A burden

In a Super Junior World

Donghae’s POV:

“Oh hyung!” he looked up from the orange that he was peeling. “Jessica ssi.”

“Y- You came?”

“Yeah, I just arrived. I got here just when Kyuhyun hyung was on the phone,” he said, his gaze returning to the apple.

“Where is he now?” I asked, setting her backpack down onto the couch I slept on.

“In the bathroom,” he nodded to the other door on the right of the room.

“Hyun Jung ah, you feeling alright?” I asked, approaching her. She just nodded her head wearily. Her lips were pale and her face was gaunt.

“Omo, Hyun Jung ssi, your leg looks really bad. Will it affect your ballet?” Jessica cooed. Sadness flickered in her eyes as she wordlessly looked away, clenching her fist.

“Jessica, be quiet,” I warned.

“Ah,” Jonghyun held a piece of orange out. Wordlessly, she opened and chewed just as Kyuhyun came out from the bathroom.

“Hyung, I have to talk to you,” Kyuhyun said. I nodded and followed him out of the room.

“What is it?” I asked, sitting on the chairs lined up against the wall.

“The doctor came in not long ago, telling her about her condition. And.. She didn’t take it very well,” he sighed. “It’s like she’s going into depression over this or something. And I’m not surprised if she does eventually.”

“But her injury will heal, there won’t be any permanent damages.”

“To a ballerina, any form of damage to their legs, whether permanent or not, is as good as being crippled. Besides, it’s not just a week we’re talking about, it’s four months without ballet,” he sighed.

“Look, I’m sure the members will figure out some way to cheer her up. In the mean time, if she really does go into depression, we’ll look for a counsellor, okay?”

“Arasso,” he nodded and we went back into the room. Jessica was sitting on the couch checking her nails and Jonghyun was cleaning up the table.

“Hyun ah, I got your stuff all in here. Wookie packed them, I didn’t know what to put. Check it and tell me if there’s anything missing,” I handed her the backpack. She set it on her lap and ped it. After spending some time checking her items, she zipped the bag up again.

“It’s all here. Thanks,” she said softly. I took the bag from her and put it back onto the couch.

“How is she?!” Heechul burst into the room. “My baby!”

“Hyun Jung ah, you’re okay!” Sungmin cried and ran up to her. The boys all crowded around her and engulfing her in tight hugs. With a straight face, she patted some of them lightly on their backs.

“Tch. She didn’t die,” Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Shut up,” Heechul scolded before I could. “Dongsaeng, if you have nothing nice to say then just leave. Nobody wants you here anyways. Donghae, why did you even bring her.”

“Fine, I’ll leave,” she stood up and took her purse. “Come on, Donghae oppa, let’s go.”

Instantly all eyes were on me. “I’m not going anywhere, not with you. I’m staying to watch over Hyun Jung. If you want to go, go by yourself.”

With a huff, she stormed out of the room and the attention was back to Hyun Jung.

“The hospital food here so I made you some food, eat it, okay?” Ryeowook curled a lock of her hair behind her ear and cupped her cheeks. She nodded briefly and he let go with a sigh. The members bombarded her with questions to which she gave one worded replies or short sentences. They knew something was off but they had the sense not to ask about it.

“Hyun Jung?” a soft voice interrupted all conversations.

“H- Hannah,” fresh tears welled up in her eyes as Hannah came running towards her and hugged her. She whispered something to Hannah and she let go.

“Hyun Jung and I need to have a word. Could all of you leave the room?”

End of POV

 

Hyun Jung’s POV:

“Who did it? Who pushed you?” Hannah asked as soon as they left.

“I- I don’t know. All I know it was a girl, long hair and white dress,” I said, trying to recall the image before I out.

“Did she say anything?”

“‘Hands off my man’ was what she said. I don't even know what she meant by that! Have I been clinging onto anybody's boyfriend lately? All I know it wasn't intentional. I don't even talk to a lot of guys in school,” I wiped my tears away. “Hannah, my career is ruined. I’m done for.”

“No you’re not. The injury isn’t permanent. With extra care, you’ll recover in no time, alright?” she squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

“I’m just as good as crippled. Depending on the members for the next four months? I’m going to be a burden to everyone. I’m a burden, Hannah, a burden. All I do is bring trouble and make others worried. I’d rather be useless than see them fussing over me. They already don’t get enough sleep, they’ll lose they’re measly two hours of sleep taking care of me. They’ll insist on watching over me 24/7.”

“Who says you have to depend on the members? Have you forgotten about me? And Jonghyun? Have you forgotten about the fact that I’m your best friend and I’d do anything and everything for you to be happy? Jonghyun too, the guy was on the verge of tears last night while waiting for you. You know we’d be there for you, anytime and anywhere without thinking you’re a burden. You’re not one, okay?”

“I’m gone, Hannah. Gone!" She pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back soothingly while I cried and cried. Tears stopped after awhile and Hannah lay my head back onto my pillow and I fell asleep. 

The members came home from a schedule while I was trying to pull out a glass of milk from the fridge. I ended up dropping it and the shattered glass and milk were all over the floor. Kyuhyun quietly came over, no smile, no words. He swept up the glass and used the cloth to clean the spilt milk. Again, like a robot, he pushed my wheelchair into my room and put me to sleep. Outside, I could hear them talking. About me.

Can we just leave her somewhere on the streets? She can’t even get a glass of milk for herself. I’m so tired cleaning up and watching over her, the schedules aren’t helping either,” Kyuhyun complained. I shut my eyes tighter, hoping Siwon or Leeteuk would speak otherwise.

“Exactly. All she ever does is make messes everywhere. I can’t even clean up after myself, and I have to clean up after her,” Ryeowook sighed.

“She’s a burden,” Donghae spat.

“Yah! What’s wrong with you? Are you okay?” I opened my eyes to see a worried Heechul.

“I- I’m fine,” I said.

“Are you sure? You’re sweating a lot, did you have a bad dream?” he asked, wiping sweat off my forehead.

“I’m okay,” I took his hand away. “Can you— Never mind, I’ll get it myself.”

I reached for the jug of water and shakily poured it into the glass cup by the side. Heechul watched as I struggled to keep the water from splashing out. He quickly took the jug from me when the cup started overflowing.

“I’ll clean that,” he smiled and went out to get a cloth.

“She’s a burden.”

I bit my lip and threw the blanket over me. Finally sitting up on my own, I draped my non-injured leg over the edge of the bed before slowly and carefully moving the second one over the edge too. Extending my non-injured leg first, my toes came into contact with the cold floor. I used the arm free of the cast to push myself off the edge. I balanced on one leg and slowly crouched down. I used the extra three inches long of my sleeves and wiped the water on the floor, tears blurring my vision. Most of the water had already been absorbed up by my sleeve that was now a dirty black from the floor. I gripped the metal frame of my bed and used my good leg to push myself up. It was hard since my leg barely had any strength.

“Yah!”

 

HAHAHAHAHA. OMG YOU GUYS ARE REALLY FUNNY. All of you were like "SHE LOST HER MEMORY?" and "DID SHE THINK THAT DONGHAE WAS JONGHYUN?" when in reality, it was just Donghae that said "Jonghyun?". MY GOD, YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD I LAUGHED AT YOUR CUTE COMMENTS. Anyways, enough of the caps lock. No, she didn't lose her memory, I couldn't bear for her to erase Donghae from her mind. Please keep those cute comments coming, I like it and it makes my day, tee hee. Oh yeah, did you guys see Hyukkie crying at Sukira? It was their Last Kiss the previous night before Wookie and Ming take over. Poor guy really didn't want to leave. I found myself crying along with him D: