Thirty-One

A Royal Curse

"Why do you have to pick me up so late? We're bothering Minnie oppa so much." Sooyoung complained as they drove back to Siwon's place.

"I'm resigning." Siwon declared. "They want me to finalize half of Sungmin's project so they can take over the rest."

Sooyoung looked at her brother like he just committed a sin.

"Resign?", she asked indignantly. "Working in the library can't support two people. I thought you don't want to go back to Mr. Choi's house."

"We're not going back to them. They already helped us a lot, and they also have enough troubles with their own child." Siwon reassured. "We're going back to our original and rightful place."

"Wherever that is, I'm not coming with you."  Sooyoung said as she cower from her chair. No. She doesn't want to live anywhere far from Sungmin.

"I know you're not going to agree, but what if Sungmin is coming with us?" Siwon asked although he did not have to; he already knew the answer.

"He's coming with us?" She was amazed. She cannot believe that her brother could convince Sungmin with a decision that big.

"He needs to come with us. He belongs to that place."

"Did you ask him already?"

Siwon stopped at the red light and looked at Sooyoung.  "I'm going to persuade him.  We have to go back to Jeju next week, and I'll try my best to convince him to come. I don't really want him anywhere near Kyuhyun."

Sooyoung felt that her older brother also have affection for Sungmin. She could see it clearly in his eyes. She's threatened that she had to compete with her brother, but she would rather give up knowing that Sungmin would end up with her caring brother than Kyuhyun.

"Please make sure he agrees." Sooyoung replied.

 

Hangeng escorted Heechul back in his room to comfort the man. They stayed inside until Heechul's sobs reduced to sniffles. When Heechul felt a little well, he stood up and headed for the door. Hangeng was sensitive enough not to ask him anything about why he was crying, but he won't take any chances. He was not ready to tell everything. He was not planning to reveal anything at all.

"Where are you going?" Hangeng asked.

"I'm going to look for Sungmin. It's almost one. I'm afraid that Siwon and Sooyoung are still here."

"I'm coming with you."

They went out the room and walked together to search for Sungmin. Heechul wanted to look separately, but Hangeng won't leave him alone. Hangeng was still worrying for Heechul. He won't let Heechul be with himself right now, or anytime soon. Even if it would take them forever to find Sungmin, he would not allow Heechul to leave his side.

They were contemplating whether to look upstairs, at the lobby or at the lounge, but they didn't have to at all. While walking, they saw someone slowly treading at the dark hallway. They could easily tell that it was Sungmin, but they did not approached him immediately. They were puzzled on why would Sungmin walk dejectedly. He was happy when he returned with Sooyoung, then they left him with the girl while waiting for Siwon to come. What could happen to make him sad like that.

"No way." Heechul uttered in a small voice. He quickly ran to Sungmin to examined the man. Hangeng, somehow, understood what was happening, but he prayed that they were wrong. He prayed real hard, for he cannot take another sight of Sungmin's tears.

When Heechul got close, he stopped. He'd seen Minsung and Sungmin cry a lot of time, but this was the worst case. He never saw him in a morbid state before. He broke a lot of heart in the past, but he never saw anyone broken like this.

Seeing Sungmin like that brought his guilt once again. If there's anything that he could do to erase Sungmin's pain or even just lessen the ache, he would do it even if it would cost his life. It was his entire fault after all, wasn't it?

"Sungmin." Heechul called when Sungmin was just a few feet away from him, but the man kept walking forward aimlessly.

Sungmin's  eyes showed that he cannot see them. They doubt that he even heard Heechul. It was as if Sungmin was lost in his own world.

He walked past Heechul and continued walking. Heechul cannot take the pain anymore, and his eyes started tearing again.

Hangeng was hurt, but anger dominated his heart. He didn't know anyone who could do things like this to Sungmin, except Kyuhyun. He clenched his fist as Sungmin walk towards him.  Hangeng stopped Sungmin before he could pass him. He held the Sungmin on his shoulders and looked straight into his eyes.

In the past, it took him a great while before Sungmin showed him his real personality.  Other people saw his perfect and disciplined side, but Sungmin was just as mischievous and playful as other people. Hangeng wanted that side, so he let Sungmin bully him all the time just to see the man laugh and smile for a while.

Looking at his friend now, he could see no happiness at all. He could not even recognize Sungmin. Kyuhyun broke the most kind-hearted person he met in his entire life, and he won't let it pass.

Hangeng hugged Sungmin, trying to comfort the man with his little action. "I'm going to look for him," he said to Heechul. "look out for Sungmin. I'm going to find that bastard." Hangeng broke the embrace and rushed away with heavy steps.

"Sungmin." Heechul whimpered. Still, there's no response from him. Heechul tried holding in his tears, but it hurt too much.

Sungmin was just standing where Hangeng hugged him. He didn't leave the spot, and he was still not showing any reaction. Heechul walked back to Sungmin but not enough to see the man's face. He cannot stand to see the result of his selfishness.

"I'm so sorry." Heechul wept. "This is all my fault. I'm the one who put you all in this mess." He continued, not caring if Sungmin was paying attention or not. "I cursed him, thinking that it would stop Sooyoung from seeing him, and it did. But you, you were devastated when you saw him like that. You cried a river for days, but I was too scared and ashamed to help you." Heechul confessed his sin, letting out the secret he had been hiding. "Every night you sneaked out of the palace just to see him. Not a day would pass without you visiting him. Winter came, but you did not left his side. You always left your coat to make sure he would be warm enough, but you did not mind your own health." Heechul sobbed more as he recall his memory. "I cursed him, but you were the one suffering. At last, I had the courage to approach you, but..."

 

Heechul was hiding behind a cold tree, watching Minsung from afar. He was covered with layers of cloths and animal skins, yet he could feel the chill seeping through his bones. Then there's the princess covering the statue once again with her coat. She made sure that not a single spot of the statue is exposed to the harsh weather. She was not sure if Kyuhyun could feel anything, but she's not going to take any chances.

She tried to get close to the fire she made as near as possible. Still, her skin was pale, and her body was numb. She was camping in front of Kyuhyun, waiting until he turned back in to human even if it meant that she had to leave the comfort of the palace.

The princess was sitting on a log. She hugged herself tighter, trying to conserve her heat as much as possible. She tried her best to stay awake, but her eyes are dropping, and her body was giving up.

She was about to close her eyes when she heard a sound. There was a movement somewhere in the forest. She was alarmed. What if the people found her? What if Sooyoung told them where she was? She must hide herself, but she didn't want to leave Kyuhyun behind.

Minsung stood up when the noise became louder and closer. She moved beside Kyuhyun to defend herself and the man she loved. She'll do whatever it takes to be with him.

"It is only me, my princess. I am nothing but a mere servant. There is no need to be afraid." Heechul spoke once he was visible to the princess. Minsung recognized him, but she wondered why his face accumulated more scar.

"I remember you."

"It is an honor to be recognized by the princess herself."

"What are you doing here?"

"I am here to help you, your highness. I know a way to set him free."

"You do? Tell me what it is." Minsung begged.

"His actions put you through a lot of sufferings. A curse was casted upon him to teach him a lesson:

That insensible man would turn into a stone,

From head to toe, from skin to bone.

A true love's kiss would set him free,

But from midnight 'till sunrise only.

To break the curse, he needed to see,

And accept the person who loves him truly."

Minsung looked at Kyuhyun's pained face. He was not insensible. He was just innocent and wrongly informed. He was blinded by a lie, but he was showing how loyal he could be. Minsung cannot get angry at that.

"A kiss you say?" She asked. She looked back at Heechul who just bowed his head.

Minsung approached Kyuhyun. She removed some of the coats, so she could easily slip herself into Kyuhyun's hold. She cupped Kyuhyun's freezing cheeks looked longingly at his face. Just a kiss, a kiss from his true love, and he would be free this instant although he still have to accept Minsung as the one he truly loves.

Her heart swelled with hope and happiness. She leaned closer, tipped her toes and slowly closed her eyes. She imagined what her life would be if Kyuhyun return to his human form. She was so close that Heechul could see himself with a beautiful face again.

Every fog of her breath now hits the statue. It became less and less visible as she inched closer. Heechul breathe hitched as he anticipates the princess' action. Then his breathing stopped, and so was his dreams. Minsung did not continue the kiss.

"I cannot do this." She said as she bow her head. She distanced herself from Kyuhyun's solid body and put the coats back in its place.

As she imagined her Kyuhyun turning back into a human, her memory only showed her his hateful looks, harsh words and painful actions. She was not ready to experience those thing once again.

"I'm so sorry. I cannot continue this." She apologized more to Kyuhyun than Heechul, for she cannot help him from his curse.

Heechul wanted to force her, to tell her that it is the only answer they have, but he understood her predicaments. He would let her be alone and let her think about it for a while.

"I would make sure no one would see you here. I will come back within three nights and I hope you would be ready by then." Heechul removed his coat and draped on the princess before leaving.

 

When Heechul came back, he saw the princess slumped on the statue's feet. He wanted to scold the princess not for being a coward and not kissing Kyuhyun, but for being too nice and giving his coat to the statue once again. He really wanted to reprimand her, but her bluish and frail body worried him more.

He ran towards the princess and saw her crying weakly. He crouched down and cradled her, warming her with his own heat.

"I tried," she spoke faintly. "I kept trying, but I am afraid he would loath me."

"Shh." Heechul hushed her. "Stop talking princess. It is not your fault."

"I cannot help the man I love. I am worthless. I hate myself."

"No, don't be like this."

Heechul kept hugging her and kept whispering soothing words, but the princess kept crying until she lost her consciousness.

"Princess! Wake up." Her breath became more weaker, and her body colder. "No!"

Heechul panicked. He cannot use his power to heal, nor to kill. He cannot let the people get a hold of the princess because they are going to confine her inside the palace. He ran out of ideas, so he opened a gate. He didn't care where they would go or what generation they would land.

"Open a gate where the princess could recover,

But let there be a time when we could see each other.

Make sure that this statue would meet her again,

So she could remove the curse I casted upon this man."

 

"I tried to help you, but my actions were worthless. I always end up hurting you more. I don't know how I can ever repay you. I'm so sorry Sungmin." Heechul was now kneeling on the floor with lowered his head. He wanted to look up and see Sungmin's reaction, but he was too ashamed and too scared to face Sungmin. His old careless attitude lessen when he met the princess, but now, it completely vanished.

"It's not your fault." Heechul's tears stopped when he heard Sungmin's words. He looked up, but Sungmin was still facing the other way. "Kyuhyun," Sungmin continued, but he had a difficult time uttering the name. His voice trembled, but he resumed. "he- he never loved me from the start. No matter what we do, what you do, he would never love me." Sungmin faced Heechul with fresh tears, but this time, he was smiling.

Heechul's heart crushed once more. Sungmin was not harboring any anger, nor bitterness towards anyone. He would always blame himself, and it only added to Heechul's guilt. Sungmin was giving up on Kyuhyun, and Heechul did not care anymore. Sungmin had enough suffering. He should not force the man to do anything anymore.

Heechul stood up. He was unstable, but he stood up. He hugged Sungmin. He knew it would not help at all, but he held tight.

"It's okay. You did your best. I won't force you anymore. You have proven him your love. It is more than enough. You should find your own happiness." Heechul said. They were both soaking each other's clothes their tears, but they did not mind.

"I would love to do that, but I already find my happiness. Kyuhyun is my happiness."

They stood there in the dark hallway as the hope for the release of their curses slowly getting far and far away.

 

Hangeng ran. He looked everywhere to where Kyuhyun might be, and he ended up in the lounge. He saw Kyuhyun kneeling on the floor, crying his eyes out. He wanted to punch and knock some sense into Kyuhyun, but it looked like he didn't had to. Kyuhyun knew what he had done, and was regretting it.

"I made him cry." Kyuhyun spoke.

"I know. You did a better job this time." Hangeng replied sarcastically.

Kyuhyun looked at him with arrogant face. "I thought you're going to make sure I won't be able to feel, nor recognize my face for weeks? Are those just empty words?"

Hangeng clenched his fist. He stomped near Kyuhyun and harshly pulled the man's cloth. He dragged Kyuhyun up and punched him hard. All of the held anger and resentment were poured out on that one single punch.

Kyuhyun staggered back until he fell back on the floor. The blow hurt, but it was nothing compared to the pain he was feeling. He wanted more. Maybe if Hangeng punch him to death, his body would be numb enough, and he would not feel the sting he was feeling right now.

"That's all that you could do?" He challenged. This time, Hangeng did not advanced to him.

"You think your mistake would be erased and forgiven if you were beaten up? If you really want forgiveness, go ask for it yourself not to me but to Sungmin. You don't owe me anything, but that man, you cannot give enough to pay for your debt to him."

"He is the princess who ruined my life. You don't know the princess."

"And you think you know Sungmin?" Hangeng sneered." His only fault was breaking your first layer of curse. I should have not let Sungmin alone that night. Then maybe, he would never be able to kiss you. Turning you into a human was his biggest mistake." Hangeng said then he turned around. He was about to walk away and leave, but he remembered something. "I was wrong," he looked back at Kyuhyun and continued, "loving you was his biggest mistake."

 

Kyuhyun touched the side of lips, and it was wet with blood. He nursed his bruised cheek and it was wet not with blood but with new tears.

"Why would you break my curse if you cast it on me in the first place." He laughed bitterly at the irony of his life. "Sooyoung told me that you cursed me. She told me a lot of things about you. She won't lie to me. She won't." He kept chanting those words to himself, but he can't believe anything anymore.

He was massagng his lips, and then he remembered Hangeng's words.

"Kiss... Why am I not bothered that he kissed me?"

 

Hangeng returned to where he left Heechul and Sungmin, but they were not there anymore. He went to his room and saw the two male sleeping together on one bed.

Sungmin was holding on to Heechul, not wanting to let go of the man, while Heechul was hugging him protectively. Hangeng wanted to appreciate the scene, but he did not like the reason behind this sweet gesture.

After staring, he looked around the room. He quickly grabbed Sungmin's suitcases and packed his friend's belongings. He would not let Sungmin stay here with Kyuhyun anymore.

He was busy gathering clothes and placing it inside the luggage. When he was done, he looked back at the two sleeping male. Sungmin needed someone to comfort him, and no one else can do it beside Heechul and Hangeng. He would never open up so easily with other people. If Hangeng sent Sungmin far from them, he would only fall deeper into depression.

Hangeng quietly left the room and walked outside the library. He looked up the dark sky and wondered when will the sun rise in Sungmin's life.