Twenty-Nine

A Royal Curse

Sungmin and Sooyoung was still in the coffee shop talking about trivial things. It amazed Sungmin how many common things he shared with the former servant- their love for books, history, the color pink, and many more. Their conversation did not feel like an awkward introduction. Rather, Sungmin felt that they were just catching up after years of separation.

Their plates were empty except for the crumbs, and their drinks were refilled several times, but their conversation never run dry. Everything was forgotten even that one phone that was kept ringing. They only noticed it when they stopped laughing.

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Sungmin asked.

"I wonder who would call me. I only have Siwon oppa's number." She said as she rummage her favorite hot pink purse.

She had to remove the stuffs in her purse to locate her phone, but it still took a while before she fished out her mobile. How was she able to carry all of those things, is one of the mysteries human can never solve.

"I was right. It's just Siwon oppa." She mumbled. When she realized how many text messages and missed call she had from him, her eyes enlarged. "Oops. I'll be in trouble."

"What happened?" Sungmin asked in concern.

"Nothing. I just have to call Siwon oppa. He worry worst than a father."

Sooyoung dialed Siwon and it didn't take a full ring before the other line answered.

"Where have you been? Were you away from your phone? I was worrying about you." Siwon blasted. Sooyoung had to distance her phone to protect her eardrums from her brother's voice.

"Calm down. I'm fine. Don't worry about me too much. Minnie oppa is taking care of me."

"Minnie? Your with Sungmin?" Siwon said in relief.

"What's with all the fuss anyway? You never called me before." Sooyoung asked.

"I was going to inform you that I'll come home late, overtime in work," Siwon explained. "I don't have to worry at all since you're with Sungmin." Siwon paused, thinking if his decision would sound okay. "Hey, can you ask him to look for you for a while. I'll just get you in the library."

"I'm old enough and could take care of myself. No need to burden Minnie oppa." Sooyoung said, which Sungmin heard.

"What's wrong?" Sungmin asked.

"My brother was going to bother you with me. I'm fine really. Don't worry about it." She dismissed.

"You could stay in the library if you want." Sungmin offered.

"But," Sooyoung hesitated.

"Just say yes Sooyoung. I'll be more comfortable knowing that you're safe." Siwon sounded on the phone.

"But Heechul-"

Sensing Sooyoung's fear, Sungmin reassured her.

"I'll try to keep him away as much as I could. It's okay. You're welcome in the library."

To put her brother at ease, she agreed. Well, she really cannot reject Sungmin's offer, especially with that endearing smile.

Siwon ended the call with a high hope to see Sungmin once again.

 

"Thank you oppa. You don't really have to worry about me." Sooyoung said.

"I like your company. It doesn't bother me at all." With these words from Sungmin, Sooyoung smiled warmly.

"You're really a nice person. I envy your girlfriend." She said dreamily.

"I," Sungmin started awkwardly, "I don't have a girlfriend."

"What?!" Sooyoung shrieked.

She stood up with a slam on the table. Knowing that Sungmin doesn't have a girlfriend yet, made her heart beat twice as fast. Realizing what she had done, she bowed around to apologize before settling down on her seat again. She lowered her body and used her purse to hide her face. She looked back to Sungmin and thought twice. He may not have a girlfriend, but how about... No, she should not assume.

Putting down her purse a little, she asked Sungmin, "how about a boyfriend?"

"What?!" It was Sungmin's turn to yell. The question took him by surprise. Instead of answering, Sungmin looked around. He already saw some people giving them the dirty looks, so he urged Sooyoung to leave with him.

They stood up and quickly left the premise. They ran a short distance, away from the crowd. Once alone, Sooyoung laughed. It was so contagious, that Sungmin ended up laughing with her.

"Have you seen their faces? It's funny." She said, trying to catch her breath from laughing.

"Let's not go back in there." Sungmin said, equally panting with Sooyoung.

"But that was fun. I want to do it again."

"Maybe we could try a different place." Sungmin suggested, his wild side surfacing before Sooyoung, yet he was not afraid of showing it. He's comfortable with her like that.

"It's not our last date then?" Sooyoung chirped.

"Date?" Sungmin asked. "Sure. It's fun doing this with you."

"Can I have your number then?" Sooyoung inquired, "Siwon oppa won't give it to me." She whined.

"He won't be able to give you my number since I broke my phone." Sungmin said. He remembered what happened to it once again. His joy slowly faded. "To think about it, I haven't replaced it yet. I was too busy." He said in a serious tone. Sooyoung noticed it in an instant.

"You are not busy now, are you? I'll help you find a new phone if you want to." She suggested.

"Okay," Sungmin easily agreed. "I'll just get the car from the library."

"There's no need to ride the car. Let's ride the bus."

"Bus? I haven't been in a bus."

"Really? I used it a lot in America. It calms me down a bit; takes my head off from my problems. I'll teach you how to ride it."

With Sooyoung's words, riding a bus sounded a lot exciting for Sungmin.

 

They waited for a while before their bus came. When it came, they rode and sat down side by side. Sooyoung let Sungmin sit on the window side. Sungmin was thrilled seeing everything outside the bus. It is the same place, yet it looked different from the public vehicle. Sooyoung was right, it was calming.

Sungmin looked at his side and saw Sooyoung sitting quietly by herself. It was as if she's letting him enjoy his first time. He felt thankful. Sooyoung knew just how to calm him down, how to take his mind away from worries. He looked back outside and sighed contentedly.

 

"How about this oppa? It looks the same as mine." Sooyoung recommended when they were looking for a new phone.

Sungmin was quiet. He was still in a haze from their bus ride. Sooyoung did not warn her that looking at everything would make him sick, so right now, he's trying his best not to throw up. Even nodding would induce vomiting.

"Do you have this in pink?" Sooyoung asked the sales person when Sungmin gave her a weak thumbs up.

Sooyoung did most of the transaction, so Sungmin did not have to speak. When he was asked whether he want a new number or his old one, he wanted to back out and maybe buy that phone next time.

"Are you okay oppa?" Sooyoung asked Sungmin, when he was not responding.

Sungmin shook his head as slow as he could muster. Any movement gave his stomach unnecessary signals.

"Try these mints. This should help." Sooyoung offered. "I forgot to tell you about motion sickness."

"I don't get it a lot. This is quite new for me too." Sungmin replied. He's getting well a bit, thanks to the mints. Turning to the salesperson, Sungmin said, "I'd like to keep my old number."

"Okay sir. Just give me your account information, and I'll set your new phone."

 

Sungmin was prepared to leave when he got his new phone. However, he cannot find Sooyoung anywhere. He walked around the mall to look for her, but she's nowhere to be found. He was not even able to ask for her number.

He was getting tired and concerned. Siwon trusted her to him, Sooyoung was his responsibility that day. He was about to ask for help at the information desk when he found her looking at an accessories store. He sprinted towards her, ready to scold.

"Sooyoung," he called.

"Oh oppa! You're fast. I thought the transaction would take long. I bought you an antihistamine medicine to prevent motion sickness. I also bought you this." She said and handed him a small pink rose in a glass charm. His anger suddenly dissipates and replaced with gratitude.

"Rose? Why rose?" He asked.

"Rose is my favorite flower." She answered.

"Rose? But I thought your favorite flower is tulip." He said.

"Tulip? No. I prefer rose. Why would you think it's my favorite oppa?"

"Uhh, nothing. I just like tulip. I thought you like it too."

"You like tulips? They're beautiful too. Now, they're my second favorite flower. You want me to change your charm? Is it too girly?"

"No, it's fine. It reminds me of you. I like it." Sungmin failed to notice Sooyoung's blush with his words. "I'll buy you a tulip one in return." He added.

"Just like a couple item!" she exclaimed to herself. If there's a way to express excitement silently, please share it to her. I'm afraid she'll collapse from too much feels.

 

Back in the library, Hangeng went to the storage room to see Heechul. He saw him diligently finishing the task given to him.

Instead of a normal greeting, Hangeng silently entered to surprise the busy man. When he was close enough, he back-hugged Heechul.

Hangeng wanted to enjoy the moment, but Heechul was trying his best to wiggle out of the embrace. Hangeng reluctantly released him. When Heechul ignored him, he became more suspicious.

"What's wrong?" Hangeng asked.

"Sungmin might see us." Heechul answered.

"He's not here. He left long ago, and so was the rest of the workers. What's the problem?"

"I'm busy." Heechul reasoned, clearly avoiding any conversation, but Hangeng was not giving up.

"Are you hiding something from me?" Hangeng asked straightforwardly.

Heechul had to stop his work to make sure he heard the right words. Hangeng was suspecting him already? Heechul knew it was bound to happen, but he didn't expect it to be this early. He tried to move around, pretending to be busy, but his mind was nowhere form his task.

"No", Heechul answered after the long silence.

"How did you know that Sungmin and Minsung are the same person?" Hangeng pressed, not buying Heechul's lie.

To avoid being questioned more, Heechul ended his work and turned around.

"You're distracting me. I can't concentrate anymore." He said then left.

"Where are you going? You haven't answered me yet." Hangeng chased Heechul.

"Anywhere where I could be alone."

"You can't always run away." Hangeng grabbed Heechul's arm to stop his steps.

"It's not the right time to spill everything." Heechul admitted.

"So you're really hiding something."

"Please just understand," Heechul begged. "I already broke my own rules when I agreed to be with you."

"Are you regretting your decision?" Hangeng asked. His voice was laced with pain and disbelief.

Heechul palmed his face and groaned. The problem was getting bigger and more complicated. Was he really regretting his decision?

Before he could even think clearly, they heard the faint sound of Sungmin's voice. It was accompanied by another one, a female. They both sounded so happy, contrast to what's happening to Heechul and Hangeng.

 

"Sooyoung?" Both Heechul and Hangeng asked at the same time.

The two newly arrived pair stopped their tracks. Sooyoung immediately hid herself behind Sungmin as soon as she laid her eyes on Heechul. Sungmin knew Sooyoung's distress, so he led her away from Heechul.

He bowed his head to the two other male, while keeping Sooyoung close to him. He led Sooyoung upstairs, on the children's corner.

"Stay here. I have to speak to Heechul for a while. I'll just make sure he won't bother you." Sungmin said to comfort his friend. Sooyoung was clutching on him. She nodded and hesitantly let go. "I'll come back in an instant. I won't take long." He reassured.

At the stairs, he saw Heechul ascending with Hangeng following behind.

"What is she doing here?" Heechul hissed.

"Siwon asked me to look for her. She's going to stay here until Siwon comes." Sungmin calmly responded.

"Are you not afraid that Kyuhyun might see her?" Heechul asked in exasperation. How simple that logic is? Sungmin needs to keep the two from seeing each other, so he could win Kyuhyun's heart, and yet, here he is, letting Sooyoung stay while waiting for Siwon. Great!

"This is my library. I get to decide who I will invite inside."

"But she needs to leave before midnight." Heechul argued.

"You can't just push her away like that. She's my friend." Sungmin countered. He's ready to defend his best friend

"Friend?" Heechul scoffed. "Have you forgotten what she did in the past? She stole Kyuhyun away from you. She made your life miserable." Heechul said. He was fuming so hard that he was not able to filter his words.

Sungmin was surprised. If he didn't met Sooyoung before, he would have believed Heechul's words.

"She doesn't like Kyuhyun." Sungmin said in a low voice.

"How about Kyuhyun?" Heechul asked, trying to dispute.

Sungmin was trying to convince Heechul, but he's also forcing himself to believe. Sooyoung was the kind of girl who would do everything for the sake of her friend, not the opposite of it. Whoever Kyuhyun really loves, he's willing to accept. Still, he's hoping that it would be him, whom Kyuhyun would look for in the end.

"Whatever happened to me in the past was not her fault. It was that wicked person's fault. If he hadn't cursed us, this would have not happened." Sungmin said with clenched hands and jaw. He really loaths that person right now.

"Sungmin," Heechul said in a small voice. Was Sungmin blaming him?

"Please don't come upstairs. Sooyoung doesn't want to see you." Sungmin said and went back upstairs. He ended the conversation because he doesn't want to get mad at Heechul. He's angry at the person who cursed them, but not at Heechul, who was always by his side when he's sad. He should not direct his resentment towards an innocent person.

"You," Hangeng said to Heechul once Sungmin was out of sight. "you are helping Kyuhyun and Sungmin together?"

Heechul did not respond. He's hurt. Hurt by the fact that Sungmin unknowingly hated him. He was just trying to help.

He almost fell down the stairs if Hangeng did not supported him.

"I was just trying to help." He mumbled to no one, but Hangeng still heard him.

Hangeng did not pressed on with his own questions when he saw how miserable Heechul became. Instead, he hugged his lover and patted his head to comfort him.

Heechul wanted this. No, he needed this, but he felt like taking advantage of everyone's kindness and innocence. He didn't deserve it. He did not deserve to be loved.

Heechul tried to release himself from the comforting embrace, but Hangeng held firm.

"I don't care what your reasons are. If you feel sad, cry. You could cry on me." Those words hit Heechul straight in his heart. He let his guard down and let his eyes flow for the very first time. After thousands of years, Heechul was able to cry once again.

 

"Oppa," Sooyoung called Sungmin.

Since he came back, he just kept staring into space. 'Making Sooyoung stay is fine,' he kept chanting to his mind.

"I think I'll just go." Sooyoung suggested. "You fought with him for my sake. I'm happy that you want me here, but I don't want to ruin your friendship."

"Stay," Sungmin said. "I promised your brother that I'll keep you here. He will look for you in here."

"Are you fine?" Sooyoung asked. Sungmin tried his best to smile and nod. There's no need to remind her of their painful past.

Upon seeing Sungmin smile, Sooyoung smiled in return. She knew Sungmin was not fine, but she won't force him if he doesn't want to share.

Their silence was interrupted by Sooyoung's phone once more. It was Siwon again. He's already outside the library.

"Go to the backdoor. I'll open it." Sungmin instructed.

Sungmin and Sooyoung went down and met Siwon outside.

"Thank you for looking out for Sooyoung." Siwon sincerely said.

"Anytime. If you want, she could come here every day." Sungmin offered.

"Really?" The siblings reacted at the same time. They won't reject it, especially if it meant that they would see Sungmin every day.

"Sure. I won't mind."

"I don't really want to bother you." Siwon said.

"I could help around the library- Cleaning, organizing, anything. I'll do it." Sooyoung volunteered. She won't let the opportunity pass by.

Sungmin chuckled, which made Siwon and Sooyoung happy.

"Then you're hired." Sungmin said.

"Yes! Thank you Minnie oppa." She said with a hug. Her happiness was overwhelming, that she was not able to stop herself.

Sungmin hugged her back, seeing nothing bad in it. However, Siwon's heart clenched at the scene... and so was Kyuhyun's.

"Sungmin." Kyuhyun said in a stern voice.

 

 

 

 

a/n: Wuuuuuuuut?!!!!

 

Hahaha! And... I'm back

Whew! That's 3 long days for me. XD

I still don't know whether to stall or continue with my original plan.

I'm running out of ideas for a filler.

Be ready to say bye-bye.

Ha! Not yet!!! XD

Five (plus) more sad events before the end.

BE PREPARED. BE VERY PREPARED.