Chapter 33

My husband, the babokwang!

•Gi Kwang•
  Two months. I waited for her for two whole months. She never made a single sound, never lifted a single eyelid, never moved a single inch. I was going crazy waiting.
  Everyday, Yoseob would sit beside her and talk to her. Told her about our day and sang to her. He'd always ended up crying. The rest of the kids would come atleast three times a week.
  "Lia... wake up already. I want to eat your delicious chilli crabs and kimchi," Hyun Seung mumbled. He had his head on the bed Lia was lying, near her elbow. His eyes were half closed.
  I didn't bother to go with the two by two rule anymore. I let all of us in to the room.
  Junhyung smacked his head. "How could you say that?" He paused. Then, he said, "You should have asked for her kimchi fried rice!"
  Doojoon suddenly gripped the back of their necks hard. They yelped in pain. "Jugoshippo?" He said through gritted teeth. "Do you want Lia back just because of her cooking?"
  "Aaaah.. aah! Ani! Ani!" Hyun Seung cried.
  "Aaaaaaaah! Apa! Apa!" Junhyung squeaked.
  "Shhh! Ya! This is a hospital," Yoseob stage-whispered fiercely. He was sitting on the other side of the bed, holding onto Lia's hand, massaging her stiff fingers. "Take this outside. You're making noise polluti—" He abruptly stopped talking and his head snapped to Lia's face.
  I saw the look on his face. It was a look of scared hope. My heart skipped a beat and I rushed to his side.
  "Yoseob. Waeyo? Waeyo?"
  The kids quickly crowded around the bed.
  Yoseob blinked a couple of times, his mouth a gap, eyes never left Lia's face. "I'm... I'm not sure. I thought, I thought I felt her fingers twitched."
  I snatched her hand out of his and waited for a twitch he was talking about. The kids were in total silence as we waited for just that small twitch. That small twitch that would make a huge deal.
  My heart beat wildly in my chest, anticipating. The hope that was bubbling inside of me was almost too much to bear.
  Minutes passed, and nothing happened. My heart fell down two storeys. I couldn't even begin to explain how disappointed I was.
  "False alarm," I whispered, and gently put down her hand. The kids groaned and sighed, going back to their places.
  Yoseob's face crumpled and he buried his face in his arms on the bed.
  "Don't cry, Yoseob-ah," Doojoon said, placing a hand on his shoulder.
  He sniffled. "I was hoping so badly for her to wake up this time."
  "We were too. But we have to be patient—"
  "Lia!" Dongwoon suddenly cried. He jumped up onto his feet and ran to the bed. "Lia! I saw it! I saw it! Her hand moved!"
  "Where? Where?" Everyone started crowding around her bed again.
  This time, I saw it. Her fingers twitched. I quickly held her hand in mine.
  "Lia, Love? Can you hear me?" I asked, my voice shaking.
  "L? Wake up, L," Yoseob whispered.
  The miracle I'd been waiting for finally happened. Lia's eyes slowly fluttered open. The room turned chaotic.
  "Oh my god! Lia's awake!" Dongwoon cried.
  "Lia. I'm here, Love."
  "L?"
  "Liaaaa! Oh, my god! Finally! Oh, wait. I'll get the doctor." Junhyung ran out.
  "Wohoo! Liaaaa! Wohoo!!"
  "Chilli Crab, Kimchi! Chilli Crab, Kimchi!"
  Doojoon and Hyun Seung were holding onto each other as they jumped in circles and whooped behind us. Yoseob and Dongwoon were weeping in joy.
  The doctor and nurses rushed in and shooed us out. "Let us check her out first, please."
  The nurse led us out. I called Keomonim and my Eomeonim to tell the good news. They were delighted and were rushing to get to the hospital.
  "She's awake. She's awake," Yoseob kept saying. He suddenly grabbed my face in his hands and shook my head. "Gi Kwang, she's awake. She's awake!"
  "I know!" I cried back happily and pulled him into a tight hug.
  The kids joined in and we fell into the warmest group hug we'd ever had. We were laughing and crying all at the same time. This was the best news I'd ever had in two months.
  When we broke apart, a guy accidentally ran into Yoseob. Yoseob turned around and apologized. The guy smiled and accepted the apology. He made a move to go, but then paused and studied our faces.
  "I assumed a miracle happened? Since all of your faces are so radiant," he observed.
  Yoseob nodded enthusiastically. "Our good friend had just woken up from a coma. We've been waiting for two months. Hence, the overwhelming joy."
  The guy smiled. "That's good news. Congratulations."
  "Kamsahamida."
  He bowed and then left.
  The doctor was taking forever. I couldn't wait to see Lia's face, see her smiling at me, hear her say my name, kiss her soft lips and feel that tingling in my toes...
  When the doctor finally came out almost an hour later, he had a huge smile on his face. "Your wife is fully out of the coma, Lee Gi Kwang."
  "Thank god! Thank god!" Dongwoon whispered.
  "But, she's a little groggy and might not be able to remember anything at first. We need to let her wake up fully, let her stiff body relaxed and her mind process to the here and now, before I can get her go through some test."
  "I understand."
  "For the time being, try not to stress her out. Treat her as gently and kindly as you can. She's at her most vulnerable state."
  "I understand, doctor. Can I see her now?"
  The doctor gestured to the room. "She's all yours."
  I rushed into the room. Smartly, the kids held back, letting me and Lia have a private reunion first.
  She was propped up on the bed, blinking her eyes a couple of times. There was a small, cute frown displayed on her face.
  I went to her slowly, suddenly shy. "Hey."
  She stared at me for a moment, her eyes showed no recognition. "Nugu ya?"
  A small pinch on my heart. It's okay, Gi Kwang. Doctor said she might not be able to remember anything at first. You have to be patient. It would come back to her soon.
  And then she said something that made my heart stopped.
  "Where's Lucas?"


   >Lia<
  A pretty boy came into the room. He gazed at me, a small smile on his face. It took me a moment to realize that he was Korean. It took me another moment to remember how to speak Korean.
  "Nugu ya?" My voice sounded rusty, like I hadn't been using them for a long time.
  Something flashed in his eyes, but it was gone as fast as it had came. What was that? And where was I? How did I get here? What happened to me? I glanced around for a moment. And where the hell was Lucas?
  I turned to the silent pretty boy. "Where's Lucas?"
  Every ounce of his body froze. Even the emotions in his eyes. What the hell?
  "Mworago?" He whispered. What was wrong with him? Why was he looking at me like that? Was he deaf?
  "Uh, where's Lucas? You know, my twin brother?" When he just stared at me, I demanded. "Do you even know who's my twin brother?"
  Damn that idiot! How could he leave me all alone in this hospital with a guy I didn't know? You're so dead, twin. I was going to kick his ! Erm, once I could feel my legs. Why couldn't I feel my legs?
  At the corner of my eye, I saw a slight movement behind a glass window. I looked over and saw five namjas, watching me and the pretty boy with wide eyes. One of them— the most youngest, I think— gave me an adorable smile and waved at me. I scowled. Was I supposed to know this guy? It was getting confusing! Who the hell were all these people? Where the hell was Lucas? And the others? And why wasn't this boy answering me? God, my head was starting to hurt.
  I glared at the guy in front of me. "Look, dude, if you're not going to answer me, then stop staring at me and help me call my freaking brother."
  The door to the room suddenly banged open and— finally! Familiar faces— my Keomonim, Sahnchom and my cousin, Ha seung walked in. Wait, why were they here? Oh, right. I was in Korea. Uh, why was I in Korea again? And did Dad know about this? I was so dead if he didn't.
  "Lia! Oh, god! Lia, baby!" My Keomonim hugged me, then started kissing me all over.
  "Gee, Keomonim, what did I do to get this warm welcome? You've never greeted me like this before."
  She pulled back. "You woke up. That's what you did."
  And then, one by one, my Sahnchom and Ha Seung hugged me. As they did, I couldn't help but be acutely aware of the pretty boy standing still right beside my bed. He didn't move an inch and continued to stare at me like something was growing on my face. What was his problem?
  I was happy to see my relatives, but there was just one person I needed to see most. I needed to know what happened, and I knew that Lucas would tell me everything. He wouldn't miss anything out because he knew I hated it, and because he just couldn't lie to me.
  "Why am I in the hospital? And why does my shoulder hurt so bad?" I asked when the greeting moment was over.
  "You don't remember?" Sahmchon asked.
  I shook my head.
  "You were in an accident, Lia-ah."
  "How bad was the accident?"
  "Pretty bad. You dislocated your shoulder, and some serious injury here and there."
  Oh. No wonder my shoulder hurt and I couldn't feel my legs.
  "So where's Lucas?"
  My relatives reacted the same way that pretty boy did when I asked that question: frozen in place. What the hell?
  My Keomonim turned to the pretty boy silently.
  He shook his head and whispered, "She doesn't remember me either."
  Ha Seung sat in front of me on the bed, looking at me carefully. "Unnie, don't you remember him?" She pointed to the boy.
  I frowned and shook my head. She turned to the window and gestured for the five namjas to come in.
  "What about them?"
  I looked at each and everyone of the namja's faces as they piled into the room. There was no bell ringing, so I shook my head.
  All nine of them passed a dismayed look with one another. I was getting tired of these looks.
  I sighed. "Ha Seung-ah, can you stop asking me stupid questions and call Lucas to come here? I want to talk to him."
  She suddenly teared up.
  "Ya, Ha Seung-ah. Waeguerae? Why are you crying?" I asked, panicking.
  "Mian," she mumbled, then ran out of the room.
  "Ha Seung-ah!"
  "Ha Seung!"
  I watched her go. What did I say?


  •Gi Kwang•
  "I don't understand, doctor. What's wrong with Lia?" I asked. I was desperate to know why she couldn't remember me or the kids or my parents. I wanted to know what was wrong so badly, so that I could fix this quickly and get her back.
  The doctor took out a slip of plastic paper that looked like a brain scan. "From what I can see here, and we've already established this since before she woke up, that Lia would have amnesia."
  It hit me square on my stomach. Why didn't I remember this?
  "But why does she remembers me, my husband and my daughter but not them?" Keomonim asked from beside me.
  The doctor put his fingers to his chin thoughtfully. "It seems here, Lia's brain is repressing a bad memory. Did something really bad or any traumatic incident happened to her recently?"
  Keomonim and I looked at each other, thinking the same thing.
  "Her twin brother met with a tragic death about—" I stopped short when I saw the date on the calendar that was on the doctor's table. "Exactly one year ago," I whispered. "She saw how he died."
  Lia woke up on Lucas's death anniversary. Why was this happening? God.
  "Oh, dear," the doctor said. "I understand now. You met your wife after her brother passed away, didn't you?"
  I was startled that he knew. "Yes. How did you know, doc?"
  "The reason why Lia doesn't remember you or the others but she remembers her Keomonim is because her brain had repressed any memory of the death of the brother, including whatever happened after that. Maybe because every moment after his death was a torture to her. The brain does not want to remember the pain that she's been suffering a year ago. This will make it difficult for Lia."
  "How so?"
  "Since she can't remember, Lia would definitely keep asking for her brother."
  Keomonim nodded. "She's been asking for him the minute she woke up."
  "So, you see. She does not remember any of the incident or the pain she's gone through or anything that happened after that. Once she finds out about the death of her brother, she'll be going through the first stage of grief all over again. The disbelief, denial, pain, crying. The pain would be fresh and new. She's going to hurt a lot. I suggest you stay by her side all the time, Gi Kwang. For support."


 °Yoseob°
  I perched on the bed in front of Lia. She looked at me blankly. I was so upset that she couldn't remember me, but I tried not to show it.
  "My name's Yoseob, Lia. Yang Yoseob."
  She smiled. "Annyeong, Yang Yoseob. Will you tell me what's going on? Why did Ha Seung cry and run out? Why is my Keomonim seeing the doctor? Is there something wrong with me? And why isn't my brother here yet?"
  I stared at her sadly. "Don't you remember anything Lia? Don't you remember me, your bestfriend? Or Gi Kwang? Your husband?"
  "WHAT?!" She exclaimed loudly. "What did you say? M—my what?! Who's my husband? When did I get married?" She stared bewilderingly at me. "Are you joking?"
  I shook my head grimly. "No, L. No. I'm not joking. The guy that went out of the room with your Keomonim? That's Lee Gi Kwang, your husband."
  She stared at me without saying anything for a moment. I could see disbelief in her eyes.
  "No. NO! That's not possible. How can I not remember that I got married? I'm only twenty for goodness sake! And did Lucas allow this? He couldn't have. What about my father?" She kept demanding.

  I frowned. She still thought she was twenty?
  Gi Kwang entered the room then. He looked like crap. Serious crap.
  "Wait, what date is today?" Lia asked.
  A jolt of lightning went through me. It was 20th of July, Lucas's death anniversary. Oh, my god.
  My eyes met Gi Kwang's and I knew he, too, just remembered about that. How was I supposed to break it to Lia that today was a year since her beloved brother died?