek. "I'm just going to go to the kitchen and come back. I will come back, okay?"
  At first he wouldn't let me go. But when I coaxed him a few more times, he sat up in bed but let go off my hands. I fast walked to the kitchen. I filled a big bowl with cold water, and added a lot of ice. Then I took two towels and brought all of them back to Gi Kwang's room.
  When he saw me, he lied back down in bed. I put down the bowl and towels on the nightstand.
  "You need to take off your shirt, change clothes."
  I helped him out of his shirt. By then, his eyes were already half closed. He was half conscious. I dunk the towels in the bowl, wetted them, then started wiping Gi Kwang-goon's arms and chest. He moaned a little, the cold water must have felt like a piercing knife on his hot skin. It was only because he was exhausted that his reaction was weak. My anxiety and worry didn't hinder me from checking out his abs though. Oh, wow. He did have nice abs.
  After I finished washing his body and face, I opened his wardrobe, found a tshirt and helped him wear it. Then I tugged the comforters under his chin. He was fully asleep now. I went back to the kitchen and replaced the old water with a new, colder ones. After they were soaked with cold water, I placed one towel on his forehead, the other under his chin, on his neck.
  Leaning back, I sighed. It was quite tiring actually. I suddenly remembered my work. I called and told them that I wasn't coming in today. Just when I hung up, the doorbell rang. I went to open it.
  "Oh, L. Where's Gi Kwang?" Yoseobie asked me. "We have a schedule today. It's time to go." The rest of the Beast members were busy tying their shoe laces behind Yoseobie.
  "Sorry, but Gi Kwang-goon's not feeling well. I don't think he's up for it," I told them.
  Doojoon stood up and looked at me. I saw the concern glint in his eyes. "How unwell is he?"
  "A high fever. He wasn't in his right mind when I found him, talking nonsense. You guys can come see him for yourself. He's sleeping in his room."
  They came in and went to pay a "visit" to Gi Kwang. He was sound asleep. By just one look, you could tell straight away that he was really, really ill. His skin was pale, his kissable lips were blue black.
  "He's really sick huh," Junhyung murmured.
  "Of course he is," I said.
  "You're not going to work either?" Yoseobie asked me.
  I shook my head. "Who's going to take care of Gi Kwang-goon if I go to work?"
  "Oh. Arasso."
  We slipped out of his room as quietly as we had came in.
  Doojoon touched my shoulder as we went to the main door. "I'll tell manager hyung about Gi Kwang. Don't worry, Lia-ah. Today, we only have one schedule. It won't take too long. We'll come back to help you take care of Gi Kwang."
  Yoseob nodded in agreement. I thanked them and then watched them leave.
  "Lia?" Gi Kwang-goon's weak, panic voice could be heard from the room.
  I ran back into the room. "I'm here, baby. I'm here."
  He held my hand to his chest, let out a heavy sigh and fell back into unconsciousness. I sat beside the bed and watched him worriedly. This wasn't like him, to be weak, vulnerable and needy like this. What had shaken him so badly?
  And why must he do something like this everytime I was starting to hate him? The first time was the dance thingy, I wanted to hate him for forcing me to be 
G.NA's background dancer. But then he explained why he did it, and I couldn't hate him because he thought he was helping me.
  The second one was with Yoseobie. I started hating him, but then he went to take me home. The way he treated me, I couldn't possibly hate that.
  And now this. I was hating him. I was really hating him. But then he had to pull off something like this again. I couldn't possibly hate him now, because he was sick. Because I couldn't deny the worry, concern feelings I had inside.
  "Pabokwang," I whispered to him. "Pabo Pabo Pabo."
  I went to make porridge and then sat beside him again. I changed the towels on his forehead and neck. His body temperature went down a little. He woke up three times. The third time he woke up, I forced him to eat the porridge and then took some medicine. He fell back asleep when he was sure that I wasn't going anywhere.
  In the afternoon, Yoseobie called.
  "L-ah, Mian. We got caught up and couldn't come home early."
  "That's okay. What do you guys want for dinner today? I don't know what to cook tonight."
  "Are you sure you want to cook for us today? Aren't you tired of taking care of Gi Kwang?"
  "I'm fine. Really. I can still cook."
  He asked the rest of the Beast member what they wanted to eat, and then told me. I went to cook dinner at 7.
  Beast came home at 7.30.
  "L, Gwaenchana?" Yoseobie asked me when he came into the kitchen. He automatically helped me out.
  "I'm fine."
  "How's Gi Kwang doing?"
  "His temperature went down a little, but he's still having a fever."
  Junhyung was about to steal a prawn on the dish but I smacked his hand away. "You're a good wife, Lia-ah. Taking a day off work just to take care of your husband." He reached out to steal again, and again, I smacked his hand away.
  "Thank you for the compliment, Junhyung. But I still won't allow you to have that prawn until dinner's ready," I said.
  He laughed.
  "If there is such a thing as the world's record for the most number of jobs employed at one time, Lia would win it," Dongwoon said, as he rummaged through the fridge for some snacks.
  I bumped him aside with my hip, grabbed his favorite snack inside the fridge and gave it to him. He grinned at me.
  "Lia is a chef/maid/housewife/architect," Hyun Seung paused.
  "Background dancer," Doojoon added.
  "That wasn't a job. It was voluntary work," I said.
  "A musician," Yoseobie continued, like I hadn't said a thing.
  I sighed and shook my head at them. "Ya, if you're not helping out, get out of the kitchen."
  Everyone went out except for Yoseobie. When dinner was ready, Gi Kwang-goon woke up and called for me. I let Beast had their dinner while I went to Gi Kwang-goon.
  Later on during the night, his temperature went up again. I got worried and decided to bring him to the doctor. Junhyung and Yoseobie came along. We took my car. Junhyung drove, Yoseobie sat at the passenger seat while I sat behind with Gi Kwang-goon lying down, his head on my lap. His face was crumpled in pain, he was half conscious.
  "Gi Kwang-ah, hold on, okay?" Yoseob said, his head turned back to look at Gi Kwang. His face frowning in concern.
  "Should we go to the clinic or hospital?" Junhyung asked.
  I wanted to say hospital but Gi Kwang-goon interjected. "Clinic. Just clinic. I don't want to stay in the hospital."
  "But—" He took my hand and kissed my palm, shutting me up. How could he still be so sweet when he was so sick?
  When we arrived at the clinic, Junhyung and Yoseobie was helping Gi Kwang-goon out of the car when we were ambushed by reporters.
  "Beast! Can you tell us what's happening here?"
  "Who is this beautiful lady with you?"
  "Is she one of your girlfriend?"
  "What is wrong with Gi Kwang-shii?"
  "Is he suffering from a serious illness?"
  "Cancer?"
  "Is she Yoseob's girlfriend or Gi Kwang's?"
  "Ignore them," Junhyung muttered to me. He gripped my wrist and, with one of Gi Kwang-goon's arm around his shoulders, started forward to the clinic, pulling me along.
  "Our apologies, but we can't answer any questions right now. Please leave us alone," Yoseobie told the reporters as he kept pace with me and Junhyung. Gi Kwang's other arm around his shoulders.
  The reporters didn't understand or didn't want to understand. They kept following us and kept taking pictures. It was blinding my vision. I covered my face.
  "Urgh," I said under my breath.
  Yoseobie heard me. "Mian, L."
  "Lia, go inside the clinic and tell the nurses to forbid the reporters from coming in. It's a private clinic. They have the right to stop the reporters from coming in," Junhyung told me. He was pissed.
  I went ahead into the clinic. At the counter I told the nurses about the reporters, and, blessed their kind hearts, they understood. They quickly went out to stop the reporters. Junhyung and Yoseobie quickly half carried Gi Kwang inside.
  Since it was almost closing time for the clinic, there wasn't any other patients other than Gi Kwang-goon. The doctor said over-working and stress were the cause of him falling sick, and ordered him to rest for a few days.
  He might have over work, but stress? What was he stress about?
  The reporters waited for us. When we got out of the clinic, they chased us to the car. It was pissing me off. We quickly got into the car and drove off.
  "I wonder what they're going to say about this," Junhyung said.
  Yoseobie, holding onto his Iphone, snorted. "It's already on the net. Lee Gi Kwang of Beast falling sick. Lee Gi Kwang of Beast having cancer. Huh?" His head bent down lower to the phone. "Yong Junhyung cheated on Goo Hara? Ya, they are showing a picture of you pulling Lia's hand. They cropped out Gi Kwang's and my picture."
  I looked at Junhyung worriedly. "Do I have to explain anything to Hara?"
  "Don't worry, Lia. Hara knows that I'm going to the clinic with you and Yoseob," Junhyung reassured me.
  I sighed in relief. Being an idol was so complicated. You'd be famous, but you wouldn't get any privacy.
  That whole night, I didn't sleep because I took care of Gi Kwang-goon.