Chapter 19

My husband, the babokwang!

  •Gi Kwang•
  I woke up feeling a little fatigue and very, very hungry. I sat up, and the towels on my head and neck fell. I looked at my nightstand and saw a glass of plain water. I drank all of it in one shot.
  I didn't forget what happened yesterday. The way Lia took care of me, her gentle hands cupped my face, caressing my hair, the way she was patient with my persistence. I liked it. I really, really liked it. I liked her.
  With a start, I realised that I liked her. More than just friends. I liked her so much that I would miss her even when I didn't see her for just a second. I got up and went out of my room.
  In the kitchen, the radio was on. I carefully walked towards the kitchen and watched Lia. She was at the sink, washing dishes. She sang along to the music. She could sing.
  When she finished washing the dishes, she turned and saw me.
  "Oh, Gi Kwang-ah, how are you feeling?"
  Our song Oasis started playing from the radio. I gazed at her for a long moment. She was beautiful, even without makeup. I hadn't realized how beautiful she was. How did I not see this before?
  "Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, a little scared.
  I walked to her slowly. She watched me carefully. Taking her hand, I twirled her once and then pulled her in. We started dancing to the music.
  She giggled a little. I liked that sound. "Gi Kwang-goon. I don't think you're fine yet. You must still be sick." She laughed again. "Stop staring at my face."
  "I can't help it." I really couldn't. It was like my eyes finally opened. "You're beautiful."
  She looked up at me, her hazel eyes wide. She wasn't smilling anymore. I stared deeply into her eyes.
  "You're beautiful," I repeated.
  Slowly, carefully— my heart beat wildly in my chest— I brought my head down and our lips met. I kissed her softly and slowly, waiting for her reaction. A few seconds later, her lips moved under mine and she kissed me back.
  Oh. Oh. The kiss was... was soo... oh.
  It was so unreal. So out of this world. My whole body burned with just that one kiss. I had never experience anything like this.
  My hand cupped her cheek and I deepened the kiss. She sighed, which made me go crazy. Her hand gripped my shoulder and she went up on her toes.
  The doorbell rang suddenly, and we broke apart. We stared at each other for a moment.
  "Ermm... I'll go get the door," she mumbled and left.
  I touched my lips, feeling the lingering tinglings of Lia's kiss. A slow smile spread across my face.
  "Gi Kwang-ah, gwaenchana?" Doojoon smacked my shoulders, bringing me back on earth.
  "Oh, gwaenchana," I replied.
  Junhyung bumped my shoulder with his. "Ya, you were faking being sick yesterday weren't you? Because you didn't want to go to that talk."
  "I wasn't faking!"
  "How come you're okay today, when we don't have a single schedule?"
  "Because Lia took care of me the whole night."
  Yoseob looked at Lia. "You didn't sleep the whole night?"
  "Nope," she said. Her face was neutral. I didn't know if she was still thinking about the kiss like I was.
  "But you're still going to work?"
  "Yup. I need to. My keomonim is coming in today."
  "But are you going to be alright?" Dongwoon asked.
  "I'll be fine. Don't worry."
  I looked at her and our eyes met. I didn't know if I was just seeing things, but there was a sparkle in her eyes. My heart skipped a beat.

 

>Lia<
  "Park Lia! Are you listening to me?" My keomonim asked, exasperated.
  I started out of my daze. "I'm listening."
  "Repeat what I just said."
  "Repeat what I just said?"
  "You weren't listening to me," she said and sat down on the chair in front of my desk. "Why are you so out of it today?"
  I rubbed my face. "Mian, keomonim. Last night, Gi Kwang-goon was sick. I didn't sleep to take care of him."
  But it wasn't because of that, that I was so out of it. It was because of the kiss. It was amazing. The most amazing kiss I'd ever had. I kept replaying it in my head. But what did it mean, though? What were we now? Are we supposed to be more than friends now? Or was it just nothing? Just a palyful kiss? It didn't feel like it though.
  "Lia."
  I blinked. "Yes, Keomonim."
  "The deal we've made with H&O holdings, they want to change a little. The plans, the buildings..."
  And I zoned her out again.


 •Gi Kwang•
  I got out of my apartment to go to Beast's apartment. I was almost there, was just about to take off my second shoe when the elevator dinged. I glanced back, thought it was one of the kids. But a girl stepped out of the elevator. And it wasn't Lia.
  It was Min, from the girl group Miss A. I liked her once, because she was cute and she danced really well. But right now, there was only one girl I couldn't stop thinking of.
  "Oppa!" She called.
  I glanced around for a moment, to make sure that she was talking to me and not someone else.
  She came up to me. "Oppa, gwaenchana?"
  "I'm fine, Min. What are you doing here?"
  "I heard that you were really sick. They said you had cancer. It's all over the news."
  "That's just rumors. I'm fine. I had a fever. You came here just to ask me that?"
  "Ani. I came here to pay you a visit. Oppa, why didn't you reply my text? I called so many times too, but you never picked up."
  We used to contact each other and we went out on a date once. I liked her, but I realized straight away after the first date that it was not going to work. I told her that. But I think she refused to acknowledge that.
  "Min-ah. I told you to stop texting me didn't I? I told you, it wasn't going to work."
  "What? I didn't hear you right, Oppa," she said.
  I knew she heard me perfectly well. "Min—"
  I was interupted when she suddenly kissed me.


 >Lia<
  "Oh, Lia. Wassoa?" Hyun Seung said.
  "Hmm-mm..."

  I closed the car's door and went to the back of the car. "Hyun Seung-ah, Yoseobie, help me with these boxes will you?"
  They went down the few steps from the apartment's lobby and helped me carry the boxes.
  "What's all this?" Yoseob asked me.
  "My work stuff. I need to finish this off by this week." The elevator opened and we went inside. I sighed heavily.
  Hyun Seung hoisted a little the box he was carrying and asked, "Wae, Lia? Why did you sigh like that?"
  I smiled at him. "It's nothing big. Just that the clients I get nowadays are so fickle minded. They kept wanting to change the arrangements of the buildings and all. And they don't have the intiative to come down to my office to discuss this with me in person. They wanted to discuss this thing over the phone. I got so fed up today that I acted as if the line wasn't clear and hung up."
  They laughed.
  "Sinja?" Yoseobie asked me in disbelief.
  "Really." I held my handphone to my ear to demonstrate. "I was like "chechecheh... I'm sorry Mr chechechec... Ling chechecheche... I can't chechecheche... hear cheche you.." and then I hung up."
  They laughed hard. Yoseobie stomping his feet as he laughed. The elevator door opened and we walked out.
  At the corner of my eye, I saw something. I turned just in time to see Gi Kwang-goon breaking off a kiss with another girl.
  My heartbeat stopped.
  Yoseobie and Hyun Seung's laughter died down immediately. They too, saw what I saw. Gi Kwang-goon looked up and saw me. He froze. The girl turned around. I knew this girl. She was from a girl group... Miss A?
  "Oh, Yoseob oppa, Hyun Seung oppa," She greeted the two guys behind me. She looked at me and her head cocked to the side. "Who's this?"
  Gi Kwang-goon was watching me. Yoseob and Hyun Seung were watching me too. They were anticipating my reaction. Were they expecting me to rip the girl's hair out for kissing my husband?
  I took a deep breath. And smiled.
  "Hello. I'm Lia, Beast's neighbor/maid/chef. You're Min, right? From Miss A?"
  "Ne."
  I smiled again. "Are you Gi Kwang's girlfriend?"
  She looked down and tucked her hair behind her ear, smiling coyly. "Ne."
  Gi Kwang's eyes were wide. Yoseob's head snapped towards him. Hyun Seung's mouth dropped. Something inside me broke.
  I kept the smile on my face. "I see." I looked at Gi Kwang, my smile still on. "You should have told us you're bringing your girlfriend over."
  "No, Lia-ah. Min—" Gi Kwang started to say but was interupted by his girlfriend.
  "I came over without telling him. It was a surprise," she said.
  "Oh. Would you like to stay for dinner?" I asked her.
  Yoseobie's head snapped towards me this time.
  "What?" Hyun Seung exclaimed.
  "Can I really stay?" Min asked hopefully.
  "Of course," I replied.
  "Okay then!"
  "Wait with Beast will you? I'll prepare dinner as fast as I could."
  I turned and headed to my apartment. Yoseobie and Hyun Seung followed me slowly. I didn't know what to think. So, this morning's kiss was nothing. He was just playing with me.
  When we were inside, I led the guys to my room to put down the boxes.
  "Ya, Lia! Why did you ask her to stay for dinner? Aren't you angry that she was kissing your husband? How can you be so casual about all this?" Hyun Seung demanded.
  "Gi Kwang is only my husband on the paper, Hyun Seung-ah," I said. I hoped they couldn't hear the pain in my voice. "I don't care if he has a girlfriend."
  "I don't understand girls," he muttered under his breath and went out.
  I thought Yoseobie left too, but when I turned around, he was still there. Hands folded, watching me.
  "Oh, Yoseobie. Help me with the fishes will you?"
  "You're hurt," he said.
  I frowned. "I'm not hurt. I didn't fall or anything just now."
  "Not physically. Emotionally. You like Gi Kwang. But he has a girlfriend."
  I pursed my lips. "I don't want to talk about it, Yoseob-ah. Please?"
  He stared at me a little longer, and then nodded.

   I should have expected this. My life wouldn't ever end with a happily ever after. Besides, I'd told him to not fall for me didn't I? So why was my heart hurting so bad?

 

    Thanks for subscribing and commenting and reading this!