Chapter 21

My husband, the babokwang!

  >Lia<
  "Aaaaahhh, Lia jaebal!"
  "It'll be like a holiday."
  "Have a break, uh?"
  I looked at each and every one of the Beast members. "Why would you want me to go to Japan with you?"
  "Just because," Yoseobie answered.
  Gi Kwang-goon didn't say anything. He had been really quiet ever since a week ago, the night Min came over.

  I sighed. "When are you guys going?"
  "Tomorrow, Friday. Around evening? Manager hyung said you could come," Doojoon said.
  "When are you guys coming back?"
  "WE," Dongwoon pointed to all the Beast members including me. "are coming back on Wednesday night."
  I frowned. "But I've got work."
  "I've called your Sahnchom and Keomonim, asking if they could give you three days off. You know, since you've just finished two projects this week," Doojoon told me.
  My eyes widened. "You did that? You called my keomonim and sahnchom?" He nodded. I was impressed. "What did they say?"
  "They said since you're ahead time of the other projects, they're letting you go."
  "Seriously?"
  "Yup. Now you have no excuse not to go," Hyun Seung told me.
  "Okay, fine. I'll go," I said in defeat. "What's this about again?"
  "It's a kpop wave," Junhyung explained to me. "There are going to be us, Ukiss, SNSD, Shinee, 2NE1, Big Bang, Z.E.A—"
  "Okay, okay. I got the picture," I interrupted.
  "You'd better start packing tonight."
  I nodded and glanced at Gi Kwang-goon. He didn't say anything or showed any expression. He just sat there, looking down. He seemed to be far away from here, must be thinking about his girlfriend.
  My heart prickled again. Just thinking about him and his girlfriend made my heart hurt.


  •Gi Kwang•
  I didn't know what to feel right now.
  I didn't bother to explain to Lia that Min wasn't my girlfriend. She didn't give me the chance anyway. And she said the kiss was a mistake. A mistake. I didn't think it was a mistake. Clearly, she didn't like me back.
  The kids didn't treat me any different then before, but they kept giving me dirty looks whenever they thought I wasn't looking. It was like the words Min and Miss A were a taboo among us. They didn't bring up the girlfriend thing and deliberately avoided any topic that had got to do with Miss A or Min.
   We were waiting for Lia outside of the apartment to go to the airport the next day. She'd just gotten home from work, and was changing into casual attires.
  When she came out, she was carrying a backpack and wearing a knit cap. She looked really, really cute.
  The kids laughed when they saw her.
  "Ya, you look adorable," Yoseob told her, laughing.
  "Too cute," Dongwoon added.
  "She looks like a doll," Hyun Seung said.
  "Stop it," She said, smacking their arms.
  Junhyung tugged down her cap, covering her eyes. She pulled it back up and punched his stomach. Doojoon placed his hands on the side of her head and started swaying her. She shoved him lightly. And then they all started teasing her.
  I felt a pang of jealousy. They were all so casual with her. I couldn't be that way, because there would always be a touch of awkwardness. I wanted to be like them so bad that my eyes watered.
  We took the private plane to Japan. This time, Lia sat with us. We talked, we joked, but Lia and I never directly spoke to each other. I felt a heaviness inside bringing me down.
  When we reached Japan, it was already night time. A bus was waiting for us. Since there was a camera recording our arrival, Lia walked a few distance away from us. She insisted on doing that. In the bus, she sat at the very back, with the crews. The kids and I sat at the front, recording.
  Halfway to the hotel, the camera man stopped recording. Beast were left alone. I glanced at the back of the bus. She sat at the last row, beside manager hyung, sleeping. Her head kept tilting towards manager hyung's shoulder. She must be exhausted.
  I got up and went to the back.
  "Hyung, can I sit here?" I asked manager hyung softly, not wanting to wake Lia up.
  "Wae?" Hyung asked.
  I didn't say anything, just looked at Lia and then back at manager hyung. He understood and scooted over. I sat beside her, and then, gently and carefully, I pushed her head onto my shoulder. Her head was fully leaning against my shoulder now, and she didn't wake up. I gazed at her face for a moment. How could someone sleep so beautifully?
  Manager hyung nudged my side. "Gi Kwang-ah, be careful. There's a reporter at the front. Stop looking at your wife like that."
  "Oh, arasso. Mian."
  For extra precaution, manager hyung covered Lia's face with a small towel while she slept on my shoulder. So that if the reporter suspects anything, she wouldn't be able to take Lia's picture atleast.
  When we arrived at the hotel, Lia woke up instantly. She looked a little lost at first, but then I saw realisation in her eyes and she sighed.
  "Is this where we're staying?" She yawned, covering .
  "Hmm..." Without saying anything else, I got up and went to the front, because it was time for recording again. I felt her eyes on me all the way to the front.


 >Lia<
  When did he move to the back? And why didn't I realize that I was sleeping on his shoulder? That was all I could think of when we headed to the hotel.
  Gi Kwang-goon had requested that he stayed in the same hotel room as Beast. The manager wanted to give a studio room for me alone, but Beast insisted that I stayed together with them. So the manager booked a family apartment hotel room for us.
  The master bedroom had a king size bed, the second room had a queen size bed and the last room had two single beds.
  "This room will be mine and Lia's," Gi Kwang-goon announced, pointing to the room with two single beds.
  My eyes bulged out. "What? We're sharing a room?"
  "Of course," he said nonchalantly.
  He grabbed his and my bags from the living room and dumped them in the room.
  I tugged on Yoseobie's sleeve and whispered, "do I really have to share a room with him? I mean, he has a girlfriend."
  He watched Gi Kwang-goon for a moment and then he turned to look at me. "Don't worry, L. It's a single bed anyway. You won't be sleeping side by side."
  I was reassured, just a little.
  That night, we ordered a delivery meal for dinner and was supposed to rest. Tomorrow, Beast had rehearsals in the afternoon. I was supposed to follow their schedules.
  I pumped the pillows before lying down on the bed to go to sleep. A few minutes later, Gi Kwang-goon entered the room. We were in total silence as we settled down.
  I closed my eyes and tried to sleep. I was almost falling into unconsciousness when there was a knock on the door.
  I glanced at Gi Kwang-goon. He was lying on his side, his back to me. I got up and opened the door.
  Doojoon and Hyun Seung stood there, hands at their side, smiling innocently at me. I cocked my head to the side.
  "Waeyo?"
  "Hi! we'd like to borrow one blanket," Doojoon said.
  "What for?"
  "We don't have a blanket in our room and it's freaking cold," Hyun Seung explained.
  "Ah, andwae!" Gi Kwang-goon suddenly sat up and cried.
  "Waeyo?" Doojoon yelled back at him.
  "We both need our blankets. How are we supposed to share a blanket when we're sleeping way apart?"
  "Gwaenchana, Gi Kwang-ah." I went back to my bed and took my blanket. "I'll sacrifice my blanket for both of you." I gave it to Doojoon and Hyun Seung.
  "But, what about you?" Doojoon asked me.
  "Don't worry, I'm a survivor. I'll figure something out to keep myself warm."
  "Kumawo Lia!" Doojoon said.
  "You're the best," Hyun Seung added.
  I closed the door. It was cold tonight. Freezing, actually. Switching on the lights, I searched for my hoody in my bag.
  "Oh, shoot." I didn't bring it. There was only a leather jacket that wouldn't help keep me warm enough. Sighing, I wore it. At least there was something .
  I switched off the lights and went back to bed. I hugged my pillow to my chest and curled up my knees. I tried to go to sleep, but it was freezing! I buried my face in my pillow, so that Gi Kwang-goon wouldn't hear my chattering teeth.
  "Lia." I jumped when he said my name. "Come over here."
  "Wh-what for?"
  "Share the blanket with me."
  I frowned. "In that small bed?"
  "It's not like we've never lied down together in a small space before."
  He had a point. But still, he had a girlfriend.
  "I-is it really okay? I mean you ha-have a girlfriend," I shuttered.
  "Just get over here!" He ordered.
  I leaped out of bed and went to stand beside his bed.
  "Get in," he said, scooting over a little to make space for me.
  I did. He covered the blanket over us, and then, to my surprise, put his arm around me. He cuddled me to his chest. I couldn't help it, I buried my face in his chest.
  "You're freezing," he muttered. He caressed my hair and I felt his lip pressed against the top of my head.
  He had a freaking girlfriend for goodness sake! Why was he doing this? He was making my insides churned in confusion.
  He started singing the same lullaby he sang to me that night. His sweet soft voice did it. I choked up on my own feelings.
  A strangled sound came out of me. That sound would always come out from me when I was trying really hard not to cry. Gi Kwang-goon hushed me gently.
  "Everything's going to be alright."
  He was wrong. Nothing was alright anymore. Everything felt wrong.
  "I'm sorry, Lia. I'm so sorry," Gi Kwang whispered to me. It was as if he knew that I was hurting because of him.
  And that made it worse. I gasped, gulping for air.
  "Lia, gwaenchana?" He asked me worriedly.
  "Apa," I choked out. "Pain."
  "What should I do?"
  "Just hold me," I whispered.
  He did. He held me till I succumbed to the darkness.