Twenty-One

A Royal Curse

After hours of driving with little breaks here and there, Sungmin and Siwon finally reached the ferry at Mokpo. While waiting for their ship, Siwon invited Sungmin to eat inside the rest area.

"Do you want to eat something in particular?" Siwon asked.

"Let's try those hot dogs." Sungmin suggested as he walked over the stall. Siwon followed closely behind.

They purchased two hot dogs and drinks. When Sungmin was about to get his wallet, Siwon already paid the bill.

"This one's on me" Siwon said.

"Sure." Sungmin replied. To be fair, he took the tray of their food instead.

Siwon's hospitality didn't bother Sungmin. He could always pay for their food whenever he wants to. What pestered Sungmin was Siwon's later actions, especially when they were looking for a spot to eat.

There were many available seats, but Siwon specifically took the one with only two chairs. The table was so small, that it doesn't have enough room for personal space. Let's say it's better to occupy a table that is enough for the two of them, but Sungmin doesn't need help to be seated. His hands may be full, but he's still a man who could do those things by himself.

"It's fine. I could sit by myself." Sungmin said when Siwon pulled a chair for him.

"I just thought you needed some help." Siwon explained.

"Thank you, but I could manage."

Siwon nodded and let go of the chair, then he sat on another one across. Sungmin placed the tray on the table and sat down without difficulty. Before Siwon took a bite of his hot dog, he told Sungmin something that would completely change their lives. They just didn't know it yet.

"You know what hot dogs remind me of?"

"Hmm? No, what does it reminds you?" Sungmin curiously asked.

"My sister."

"You have a sister?" Sungmin asked. He thought for a while, but his curiosity and innocence won, so he continued his question. "Does she looks like a hot dog?"

Siwon was about to reply, but it took him great effort not to spew out his food in front of Sungmin, after hearing the man's latter question. He swallowed his food with great difficulty and sipped his juice before answering.

"I do have a sister," He said. He tried his best to keep a straight face before continuing. "and she kinda looks like a hot dog, but that's not why I remember her. She's in America right now, but she's coming home soon."

"Oh, I see. I wonder how she looks like. A hot dog huh?" Sungmin said naively.

"You know, she'll be here before that library event you are going to hold. Maybe I should bring her too, so you could meet a hot dog person in real life."

"Aish! You reminded me of that event again." Sungmin whined.

"At least you could look forward for something else." Siwon replied.

"You're just joking when you said she looks like a hot dog, right?"

Siwon chuckled before replying, "I never saw her like that, but since you said it, she's starting to look like one."

"You are mean to your sister."

"It's okay, we are both adopted." Siwon said before he suddenly became serious. "I'm just glad someone was willing to adopt both of us. It took us a while before getting fostered, but I can't just leave her alone in that orphanage."

Sungmin smiled warmly at Siwon. "Alright, I take back my words. You are not so mean to her at all."

"I can't, especially since she just finished her psychotherapy."

Sungmin was taken aback. Siwon waited for a guardian that would adopt him and his sister together even if it would take them years. He was certain that Siwon could have easily find a family, but he did not leave his sister alone. Could this man in front of him be anymore kind?

"She must be special huh?" Sungmin asked.

"She is, and I'm sure if you meet her, you'll see how special she is."

 

They rode the ferry and arrived at the island around six o'clock in the evening. They could have enjoyed the beautiful display of sunset if they were not yet exhausted. It was a good thing that their rental car was already waiting for them at the port.

Siwon drove again, but this time, they headed to the hotel. Sungmin felt grateful upon seeing the building of the hotel from the distance, but it disappeard when they were stuck at the reception.

"Excuse me, but I reserved for two separate rooms." Siwon said when he received only the keys for one.

"I'm sorry. There must be something wrong with the system. I'll try to check if there's more available room." The receptionist explained.

Time passed by, and Sungmin's energy and patience already reached the pit bottom. He stood up from the receiving area and talked at the desk.

"Excuse me, but is there something wrong with our reservation?"

"We checked, and you did get a reservation for two rooms, but the hotel is packed right now with visitors and the only room available is this two-bed room."

"But we need separate rooms." Siwon kindly expressed.

"No it's fine." Sungmin interjected. "We'll take the room."

"Thank you sir!" The receptionist said in relief. "Don't worry. We would give you gift checks and discounts. Thank you for choosing our hotel. Have a great stay."

Sungmin just nodded and took the keys. He turned around and gave the spare to Siwon.

"I'm tired. Let's just go to sleep." Sungmin suggested.

Siwon agreed tiredly, but once Sungmin walked away, he did several fist bump in the air. He really could feel it. The stars are aligning together for him right now.

 

Once they were in the room, Sungmin immediately went inside the bathroom. Siwon kept pacing around the room, trying to calm his racing heart. It's not healthy to think such lewd images, especially since they were going to share a room together. He was walking around in circles as his mind was working double-time to think of ways to control himself. When Sungmin got out of the bath with his pyjamas on, he saw Siwon in his tracksuit.

"Where are you going? It's late now." Sungmin asked.

"I'll just go run outside for a while. You don't have to wait for me. You could rest now if you want to." Siwon told Sungmin before leaving the room in a haste.

Sungmin just shrugged and got his phone from his satchel. He dialed Hangeng's number and talked to him and Heechul. He was lying comfortably on the bed as he talked on the phone. Since he was alone, he freely complained about his exhaustion and the issue about the hotel.

"You are just too nice sometimes." Sungmin heard Heechul said on the other line. He chuckled as he imagined his face right now. Heechul was probably showing Hangeng a disapproved face.

"Thank you Heechul hyung."

"I was not complimenting you brat!" Both Sungmin and Hangeng laughed at the comment.

"Is Siwon behaving himself?" Heechul suddenly asked.

Sungmin thought for a while before answering. "He's acting strange, but nothing to be suspicious about, I guess."

"Just tell me if he's being naughty, and I'll come as quick as I could."

"What's wrong with Siwon?" Hangeng asked.

"You are dense and insensitive sometimes." Heechul retorted.

"Please don't fight while I'm gone. I want to see who could hit harder blows." Sungmin said to break the building conflict.

"Oh please! You know who would win." Heechul replied.

"Yes. I root for Hangeng hyung."

"You're betting on the wrong side honey." Heechul warned.

"I'll make your favorite Beijing fried rice once you get back." Hangeng squeezed.

"I think I'm putting my money on the right one." Sungmin replied with a chortle.

"You're betraying me for food? I'm hurt." Heechul feigned.

"He doesn't look sincere Sungmin." Hangeng tattled.

They were having such a good time talking, that they forgot about the time. They were only reminded of Sungmin's busy schedule when he yawned.

"You should probably sleep now. You're still busy tomorrow." Heechul suggested.

"Oh, okay." Sungmin said. Disappointment was apparent in his voice.

"Wait!" Hangeng added just before Sungmin hit the end call button.

"Hmm?" Sungmin asked.

"Good night."

Those were the last words Sungmin heard on the other line. Those words also made his heart skip several beats. He checked the time, and yes, it was past midnight. He was worried that Siwon was still not back, but Kyuhyun's voice, though short, was enough to send him to dreamland.

Siwon came back all sweaty and tired hours after the call. After taking a short shower, he instantly hit his bed. Thanks to his fatigue, he was able to sleep without thinking about Sungmin. It also helped him blocked Sungmin's voice as the other man whispered Kyuhyun's name in his slumber.

 

When Sungmin blinked his eyes open, He saw Siwon already prepared in his business attire. The other man was sitting on the couch across the room, watching him sleep.

"Why you did not woke me up?" Sungmin slurred as he adorably rubbed his eyes and ruffled his hair messier.

"We still have plenty of time. I just don't want to disturb your sleep. You looked peaceful." Siwon reasoned. He then stood up and dusted his pants. "I'll just go and wait for you downstairs, so we could have breakfast together. After that, we'll head to the site." Before he could even move a muscle, Sungmin replied.

"I'll just change real quick. Let's go out together."

 

After eating, they drove to a property not far from the hotel. They could already see workers laying the foundation down. They met the chief engineer and some of his men to tour them around the safe area on the site. Since Siwon was the architect, he carefully checked everything and saw that his blueprint was being followed exactly the way he made it.

"Up to what point does this property extends?" Sungmin inquired. He wanted to see how big was the land, and what other amenities he could add.

"There were posts located to the boundaries of the property. We would fence it once the main construction is done. However, we are going to leave that hill, on the left side, alone. That is still part of the property, but there's nothing next to it, so we'll keep it that way."

"Great. I'd like to leave some places untouched as much as possible. Can we see it?" Sungmin inquired.

"Of course. It's actually a nice trail spot if it's managed well."

They headed to the hill to inspect the place. At the bottom of the trail, Siwon and Sungmin removed their coats to make their hike easier. While walking, Sungmin can't help, but think that the place looked oddly familiar. However, he was not able to remember where he saw that place because the engineer was still conversing with him.

They had a short lunch break, where Sungmin treated every workers over a small meal. After the break, they discussed about the things that they should expect during the construction. They also estimated the time of completion and the finalization of interior designing of the whole facilities. It was already afternoon when they finished every meeting appointed that day.

 

When they headed for the car, Sungmin kept feeling his pocket in search for his phone. He tried to look even in his bag, but he cannot find it.

"What's wrong Sungmin?" Siwon asked when he noticed Sungmin's worried face.

"My phone, it's gone."

"Where did you last remember putting it?"

"It was just in the pocket of my coat before we went to the hill." After finishing his sentence, Sungmin realized where his phone could have been. He ran away and headed back to the hill.

"Sungmin wait! Where are you going?" Siwon asked as he chased Sungmin.

"My phone must have fell somewhere on that hill. I'm going to find it back."

Sungmin needed that phone. It was his only connection to Kyuhyun at the moment. In speaking of Kyuhyun, the only photos of him were saved on that device. He must get it back. He won't feel secure if he won't be able to find it again.

They went back to the same track they walked before. Sungmin and Siwon's head kept turning to different directions as they look for the missing phone. Siwon tried to call the phone several times, but they still can't locate it. They walked and walked until both of them struggled to advance further. Still, they did not gave up looking.

It was getting dark, yet they were still determined to find it. However, no matter how much their mind wanted to continue their search, Their body were already giving up. It would only be a matter of time until one of them would get into a sort of accident. And it happened. Sungmin was blindly walking up the hill, when he did not notice a particularly high drop in front of him. It was too late when he realized. He was not able to hold onto anything, so he fall hard on the ground. When he fell, Siwon quickly came to his side.

"Are you okay Sungmin?"

"Yes I'm fine." Sungmin replied as he tried to stand up. "I just- Ouch!" He sat back when he felt a pricking pain on his right ankle.

Siwon checked his foot and saw that it was swelling. "You sprained your ankle Sungmin. We should get this treated as soon as possible."

"No. It could wait. I need to find my phone." Sungmin insisted.

"Don't be stubborn Sungmin. I can't let you force yourself like this anymore." Siwon reprimanded.

Sungmin was hopeless. He started tearing up, thinking that he won't be able to retrieve his phone back.

"But I have to find it. I have to." Sungmin can't hold back anymore, so he cried.

Knowing how helplessly in love Siwon is, we are not surprised anymore that he sighed and gave up. He turned and presented his back on Sungmin.

"Hop on. We need to hurry up if you still want to find your phone." Siwon offered.

"But you're tired." Sungmin protested.

Siwon turned around and smiled towards Sungmin. "Didn't I already told you I would do anything for you? Now climb on before I change my mind and carry you to the hospital instead." After hearing those words, Sungmin did not waste time and circled his arms on Siwon's neck. Siwon gently clutched Sungmin's legs and braced it to his sides. He carefully hoist their bodies and continued looking for the phone. Even if his legs were already giving up just carrying his own weight, he cannot let Sungmin down. He would find that phone no matter what it takes.

It was already dark, but they were still on the hill looking. Sungmin was about to tell Siwon to head down when they heard a brittle cracking sound. Siwon looked down and felt happy at his discovery. When he lifted up his foot, his heart dropped to the most bottom part of his body.

"Sungmin." He called so very slowly. "I think I just found your phone." He paused, afraid to continue his words. "or at least the remnants of it."

Sungmin looked down and saw his phone. Its screen was crushed into million pieces. The best part was, his cellphone was divided into two equal parts. 

Siwon carefully put him down, so Sungmin could retrieved the remains of his soul. I meant phone. After picking up most of it, Siwon carried Sungmin down back to car. They drove to the hospital in total silence. Siwon did not dared to speak up, and Sungmin felt awful.

 

 

 

 

a/n: Uhh... I should probably save myself now, shouldn't I?

Oh look! What's that behind you?

*Houdini-ed myself*

 

 

 

PS: I don't think Siwon's adoptive sister looks like a hot dog.

*rolls eyes* Thanks to Sungmin, now I do.