Thirteen

A Royal Curse

The whole library was dim as usual, but the lounge was bright enough to make the room efficient to use. There was no one there yet, but two people walking from the darkness were walking toward it. Kyuhyun and Sungmin came from the storage room to retrieve the documents Sungmin needed to review. Kyuhyun, being a gentleman, helped Sungmin in carrying half of it.

They placed the documents on one table and then gathered Kyuhyun's paper and writing materials before sitting on the table. They sat across, facing each other. When they settled down, they stared at one another, both thinking what to say or do.

"I don't know what Hangeng taught you. It would be easier if you tell me what you know already." Sungmin started. He did not pay attention to his own task as he listen to Kyuhyun."Good. You already knew the basic alphabet. You just have to work on spelling and modern words or terms." Sungmin pouted as he concentrated on how to help Kyuhyun. He never had to teach anyone how to write or read before, so it was quite a challenge for him. He did remember that Hangeng told him that Kyuhyun is an eager and a fast-learning student. He might as well test Kyuhyun's modern knowledge. "Let's write notes to each other. I'll write something, and you respond to your own words. I'll review it afterwards and see how we can improve it."

"I agree with your suggestion." Kyuhyun replied.

Sungmin took a blank sheet of paper and wrote something very simple:

'I am tired.'

Kyuhun read the message and looked at him incredulously.  "We have not even commenced anything yet."

Sungmin frowned at the remark. "If you want to say something to me, write it down." Then he grabbed a file that he needed to review.

Kyuhyun looked back at the paper and scrunched his face as he thought of a proper reply. When he was satisfied with his idea, he wrote it down just under Sungmin's writing.

'Unwind.'

Kyuhyun gave it back to Sungmin, who was already signing one of the documents. Sungmin paused and looked at the response. He was pleased to see that Kyuhyun got the spelling correct, but his words are still a little bit unusual compared to normal people. Before he continued with the rest of the contract, he wrote the first thing that came to his mind.

'Would it be a sin if I run away for a while?'

'You do not have my consent to leave. You ought to help me find Sooyoung.'

Sungmin wanted to reply something in distaste, but thought otherwise. He then just continued the flow of his thought.

'I feel so burdened with responsibilities.'

'Take a break and rest. It is not my intention to inflict unwarranted pressure on you.'

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun's reply and he needed to read it slower than the important documents in his hands because the terms used were harder to understand. Sungmin told Kyuhyun other expressions or phrases that he could use. After that, Kyuhyun took the paper and revised it.

'Relax. I am not forcing you to push yourself.'

Sungmin was amazed on how Kyuhyun adapt and learn so fast. He smiled for a bit, but became serious again as he wrote down his reply.

'People, not only you, are expecting a lot from me, but I'm just a human'

'Ignore them and do what you desire.'

Sungmin commended Kyuhyun before replying. "Good. You are already getting the hang of it." He said it with a sincere smile. Kyuhyun felt pleased on himself. If he keep up his good work, then maybe he could go with Sungmin on another trip around the city, to search for Sooyoung of course.

'I hope I could just abandon my work and live like a normal person.'

'I do not quite understand. Why you cannot pursue your wish?'

'A lot of people need my help; my father, the library workers, other people, and you.'

When Kyuhyun received the paper back, he read it. He looked at Sungmin's previous notes and he was reminded something from the past. He wrote something down and stood up.

'Let us stop here. You should relax for a while.'

Sungmin was surprised at Kyuhyun's actions, but smiled at his concern. Still, instead of taking a break, he continued reviewing the papers that Siwon gave him.

Kyuhyun stood up and walked away from the lounge. When he was far enough, he stopped walking and slouched on the floor while resting his back on one of the shelves. He closed his eyes as he recall the past.

 

Kyuhyun was searching for a wild plant that he could reproduce and sell in the village. To do so, he ventured in the thick part of the forest up the mountain where the palace was built. It was late at night, but the moon's light as well as his torch were his guide. He was not sure where he should journey, but his feet automatically directed him to a secret patch of land. Maybe his fondness over alluring and delicate plants led him to that magnificent spot on top of the mountain. He admired the surrounding while imprinting it to his memory. He walked to the path leading to the pavilion and entered it. While gazing around, he saw a lone scroll. He took it and read the content:

 

I am weary. There is no one to relieve me from my predicaments. I just want an escape; a place, a person, a piece of item that could give me solace. Is it unfitting to ask that much? I just long to live an ordinary life. Their petitions and demands are becoming more excessive and absurd. I am, but a mere mortal too.

This complaint coming from someone who resides in the palace may sound unreasonable. I did not choose to live there. I was just captive from the start. However, instead of be, I should feel more appreciative, right?

I am certainly indebted to everyone surrounding me. Still, I cannot help, but to desire the world outside the palace walls. Is there anyone who could sympathize with me?

I came here with a down spirit, but after leaving this message as well as my negative reflections in this secluded sanctuary that I found, I would leave with a lifted soul. I will hold this place close to my heart, and I would certainly come back here again and again.

 

After seeing the letter, Kyuhyun wanted to see the owner and comfort whoever left the note. No one deserves to feel that way. He may be a meager, but he is happy. Although he was never able to step inside the palace, he always hear stories of how luxurious everyone in that place experience. Even the servants and the slaves fare better than him. He never thought that there's also a high price in exchange for living there.

Running out of idea to help this destitute person, he opted to leave the plant he was carrying that day. He took out the precious tulip from his pouch and placed it where the letter originally was. In return, he kept the letter to himself. He intended to return and write his own reply to lift up the writer's spirit.

 

Kyuhyun felt sorry for Sungmin, especially after realizing that he and Sooyoung were somehow facing the same predicaments. He always forget that Sungmin has a different life outside the library walls. How much was Sungmin's responsibilities was beyond his imaginations. He saw the man translating scrolls dating from his time, reading and reviewing documents that he has no idea what those were about, and managing a building full of books and historical artifacts. Maybe he should act more mildly towards him.

After sorting his thoughts, Kyuhyun decided to return to Sungmin. He found the man dozing on top of the documents. He shook his head. Sungmin must be a stubborn one. He is the type of person that would force himself to please other people no matter what it cost him. He walked closer, contemplating what to do with the helpless man. He carried him before, why not carry him again? Hangeng's bed is much closer than what he had to walk before. Kyuhyun slowly moved Sungmin's arm and placed it around his neck, so he could carry him. He prepared himself before he lift up the man. Then, he made himself sturdy before walking in the dim hallways as he head for Hangen's room. When he reached the room, he opened the door with much struggle. He was a little surprised to see the change inside the room, for he never saw a bed like that before. To make his task easier, he decided to place Sungmin on the middle bed. He was about to let go of the man, but Sungmin held tight.

"No father, don't leave me.... Please... I need you." Sungmin mumbled to his sleep. Kyuhyun observed the man in his arms and he could see him tearing a bit. What is it that's happening with Sungmin that he didn't know? He did not know what made Sungmin like that, but felt apologetic, so he decided to stay. He was just going lie down and wait for Sungmin to calm down in his slumber, but he became comfortable and his eyes slowly closed itself. In no time, he was sleeping together with Sungmin.

 

"We should wake him up now." Hangeng whispered.

"Shh! You're going to ruin the moment." Heechul declined.

"But he'll turn to a statue soon."

"Aish! Kill joy. Wait, I'll have to do something first."

Heechul should feel mad that Sungmin took his side of the bed, but when he saw Kyuhyun was sleeping with him, he felt all giddy inside. He did not know Sungmin has this side of him. He was faster than he thought. After locating Sungmin's phone, he grabbed it to capture the moment. He was shocked to see Kyuhyun as the wallpaper, but there is no time to celebrate. He immediately took a photo of Kyuhyun and Sungmin's sweet moment. Hangeng was just shaking his head, but he did agree that they look good together. After the photo session of Heechul, Hangeng woke up Kyuhyun.

After regaining his senses, Kyuhyun was alarmed to see himself in a quite intimate position with a man. Not only that, there were also witnesses to see it. He quickly stood up and headed to the lobby. While he was walking, he kept denying to himself that he did felt comfortable with Sungmin on his side.

 

 

 

 

a/n: We're nearing the end... :| I tried my best to extend this. ○~○