Happy birthday, Fishy!

In a Super Junior World

Donghae’s POV:

Bzz~ Bzz~
 
I groaned and d my nightstand in search of my phone. My eyes hurt from the sudden burst of light in the dark bedroom. I unlocked the phone and immediately changed it’s brightness level before checking out the text. It was an unknown number to my phone. But I’d already memorized it by heart. It was her. She had texted me. I read the words in the white speech bubble.
 
Hey, I’d just like to say happy birthday to you on behalf of the girls. I’m in Japan now, hope you’ll have a birthday full of surprises.
 
I didn’t know what to do or feel. Should I reply her? Should I not? Should I smile that she bothered to text? Should I cry because it’s only on occasions like this that she remembers my existence?
 
“Donghae? You gotta get ready if you wanna reach Mokpo by 10am. Your family must be waiting,” Leeteuk hyung said gently.
 
“Arasso,” I replied, getting out of bed. I got some fresh clothes for a bath. After blowing dry my short hair, I got out for breakfast.
 
“Morning, Hae,” Hyun Jung said, setting plates of omelets down on the table.
 
“Morning, Sunshine. You made it?” I asked, although knowing the answer. I walked into the kitchen to help get the milk and orange juice out.
 
“Obviously,” she said with an eye roll.
 
“What time are you coming back?” she asked, balancing three plates of omelets.
 
“Around four I guess,” I answered, taking the plates from her.
 
“Okay. The boys said we’re eating out. Speaking of those boys, could you and Leeteuk go wake them up?” she asked, washing the pan used to fry the omelet. “I’m kinda busy here.”
 
“Sure,” I said, resisting the urge to hug her from behind. What? I do that to Ryeowook all the time. He’d just splash water at me. I decided to attack Eunhyuk’s room first. He got up pretty easily. I did the same for all the others that Leeteuk didn’t wake up yet. Soon, the members were all done freshening up and sat together for breakfast.
 
“Thank god I don’t have to cook today. I’m so tired and out of it I’d set the kitchen on fire,” Ryeowook mumbled, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.
 
“Anytime, oppa, anytime,” Hyun Jung chuckled, earning a childish and half asleep grin from Ryeowook. Breakfast was over pretty quickly, Shindong and Siwon volunteered to wash the dishes. I got changed and headed out after bidding goodbye to everyone.
 
End of POV
 
Hyun Jung’s POV:
 
15 October, 2011. Today’s Donghae’s birthday. I smiled at my Hello Kitty calendar hung on my wall. Today’s date was circled in red marker to remind myself of the special occasion. The members also have been preparing for today. And since Donghae’s father left the world, we wanted to do everything in our power to dispose of his loneliness, since he was the type that felt lonely easily. I got up early, making breakfast for the boys.
 
“Morning, Hae,” I said, setting plates of omelets down on the table.
 
“Morning, Sunshine. You made it?” he asked, walking into the kitchen to help get the milk and orange juice out.
 
Obviously,” I said, rolling my eyes.
 
“What time are you coming back?” I asked, balancing three plates of omelets.
 
“Around four I guess,” he answered, taking the plates from me.
 
“Okay. The boys said we’re eating out. Speaking of those boys, could you and Leeteuk go wake them up?” I asked, washing the pan I used to fry the omelet. “I’m kinda busy here.”
 
“Sure,” he said. Soon, the members were all done freshening up and sat together for breakfast.
 
“Thank god I don’t have to cook today. I’m so tired and out of it I’d set the kitchen on fire,” Ryeowook mumbled while rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.
 
“Anytime, oppa, anytime,” I chuckled, earning a childish and half asleep grin from Ryeowook. Breakfast was over pretty quickly, Shindong and Siwon volunteered to wash the dishes. Donghae changed and headed out after bidding goodbye to everyone.
 
After eating with them, Kyuhyun and I changed to head to the mall. His driving had improved tremendously, seeing how there was no need to cling on for my dear life, not that it was worth living anyway. We both walked into the mall together, disguised in wigs and sunglasses. I had my hair tucked into a black shoulder length wig and Kyuhyun just refused to wear one. I asked Kyuhyun about what he would be getting, but he was too busy listening to the call of his beloved video games just to his right, to listen to his sister. He walked towards the store, leaving me to search for a gift on my own and probably for him too, since he’d obviously forget the task at hand. I wandered around the second floor of the mall, then I realized something important.
 
I didn’t know what he liked.
 
I pulled out my iPhone, dialing Kyuhyun’s number which I’ve memorized by heart.
 
“What does he like?” I asked, glancing into random shops.
 
“What does who like?” his voice sounded distant and uninterested. Not surprising, he was literally bathing in the latest video games.
 
“What do you think? Obviously Donghae, moron,” I snapped.
 
“Uhh, he likes those checkered shirts. According to Eunhyuk, he’s worn checkered shirts of different colours for almost a year.”
 
“Since he has so many of those kinds of shirts, why should I get him more? It’s pointless,” I rolled my eyes
 
“Then may— I’ll talk to you later,” he said in a hurried manner, a beep following his sentence. I grit my teeth and pulled the phone away from my ear.
 
“You do not just hang up on me like that, stupid Cho Kyuhyun! Videos games are more important than your sister huh?!” I ranted at the wallpaper of Donghae and I. People gave me weird looks to which I responded by giving them a dirty stare. I sighed and shoved my phone into my jean pocket before putting my hands in the pockets of my hoodie, frowning as if the world had wronged me. I took the escalator up to the third floor in hope of finding something suitable for Donghae. Stupid Kyuhyun was of no help whatsoever! I was casually looking into random shops when something caught my eye. It was a watch. Yes, I know, boring and typical as a gift for a man. This was different. It looked ordinary, but something was just screaming at me to take a closer look. The staff greeted me when I walked into the shop, smiling and nodding at her, I quickly made my way to the table which the watch was displayed on. I pulled my hand out to reach for the box. Just as I touched it, another hand made a grab for it.
 
I held onto the box tightly and looked up at the person, a slight frown evident on both our faces. I was thrown back when I saw her. The girl looked not much older than me, a year, or two at most. And she looked somewhat familiar. As if I’ve seen her somewhere before. Her caramel brown hair flowed in gentle curls, covering a third of her back. Her bangs swept her forehead in an elegant manner. Needless to say, her sense of fashion was great, a pair of sunglasses covered half of her petite face, a brown vintage bag was slung on her right shoulder, a casual and fashionable white button blouse and a pair of black skinny jeans finished off with a matching black pair of 3 inch heels. She was perfect. Too perfect. Her curves and outward appearance made me feel so inferior. I felt.. ashamed. That was how much of a beauty she was.
 
“I’m sorry miss, but I had my eyes on it,” I said, tightening my grip.
 
“I know,” her voice sounded peaceful and melodious. “But today’s the birthday of one of my closest friends for 6 years. I’ve done him wrong and I wanted to use today to make it up to him, and possible get back together with him. Please, could you let me have it? He likes watches like these and it’s the last one.
I’d really appreciate it if you let me have it.”
 
As much as I wanted to push her away and claim the watch for myself, I felt the girl. She seemed so eager and desperate to make up to whoever she was talking about. Besides, she looked like a really nice and sincere girl. I sighed and let got of the little box, “okay then. I hope the both of actually do get back together then. If not I’d be mad because I gave it up to you for nothing.”
 
Her laugh sounded so angelic, I felt like a little child in her presence. “Thank you. I really appreciate this.”
 
“No problem. I’ll get going now, so.. bye,” I said. We shook hands and she left to pay while I left to hunt for another gift. After half an hour, I settled for another watch. It didn’t appeal to me like the other one did, but it was still nice. I managed to fish Kyuhyun out from another game store and surprisingly, he had a gift for Donghae in his hand and in the other, a paper bag full of video games. And the last time I checked, he was 23. I decided not question whatever he got since it’d most likely be something ridiculous like a spatula or something. Donghae wasn’t back yet and he wouldn’t be until 4pm, since he was spending time with his mother and brother in Mokpo. We decided to eat out instead, since we were too lazy to decorate and make food. At about 4.15, Donghae came back. All of us took turns to shower and get ready. I decide to wear this,
 
 
 
I got into the car with Leeteuk, Heechul, Yesung, Siwon, Kibum and Eunhyuk. They all seemed to be talking about something I had no knowledge of. Even the quiet Kibum was pretty excited. I overheard some whispers like “when is she coming?” and “Donghae would love us.”
 
“What are you guys talking about?” I interrupted.
 
“Oh right, we forgot to tell you,” Kibum said.
 
“So tell me!” I said.
 
“No, you’ll see for yourself,” Leeteuk grinned. I grumbled to myself and decided to listen to music, since the car ride would be a pretty long one. I must’ve fallen asleep since Heechul was shaking me awake. I kept my earphones and handphone in my purse and got out of the van. The restaurant looked like a little house from the outside. It had a little chimney and a triangular roof. There was even a miniature garden and fence around it. The other van containing the remaining members pulled to a stop in the parking lot next to us. We walked in and straight pass the long queue, earning a few looks of dissatisfaction from the people.
 
“Reservation under the name of Park Jungsu?” Leeteuk spoke in a hushed manner to the staff. She flipped through the pages clipped onto the clipboard and nodded. She then led us through the restaurant to a little room at the corner. Hmm, privacy huh, typical idol ways. He thanked her and we went in. I took a seat beside Kyuhyun and Heechul. It was a big rectangular table and below it was a big hole for us to put our legs in. It was Japanese style, but they served Korean food. Donghae and Eunhyuk excused themselves for the washroom. Soon after they were a safe distance from our private room, Leeteuk got up from his seat and poked his head out the sliding door, gesturing for someone to come over. I turned to look at the reactions of the members, none of them seemed to question what the eldest was doing. Instead, they seem to have prior knowledge about it, seeing how they had grins and smirked plastered onto their faces. Who the hell is coming to join us?! My question was answered when a man in sunglasses strolled in. He removed his eye accessory, revealing his face. Hankyung was back! Well, I had no time to rejoice over that when another person stepped in. It was a lady. Not just any lady. She was freaking Jessica Jung! Wait.. Isn’t she Donghae’s ex?!
 
“Annyeong oppa,” she smiled. How angelic.. She suddenly turned to me. “Oh! It’s you!”
 
“I don’t think we’ve met..” I muttered. She smiled wider and rushed up to my side.
 
“Yes we have! Today, at the mall,” she said excitedly.
 
“At.. The mall?” I paused. “Oh! Oh my god, you’re her!”
 
“Finally you remembered me, silly. It’s only been a few hours,” she giggled. She seemed really friendly and bubbly.
 
“Donghae’s coming back! Quick get ready!” Leeteuk said. Jessica immediately stood up while the rest of us sat at our places. The door slid open, revealing Donghae and Eunhyuk. Donghae’s eyes traveled to where Jessica was standing. His face had mixed expressions. Sadness, longing, anger, and shock.
 
Jessica smiled sweetly, “Oppa.”
 
“S- Sica.. What are you doing here?” he muttered.
 
“For your birthday, of course,” she smiled.
 
“B- but, I thought you were in Japan?”
 
“I lied,” she shrugged.
 
“S- So why’d you come here?”
 
“Because,” she walked towards him. “I want to start over with you.”
 
At this sentence, the puzzles immediately started to click together. The mall. The watch. What she said to me this afternoon about getting back together. Coming here. It was all beginning to make sense. She was going to get back together with Donghae. And I even hoped for her to succeed in getting back together with him. I felt like coming in between them, telling her to get out and leave Donghae alone, that he’s mine. But I couldn’t. Not when all the members are watching. Not when I saw how happy Donghae was. I couldn’t do anything but sit here and pray Donghae wouldn’t take her back.
 
“With me?” he mumbled.
 
“Yes. With you, Lee Dong—” her sentence was cut short when Donghae pulled her into his arms, into a kiss. The boys cheered and whistled. I was dumbfounded. Donghae actually took her back? After all the signs of him having feelings for me? After my heart had grown so used to his cheesy lines and romantic acts? After all that, he took her back? Without even thinking twice? I should’ve known better not to believe what he said to me. But why am I upset? Who am I to feel hurt? What was I to him? And more importantly, who was he.. To me?
“Hyun Jung, why are you crying?” Kyuhyun asked. Everything stopped and their attention was focused on me. I couldn’t take my eyes off Donghae.
 
Looking him in the eye, “I’m just.. Really touched.”
 
The members bought it, and so did he. At least, he acted like he did. I don’t really know.
 
“Excuse me, I’ll head to the bathroom,” I smiled slightly. “Congratulations, hope you’ll bs a happy couple.” I rushed to the bathroom and washed my face. I took a deep breath and gave myself some mental encouragement. I was to face them for the rest of dinner.
 
The members were in the middle of placing their orders. Jessica wouldn’t stop clinging onto his arm. I don’t hate her. She’s pretty, nice and sweet. They were perfect for each other. While I, had average looks, rude, mean and violent. I was in no place to compete for him, so leaving them alone would save lots of drama. The food came and Kyuhyun filled my plate. All I could do now was look to Kyuhyun for comfort without making it too obvious. I felt my phone vibrate in my purse. I got it out and found a text from Donghae. I looked up at the man sitting directly opposite me. He looked straight into my eyes, as if to say “reply me”. I broke our gaze and typed a reply.
 
Hey, what’s with you?
 
Me? I’m fine, what are you talking about.
 
Are you sure?
 
100%. You should probably change your wallpaper. She’d misunderstand.
 
You’re right. But how’d you know? 
 
I just happened to see.
 
Okay then. Feel better. 
 
I’m feeling fine anyways.
 
After that, he didn’t reply. When I told him to change his wallpaper, I actually hoped for him to say “I don’t care. I like it.” But I guess I was hoping for too much. Dinner went by in a flash and after the cake, the guys gave Donghae their gifts. Leeteuk, Heechul and Shindong gave him boxers, much to his embarrassment and their amusement. Eunhyuk and Yesung gave him clothes. Siwon gave him an iPhone 4 since he was the most wealthy among us.
 
“Yah, are you crazy? It’s so expensive!” Donghae said.
 
“Anything for hyung~” Siwon acted cute. Kyuhyun and Kibum gave him a video game, which was rather childish of him, in my opinion. Ryeowook gave him an apron, causing an uproar of laughter. Hankyung said he left a whole lot of Chinese food in the fridge at the dorm. Yesung and Kangin gave him a pair of sneakers that he’d always wanted. Then, Jessica presented the watch that I’d given up for her. I looked at my gift and felt pathetic. Donghae smiled and immediately put the watch on. Seeing that, I didn’t want to present it to him, or he’ll feel bad about which watch to wear. The members looked at me expectantly and I quickly hid the box in my purse without them noticing.
 
“I.. I didn’t get you anything so I’ll buy you this dinner,” I smiled.
 
“That’s impossible, you went shopping with me just now,” Kyuhyun said, earning more confused looks from the members.
 
“I didn’t find anything,” I shrugged. “I got my paycheck from work and I figured I’d just buy dinner.”
 
“Sounds awesome to me. I’m gonna order more food,” Donghae smirked.
 
“Tsk. Greedy little Donghae. Sure, sure, order as much as you want,” I smiled. The member’s expression brightened up, they quickly flipped through the menu again. I smiled, looking at the boys when something warm slipped into my hands. I looked up at Kyuhyun.
 
“I know you got him something, why didn’t you give it?” he whispered.
 
“I’ll explain later,” I whispered back. Kyuhyun gave my hand a little squeeze and nodded, not letting go.
 
“Yah, shall we have a drinking competition?” I suggested. The members seemed to be all for it. Those who were driving opted out of the competition.
 
“Those who get drunk are eliminated,” I said. They nodded and ordered a bunch of soju. They seemed to be able to hold their alcohol well. The first one out was Yesung. One by one, the members got drunk and it was only left with Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, Kangin and I. The four of us were equally drunk so Siwon declared it a draw. It got late so we piled onto the car and headed home.
 
End of POV
 
Donghae’s POV:
The clear headed ones, namely Siwon, Kibum, Leeteuk and I had to carry the four— Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, Kangin and Hyun Jung— that weren’t sober enough to walk. And they claimed to be the best drinkers among all of us. Siwon got Kangin, Kibum had fellow maknae, Kyuhyun, Leeteuk had Ryeowook and I was left with Hyun Jung. I wasn’t complaining since she was light and easy to carry. We had dropped Jessica off at her dorm before coming here.
 
Hyun Jung was knocked out ages ago, so it was easier to carry her. I set her down on her bed. She looked so peaceful, like an angel. I had just tucked her in and turned off the light when I heard a thud. She had fallen of the bed.
 
“Aww, ,” she groaned, clutching her head.
 
“Yah, are you okay?” I said, rushing over, helping her up.
 
“K- Kyuhyun?” she squinted at me, groping my face
 
“No, it’s Donghae,” I replied, helping her to the bed.
 
“Don’t lie, I know it’s you Kyuhyun. Oh yeah, I was supposed to explain it to you. Okay, I got this really nice watch for Donghae and then this girl said she needed it, so I gave it to her, and that girl was Jessica. So when she showed up just now, I was really shocked and when Donghae kissed her, I don’t know, I was hurt and angry. I didn’t want to put Donghae in a difficult position so I lied about not getting him anything when I actually got another watch for him, wanna see?” she explained slowly and slurred and little here and there. She got up and fumbled through her purse, she got out a box with a ribbon and handed it to me before sitting down. “I got it for him, but I guess you can have it now.”
 
“T- thanks,” I said and took the box from her.
 
“Kyuhyun? I think I like Donghae..”
 
End of POV.