Thirty-Four

A Royal Curse

"Are you okay Sungmin?" Siwon asked as he drove to their destination. There was no response.

The whole trip was filled with silence, except for Sungmin's sigh every now and then. Siwon can't help but observe Sungmin's forlorn appearance. He believed it has something to do with Kyuhyun, but he needed to take Sungmin's mind away from that person, at least for a week. This was his last chance, and he will not let it just crumble in his hands.

The silence was killing Siwon and his hope. He was about to get Sungmin's attention one more time, when Sungmin's phone rang.

Sungmin scrambled around his seat as he looked for his phone. He grabbed his backpack from the passenger seat and fished out his device while dropping some of his stuff on the process. He looked at the caller. It was the library's number. Sungmin immediately answered, thinking there must be something wrong in the library again.

"This is Sungmin speaking. Can I help you?"

"Sir about the statue, it's missing again, but it's not anywhere in the library."

Sungmin's heart dropped. Kyuhyun did leave him behind. He was dismayed although he was the one who suggested it. Wasn't he supposed to be glad that he had one less responsibility? But what would happen to Kyuhyun if he turned to a statue in the streets? Forget being a statue. What would happen to Kyuhyun on the streets, especially at night? He would not be able to survive without money and shelter.

"Sir Sungmin?"

"Sungmin?"

Sungmin jolted as he heard his name being called by the staff on the phone and Siwon at the same time. He looked at Siwon, who was looking at him with concern.

Siwon pulled over the side of the road when he saw how shocked Sungmin was after answering the call. He did not want to go back, but if Sungmin would tell him to turn back now, he would not hesitate. He cannot take the sight of Sungmin in worry once more.

"Do you want to go back?" he asked.

Sungmin just looked at him, contemplating about the best course of action to take. Wait. What was there to think about? There's no need to look for a person who doesn't want to be seen. Besides, he left to find his own happiness, right? He did not attain that happiness with Kyuhyun. He does not need to waste his time searching for him.

"I let him go. He's somewhere where he truly belongs." Sungmin said on the phone while looking at Siwon. The staff was about to clarify his words, but he cut her, "As for further explanation, please ask Hangeng hyung. Also, I am going to Jeju to take a break. Any minor problems concerning the library, please wait until my arrival. Goodbye."

Sungmin turned off his phone right after ending the call. He unwaveringly stuffed it back deep in his bag. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath. When he opened them again, he saw swift cars passing them by. He looked at Siwon, wondering why they stopped.

Siwon stared back. He knew something's wrong. He also felt that it would be better to return and postpone their trip, but deep inside, he really want to take advantage of the time he has now with Sungmin. Should he let Sungmin do what he wants or what he needs?

"If we don't move now, we will miss the ferry. I can't wait to see Jeju now. Can we go?" Sungmin asked.

"Just make him happy," thought Siwon. He smiled and put the car back in the drive gear.

 

"What are we going to do with Kyuhyun?" asked Heechul.

Him and Hangeng were standing outside Sungmin's house while big hidden from other people. Kyuhyun was crouched on the ground not far from them. He lost all his energy while pleading the pair to bring him to Sungmin. They were more worried that people would recognize Kyuhyun than Kyuhyun's problem, so they dragged him out of sight.

"It would be hard to explain about the missing statue now that there's no real statue anymore." Heechul added.

"Let's not worry about that at this moment. We need to bring Kyuhyun back in the library without getting too much attention." Hangeng replied. He looked at Heechul, who was covered with his everyday clothes- a cap and a hoodie.

 

"Sungmin," Siwon called once more.

Ever since the phone call, Sungmin mind kept wandering back to Kyuhyun to his disappointment. He tried to avert his attention by walking around the port, looking at the vast waters. However, solitariness only made him to think about at the person he had been trying to forget.

"We're about to leave." Siwon reminded. He'd been trying to get Sungmin's attention, but he can never make Sungmin focus to him for more than five minutes. If Sungmin would stay like this for the rest of the trip, he would never be able to even bring up his proposal to him.

They boarded, and the first thing that Sungmin did was find a good spot to rest on. Siwon followed closely behind, formulating words inside his head on how to convince Sungmin to come with him and Sooyoung anywhere far from Kyuhyun. When Sungmin sat down though, he immediately closed his eyes, ignoring everyone in his surroundings, ignoring the painful pang in his heart.

 

Heechul and Hangeng successfully returned to the library without blowing Kyuhyun's identity. They were able to hide Kyuhyun's appearance by letting him walk behind them. He was also bowed down while walking even if he was wearing Heechul's cap and hoodie. They were almost able to sigh in relief, but they were spotted by a staff waiting outside Hangeng's room.

"Oh Hangeng-ssi," the staff said upon seeing the man. "I called boss Sungmin about the missing statue. He told me that he let Kyuhyun go, but didn't elaborate. I didn't really need to bother you, but people keep asking. I don't really know what to say, and Mr. Lee told me to ask you for details."

When Kyuhyun heard Sungmin's name, he quickly raised his head, showing the staff his full appearance.

"Wait, he looks like-"

"Kyuhyun." Heechul cut the staff. "Sungmin found and hired this person, who cunningly look like the statue, to explain the people that Sungmin donated the statue back in Greece where it truly belongs. However," Heechul added, "he won't be able to do it. He's a shy type. He has agoraphobia and can't stand public places. He even cried to Sungmin, begging before he left." Heechul pushed Kyuhyun's head once again and urged him to walk inside Hangeng's room.  It proved to be a challenge since Kyuhyun didn't want to move an inch away from his spot."You can explain the people yourself, can't you?"

The staff just nodded then looked at Hangeng.

"That's pretty much it. Do I have to explain more?"

When the staff shook her head, Hangeng excused himself. He entered the room and saw Heechul holding Kyuhyun down. Kyuhyun energized when he heard Sungmin's name.

"Sungmin! I need to talk to Sungmin. Please," Kyuhyun stopped trashing and kneeled in front of Hangeng. "I'm begging you. I just need to talk to Sungmin." Kyuhyun said in tears.

Out of pity, Hangeng took his phone and dialed Sungmin's phone. It didn't even rang twice when it reached the voicemail. He tried twice, thrice, four times, but Sungmin won't pick up.

"I'm sorry Kyuhyun. It looks like he turned off his phone."

"No! I need to see him. Where is this Jeju?" Kyuhyun persisted.

"Look here Kyuhyun." Heechul said. "If Sungmin cut communication with us, he is not ready to see you right now." Their heart soften after seeing Kyuhyun crestfallen face. "Give him time. He'll return within five days. We'll see him in his house after that." Heechul promised.

"I need to see him, tell him that I'm still here. I need to tell him that I-"

"Save it Kyuhyun. Tell it to Sungmin personally." Hangeng advised. "For now, you need to rest. We need to rest. You could borrow my clothes if you want to." Kyuhyun just shook his head.

Heechul helped Kyuhyun to stand up while Hangeng pulled the trundle. They let Kyuhyun sit as they went out to prepare for sleep. When they returned, they saw Kyuhyun already sleeping, clutching Sungmin's favorite pillow tightly near his tear-streaked face.

 

After checking-in with separate rooms in their hotel, Sungmin called it a day and retired in his own room. He didn't even bother ordering room service for dinner, and it worried Siwon.

Carrying take-outs, Siwon knocked on Sungmin's room. After quite some time, Sungmin slowly opened the door. Siwon could clearly see Sungmin had been crying. He didn't ask anything, nor spoke about it.

"I brought you dinner." He said as he raised his occupied hand. Sungmin timidly accepted the food without looking much at Siwon. When Sungmin was about to close the door, Siwon hastily opened his plan. "Have you been to the Hallasan Mountain?"

Taken aback, Sungmin slowly moved his head sideways.

Siwon smiled, the kind of smile that could warm anyone's heart. "Me too. They said it's very beautiful. Do you want to visit it while we're here?"

Sungmin contemplated. Maybe, going out would help clear his head and his heart. Besides, he'd been ignoring Siwon. Wasn't he the one who suggested this trip?

"Okay," Sungmin rasped. His mouth was dry from too much crying. "but can we just rest for tomorrow?"

"Don't worry, that's what I was about to say anyway. We can go anytime you are ready."

Sungmin nodded. "Thank you."

 

When Kyuhyun woke up, he went out and went to Sungmin's house. He remembered him going back right after he turned into human. Sungmin didn't want to travel to Jeju in first place, so he'll probably go back home early, right? Still, he'll just watch for Sungmin's return no matter how long it takes.

Heechul and Hangeng noticed his disappearance. Hangeng can't leave the library alone, so Heechul rushed outside with another cap and jacket for Kyuhyun. He didn't need to think where he could find the missing man. He headed straight to Sungmin's residence. And there was Kyuhyun, sitting alone in the sidewalk, waiting for Sungmin's arrival.

"Kyuhyun," Heechul called. "I told you he'll be gone for five days. Let's just wait in the library."

"Sungmin didn't want to go to Jeju. He tried to tell me, but I did not try to understand."

"People would be suspicious if you linger here, especially with those clothes on." Kyuhyun was just looking at him, unmoving and silent. "They might call the police, and you would not be able to see Sungmin more." The threatened man stood up. "Let's just go back for now." Kyuhyun longingly looked at Sungmin's house before reluctantly following Heechul back.

 

Sungmin and Siwon woke up before the sun rise to visit the mountain. The day before, Siwon planned everything that they would do. He bought necessary things such as foods and drinks. Everything was picture perfect inside his head. His only worry was Sungmin himself. He cannot foresee, nor control the man's reaction, but he already prepared himself with whatever outcome this day would bring.

When they reached their destination, they were both awestruck by the view. It took a good while or both of them to appreciate the sight before actually entering the park. It was Siwon who diverted his gaze away from the amazing view to look at the man beside him. Looking at Sungmin was a much better experience and picture than any creatures on earth anyway.

He savored the moment and hoped for it to last. Seeing Sungmin's sincere smile was breathtaking and quite unexpected, and yet another unexpected thing happened; Sungmin looked at him, still smiling.

"It's beautiful. I can't wait to see it up close." Sungmin then held Siwon's right arm and dragged the man at the entrance.

Indescribable. That was what Siwon was feeling at that very moment. It was not what he had imagined, but he won't complain. Instead, he was very grateful.

The route they took to hike the top was the longer one. Both of them were inexperienced, so they took their time trekking. They take a break once in a while, but because of Sungmin's eagerness, they continued on until they reached the top.

It was alright with Siwon, especially since Sungmin always held his hand as he dragged him towards the top. It was as if Sungmin was used to hike mountains. Princess Minsung did grew up in a mountainous region, Siwon realized. Maybe her memories still stored somewhere in Sungmin's mind.

"Beautiful." They both breathed as they reached the top.

They were able to filter the pictures and sound of the crowd around them as they marvel at the stunning view of the earth and sky. Both of them welcomed the peace and comfort the mountain offered.

After a while, they decided to walk some more and find an isolated place where they can be alone. They stayed in a spot with the perfect view of a lake. They ate, talk and enjoyed each other's company. Siwon successfully diverted Sungmin's thought away from Kyuhyun.

It was close to sunset when they decided to head down and return to their hotel, but before they even leave, Siwon stood still. He did not want to ruin the day, but he had to do it anyway. He have to ask Sungmin to come with him. He took a deep breath and braced himself.

"Sungmin," he called. "I have to tell you something." Sungmin swiveled and looked at Siwon, innocent bliss was still apparent at his face.

Siwon's breath hitched at the sight, and with a fast pounding heart, he continued his words.

"I've been meaning to tell you this, but I just can't find the perfect chance. I..." Siwon paused as he choose the right words to say. "I resigned from my job, so this would be the last time I'm going to accompany you as the architecture."

"Siwon."

"I'm planning to move with Sooyoung somewhere, and... I am going to ask you to come with us."

"What do you mean?"

Siwon approached Sungmin and held both of his hands to place it on top of his heart. He looked straight in his eyes. "I know this is kind of rush, but would you come with us?"

"I can't," Sungmin said as he retrieved his hands. "I like you and Sooyoung, but I can't come with you."

"If it's because of your father, I-"

"It's not about my father."

"Is it because of Kyuhyun then?"

"No!" Sungmin quickly denied. "Give me time. Let me think about it." That was what Sungmin said, but his eye showed otherwise. Still, those eyes didn't go unnoticed by Siwon.

Sungmin turned around and started walking, trying to keep the day from being ruined as much as possible.

"Minsung," said Siwon. Sungmin halted his steps. "This may sound crazy, but you were the former Princess, Princess Minsung. You might have forgotten the past, but I didn't. I followed and looked for you because I love the princess, and I still do. Sungmin... Sungmin I love you."

With his back still turned, Sungmin replied, "I know Prince Siwon. I do recall fragments of the past." He turned around and looked at the man who loved him from the start. "I'll think about it."

 

"Kyuhyun, if you keep staying out like this, you'll get sick." Heechul reminded him the next night they stayed out in front of Lee residence. "Maybe you are forgetting, but you are a human now."

"More reason for me to wait for him. That's the least that I can do as a real person now."

Heechul just shook his head in disbelief. "You two are so much alike, very stubborn when it comes to love."

Kyuhyun looked at him, confused.

"The moment she found out you turned into a statue, she always sneaked out of the palace to wait for you. She had her chance to reverse the curse before, but did not do it."

"All because of me. I understand. I have been vicious with her. She's too good for me. Sungmin is too good for me. I won't be surprised if he would hate me."

"Well," Heechul said as he stood up. "you should know by now that he doesn't hold grudges." He turned his head to look at Kyuhyun. "No matter how much I dislike you, you still should not punish yourself like that. You have to be alive when Sungmin comes back."

 

After their trip, Sungmin and Siwon remained quiet. The next day, they spent it mostly preparing for the meeting in the site. No one brought up the subject.

They arrived at the place and held a meeting with the concerned workers. After concluding it with a proper solution, they promptly ended the conference and returned to their respective tasks. Siwon went to their rented car while Sungmin talked to Mr. Shin, who spotted them just before they leave.

"Mr. Lee!" The old guy greeted. "I did not expect to see you here. I'm sorry to hear about the small setback aroused, but I'm glad that the workers are working cooperatively with us." Siwon excused himself, so Mr. Shin could talk to Sungmin in private. "Anyway, I have also inspected the hill before, and as you said, it is a wonderful place. I did noticed the elevated ground that imposes a slight danger for inexperienced hikers, but that's the only thing that I've found as a hazard."

Pointing at the small pickup truck loaded with varieties of plants and soil feeds, he continued. "We already started planting and landscaping portion of it, but it would be more easier if there's a landscaper that could help us."

Sungmin's thoughts immediately landed on Kyuhyun. "Kyuhyun would surely love working in here." He kept thinking how Kyuhyun would look like working under the sun, how he would look like doing something he loves. His mind was so occupied that he forgot he was talking to  another person.

"Mr. Lee? Sungmin." Mr. Shin called as Sungmin's attention.

"Oh." Sungmin realized what he just did. "I was just thinking about someone who would be perfect for the job."

"He must be special if you look happy like that." Mr. Shin replied with a wink.

Sungmin just smiled. "He might be perfect for the job, but I'm afraid he cannot work. Don't worry I'll send a landscaper as soon as I can."

"I really appreciate your kind-heartedness." Mr. Shin genuinely said. "Okay, I won't hold you for too long. Your boyfriend must be waiting for you now."

With a little choke and widened eyes, Sungmin replied, "He's not my boyfriend."

"Oh! My apologies. I just observed how he looks and cares for you." He chuckled. "Ignore my unfiltered words. It just comes with age." Mr. Sheen then left Sungmin as he went back to help planting.

Sungmin, with a lowered head, dragged his feet towards the car. He kept repeating Mr. Shin's words inside his mind. Siwon cared for him from the start, and he still do. Maybe it's only right to give the man a chance even if it meant that he have to forget Kyuhyun. He could forget Kyuhyun, right?

However, when he looked at Siwon, who was leaning on the car, he felt bad. Could he fake his love until it feels real? Would Siwon be willing to accept him while he tries to pretend?

Siwon looked at him, dejected. "If we check out of the hotel now, we could still catch the ferry. Since we don't have any business here now, I guess we better just go back to Seoul."

Maybe not.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH:

botan161 , Peachit , blurzpoo , Minniebaby , HoldOnAngel , mymyJOY137 , PureandEasy , kyumincow , AwkwardAsian13 , tulip1 , KyuMinFever , Poko24Makashi , HommieSJ1307 , thisseemslikefun , ninja_min , arisuthecheonsa , eunhaeron , Abhirami , BiiaDCastro , Wu_Yellin , SJheartKM , PeekyDoll , chumichimu , Rainbow_Kyu , kyuminsauce 

Also to:

kyuminnie137 , Kpop12345 , Gyaaaa , kelly_kyu , TaiShanNiangNiang , janitaaa , aureola , myotterprince , LynSushi , heekitty , mugenby , hellokittygang1234 , bedhairrrr , Marthibella , bella_signorina , bohyemi , Love_Rain , sayasayangtodae , XiumInYourFace , dewdew , hyunntps , amuse_otaku , ANNsuperholic , mochipepero , Kpopcrazy92 , jessabcm , kyuminforlove , hyukiemine , hanxiche , kyumin13 , PinkPumpkinMinnie , kikai99 , zuttoo , Angela_exotics , kristyl24 , kyuminforlove , marilynminghyuk , kyumin99 , septizhumi , PiggyNagi , Taosgotmypanda , tolein , littlehye , monkey78 , bibimbapbap09 , sweetshosh , joannallee

 

You know why your name is up there, right?^^

 

a/n:

Ahh... a lackluster chapter...

Anyway, enjoy  and have a great day everyday.

I know people get depressed, but just think about Kyuhyun with blonde wig and red dress (you could leave out the hairy legs) and Sungmin's Mamacita  teaser photos.

That's a best way to die than suicide...

 

School is coming this Monday (for me and my sisters), but I still don't have books, nor notebook (do I need those though?). ○~○

I'll look fab on the first day anyway. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌