Thirty-Five

A Royal Curse

"We're going home today." Sooyoung said as she read the message on her phone. She knotted her brows and huffed. "He should have told me earlier. I haven't clean Sungmin's room yet." She slumped on her chair in the lounge. "I couldn't clean it with Heechul lurking in there anyway. Why won't he leave the room?"

"Uh Sooyoung, we need some help in here," a staff called.

She turned her head and nodded at the man's direction. "Coming!" she hollered. She raised her phone and looked at her tulip phone charm before smiling. "See you soon Minnie oppa. Have a safe trip."

 

She helped around the library until the closing time. Just when everyone left, she remained in the lounge, biting her nails. She was trying to gather her courage to ask permission to clean the room, but her courage seemed hiding from her too. She did went and stand in from of the room, but chickened out at the last minute. Hence, she's staying alone in the lounge.

 She softly gasped when the lights went out, or so she thought. Her "soft" gasp caught Hangeng's attention, which prompted him to check the lounge.

"Oh you're still here?"

"I uh.. whoa. It was just you." She panted. She fidgeted as she continued her words. "I was going to ask for permission to clean Minnie oppa's room before he return, but I think someone's still inside."

"I see. I'll tell them that you'll clean-"

"No!" she cut, "Can you just leave out my name. I'm not really fond of him."

Thinking about Kyuhyun, Hangeng asked, "You don't like him?"

"I don't like him since I first saw his face. He gives me creeps."

"Oh. But the story says... anyway, don't worry. I'll take care of it."

After successfully kicking out Heechul and Kyuhyun out of the room with very vague reasons, Hangeng called Sooyoung to start her work. Who was he to refrain her from cleaning their room for free? She's Sungmin's friend anyway.

She was there inside the room, all alone at last. She inhaled before starting, which was a bad idea since the room was cluttered with dirty laundry. After preventing herself to throw up, she cautiously picked every used clothes and place them in a corner. She then removed the bed sheets and pillowcases to be washed with the garments.

While waiting for the first batch of the laundry, she started dusting, sweeping every nook and corner. She scrubbed when needed. The room was messy but not filthy, so it made her work easier. After about two hours, she paused to collect the dry whites and light-colored fabrics and started another cycle for the colored ones. She continued cleaning diligently, making sure that no spot left untouched.

She was sweeping a particular tricky part, the space under a drawer, when she felt that something got stuck underneath. She kneeled and tried to reach a leather covered cylinder-like stuff. The door opened, but she didn't mind who went inside, for she was far more interested in removing the annoying thing.

Because of its shape, it kept on rolling far from her, so she had to reach farther, but when she finally was able to grab it, she quickly pulled her hand and looked at the abominable thing she was holding. She looked at it. It looked like a scroll from an long time ago, but it looked familiar. She was raking her brain for answers when she heard a familiar voice.

"That is mine." She turned her head and saw Kyuhyun by the door.

"Kyuhyun?"

She looked at the scroll in her hand once again, and her eyes widened with realization. She threw the scroll at a distance and crawled backwards away from it. She cowered and shook in fear.

 

Kyuhyun and Heechul was ordered by Hangeng to get out of the room. He said something about moving their muscles or something like that. They didn't understand because he just practically shoved the two out of the room. After killing time by reading and thinking about Sungmin, he decided to go back, so he could change and go to Sungmin's house.

When he entered the room though, he saw Sooyoung busily reaching something under the drawer. He was about to ask her what she was doing and why she was in the room. Before he could open his mouth, he saw the scroll he took a while ago, the one fell off his torso while he was changing his clothes the first time.

"That is mine," he said.

Sooyoung looked at him, then back at the scroll. The next thing happened surprised Kyuhyun. The frightened girl started pulling her hair, stopping her brain from remembering the past, but it was no use. Kyuhyun tried to approach her, but he was stopped with a scream.

Confused, he walked towards the scroll and grabbed it. It would be his very first time seeing the contents of that scroll from the time he got it.  He carefully removed the wax seal and unrolled the skin. His eyes read the message- Sooyoung's confession, letting it soak as it revealed everything from the past.

 

I should have told you this before. Before everything turned for the worse. But it was too late. You turned into a stone and I already damaged Princess Minsung...

"You were missing again your highness." Sooyoung reminded. She was brushing the princess' golden locks while  Minsung was sitting down with a polished metal on her hand. "I managed to cover for you again, but it won't be long before they start getting suspicious."

I looked at her face. I am pleased that Princess Minsung was finally smiling at her own will, but I was also worried about the source of her happiness.

The first time I noticed that the princess was missing, I was in distraught. They trusted the princess to me, but I lost the royal in my care. I discreetly looked all over the palace, lied about the whereabouts of my master and made sure that no one would find out unless I deemed that the princess was in trouble.

I panicked. The sun was about to rise, but the princess was still nowhere to be seen. I was about to approach a guard when I noticed a hiding figure trying to enter the gates. Without a second thought, I distracted the guards to let the strange person in.

I knew that person by heart. We grew up together, doing almost the same things beside one another. Even if that person cover herself up differently, I would recognize the princess from a distance. When the princess successfully entered the palace, I excused myself...

"Where have you been, milady? What were you thinking, sneaking alone at night?" Sooyoung reprimanded when they reached the privacy of Minsung's room.

"Sooyoung, of all the people here in the palace, I expected you to understand me." Minsung said with a hint of hurt feelings.

"No, I don't understand why would you put yourself in danger. I was worried that you were abducted." Sooyoung vexed.

Minsung placed her hands on her chest, feigning hurt. "You noticed just now that I have been missing? I started going to the mountains days ago."

Sooyoung's heart dropped. Minsung had been slipping in and out of the palace longer than she imagined. Had she been too lenient or was she not capable of taking care of a royalty? She was also hurt that Minsung would hide something like this from her. She thought that they were intimate friends. The princess probably did not trust her, seeing her servant like those people who don't understand her real emotions.

Minsung's face softened upon seeing her friend's appearance. "I was about to tell you my actions, but I know you would not allow me to linger outside the palace walls." Sooyoung looked at her smiles, but noticed her forlorn eyes. "This is my only escape from this suffocating life, and I am far from stopping."

The princess started removing her cloak and gave it to Sooyoung. "I found a small patch of garden on top of the mountain, a sanctuary. When I'm there, I feel like a normal person." Minsung then produced a scroll, a small letter from her bosom. She handed it to Sooyoung and let her servant read the contents. Her servant looked at her questioningly, but remained silent. "And I think I also found my happiness there."

Sooyoung read the letter once again and shook her head. "But you are to be wed with Prince Siwon."

"You know I cannot love him. He is a great person, but I cannot force my heart to accept him. My heart is already captured by Kyuhyun."

The dreamy eyes was a great sign that Minsung was happy, and Sooyoung was glad. But she also has to be careful. "Have you met this Kyuhyun?"

"I have not yet, but I know him already. He's a simple gardener. They sell their plants in the market place during worship and festivals."

"Princess," Sooyoung called in worry. "he is but a commoner."

"I am aware. It does not concern me, for he understands my predicaments."

"Indeed. Anyone would understand a princess, especially if he is wanting something in return."

"Oh but he do not know that I am Minsung, Sooyoung. I have not introduced myself to him, but he is willing to comfort me. He was able to make me happy."

Sooyoung wanted to argue, but she never saw Minsung happy as that. "I still don't trust this man, but promise me that you will be careful."

Minsung's smile grew. She hugged her servant, her friend and whispered gratitude. "Thank you. I promise I'll be careful. If you want, I will show you the place some other time."

 

When Minsung showed me the place one night, I decided to go there once more. Not because I was enticed by the beauty of the place, but because I wanted to put an end to your relationship.

Minsung was a princess, a person who grew up in comfort, and you are a mere gardener, a person whose living cannot support Minsung's need. I did not mind about losing my job and position. I was far more worried about the princess. Minsung would lose everything if the people found out about her personal life. Also, she was just blinded by her innocent infatuation. You didn't really love her, and I was able to prove it.

When an important meeting occupied Minsung's time, I took advantage of it and went to the mountains by myself. I was going to leave my own message and see if you are worth of the princess' love. The letter went on like this:

Kyuhyun, that is your real name, right? If you really disclosed nothing but the truth about your meager life, then let me introduce to you the person you are exchanging letters with. Princess Minsung, the next in line for the throne, the one who the whole town adores and looks upon, is the same person who goes to the mountain to stop thinking about her smothering responsibilities.

Surely, you knew it from the start. Why do you keep pursuing her then? What is it that you want gain in the end? Fame? Power? Wealth? A helpless and despaired person who loves you would be an easy target, is it not?

If I am wrong and your love is actually real, how would you make her happy? She is a princess, a person used to comfort. I never once let her touch dirt, so how will you provide for her?

Love can only bind you for so long. Both of you live in completely different world. Disagreements would arise. In the end, you would only break her heart.

She may not complain because she learned not to from a very young age, but you are going to make her life miserable little by little. I took care of her, and I won't just watch on the side and do nothing.

End this foolishness now while it is still early. There is no future in this relationship, and you are just wasting each other's time.

 

I was just going to leave the scroll containing the message, but you confronted me. I never had the chance to give it to you, but I still proved that you were no good for the princess. Every night the I see you, I felt awful. I hated pretending to be intensely in love with you, especially since I knew that Minsung loved a ignorant person like you. However, I only did it to prevent you from meeting the princess.

I told you lies. I made you hate the person you truly loves, and your shallowness incensed me more. It made me desperate for the two of you not to meet. Minsung is better off with Prince Siwon than with you. I was doing great, but the favor was not on my side.

Minsung found out my deception. I loathed that I had to lie in front of the princess. I broke not only the princess' heart but my own as well.

But I had to be strong. I had to kill Minsung's heart, so the princess could live again with a stronger one. I didn't mind whether the princess would punish me. Even if Minsung would sever our friendship, I would understand. I was doing it all for the princess' own benefit anyway,and that was what mattered most.

I expected Minsung to treat me harshly, but I experienced the opposite. I remained as the princess trusted servant, her closest and best friend. Every night Minsung cried in her sleep while I kept my act towards you. Still, she did not treat me with any hostility. I hate it! I would suffer less if she loathed me, but her kindness was my punishment, and so was the curse casted upon us.

The night before you turned into a stone, I met a man, a revoltingly scarred man. He uttered words that had no meaning to me at first. But when his face started to transform to a more horrific state, it scared me. I wanted to run, but my feet were stuck, unmoving. I had no choice but to hear his whole spell:

 

"How can you enjoy his loving company,

When you know somebody else is crying endlessly?

You were her friend. She trusted you,

But you stabbed her back and stole her man too.

The two of you crushed a pure heart.

I do not have a choice but to break you apart.

Your punishment will not directly hit you,

But you would wish that I should have just killed you.

No matter what you do, you would not die

You would see the pain caused by your lies.

That insensible man would turn into a stone,

From head to toe, from skin to bone.

A true love's kiss will set him free,

But from midnight 'till sunrise only.

To break the curse he needed to see,

And accept the person who loves him truly."

 

I ran to you, and I was welcomed with open an arms. I was terrified, but did not believed it. You asked me what was wrong, and I lied to you once more. I should have told you the truth that moment.

The instant that the curse over-powered your body, I thought about the princess. I knew that she would not take that news lightly, and I was right. She was more devastated than before. I wanted to stop her tears and reveal the truth to her. I want to give her back the life she wanted, but I already ruined it for her.

You would not appreciate seeing her in your arms. No matter what she would do, you would hate her. That is how dense you are. You did not want the princess to deceive you, but I easily fooled you.

Seeing her crying in front of you every night only added to my guilt. For several times, I tried killing myself, but it was no use. I am on my limit, and I do not know what to do anymore.

Before I completely lose my mind, I wanted to apologize. I want to say how sorry am I from what I did to Princess Minsung but not to you. I would never ask for your forgiveness. You deserve this but not Minsung. She is still better off without you.

 

Kyuhyun finished the letter with tears in his eyes. He hated it... he hated himself.

"You are right," he said. "I deserve this." He crumpled the scroll and looked at Sooyoung's unstable form. "But I learned my lesson and broke the curse without your help. I'm sorry, but I love Sungmin. I would do whatever it takes to make him happy now that I am given another chance."

Sooyoung looked at him. Her mind was a mess, but Kyuhyun's words melted her heart. A tear fell as she revealed Sungmin's whereabouts against her will. "They're coming back. Sungmin is back today."

When he heard her words, Kyuhyun ran. He did not changed. He just ran as fast as he can to reach Sungmin's house in time.

 

The surrounding was cold and dark when Siwon and Sungmin drove back to Seoul. It mirrored both of their feelings. The silence only added to their already heavy hearts. Siwon opened his radio and listened to a foreign song playing at the moment. The words were unfamiliar to them, but they easily grasped the meaning it was trying to convey.

 

♫♪I haven't slept at all in days
It's been so long since we've talked
And I have been here many times
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong♪♫

Why does loving someone this tiring? They tried everything to open up, but the other person doesn't react the way they wanted to. It always end miserably. Maybe the problem is not the other person. Maybe, forcing the other person to love them was what's wrong all this time.

♫♪What can I do to make you love me
What can I do to make you care
What can I say to make you feel this
What can I do to get you there♪♫

They are running out of ideas, running out of hope and courage to continue.

♫♪There's only so much I can take
And I just got to let it go
And who knows I might feel better, yeah
If I don't try and I don't hope♫♪

They were better off before meeting the person who captured their hearts. Even if they were not successful, they did their best to find their happiness, right? Would it all be better if they just stop?

♫♪No more waiting, no more, aching...
No more fighting, no more, trying...♪♫

Yes, that sounds more promising than what they are feeling right now.

♫♪Maybe there's nothing more to say
And in a funny way I'm calm
Because the power is not mine
I'm just going to let it fly♪♫

After this trip, they would forget. They would free their hearts from pain, from despair.

♫♪What can I do to make you love me
What can I do to make you care
What can I say to make you feel this
What can I do to get you there
And love me... love me... ♪♫

 

They arrived at Sungmin's house. Siwon opened the car door the same time the other man did. He went to the trunk to get Sungmin's luggage, and as he closed the trunk, he was also determined to close his heart. He walked closer to Sungmin, prepared to say his last farewell.

"Siwon," Sungmin called. "I thought about it."

"I know Sungmin. You don't have to say anymore. I understand-"

"I'll go with you." Sungmin cut.

Siwon's words got stuck in his throat. He cannot believe what he just heard. He let go of the luggage and held Sungmin's shoulders.

"What did you say?" he asked. He wanted to hear Sungmin's words once again.

"We won't move, but I'll live with you and Sooyoung. I am accepting you." Sungmin said with a smile.

"Tell me this is real. Tell me I'm not dreaming. Please." Siwon begged. His heart was overwhelming and bursting with joy.

"This is real, and you are not dreaming."

Siwon hugged Sungmin. He hugged him tight, afraid that if he let go, everything would be out of his reach.

"Thank you Sungmin." He held Sungmin at arm's length and the shorter man saw his tears. This time, it was tears of pure joy.

Sungmin dried it with his thumbs. When their skin touched, Siwon's heart thumped. He cannot contain himself anymore, but he still asked for permission like a gentleman he is.

"Can I?" His heart swelled more when Sungmin nodded.

He held Sungmin's face with his shaking hands. He still cannot believe it. It felt surreal. Sungmin closed his eyes and so was he. He dipped his head as he reach for Sungmin's lips for a kiss- his very first kiss.

 

 

 

 

Credit: The Corrs - What Can I Do

a/n: I'm announcing a hiatus again...

 

 

JUST KIDDING!!! (☝΄◞ิ۝◟ิ‵)☝

School is tomorrow, so I don't know when is the next update, but I'll try to write when there's time.

Hoho! Don't kill me, or the story stops here. ಠﭛಠ

I'm lazy and impatient, so this is unedited. ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Funny, every chapter I post, even those edited, still has errors.(っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ

 

Is it obvious that I'm nervous for tomorrow? (◍•﹏•)