Two

A Royal Curse

Sungmin woke up earlier than usual. He eagerly fixed himself and swiftly went down to fix breakfast for his father. He was surprised and disappointed to see his father already at the table reading the morning paper.

"Ah Sungmin, good morning! Going to work this early?"

"I was going to surprise you with breakfast." Sungmin pouted.

"I was excited to eat together with you, so I beat you to it. Are you going to join me or not?"

"But you are supposed to be resting still." Sungmin said while sulking.

"I could rest anytime I want since I won't be going anywhere this time around."

"Really? You decided to take care of your son at last?" Sungmin asked, laced with humor.

"Of course! This old man finally decided to take care of his healthy and strong son." Sungmin hugged his father from the back while his father was sitting.

"I just missed you so much dad."

He became clingy since his mother died, but he rarely shows it in front of many people. With their status in life, he is expected to act with composure at all time. Not many people know his true character. He reserve his caring and clingy self to his father, while his spoiled and bratty self to Hangeng, the Chinese man guarding the library at night.

Hangeng came to Korea to continue his study in World History. Sungmin always saw him before in the library to do research or investigate the artifacts they found. They became friends since they share the same love for history. When he run out of funds to support his study, the Lee family took him in their care. He was allowed to sleep in a spare storage room inside the building to help with his accommodation. He felt indebted to Mr. Lee and Sungmin, but they didn't impose it to him. He became the night shift guard, and he also at times help with different works in the library and museum. He was one of those people who truly knows Sungmin, and Sungmin takes advantage of it by being childish when they would be alone.

 

"Sungmin, do you have anything scheduled after your work?" Mr. Lee asked.

"Nothing really, but I might start translating the documents later."

"You can postpone the translating. We could do it together later. First, I want you to meet someone. How about you meet us for dinner?"

"Sounds fine. Who is this person anyway?"

"An architect I know. I am planning to build another library in Jeju Island. He was going to talk about his proposals. You also have the same age with him. It would be great if you two could be friends. You really need to extend you social circle."

"Is this the same meeting as the other businessmen's daughters and sons that you forced me to meet?" Sungmin raised his brow in suspicion.

"No, not at all. Unless you want him to be. You are too old now. You should settle down, and I don't care if it's a woman or a man anymore."

"How about a statue?" Sungmin playfully asked.

"As long as you are happy, but I doubt Kyuhyun would want to marry you."

"Father! I was just kidding."

"Just tell me when the wedding would be. I'll cancel my appointments and make sure I'm free that time."

"Father!" Mr. Lee laughed followed by Sungmin.

 

Sungmin's day at the library was different from the usual. He mainly stayed at the lobby staring at Kyuhyun. Up until now, he cannot believe that there would come a time that he would be at the same room as him. Some people were surprised seeing the new statue, while some heard it from the news and decided to see for themselves. Sungmin wanted to prohibit those taking photos or posing near the statue. Good thing they decided to surround Kyuhyun with velvet crowd control rope and placed him on a low wooden pedestal. Everything was going fine until Sungmin saw a hooded person trying to touch Kyuhyun's thigh.

"I'm sorry, but no touching allowed. It applies to all historical artifacts in this building, including that one." Sungmin sternly said.

"So no one is allowed to touch him, not even you?" The person pulled his hands, but refused to look at Sungmin.

Sungmin was left speechless. He looked back at Kyuhyun, and he knows there's nothing else he wanted to do but to hug the statue.

"Have you heard the curse casted upon him?" The person asked once again. Sungmin decided to approach the person.

"There were variations of curses, but they have the same ending.

'A true love's kiss would set him free,

But from midnight 'till sunrise only.

To break the curse, he needed to see

And accept the person who loves him truly.'"

"Exactly. How can he be free from that curse if no one would dare to touch him."

"I can't just let anyone kiss him!" Sungmin protested. He doesn't like that idea at all.

The stranger faced Sungmin for the first time. Sungmin was shocked to see the person's face, but decided not to comment on it. There were traces of scar on his face that could scare children and some people away.

"I'm just saying." The stranger put sunglasses and cap on and turned around to leave.

"Do you know a lot about Kyuhyun and the legend?" Sungmin asked hesitantly.

"Probably more than you know." He replied before walking again.

"Wait! What's your name?" Sungmin asked which prompted the stranger to halt.

"Heechul. I'm Heechul." He turned a bit. "You should remember it. We might meet again." Heechul then left completely.

 

Sungmin left the library to meet his father and the architect on a restaurant. The guy he met, Heechul, kept occupying his mind, as well as what they talked about- kiss. Why he didn't thought of that? However, where he would find his true love if she was already dead? And why does Heechul looked familiar? People with those kind of appearance are hard to forget, but Sungmin can't point where he exactly met him before.

He arrived, and the architect was waiting for them already, though his father was still not there.. He tried calling his father, and he told them to start ordering already, and that he would arrive soon.

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting. My father is on his way. I'm Lee Sungmin. It is nice to meet you." Sungmin said and offered his hand for a shake.

"I'm Choi Siwon, the architect that would be working for your company. It's my pleasure to meet you. Your father talks about you all the time."

"I hope he didn't tell you everything about me. People tend to avoid me after knowing a lot of things." Sungmin said while smiling.

"No, he only said good words about you." Siwon returned the smile.

They were conversing about the new library while waiting for Mr. Lee. Siwon wanted to incorporate modern and historical structure for the new library, as well as a bookstore and café. When the food already came, Sungmin started worrying about his father. Siwon could feel Sungmin's worry, so he tried his best to calm the man down. Sungmin was not able to touch his food, and so was Siwon. It was nearing the restaurant's closing time when someone called Sungmin's phone.

"Yes, this is his son."

"Mr. Lee, I'm afraid to tell you, but your father was involved in a car accident, and he was in a serious condition."

"What!?"

"We are still investigating what happened, but right now he is in the Seoul Medical and Emergency Hospital. Mr. Lee-"

Sungmin cut the call and hurriedly gathered his things.

"What happened Sungmin?" Siwon asked.

"My father... accident." Sungmin was mumbling his words. He was unfocused.

"I'll drive you to the hospital."

"No. You don't have to. I-"

"Look at me Sungmin." Siwon held Sungmin's face. "It's much safer if I would drive you to the hospital."

Siwon drove Sungmin to the hospital. He wanted to hold Sungmin's hand to calm him down, but he was speeding so they could reach the hospital in no time. When they arrived, Sungmin ran inside and left Siwon alone.

Siwon spotted Sungmin waiting outside the operating room. His whole body was shaking. Siwon silently approached and sat beside him. Sungmin uttered silent prayers as they patiently wait for the result. After about five hours, the doctors came out.

"Doctor! How's my father?" The chief doctor did not show any expression.

"We manage to stabilize his condition, but he lost a lot of blood. We cannot tell when he would wake up, but he is a state of coma right now. We did our best. I'm so sorry."

"No! Go back in there and make sure my father would wake up! Please." Sungmin kept begging the doctor, but Siwon was holding him in place.

They were advised to rest and they could visit Mr. Lee when he transfer to ICU. Because of lack of food and energy, Sungmin was forced to follow.

"I would take you home." Siwon offered.

"I would be fine by myself." Sungmin replied tiredly.

"Please Sungmin. I can't rest until I assure that you are safe."

"Can you please just drive me to the library then? I don't think I could go home yet."

"If that's what you want."

 

At the library, Sungmin assured Siwon that he would fine. Siwon insisted to accompany Sungmin, but Hangeng showed up and took Sungmin inside. Sungmin directly went to Kyuhyun's statue.

"Can you leave me alone for a while?" Sungmin requested.

"Sure. I'll check with you later." Hangeng replied and hurriedly left.

When he was alone at last, Sungmin cried and broke down while kneeling on the ground.

"Why? Why would they take my father too?" He was talking to Kyuhyun. "He was fine this morning. He was planning to extend the library, and we are still going to translate the documents. There are still many things I want to do with him together. I can't lose him now. I don't know what will happen to me if I lost him. I don't have many people I could rely on." Sungmin stood up and slowly approached Kyuhyun.

"I only know Hangeng. Siwon seems nice too, but I just met him. You-" Sungmin slowly made his way inside Kyuhyun's arms. "I knew you since I was young. It's like you were a real person to me, but you're just a statue." He stared at Kyuhyun's eye longingly and caressed his hard cheeks.

"Would you turn to a human if I kissed you? Would you be my friend? Would you stay with me?" Sungmin laughed bitterly. "I forgot. You need a true love's kiss, but I'm not her." Sungmin held Kyuhyun's face with both his hands. "I could still try right?" Sungmin kissed Kyuhyun and lost consciousness.

 

 

 

 

a/n: I did not kill the father!!! Hooray! LOL!

What would happen next? Hopefully I could type it within this week. I cannot wait a whole week to update.

Another update that contradicts everyone's schedule! Yay!!! I'm Loki! I do whatever I want! (I wish I own Loki...)