Three

A Royal Curse

Hangeng was monitoring the lobby area, when he spotted a lone figure right outside the glass door. The reason for the low number of security in the library was because of numerous CCTV cameras, burglar alarms and hefty amount of insurance. Besides, no one really dared to break in to the library because all the artifacts on displays had security tag on them. Once they're out of the building, the police would be notified quickly. That is why, seeing a person loitering outside the building was a very rare occurrence.

Hangeng approached the man with his flashlight. He halted when he saw the man closely. The man doesn't look like he's dangerous, but his face would shock any one who would see it.

The flashlight inside the library was blinding Heechul. He blocked the light using his arms, but remained standing where he was. He just wanted to keep an eye on Kyuhyun because he cannot afford to wait another lifetime to finish his task.

When Hangeng saw the man's reaction, he lowered his lights and knocked on the glass.

"Please leave. The library is close right now. You can come back later." He's trying to reason to the man outside, but the stranger just kept on looking at him. He took out a pen and wrote something on his hands. 'Library close. Come back later.'

After reading the messy hand writing, Heechul shook his head. He doesn't have any intention on leaving. He actually don't have anywhere else to go.

Hangeng was running out of ideas to shoo the man off, but calling the police would be too much. The man was just standing there, and he doesn't look like a harmful person at all. As a last resort, Hangeng decided to go outside and talk to the man personally.

He went to the back door, making sure that he won't jeopardize the security of the library. When he reached the front door, the man was still standing and looking inside the library.

"Hey, I was trying to say earlier that the library would not open until 9 a.m. Can you come back later? The police might suspect you if you keep on standing there."

With Heechul's quick wit, he tried to reason with the security guard since he seemed nice.

"I actually went here this morning. I was trying to look for something, but I get distracted with all the looks I'm receiving." Hecchul was explaining while feigning hurt. "They kept giving me disgusted looks and I kept on sensing it, so I left without finding what I was looking for."

Heechul looked at the man's face. The lights outside was enough to see how handsome the guard is, but he felt irritated on how Hangeng looked at him.

"I guess you're disgusted too. I should have known. No one wanted to see my face anyway. Even Min- Sung... min was surprised to see my face. However I really cannot leave this place."

Hangeng froze not because of the scar-y skin of the man, but because Heechul's eyes was drowning him in. It was not his intention to annoy the man. He was just bewildered.

"I... I am not disgusted by you. It's just that your eyes... anyway, you said you know Sungmin?"

Heechul didn't know what the guard was trying to say, but at least he could try to persuade him more.

"Yes. We talked about Kyuhyun and his curse this morning. He even knows my name. It's Heechul. You can ask him if you want to confirm."

"Well Heechul, I'm Hangeng. It's not really allowed, but you're welcome to go inside under Sungmin's or my supervision after opening hours. That is, if you still want to continue your research. I can't open the lights inside, so it's a little dim, but I can let you borrow a flashlight."

Heechul did not imagine that it would be easy for him to keep an eye on Kyuhyun now. He was elated because of that, and some other reason that he can't explain.

When they were inside, Hangeng handed him another flashlight. Heechul went directly to the lobby where the statue was displayed. He was hoping that Hangeng would leave him alone, though he knew that he was allowed to be inside only with their supervision.

"There are no books in the lobby. What exactly are you looking for?" Hangeng asked in suspicion.

"I got the whole night right? I just want to look at Kyuhyun's statue. Mi-... Sungmin seems like he has a lot of question about him."

"Kyuhyun's legend is Sungmin's favorite story. He knows a lot about it, but he still keeps on searching for more information. I tried to tell him a joke before, and he believed it. However, he got mad at me when he found out that I was telling him nonsense."

Heechul looked at the statue. Still, nothing has changed.

"Do you believe in that story?"

"Kyuhyun's love story? I don't know. I've read about Princess Minsung's history a lot, and putting a curse on her maidservant and her maidservant's lover didn't match her character well. I think they must have mistook her for that story. Besides, there's no evident proof that that sort of thing really did happen."

"Hah! so you are one of those to-see-is-to-believe kind of people."

They kept talking about the legend and Sungmin until they saw a car pulled up at the front of the building.

"Who would go in the library at this hour?" Hangeng asked irritatingly, then he looked at Heechul, who also went to the library at that very hour.

"I'm not affected. Go and see who that is. I'll just go and look for the book I was going to look for."

 

Heechul was wandering inside the huge building. He doesn't have a specific topic to search for, but Hangeng might ask again, so he better think of an interesting topic. He arrived in the historical section, and something came to his mind. A sly smile was plastered on his face.

"There you are! I've been looking for you." Hangeng said.

"Shh. We're in a library. Hush your loud voice." Heechul said while pulling random history books and handing it to Hangeng.

"What are you looking for anyway."

"A legend."

"Legend. A certain legend or any legend? Maybe I could help you."

"You really want to get rid of me that much?" Heechul said as he pulled the biggest book in the shelf. He dropped it harshly on Hangeng's arms with the rest of the books, which made Hangeng flinch.

"I just want to know. I like reading too, so it could help me too." Hangeng said while trying to balance all the books. He was relieved that Heechul decided to stop getting more and followed him to the tables.

"Well it's about a very handsome man cursed to be ugly because the witch was jealous that the person was receiving a lot of attention and praises. I don't really know, that's why I'm going to research it."

"It sounded a lot like Beauty and the Beast with a very unreasonable fairy." Hangeng commented

A loud thud and crash could be heard, coming from the lobby. 

"Sungmin! I'm sorry, but I have to check on Sungmin. I'll help you later." Hangeng said while handing Heechul all the books.

 

 

"Kyuhyun! I'm so glad you're safe. I can't believe I listened to that person."

"What's the matter Sooyoung, my love? Is someone bothering you? Tell me."

"Minsung cursed us. She said she'll turn you into a stone if you don't accept her love."

"That wicked princess again!?" Kyuhyun said angrily. "Don't worry. Nothing would happen. I'll protect you with all my might if that's what it takes."

Kyuhyun suddenly felt stiff starting in his feet. He didn't believe the curse, but now he could feel it. Sooyoung noticed the distress in his face.

"Kyuhyun, is there something wrong?"

"What's happening? I can't move!"

"Kyuhyun, the curse, it's starting. Please don't leave me." They embraced each other.

"Sooyoung... I..."

 

"Sooyoung!"

Kyuhyun woke up and felt a person in his arms. He embraced the person tightly, thinking it was still Sooyoung, but it felt wrong. Sooyoung doesn't have a masculine figure. He looked at the person's face and saw Minsung- a very short-haired and manly Minsung. He dropped the unconscious body and walked backwards. Since he was placed in a low pedestal, he fell unceremoniously together with the crowd control ropes.

Kyuhyun was beyond surprise. He don't know where he was, and what he was doing with Minsung in a odd clothing.

"Sungmin!" Hangeng shouted."

"Sungmin?" He repeated. He was confused because the person really looked like the princess.

"What did you do to him?" Hangeng asked angrily.

Kyuhyun couldn't answer because he cannot believe what he was seeing. A person with a power of light was angry at him because Minsung was unconscious. No, the person's name was Sungmin. Is she a man? Kyuhyun was clearly confused.

"Kyuhyun?" Heechul's voice said.

"Kyuhyun?" Hangeng reapeated. He pointed his flashlight and saw the resemblance of the young man to the statue. "No way."

After hearing his name, Kyuhyun gathered his will and asked, "You know me? Where is my Sooyoung and what is she doing in my arms?" Kyuhyun pointed at Sungmin.

"It would be hard to explain." Heechul said while approaching Kyuhyun.

"Don't come near me!"

Heechul looked at Kyuhyun and then to Sungmin. Kyuhyun looked distressed and overwhelmed, while Sungmin looked tired and heartbroken. He knelt to level himself with Hangeng, who was holding Sungmin.

"I think it's better if Sungmin would not see him right now. I don't think he could handle the surprise."

Hangeng nodded in agreement. He also cannot believe that Kyuhyun's legend was actually true, and that Kyuhyun was alive right now. They are worried on how Sungmin would take the news.

"I'll put him to bed."

"Good. I think it's better to explain to this person what happened alone." Heechul said referring to Kyuhyun.

"Are you sure?" Heechul just nodded.

Hangeng gently carried Sungmin and went to his room in the building. After making sure that Sungmin was comfortable, he was thinking about what Kyuhyun said, 'what is she doing in my arms?' Why would he think that Sungmin is a girl?

 

Kyunhyun was relieved that the scary person was gone, but he was still worried because of this person with a different clothing who knew him was still just staring at him. He don't know if he could fight a person with power of light, but he thought that this man would be easier to outrun.

"Where is Sooyoung?" He asked once again.

"What do you think the date today is?" Heechul replied.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you think that you froze into a statue for just a day?"

Kyuhyun looked around. The structures are far more advance and different, and so were their clothing. There were things that he could not explain like the frames and small sources of lights that were clearly not candles. The realization slowly seeped in.

"No... n-no. You're lying!"

"Kyuhyun..."

"No!"

Kyuhyun tried to run away, but when he stood up, he cannot feel his legs anymore.

"What's happening!?"

 

When Hangeng decided to come back, he saw the statue once again in it's place, and Heechul was trying to fix the ropes.

"What happened? Why did he turned back?"

"Don't you remember the curse?" Heechul replied while he let Hangeng fix the rest.

Hangeng remembered and realized their situation right now.

"Should I tell Sungmin?"

​"I don't know either. I think it's better if I talk to him first. It looks like something terrible happened to him. I also want to know something from him."

Hangeng looked outside. It's still dark, but you could see some traces of sun.

"I'm going to see you more then." Hangeng said with a little smile on his face.

 

 

 

a/n: I changed the curse a bit. Instead of sunset, I made it midnight. There's a lot of weird things happen after midnight anyway. Hahaha!

Hope you like this update. I'm really torn between two options, and this scenario won. I really would love to hear your thoughts about it- good and bad.