Sixteen

A Royal Curse

Sungmin sighed while he thought of things that he needed to pull off to make Kyuhyun fall for him. In doing so, he tried to recall some of Heechul's tips to help him plan his strategy.

"Look and smell good."

Okay, that tip goes without saying. He always look and smell good anyway, but maybe, he can take it to a higher notch. Sungmin looked at his remaining time and hurriedly drove back home. He did not waste any moment and immediately took a nice bath. He made sure he scrubbed and cleansed himself thoroughly, not leaving any spot dirty or untouched. Afterwards, he went to his closet and packed sets of clothes. He made sure to bring more, so Kyuhyun could borrow his garments.

"Relax. Be comfortable, so the other person would also feel at ease."

This tip was useful because he was feeling so nervous as time passed by. When he got back, all he did was keep pacing on the lobby of the library, trying to calm down his nerves. Then he just decided to listen to some music and maybe read some books too.

"Be interested in what he is interested in."

As Sungmin was picking a book to read, he remembered that Kyuhyun likes planting and gardening. He pulled out a book about it and started reading while listening to his favorite music.

He was not able to notice the time as he was enjoying the book that he was reading. Maybe he could try gardening one of these days if he has a time. He was still thinking about plants, when a tap on his shoulder brought back his attention to his surroundings.

"Oh Kyuhyun!" Sungmin cried out. He was not prepared for Kyuhyun's arrival. All the relaxation that he did went out of the window in an instant.

"I was calling your name repeatedly, but you were not responding. Is there something wrong?"

"Be charming." Sungmin smiled endearingly before replying as he follow Heechul's words.

"I'm sorry. I was listening to music, so I was not able to hear you." Sungmin showed him his music player.

"You should flirt with him! Or subtly touch him." Sungmin recalled Heechul's other advice.

"Do you want to try?" Sungmin took the earphones and slowly raised it to put in Kyuhyun's ears. When the other male was not turning away, he confidently put it in place. He let his fingers linger a bit before pulling his hands away.

Kyuhyun's face displayed amazement, but it slowly changed into something more serious. Kyuhyun started concentrating as he listened to the lyrics of the song.

"Neorago?" Kyuhyun voiced.

Sungmin was startled. He was listening to some upbeat song before Kyuhyun talked to him. He looked at the player, and it showed that Kyuhyun almost finished the whole song of Super Junior.

"Why don't we drive around the city Kyuhyun?" Sungmin proposed as he tug the earphones from the Kyuhyun's ears.

Sungmin was trying to divert the taller male's attention. He doesn't want to appear desperate, for Heechul said, "the more desperate you are, the less attracted they would be." That song was a dead giveaway of his inner feelings.

Kyuhyun gladly agreed to Sungmin's offer. They hurriedly headed to the room, so Kyuhyun could change. The delighted man from the past led the way. When they entered, Kyuhyun remembered the episode last night that happened inside that very room. He tensely looked at Sungmin, who was bent down while searching for a suitable set of clothes that he could borrow.

He was contemplating whether to ask Sungmin if he remembered something yesterday, but he opted not to. Sungmin was sleeping soundly anyway. He probably was not even aware that it was Kyuhyun who carried him to bed. However, it still bothered him why Sungmin was crying in his sleep, and why he was mumbling something about his father. If he asked the man, why he was crying, Sungmin might ask more things about what he did or said that night while he was asleep. Moreover, Kyuhyun can't just disclose the fact that they sleep side by side together, hugging even.

He just hope that Sungminn is not forcing himself to help him. He's thankful that the other man kept his promises so far, but he doesn't want Sungmin to keep pushing himself to the limit. Sungmin is kind to everyone, too kind actually. He's very different to  the princess, who only thinks about herself. Minsung got the whole kingdom under her absolute control, but she doesn't feel satisfied at all. On the other hand, Sungmin is the most selfless human he ever met. Kyuhyun wondered if Sungmin's heart were made with different materials such as gentleness, compassion, sympathy and loving kindness.

After a while, Kyuhyun was able to relax when he assumed that Sungmin doesn't have a single clue what they did in that bed, not that it is something detestable or immoral. He was just not used to being that close with a man. Yet again, his heart kept thumping when he saw Sungmin's glorious bottom displayed openly and invitingly at his face. The way Sungmin moved while looking through his luggage made it worse for Kyuhyun's already wavering emotion. The night he had to touched it, flashed quickly to his mind. He shook his head dramatically to erase the pictures in his brain while reminding himself that they were in an important and emergency situation that time, and that he was simply forced to touch them. He should not feel guilty nor any other kind of emotion with his actions. Kyuhyun was silently calming his heart while Sungmin was doing the same thing.

The moment Sungmin's line of vision landed on the bed, questions about yesterdays event flooded his mind. Perhaps, Kyuhyun was the reason why he felt pleasant despite his horrible dream last night. He wanted to express his gratitude, but then he have to tell Kyuhyun that he knew that they slept together last night. He was dismissing the urge to ask Kyuhyun about the hug because he was not sure how Kyuhyun would react to the question. Maybe it was just a huge mistake on either part of them, and Kyuhyun might suddenly despise him out of it. He don't want to ruin any closeness they already established.

His hands started to get shaky and damp from sweat. He tried to breathe deeper, but being alone inside a room with the one he likes was not helping  him at all. Therefore, before he lose self-control, he quickly gave Kyuhyun the clothes he could borrow and hurriedly left the room. Both of them leaned on the door once they were out of each other's sight. They both placed a hand on their chest, and at the same time, they released a relieved sigh.

Once Kyuhyun was able to stand on his own again, he changed in his new clothes. Sungmin gave him a simple light pink polo shirt, khaki pants, and a pair of white strap sneakers.  Last time, Kyuhyun's priority was his limited time, so he quickly changed clothes, but now, he took his time changing. Although he removed his original garments normally, he handled Sungmin's clothes with extra care. He held it as if it was something precious and fragile, afraid he's going to add any wrinkle on the garment. After changing, he looked at the mirror to examine his reflection. The clothes looks alright, but he was not satisfied. He started touching his hair and tried to tame it somehow. After much struggle and grumbling, he just gave up. With a last adjustment of his hair, he left the room. Well, not after checking his face multiple times. He just stopped looking at the mirror after realizing what he was doing.

When he got out, Sungmin was facing the other way. The smaller male turned around when he heard the door clicked.

"Wow, you look dashing Kyuhyun." Sungmin said before he was able to filter his words.

Sungmin wanted to smack himself on the head after saying it, but at least he was able to follow one of Heechul's advice, "Praise him a bit. Everyone wants to hear compliments about themselves."

"Really?" Kyuhyun replied bashfully. He was glad that Sungmin liked his appearance. But why does he need Sungmin's approval? He cleared his throat and said, "Do you think Sooyoung would like it?"

"Oh I don't know." Sungmin's selfishness almost surfaced. He was not able to restrain the jealousy in his voice. However, so as not to ruin the atmosphere, He added, " But I like it, so I'm sure whoever would see you would like it too." Kyuhyun was shocked at Sungmin's reply, but he was satisfied nonetheless.

 

Like before, they drove around the city in a slow pace. This time, however, Sungmin took Kyuhyun in a more isolated places. He felt bad for taking advantage of the situation, but this is the only way to release Kyuhyun from the curse, right? They were driving around in silence when a stomach grumble was heard.

"Are you hungry? We could stop at a convenience store." Sungmin said.

"If it's not a bother." Kyuhyun replied.

Kyuhyun was not sure why he got hungry all of the sudden. Before, he could last the whole night until dawn without eating. Come to think of it, he never slept nor took a nap aside from yesterday. He was engrossed in figuring out why sudden changes occurred in his body, when Sungmin pulled out in front of a store. They got off the car and went inside.

Once inside, Sungmin took a basket and instructed Kyuhyun to, "Get whatever you want and put it here. I'll just go in the restroom and I'll be back to pay for them."

Sungmin handed Kyuhyun the basket. Kyuhyun looked at the display of food and other items in the store. He checked every isle and inspected almost everything. He also tried reading some of the labels. When Sungmin came back, He saw the basket on the floor, already overflowing with food items, and Kyuhyun still have an armful of stuff.

"You are really hungry, huh?"

Kyuhyun slowly shook his head and replied, "I just wanted to try them all. I've never seen these kind of things before, especially these things that came out of the cold box." He was referring to the ice creams and ice pops. "Is it too much? I think I'll just return them." He added when he realized the amount of food he was going to ask Sungmin to buy.

"It's fine. It's your first time anyway. You could indulge." Sungmin reassured. Well, 'a way to a man's heart is through his stomach' anyway. Sungmin was just making sure that he is going to fill it with his "love."

 

After purchasing what seems like Kyuhyun's accumulated food supply in the past two thousand years, they drove again to find a good spot to eat and rest. They ended up in an empty, but well lit park. They sat down side by side on a bench under a tree and started consuming food. They started with the ice creams since it might melt if not they were not eaten already. Kyuhyun took a drumstick cone and a popsicle while Sungmin enjoyed his ice pop. They were quietly savoring the treat, the view of the park, and the moment they were sharing together that time.

Sungmin was not able to resist himself, so he started stealing glances towards Kyuhyun. He saw Kyuhyun eating the drumstick and the popsicle with alternate turns. He could also see the smudge of vanilla cream on Kyuhyun's cheek. Kyuhyun was surprised to see a handkerchief placed on his knees. He looked at Sungmin on his right.

"There's a smudge of cream on your right cheek. Wipe it off, or your skin would get sticky."

Kyuhyun looked back on the piece of cloth given to him then to both of his hands and the back to Sungmin. Sungmin understood Kyuhyun's predicament, so he retrieved his handkerchief back and wiped Kyuhyun's face himself. Kyuhyun's ice creams could have melted with the heat emitting on both of their face. Sungmin immediately looked away to hide his blush. He took another food inside the plastic bag and munched on it to calm his nerves.

Kyuhyun was then eating 빼빼로(Pepero), when he started a normal conversation.

"Can I ask you something?" He started.

"Sure. What do you want to know?"

"You."

Sungmin did not respond because of Kyuhyun's ambiguous question. Also, he find it hard to speak straight with a wild and erratic beating heart. Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin, who was sporting a confused face.

"You know a lot of things about me, but I don't know a single thing about you, aside from you know how to read and write the language that I was used to."

Sungmin understand Kyuhyun's concern. Kyuhyun might have been feeling unfair that Sungmin practically knew the man, but Kyuhyun was very clueless about him. To ease the mood, he tried to cheer up Kyuhyun.

"You know my favorite flower, and you also know that I could draw. If you want to know more, I'm willing to share."

Sungmin started telling Kyuhyun about his childhood. How his mother died and how his father raised him alone. He also told him about what happened to his father. Kyuhyun realized that the night Sungmin's father was involved in the accident, was the night that he first came to life. He also remembered Sungmin's unconscious figure that night, and felt bad for dropping him that time. At least now he knew why Sungmin was mumbling things about his father in his sleep. As Sungmin told his story, Kyuhyun could see his resemblance to the princess, but he see Sungmin as a different person, because he could see that Sungmin has a pure and kind heart unlike Minsung.

Sungmin asked Kyuhyun about his childhood, and Kyuhyun recounted to him how his parents, even if they were lacking materially, they still taught him how to be contented and happy. Kyuhyun inherited his father's trade of gardening, and that he learned it at such a young age. After sharing, Kyuhyun asked Sungmin about his work.

"I manage the library right now. Most of the historical artifacts that you could see there were inspected and restored by me."

"How about those papers you were reading last time?"

"Those are important documents I needed to sign and submit, so we could build another branch in Jeju Island. I hope they could start the construction as soon as possible." Sungmin explained.

"Do people only read in the library?" Kyuhyun questioned.

"Sometimes they go there to research topic for work, school, hobby, or personal reason. Some people enjoy the artifacts and visit them. Some people just like to hang out and stay in there. We do have a program for kids, so they would develop interest in reading. It's the Public Biannual Storytelling for Kids, or PBS Kids. We invite kids to come in the library before closing time twice a year. During those times, I would dress up in a costume and tell stories. Kids enjoy it very much."

"How about you? Do you like it as well?" Sungmin paused to think. He chuckled at his memory before replying to Kyuhyun.

"I enjoy spending time with the kids as well as telling stories, but since I'm not the one picking the costume, it is quite a traumatizing experience." Sungmin enumerated to Kyuhyun some of the costumes he had to wear, like bunny, pumpkin, flower, and many more. "Come to think of it, in two months we would have that event again." Sungmin heaved a heavy sigh. "I wonder what I have to wear this time."

Kyuhyun find Sungmin's misfortune amusing, but he don't want to tease the man any more, so he just made Sungmin feel a little bit at ease.

"I'm sure you look great whatever you wear."

Kyuhyun said those words without realizing how much it would affect the other male. Sungmin was left speechless, so he kept quiet. Kyuhyun on the other hand, continued with his interview with Sungmin.

"If you like storytelling, what story is your beloved?"Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun before answering.

"Yours." Sungmin simply said. "I've always admired your loyalty and courage when it comes to love." He added with full sincerity although it hurts him knowing that he was not the person Kyuhyun loves.

"Loyalty." Kyuhyun repeated. He looked back in the past and tried to recall his memories about love and loyalty. 'Would I still be loyal if I haven't been thinking about her at all?' Kyuhyun thought. "Can we come back now?" Kyuhyun requested. Sungmin was surprised and disappointed. He didn't want to end their night yet. "I am not in the right disposition to look for her right now." Kyuhyun stood up and carried the bags. He looked down on Sungmin and smiled. "But I enjoyed tonight." He walked away towards the car to avoid saying much more than that. Sungmin had to stay for a while and calm down before he joined Kyuhyun in the car.

 

While they were silently driving, Kyuhyun hummed a song. Sungmin recognized it as the one Kyuhyun listened to- It's you.

"I like that song." Kyuhyun commented. "Too bad, I don't know the words."

Sungmin opened the audio of his car and started selecting songs.

"I could play it if you want." Kyuhyun looked at him and remembered something back in the library.

"I heard you sing back in the library. Why don't you just sing it? I want to hear your voice again." Kyuhyun requested.

Sungmin was contemplating whether to comply or not, but after seeing Kyuhyun's expectant face, he turned off the car's audio and started singing as he drove the car.

 

♫♪ I don’t need anyone else, it’s only you
When you ask again, it’s only you ♪♫

Sungmin started with a trembling voice. He was indirectly confessing to Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun himself was the one who asked him to sing it. Could it be that somehow Kyuhyun is falling for him?

♫♪ Even if you already have another love
I can’t forget you, I can’t turn back around ♪♫

It's impossible. Kyuhyun loves Sooyoung, the maiden in the legend. However, whether he was Minsung or Sungmin, he still loves Kyuhyun no matter what.

♫♪ The moment my eyes began to burn
The moment my heart was captured by you
I have no regret, I chose you
That’s right, it’s you ♪♫

Sungmin was hurt remembering Minsung's memory, but she did not regret loving him. Even if he is Sungmin right now, he would still continue the same love the princess had for Kyuhyun, maybe even more.

♫♪ Oh whatever anyone (anyone) says, it doesn’t matter to me
Oh whoever (whoever) curses me, I’ll only look at you
Even when I’m born again, it’s still only you
(Still Still) Even as time goes by ♪♫

It might sound insane for other people, but he doesn't care. He was born again, and yet his heart still longs for Kyuhyun. There's no other one who could replace that man in his heart.

♫♪ I know our love is wrong
I can’t give up, I can’t let you go ♪♫

His love for a man may seem inappropriate for other people, but he's in too deep to go back. He might be manipulating Kyuhyun to fall for him, but he has no other choice. He could only wish that in the end, the man sitting beside him right now, would return his feelings.

 

Kyuhyun was silently listening to Sungmin's calming voice, trying so hard to connect that song for him and Sooyoung, but he can't. Still, that song was something close to his heart. The song reached its end, but Kyuhyun wanted to hear it more.

"Can you sing it again?"

Sungmin repeated the song with much more confidence. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and enjoyed the song one more time while he slowly sang it together with Sungmin.

 

 

 

Credits:

Translation of Super Junior - It's You: http://imop.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/super-junior-its-you-lyrics/

Wisdom of Heechul: WikiHow

PBS Kids: http://pbskids.org/