Twenty-Two

A Royal Curse

"Sungmin I didn't mean to break it." Siwon explained to Sungmin again and again when they reached the parking lot of the hospital. "Please forgive me." He begged.

Siwon had to appease Sungmin because the man won't budge out of the car. Sungmin's ankle was getting worse and worse, but he won't let Siwon help him get inside the infirmary. He knew that he was being unreasonable and making things hard for an already worn-out Siwon, but he was still bitter about the accidental demise of his phone. Phones weren't meant to be a weighing scale for two persons. Siwon should have known that, but Sungmin also knew that it was not Siwon's intention for that to happen. He just can't help but blame the innocent man, who was pleading for his forgiveness.

"I'll replace it tomorrow as soon as possible." Siwon offered as he ran out of ideas to please Sungmin.

"There's no need for that." Sungmin responded after Siwon's not-so-brief monologue. He looked longingly at the damaged SD card on his palm. "I cannot retrieve the photos anyway."

Sungmin felt like crying after losing the only pictures of Kyuhyun he had. Even the image that allowed Sungmin to hope that he still have a chance in Kyuhyun's heart was gone as well. If he was only awake when Kyuhyun was hugging him, he would not be this depressed.

Siwon felt terrible. He know the fear of losing something irreplaceable. He always feared Sooyoung's word to him. He knew that Minsung never returned his feelings, even if no one could ever replace her place in his heart. He always feared that he could never have her, or him, in this situation, but he didn't know how it exactly feels like. He was out of words. He just knew that he have to work harder and more careful to avoid making Sungmin upset again. Siwon's thoughts were interrupted by Sungmin's small voice.

"My feet are already bothering me, and I can't walk by myself yet." Sungmin muttered.

He may be angry, but he cannot stay mad for long. Sungmin is not that wicked to make an innocent man take all the blame for the problem he started. After making Siwon suffer physically and mentally, he's too bashful to ask for another favor. He looked at Siwon timidly, hoping to get some mercy. "Can you please help me?"

"You don't even have to ask Sungmin." The huge boulder of guilt was just lifted off Siwon's shoulder that very moment.

Siwon exited the car and pivoted to the passenger side. He excitedly opened the door as he anticipate his next action. He never knew that a day would come where he would be able to carry his male princess the way he always dreamt about.

He entered the hospital in a controlled speed. With his genteel and commanding aura, he attracted the attention of everyone in their path. In no time, nurses flocked to assist them. Though they expressed their will to help, all that they really do was feast on the beauties in front of them. To Sungmin's relief, a doctor came to their aid, and shooed away unnecessary audience.

"How long since you got this? It look so swollen and blue already." The doctor asked. He tone was almost scolding.

Sungmin did not speak. It was his fault that it got worse, but he doesn't want to hear any negative words directed to him. Siwon being so attentive and observant towards Sungmin, noted Sungmin's discomfort, so he did something against his own principle.

"I got lost on the way here, and I have no idea how to administer first aid. It's my fault. I'm sorry."

Siwon looked at Sungmin, silently telling not to worry anymore, but it only made Sungmin guilty a hundred folds. Siwon lied for him. Sungmin felt that he doesn't deserve this kind of treatment from him. From the very first time he met Siwon, the man has only his best intention for him. It was just Siwon's help were always done at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I understand. His injury doesn't look that serious, but let's run some X-ray test to see if there's internal damage." The doctor said.

After making sure that Sungmin was safe from further damage, the doctor gave the pair advices to help Sungmin to recover fast.

"I'll put an air splint ankle brace to minimize the pressure on your foot. I suggest that you use crutches to help you walk around, but I prefer you not to walk at all anytime soon to speed the healing process. Here's your prescription to lessen the pain and inflammation. If you stick to my words, you'll heal in no time. I'm sorry that your vacation has to be reset in some ways."

"It's fine. Actually, we're going back to Seoul the day after tomorrow, if it's possible." Siwon replied.

"I could make arrangements to the hospital nearest you, so a doctor could monitor your injury."

After getting all they need at the hospital, they went back to the car. Sungmin was walking far behind Siwon. He paused several seconds before he took another step. Sometimes he would massage his wrists and hands when he put unnecessary weight on them. It was obvious that he's having a hard time using the crutches. Siwon offered to help again, but Sungmin declined. He's mad for another new reason.

"Why did you move the date?" Didn't we talked about making this trip short?

"We did, but you also have to rest. I'm rescheduling the meeting tomorrow."

"I'm fine. There's no need to change anything." Sungmin insisted.

"Please listen to me just this once." Siwon requested. "Although I want you to do whatever you wish for, I can't sacrifice your health. You are my responsibility while you are still with me, and I won't let anything bad happen to you anymore. I- I just care for you Sungmin."

"Okay." Sungmin apprehensively replied. He did not argue anymore, for both of them were already weary, and their bodies and mind ready to give up.

 

They went back to the hotel with Siwon carrying him. Sungmin was not even protesting. He was too tired to fight. Besides, being pampered doesn't sounds bad anyways. He just noted in his mind to reciprocate Siwon's kindness in the future. How he would do it? He was still not sure.

When they arrived back at the hotel, it was already nearing midnight. Sungmin was glad that not many people were out in the lobby. It was embarrassing enough that he got injured, more so being carried like a bride.

Siwon carefully sat him on the bed, making sure not to hit Sungmin's right ankle. He asked Sungmin before standing back straight.

"Do you need help with anything?"

"I could manage by myself." Sungmin responded.

"I see." Siwon was about to stand, when Sungmin held his right arm. "Is there something wrong? Are you hurting?" Siwon asked more out of concern. Sungmin just shook his head in answer.

"I-" Sungmin started, but paused. "I'm sorry and thank you." He continued after swallowing the pride that was stopping him. "I'm sorry for putting you in a difficult situation. You even lied for me. Thank you for everything and for putting up with me." Sungmin expressed with genuine sincerity.

It took Siwon all he got not to kiss Sungmin. He didn't want to scare the man, nor wound their budding and still delicate relationship. He even held back the urge to simply hug him. To acknowledge Sungmin's gratitude, he just smiled in return.

"I'll leave for a while, so you can change in more comfortable clothes."

Siwon left and did not returned soon. This time, he just killed time walking around. He was too tired to go for a run. When he returned, Sungmin was already fast asleep.

 

Sungmin stirred from his sleep as the sunlight, that was sipping through the gaps of the curtains, blinded him. He covered his face with another pillow to block the light, but now, he had trouble going back to sleep. He was still tired and was not intending to get up, but his body was not cooperating with him. He whined and kicked the bed to convey his irritation. When he felt the same piercing pain he felt yesterday, he was reminded of his injured condition. He tried to suppress the pain, but it was too much. He let out a small squeal as he slowly sat on the bed.

"Sungmin!" Siwon shouted from his sleep.

Siwon was woken up by the small cry inside the room. He suddenly sat up and turned to look at Sungmin. He immediately got up the bed and approached the man.

"Are you okay?" Sungmin just nodded his head. "Good. Do you want me to get breakfast for you?" He was answered by another nod.

Siwon called for a room service for two. They were both silent while waiting for food. To break it, Sungmin spoke.

"Siwon," He called. When he got Siwon's attention, he continued, "can I borrow your phone?"

"My phone? Sure."Siwon handed Sungmin his phone. He saw Sungmin having a deep thought before dialing a number.

"This is Lee Sungmin. Is Hangeng around?" Sungmin said. He wanted to call Hangeng directly, but he could not remember the number.

The other person on the line told him that Hangeng was sleeping in the room together with the new guy, who was translating the scrolls. Not wanting to disturb their rest, Sungmin just left a message to the caller for Hangeng and Heechul.

"Just tell them that I lost my phone, and I'm going to come back later than planned. Also, tell them not to worry." After hearing the response, Sungmin ended the call.

"In speaking of call, I have to rearrange the meeting with the representative of those who were protesting about the building project."

"You don't have to worry about that. I could handle it myself." Sungmin countered.

"No. You stay here and rest. I'll arrange everything. There's a probability that they would act aggressive, particularly if we cancel today's appointment, so I'll just invite them over here for lunch tomorrow." Siwon suggested.

"It'd be better if we stick to the agreed meeting place."

"It means you have to walk somehow." Siwon opposed.

"I'm feeling a lot better now. I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow." Siwon dropped the subject seeing that Sungmin would not leave room for arguments.

 

Their whole day was spent with Siwon rearranging the meeting and taking care of a very bored Sungmin. Siwon let Sungmin have the right with the remote for the television, but Sungmin just flipped channels one by one, until he got fed up and ended up turning off the set entirely.

In the end, Siwon let Sungmin help him with their proposal. They came up with better plan than before, and they were confident enough that they could convince the environmentalist group to continue with their project. Still, Siwon was afraid. He talked to the representative, and he expressed displeasure, saying that Sungmin thought highly of himself by cancelling the meeting on the day itself. Siwon already apologized, but he can't easily erase his worry for Sungmin. He still trusted him, but if anything goes wrong, he would be ready to take Sungmin's side.

 

"Sungmin, are you okay?" Siwon asked as he knock on the restroom door inside the humble headquarter of the group.

"I don't think I can do this." Sungmin responded. From the time he stepped outside their car, Sungmin's heart did not calmed down even for a bit. He could just feel it. He would fail. He could see himself hearing their judgments and insults while he fail his father's expectations of him.

"Sungmin, just let me inside. I'll help you." Siwon pleaded.

Sungmin took a deep breath before opening the door a bit. He peeked at Siwon and when he saw that the man was alone, he quickly let the man in. That was when Siwon saw his distraught figure. Sungmin was pale, drenched in sweat and breathing hard. It was not a good sight, and it would surely leave a bad impression. Siwon immediately took out his handkerchief and gently patted Sungmin's face.

Sungmin forcefully shook his head. "I really can't do this. Let's just go back." He begged.

Siwon firmly held his shoulder. "We've gone this far Sungmin. I'm won't leave you alone. You could do this." He reassured.

Out of the blue, Sungmin remembered something. He took Siwon's hands and cupped his own face with it. He took several deep breaths while recalling Kyuhyun's advice.

"Calm down. Don't be too harsh on yourself... Please, stop thinking what others would think about you. Your actions are not inadequate."

With Siwon's hand, Sungmin was able to reenact the scene in his head. However, the hands that held his face were different. Kyuhyun's hands were rough and calloused from hard work. Kyuhyun also held his face with conviction and assurance while Siwon's soft hand held his face like he was holding a precious and fragile treasure. Though Kyuhyun and Siwon's hand felt different, it seemed so real as if Kyuhyun was telling those words to him again face-to-face.

When he opened his eyes, Siwon's face displayed bewilderment. He almost felt sorry for using the man, but he's also thankful that Siwon kept his words and stayed with him.

"I'm sorry for worrying you. I think I could do it now." Sungmin said.

Siwon was out of words. Still shocked with the intimate gesture that Sungmin initiated himself, he was only able to nod his head.

They left the confine of the restroom and headed to the small office where the meeting would be held. While walking, Siwon tried his best to compose his heart and remove the sunny smile on his face.

When they arrived, the chairman was already waiting impatiently for them.

"Is this how you treat lowly people Mr. Lee?" The man greeted. Sungmin flinched at the words, but easily got back on the right track.

"I'm sorry for imposing inconvenience to everyone, especially to you Mr. Shin."

"You should be! You should also cease the construction of that library you are building. We don't need that kind of facility in here." Mr. Shin said straightforwardly.

"The building permit was approve directly by the municipal. They already consented the construction." Siwon explained.

"The government know nothing about the nature. They only care for the money they could get from the taxes that you had to pay." Mr. Shin argued.

"And that's why we need your help." Sungmin said, which shocked Mr. Shin.

"Help? What do you need my help for?"

"I want to keep the place untouched as much as possible. I believe that a person could enjoy a good book in a calm and peaceful place. The nature could easily provide that atmosphere." Sungmin clarified. "There's also a hill with a nice sight. I wanted to cultivate it, so people could trail on top of it. Sadly, it seem too dangerous to let anyone wander around. My injury speaks for it." He added.

Mr. Shin just noticed Sungmin's injured ankle and the crutches. He liked the idea and proposal, so he felt bad for acting rude before. As an apology, he agreed easily and pledge a close collaboration with Sungmin. Sungmin invited the man to come over the construction site to meet and be familiarized with the workers.

By the end of the meeting, everything went better than expected. Siwon proudly patted Sungmin's shoulder.

"Good job." Siwon congratulated.

"I won't be able to do it without your help. Thank you." Siwon's confidence boosted.

 

They were able to complete every appointment by afternoon. When they were done, they immediately left to catch the boat that would take them back to Mokpo then drive from there back to Seoul. It was around nine in the evening when they reached the port of the main land. Sungmin borrowed Siwon's phone again to call the library.

"Hello? This is Sungmin. I'm on my way-" Before Sungmin could finish his words, a worried shout sounded on the other line.

"Sungmin is that you? Where have you been? Don't you know how worried we are?" Heechul screamed. His worry was even heard by Siwon.

"I called the other day to tell you guys that I'll come back later than planned. Didn't any staff told you that?"

"No one told us anything. What really happened?" Heechul responded.

"She must have forgotten." Sungmin replied. "I'm sorry for not directly telling you. I injured my ankle and lost my phone here." He added solemnly.

"Injured? Lost your phone? Are you okay now? We were really worried especially Kyuhyun."

"Kyuhyun was worried?" Sungmin asked in amazement. He's happy that the man actually worried for him.

"Yeah. He did not went out yesterday. We waited for your call the whole evening. I tell you, everyone was restless."

"I'm sorry. Don't worry anymore. I'm on my way back." Sungmin declared.

"You better be. I'll tell Hangeng and Kyuhyun once he turned back. Take care and see you later Sungmin." Heechul bid.

After the conversation, Sungmin returned Siwon's phone.

 

While driving back to the library, Siwon started a conversation.

"Who's Kyuhyun?" He was quite jealous, but he had to assess the situation first before concluding anything.

"Kyuhyun?" Sungmin repeated, surprised by the sudden question.

Who really was Kyuhyun to him anyway? Just a friend or more than that? He wanted to tell that Kyuhyun was more than a friend, but he knew that it was just a wishful thinking.

"He's just a friend." Sungmin added. Siwon was satisfied with the brief answer, but he kept repeating the name inside his head because it sounded familiar.

 

When the clock struck midnight, Kyuhyun came back to life. He saw Hangeng and Heechul, at the back of the library, looking more calm than before.

"Is there any news about Sungmin?" He immediately asked.

"He called earlier. He said he was injured and lost his phone, but he's on his way back." Heechul said.

"I see." Kyuhyun breathed. "I... I'll just go for a walk." He excused.

"Wait, where are you going? Don't you need to change first?"

"I won't go far."

Kyuhyun knew something would happen. He felt it. He just didn't know that it would be something bad. Somehow, he was blaming himself for letting Sungmin go. He badly needed that walk to cool his head.

 

After a few hours, Sungmin and Siwon arrived at the library. Heechul and Hangeng quickly greeted the pair. They saw that Sungmin was fine except for the injury. To help, they volunteered to carry Sungmin's bag and luggage inside.

Sungmin did not want to bother Siwon further, but he cannot also invite the man to rest inside. He just decided to send him home right away.

"Thank you for everything. I would invite you inside, but there's not comfortable place to rest in. It would be better if you go home and rest."

"Don't worry, that's what I'm planning to do anyway. Are you sure you don't need help to walk inside?"

"Sungmin?" Kyuhyun butted in.

"Kyuhyun." Sungmin whispered. He could clearly see the agony in Kyuhyun's face.

Kyuhyun rushed to Sungmin's side. He immediately saw the injured foot. Although he was not sure what was the thing on Sungmin's ankle, the crutches was enough evidence that the man was having trouble walking.

"What happened?" He asked.

"Nothing serious. I just hurt my ankle." Sungmin replied.

Without asking for permission, Kyuhyun swept Sungmin off his feet to carry him inside.

Without even leaving their spot, Sungmin protested."Please put me down."

The unexpected gesture painted his face a faint shade of red and made his heart go wild. His attraction towards Kyuhyun would be easily get caught, and he did not want that to happen this soon. Besides, Siwon was still there, and it would be too cruel to let him see that sight.

Kyuhyun hesitantly put him down. Siwon instantly picked the fallen crutches and handed it back to Sungmin.

"Thank you Siwon. Please go home safely." Sungmin insisted Siwon to go without sounding rude. Siwon listened. He walked back to his car, but not without looking back at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun was also staring at him; they were both scrutinizing each other.

"Why does he looks familiar?" Siwon thought.

However, Kyuhyun's thought was different.

"Did the princess lied when she said she loved me more than him?"

 

 

 

a/n: I exceeded my personal limit of 1000-2000+ words. XD

This is the 2nd chapter with 3000+ The first one was the Kyumin "date." (It should really not count because of the lyrics)

The update was a bit late (LOL! Late!?) because I was having a problem with Simin/Wonmin staying a day more in Jeju. (Stupid me put all the important meetings I could think of, on the first day)

Your author cleverly sealed that hole for you guys. (Bragging alert!)

Hehe...

Anyway, he said he doesn't want to get physically close with a man, but he keep carrying Sungmin by his own will.

Tsk! Stay true to your words Mr. Statue From The Past! (What a long name you got there)

My eye is swollen from allergy, and I don't know what I'm allergic at!!!

It would be more annoying, but I wish it affected both of my eyes, so my face would still looks symetrical (Random author is random)

Boom! An author's note within author's note. 

I just blew your mind.

ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)