Four

A Royal Curse

Sungmin stirred from his sleep hours after the incident happened with Kyuhyun. He tried to change positions, but his back was hurting, and it seems like the bed was too firm than his own bed at home. Realizing this, he slowly sat up and massaged his tired muscles. His eyes were still close because they were still hurting from too much crying the night before.

"Good morning Sleeping Beauty, or should I say good afternoon?"

Sungmin instantly opened his eyes upon hearing an unfamiliar voice. He saw Heechul sitting on a chair near the study table at the left side of the room. He was about to scream, but he realized that they were inside Hangeng's room. He calmed himself a bit before talking to Heechul.

"Where's Hangeng?" Sungmin asked. His throat was hurting and dry. Heechul offered him a glass of water, and he gladly accepted it.

"He went to the employee's lounge to make lunch. You must be hungry by now. Do you want me to call him?"

"No, it's fine." Sungmin was contemplating whether to ask Heechul or not, but his curiosity won. "What are you doing here?"

"I came back last night since I don't like it when people look at me contemptuously. I begged Hangeng to let me in. I'm sorry if I used your name to persuade him. I just want to search for an important topic without feeling uneasy." Heechul said as he try to stick to the story he told Hangeng.

Sungmin was rather understanding. He was nodding in agreement to Heechul's words.

"If Hangeng trusted you and let you in, then you are welcome to come back after opening hours. However, I'm still wondering why are you inside his room?"

It seems like Sungmin still have some trust issues, but Heechul don't mind it a bit. He knew he was not supposed to be there too, but he had to.

"You passed out last night. Hangeng and I were worried about your situation, so we took turns on taking care of you, guarding the library and making food. I also have something to ask you about."

Sungmin then remembered what happened last night. He was in the restaurant with Siwon while waiting for his father when he received an emergency call. They rushed to the hospital and found out that his father was in a comatose state. The flood of emotion came to him and he started crying again.

Heechul was surprised and didn't know what to do. He found a box of napkin tissues on the bedside table and took it. He quickly sat beside Sungmin and hugged him while trying to dry his tears. Sungmin let Heechul comfort him. However, Sungmin remembered something with their close proximity. He remembered that he kissed Kyuhyun that night too. Sungmin stopped crying and slowly brought his hands on his lips. Heechul doesn't need to ask anymore because he got the answer that he was looking for- Sungmin did kissed Kyuhyun that night.

Hangeng entered the room and saw the two male in a quite close and intimate position; Heechul was still hugging Sungmin, and Sungmin's hands was on his lips. Different scenarios came to his mind, and he didn't like any of it.

"What happened?" Hangeng asked, trying to gain the attention of the two males in his bed.

"He suddenly cried, and I was just drying his tears." Heechul quickly replied. "I think he remembered something else and stopped crying." He added to avoid any misunderstandings.

Hangeng placed the tray of food on his study table and approached Sungmin. Heechul stood up and let Hangeng take his place.

"I probably should go now. I'll just come back later to continue looking for that story. See you later."

"Are you sure?" Hangeng asked.

"Yes I am." Heechul replied, and he also mouthed the words, 'take care of him' before he left.

Hangeng found out what happened to Sungmin's father and felt sorry for his friend. Now he really wasn't sure if they could disclose the story about Kyuhyun turning back into a human. Heechul must come back later, so they could discuss it together and conceal the fact from Sungmin for a while.

After eating, Sungmin decided to visit his father before going back home. Hangeng offered to come with him, but Sungmin refused and told him to just stay and rest.

He came to the hospital expecting his father to be awake and waiting for him. He knew that was not possible, but he still kept his hopes up. He was disappointed to see his father's pale and defenseless figure lying on the hospital bed.

Fresh new tears flowed from Sungmin's eyes. He can't accept the fact that his father was badly injured right now. He should have told him how much he love him, how much he miss him and he should have taken more care of his father.

"Father, please wake up. There's a lot of things I still want to talk to you, we are still going to build the library together, and you should also be present to my wedding. You have to wake up father." Sungmin said while clenching his father's hands.

Sungmin stayed for a while until a nurse advised him to go back home and take a rest.  He listened this time since his energy was drained once again.

When he returned home, all of the workers and servants were relieved to see him home. They received the news and were waiting for Sungmin's arrival because they were worried about his condition. Sungmin kindly dismissed them, headed to his room and took a long and relaxing bath. He was thinking about Kyuhyun's statue and the kiss. Part of him wanted Kyuhyun to turn back into a human, but part of him was doubting that his kiss would wake him up.

He finish his bath and saw the head servant placing his food on the table inside his room.

"We understand that you want to be alone right now, so we prepared your food here in your room. If you have any more request, please don't hesitate to tell me master." She said.

"I just want to know where are the documents that father brought with him."

"We didn't received any packages nor documents when your father arrived. It must be still in the library."

"Thank you. That's all for now." Sungmin said and the servant was ready to leave. "By the way, I will head to the library tonight. I might stay the night there, so please don't wait for me. I'll be fine." Sungmin added and showed a small smile that he could muster.

"I see. I will inform the others. Enjoy your meal master."

Sungmin changed in a comfortable pants and a thin sweater and headed out. He texted Hangeng to inform him about his arrival. Sungmin decided to use his bicycle instead of his car. He parked his bike in the bike parking metals and walked to the back door. When he arrived, Hangeng was fidgeting while waiting for him. Hangeng saw and greeted him.

"Hey Sungmin! What made you decide to come here?"

"Good evening too. I was told that the documents that came with Kyuhyun are here. I'm planning to start the translation to surprise my father."

"Is that so? Why not come back tomorrow? It's too late now. It's better if you take a rest."

"Is Heechul here?"

"Ahh ... yes. Why, do you want to ask him something?" With Hangeng's suspicious answers, Sungmin narrowed his eyes.

"Are you hiding something from me?"

"Huh? No!"

"You know, I don't mind if you made friends with Heechul. He's nice, but I'm still your best friend." Sungmin said as he forced his way inside.

Sungmin wanted to look at the statue and for Heechul, but Hangeng showed him where the old scripts and records were. Sungmin wore his fabric gloves and carefully opened one of the scrolls. Hangeng stayed with him, and it was annoying Sungmin.

"You could return to your task or to Heechul. I'm fine being alone."

"I could help you, you know. Not the translating, but I'm good with handling old artifacts."

"They were preserved perfectly, It's not as brittle as some other scrolls that we had. I could handle them alright. Please, I'll be fine."

Hangeng reluctantly left and immediately looked for Heechul, who was lying on his side on his laid duvet with a small camp lamplight. He was leisurely reading a manga and was laughing crazily.

"Heechul." Hangeng whispered in a stern voice.

"What? We're alone aren't we?"

"Sungmin just came, and it seems like he would stay for long. What are we going to do?"

"As long as they don't meet, I think it would be fine, but I'm wondering what his reaction would be."

"I told you his father is in the hospital right now, and we cannot let them meet yet. We must have a plan to not make him worry more."

"Okay, fine." Heechul said and sighed. "We'll force him to leave before midnight and do our best to keep Kyuhyun near the lobby. He's heavy even if it's just his feet that were turned into a stone. He also flail like a child. It was a mess putting him back there."

"Are you sure we could do that?" Hangeng said in hesitation.

Heechul showed the remaining contents of his duffel bag- packaging tape and a bundle of rope. It seems like Heechul really did plan about this ahead. He even has his overnight necessities.

 

When it was about fifteen minutes to midnight, Hangeng's phone's alarm went off to remind them about Sungmin and Kyuhyun. The two of them speed-walked to Sungmin's location and entered the room.

"Sungmin?" Hangeng softly called the man, so he won't surprise him.

"What is it!?" Sungmin replied irritatedly.

"Whoa! Easy princess. We're just here to calmly tell you that it's late now, and that you should probably go home and rest." Heechul said.

"Princess? Argh! Did you know that all of this scrolls might probably be about Princess Minsung? I scanned three of the scrolls and I found her name in all of it. Of all the records that we could get our hands on, it has to be about her!"

"Have you read all of it?" Heechul asked in a serious tone.

"How could I? It's hard to translate it that fast."

"Then probably you should not judge her harshly like that."

Heechul's tone was annoying Sungmin, and Hangeng could feel the growing hostility between the two. He needs to put out the fire before it even starts.

"I think we're all just tired. I'll accompany you home Sungmin. It's better to translate with enough rest and clear mind."

"No! I'm not the one who is supposed to leave." Sungmin said while looking at Heechul.

Hangeng slowly approached Sungmin, so he can save the scrolls from Sungmin's wrath. He gently moved Sungmin away from the table and Heechul and walked him stealthily towards the door. Sungmin did not realized that he was being lead away because he kept looking intensely at Heechul, and Heechul was also looking in the same manner while slowly following them.

Ever since Sungmin was young, he did not like Princess Minsung. He hate hearing or seeing her name, so he never once knew her at all. He just can't understand why there is such a person who would do everything to ruin a perfect love. Now that Heechul asked him whether he had read all the scroll, he realized that he has been judging her without enough evidence. Maybe if he translate the whole document, he could understand the legend more, and that he could have a solid reason to hate her. He calmed down when they reached the back door.

"Yah! Why are we here? Let me go." Sungmin said while squirming to free himself from Hangeng's hands.

"Yeah, we're letting you go... home. You should rest and resume translating tomorrow after getting enough rest. I'll call one of your chauffeur."

"No need. I'm calm now. I'll try to start translating now. I understand already. I'll try to know Minsung more." Sungmin said, so Hangeng would let him stay more. He saw Heechul smiled at his words.

"Heechul won't you help me?" Sungmin begged.

"I'll help you go home? Okay!" Heechul opened the door with ease. It seems like Hangeng taught him how to disable the security.

"Why are you all insisting me to leave? Did you plan on spending the night alone?" Sungmin said as he was on the threshold and firmly grasping the side of the door.

"Yes we are, and we don't plan on having any witnesses doing it." Heechul said.

"Huh? What are we going to do?" Hangeng asked Heechul in a hushed tone.

"Fine, I get it! The library is big. I'm sure I won't see nor hear you if I stayed in that room. You could do it wherever you want, just let me go."

Sungmin's words were being ignored as the two were intent on pushing Sungmin out. It was already past midnight and Kyuhyun must have turned into a human already. Sungmin suddenly stopped resisting, and they were glad he did. However, his next word shocked them all.

"Kyuhyun?"

 

 

 

 

a/n: Another fast update! Yay! I hope you're not running out of patience since there's no real Kyumin moment yet.

 

Wait...

|д・)?

Is it safe to come out yet? I'll accept bricks that you'll throw at me if there's an accompanied comment (fishing for comment so smoothly [no, not really]).

 

Enjoy the chapter while I die here... d (✖‿✖) b