Thirty-Seven

A Royal Curse

"Kyuhyun?" Heechul called from the outside of the room. When no one answered, he entered. He was welcomed by the sight of a frightened Sooyoung. He felt his rage built up. He ignored the fact that Sooyoung was already terrified and past her limits. He was about to lash on her, but he saw the scroll crumpled on the floor.

He picked it up and read the letter. He was in disbelief. He looked at the poor girl and immediately felt awful. He punished her like that without even knowing her side. All these time, she was just trying to help her friend. It may not be the best idea, and so was his way.

He stood up, wanting to go somewhere away from Sooyoung. Seeing her like that only added burden to his already heavy guilt.

He tried to walk away, but he only staggered. He anchored himself using the bed and tried to step forward just to have his right leg hugged by Sooyoung.

"You have to return us back." She said. "We don't belong here, and I need to bring Princess Minsung back. Princess Minsung..." She turned her head around the room as if looking for something. "Princess Minsung... I have to find her!" She stood up and headed for the door. "You'll return us back. You have to return us back." She then left the room in a haste.

Once the maiden was gone, Hangeng entered the room.

"What is she talking about?" He asked. Heechul then let his body fall on the floor. "Heechul!" Hangeng rushed to his side and helped him sit on the bed.

Heechul avoided Hangeng's gaze. Instead, he related a story that he should have told everyone a long time ago.

"I... I need to tell you something."

 

Heechul was resting by the lake at the top of the mountain, enjoying the view. He always feel this unusual form of happiness whenever he sees his own reflection. However, that day, it felt more special. Another person just confessed their "undying love" for him. His name was Donghae. Or was it Donghaek? He didn't care, but he did what was the most rightful thing to do- turn down the man.

His rejection was far from ordinary. He'll entertain them. Spend much time as he pleased, but once he got tired, he'll leave.

That would prompt the other person to chase him, pursue him once again. However, he was already done with them. Also, he needed to quench his thirst of seeing other people suffer.

When one persists, which was always the case, he'll flay them. He would criticize them to the point that they'll feel ashamed of their own skin. And that was what he just did with that Donghae guy.

"Ahh," he sighed. "that felt nice."

"I apologize for my rude behavior, but I just cannot stop myself from noticing you."A voice from behind him uttered.

Heechul internally scoffed. He heard that line several times that it almost sounded so bland to him. Nevertheless, he still sported a pretentious smile before facing the stranger- his next victim.

"I have no idea what you are trying to imply," said Heechul before seeing the other person. "Can I help you... go find your way far from here?" His tone changed when he finally saw the man.

"Why would I want to be somewhere else if you are right here in front of me?"A skinny and scarred-face man said. His blonde hair was obscuring his eyes, but the unsightliness was apparent, and it terrified Heechul.

"That is exactly the reason why you should go away. You are in front of me. Your unattractiveness will infect me."

The man sneered. "I thought you entertain everyone confessing to you before ridiculing them. I guess you do have a standard too."

Heechul felt exposed. "Who are you?" he inquired.

"Where's my manners?" the man feigned guilt. "Let me properly introduce myself." His head illuminated as he mocked a bow. The light travelled southward, revealing his true appearance. His messy blonde transformed into a sleek black hair. His scars disappeared little by little, and his ordinary clothes changed into a luxurious robe. "My name is Hyukjae. Eros' right hand." He looked up and smirked.

"Tch! All of that fancy transformation, but all that really changed was your hair. Is that all?"

Repulsed by Heechul's attitude, Hyukjae's eyes turned fiery red as well as his hair. "You are so full of yourself." Heechul remained unfazed. But when the wind started blowing hard and the sky accumulated above him, he became unsettled. "You love no one but yourself. I am certain that you do not know what love really means at all."

"You did said that I love myself." Heechul managed to aggravate the demigod more despite the situation.

"Enough!" Hyukjae said to shut Heechul's mouth. "Your haughtiness has to stop. I shall cast a curse on you."

"No Hyukie stop!" a voice halted. The forming clouds poured down in one direction and formed a man.

"Donghae?" Heechul said in disbelief.

"Do not continue what you have in mind." Donghae said to Hyukjae.

"You want to spare the life of this man after all that he had done to you?" Hyukjae asked. He was disappointed by Donghae. The man came to him, crying about his broken heart. Moved to pity and out of responsibility, Hyukjae came down to earth to help his life-long friend. Now that he was about to execute judgment, Donghae would come, stopping him from carrying out righteousness. "You are still holding some feelings for him, are you not?" Donghae nodded as a response.

Heechul watched with caution as Donghae walked towards Hyukjae and whispered something in his ears. Hyukjae looked at Donghae with doubt. Still, he agreed with a sigh.

"With Donghae's request, I'll give you a choice. Either to have your beauty taken away from you until you find true love or loss every material wealth you have until you help Princess Minsung find her true love with a given magical ability. Choose wisely."

"He is really foolish for sure." Heechul thought of Donghae. Without thinking twice, Heechul picked the second choice.

"Be reminded. Your power has limits to prevent you from abusing it. You cannot kill nor heal, and it will only work if you said it in a rhyming verse. You cannot also force a heart to fall for anyone. Go now and be on your way to help the princess."

Heechul immediately left without words. He concealed himself before the two change their minds. He kept on belittling the two demigods. Little did he know that he was the one to be mocked.

 

Heechul kept on walking until he arrived on his house, a property given to him by one of his past suitors. When he arrived, people were walking out from it, carrying all of his possessions.

"What is happening here?" he demanded.

A lowly servant answered him without looking on his face as their master's order. "We are just retrieving what was rightly our master's property. Whatever that is going to be left would be your belongings."

The first thing that came to Heechul's mind was to retaliate, but he was outnumbered, so he tried to seduce them one by one. However, no one paid a single attention to him. Each and every one of them were already warned of his cunningness.

When nothing worked, Heechul gave up and just watched his belongings pass him. He just stood there, relaxed. He still have the upper hand anyway. He could just utter some rhyming words and he could be wealthier than before.

Realizing that he cannot even enter his house anymore, he left and looked for a secluded place by the foot of the mountain. He stayed there and uttered these words:

"The things that they took from me,

Increase its fold by three."

The place brightened, so he closed his eyes. When he opened it, a bird flew by, passing him. So he followed it. He walked and walked until he reached a mansion. Thinking that his spell worked, he entered it. The place looked abandoned, yet well preserved.

When he was sure that he was alone, he started touring inside. He enjoyed his new place and admired its elegance. He walked every hall and opened every door. When he reached the master's bed, he skipped and threw himself on the bed.

"I don't need to help that princess at all." He thought. He sat up and reasoned to himself. "Besides, she already have the love of her life beside her. Everyone know Princess Minsung and Prince Siwon love each other. She doesn't need any help at all."

Heechul felt full of himself. The place was magnificent, but according to him, it was nothing compared to his looks. It was only appropriate to celebrate by looking at himself . He pranced to a table to grab a polished metal. He held the metal and peered in, to look at his reflection. Not even a second later, a sound of metal clutter could be heard inside the mansion.

Heechul touched his face with a shaking hand. He want to believe that the metal was defected and showed him an altered look, but he could feel it. He picked the metal again and look at it. It was there. It was really there. The scar was not an illusion.

He left the mansion and returned to the forest. It was a long shot desire to see the demigods in there, but he took his chances. When he arrived, he saw Donghae playing in the lake while Hyukjae was sitting on the pavilion, joyfully watching the other man.

"You!" Heechul accused. "What you have done to me?" The two looked at him. Hyukjae sniggered while Donghae just shrugged.

"I told you I put limitations to your power in order for you not to abuse it. You are not so witty at all." Hyukjae replied. "Also, it turns out that Donghae's feelings for you is far from love. You should thank him for your punishment."

Heechul looked at Donghae, who was innocently playing in the water. He cannot imagine him holding a grudge towards someone else, but when Donghae glanced at him, his eyes showed great contempt.

Heechul realized the severity of the situation. And demanded a reversal.

"I cannot do that. As an ambassador of love, you need to learn what true love is before I remove your curse. However, you chose to help the princess rather than to find your own."

"But Princess Minsung does not need my help. She does not need anyone's help. Her love is right in front of her."

Hyukjae slowly shook his head. "You have to look deeper. Love is not something that we just see. We feel it deep inside our hearts. Do you really think that Prince Siwon is Princess Minsung's true love? Then you should get use to living with a scar on your pretty face."

 

After his second encounter with Hyukjae, Heechul dejectedly descended the mountain. He had no idea how he will help the princess, so he decided to investigate from afar.

However, when he was nearing a populated place, he saw a person looking at him with disgust. He glared at the man, who just scoffed in return.

"Did you not hear the law about leprosy? You should not freely associate yourself with us. These unclean people..." After hearing the man, Heechul was reminded of his looks. Not used with ridicule, Heechul concealed his face and ran away.

He returned to the mansion and locked himself in a room. There is no way in earth he would show himself outside anymore. He would rather starve to death than be classified as a person with a repulsive face.

He stayed inside for several days, isolating himself from the crowd. But when he ran out of food to eat, he had to go out and buy more food. He turned every wardrobe available in that place in search for a proper garment that would hide his scars. When he was satisfied with his look, he set out to go to the market.

He was quite glad that he was able to blend himself well, but he still took proper measure to maintain a low profile. It was already dark when was about to return home. He walked to the direction of the mansion when he noticed a person hiding herself from under a cloak. Curious, he followed her.

The figure started trekking the top of the mountain towards the pavilion. That was a special place for him, so he felt provoked that someone else found it. He increased his speed to catch the trespasser, but when the person finally removed her covering, he was stunned.

Minsung was there. The princess who supposed to be needing his help was enjoying the place. He decided whether to approach the royalty or to let her be. In the end, he chose to observe from afar.

After a while, Princess Minsung wore the cloak once again and was set to leave. Before leaving though, she carefully left a scroll. When she was gone, Heechul took the scroll and read the contents.

Heechul somehow understand the princess' predicaments, but was still confused why she would feel constricted in a place full of luxury, fame and love. Remembering Hyukjae's words, Heechul realized that the princess was also looking for a person who will understand her.

That sounded ridiculous for him. Why would one want to depend to another person for happiness? Nevertheless, Heechul ignored the princess' silly thinking and thought on how to help her find her true love.

He left the scroll exactly where he found it and left the pavilion. He was not even walking a distance from the place when he heard footsteps getting closer. He hid himself once again and watched out for the intruder.

In his spot, he saw a taller male walking and observing the plants. The man took several flowers and roots and placed it in his pouch. The man, Kyuhyun, saw the pavilion and entered it. He saw the scroll and read it. Heechul was not able to see Kyuhyun's reaction while reading the letter, but he saw him leave a tulip flower in place of the letter that he took. Heechul was clueless on why the man would do it, but it was none of his problems.

Based on Minsung's letter, she would return to the place every night. Heechul decided to observe her from then on. If the gardener likes the princess, it would not matter to him, unless he was the princess' true love.

The next night, the princess returned around the same time, carrying another letter with her. She was troubled when she saw her letter gone. But upon seeing the flower, her worries slowly faded. She picked the flower and inhaled its scent. Afterwards, she placed it near her heart and smiled warmly.

Heechul was thrilled! "Don't tell me my work would be this easy." He murmured.

Minsung became alarmed when she heard a sound. She immediately ran away, afraid that the palace would know her whereabouts. Not long after, the man from before arrived. Kyuhyun was glad to see another scroll lying in the pavilion. He also noticed that the flower was gone. With a smile, he took the princess' scroll and left his own.

This practice went on for a while, and Heechul found it amusing. He did not intervene, finding their exchange somewhat romantic. Also, he was afraid that he will scare either one of them. Using his power was also out of the question since he did not want to get more scar.

However, he did not like it when Minsung brought her trusted servant with her one time. Sooyoung expressed her worry about the princess' activity, but Minsung was too smitten to listen. Still, Heechul did not intervene.

The next night, he saw the servant arrived instead of Minsung. He was alarmed, especially after seeing Kyuhyun arrived earlier than usual. The lies started from that moment, but Heechul was oblivious about Sooyoung's original motive.

Every night that the two would meet, Heechul's anger multiply. It went out of hand when he saw the princess crying during the harsh storm. That was the last straw. The very next night, Heechul cursed the two without thinking about the consequences of his action.

After seeing the princess' reaction though, Heechul perceived that his actions were uglier than his scars. He should have not let his emotion got the better of him, but it was too late. Kyuhyun turned into a stone and Minsung was close to dying. He travelled themselves through time to revoke Kyuhyun's curse, save the princess and get his beauty back.

 

"You were that legend you were talking about?" Hangeng whispered. The story sounded very unreal to him that he had a hard time believing it. He looked at Heechul with worried eyes. "You don't have to go back, right?" Heechul eyes got teary as he shook his head. Hangeng stood up and raised his voice. "I don't care about your past!" He desperately kneeled in front of Heechul and begged. "Just please... please stay."

"I can't," Heechul chocked. "I don't belong here."

Hangeng was losing his mind as well. He was infuriated by something he can't explain. "You were hiding this from me the whole time. If I didn't found out, you were not even going to tell me. Are you just really going to leave me like that?"

Heechul scoffed as he harshly dried his tears. "What do you expect? Old habits die hard. You are nothing but another person for me to toy. I can't believe that I could still play around with this look. I should have chosen the first curse."

Hangeng became incensed. He clutched Heechul's arms and squeezed hard. "You're lying. Tell me that you are lying!"

Heechul flinched, but kept a straight face. "What is there to lie about? I don't know anything about love anyway."

"Say it. Say that you don't love me. Say it!"

Heechul looked down and spoke in a soft voice. "I don't love you."

Hangeng was hurt and disappointed. Too hurt that he was not able to stop his tears from flowing. Still, he didn't give up easily. "Look at me. Look in my eyes and tell me that you did not feel even just a little affection for me."

Heechul looked at him. "I never loved anyone in my life," he sneered and added. "not even you."

Hangeng's hands dropped. He stood up and turned around, ready to leave Heechul to himself. "Just so you know, my love for you is real. I accepted you the way you are, but I hate that in the end, you are still lying to me." Hangeng then walked away.

When Hangeng left, Heechul clutched his shirt and cried. He doesn't deserve Hangeng. It is better if he would just leave and return in the past. He saw Minsung's suffering because of love, but he didn't understand how miserable it felt until he experienced it himself. He felt sorry for all those people whom he played with before. He felt sorry for hurting each and every one of them. But most of all, he felt sorry that he had to hurt Hangeng.

 

Sooyoung ran outside. She needed to see Prince Siwon and Princess Minsung. They need to return to where they truly belong. The rain did not bother her. What worried her was she did not know where to look. She was running without a direction in mind. She just let her feet guide her. When she saw a slow figure approaching, she stopped.

"Prince Siwon," she called. Siwon looked at her and realized that she remembered everything. "we need to return."

"Yes we do." He replied.

"Where's Sungmin? Princess Minsung?"

"He's not coming with us."

"But-"

"He'll be happier here." Siwon said. Sooyoung hesitated, but after remembering what she had done in the past, she agreed with the prince.

They walked back in the library in a slow pace. None of them really want to leave Sungmin behind, but that was the most right thing to do. On the way, Heechul met them.

"Are you ready?" Heechul asked, and he was answered by their nods. He took a deep breath and started chanting.

"Open the gates that leads back to our day.

Back to the time when I carried Minsung away.

Make all the people, who belong to this time, forget our existence.

Erase our traces in their memory, but keep the earth's balance.

For Sungmin, who belong in the past, set him free.

He does not need to remember us in his memory.

Give him a new start where he could be happy.

Make him spend his life the way it really should be."

After the spell, a portal opened. Sooyoung was the one who entered first. Siwon looked back one last time before entering. When it was Heechul's turn, he heard someone calling his name.

"Heechul!" Sungmin shouted in a distance. "Don't leave me alone! Let me come."

Heechul shook his head. "I cannot let you suffer anymore. Be happy Sungmin." He entered and closed the gate.

Sungmin saw Heechul entered. Was Kyuhyun with them? He did not know. Kyuhyun was out of sight when he went outside. He probably came with them, especially now that he told him how much he hated the man.

With its light still shining, Sungmin tried to reach the time opening. The rain clouded his view as well as the tears that was falling from his eyes. Still, he ran forward. He increased his speed as the light decreased its size. As he approached the beam, it divided and changed color.

He halted as the light advanced to him. The loud sound of a car horn informed him that the missed Heechul already. He wanted to move away, but everything moved fast. Bright lights blinded Sungmin, and the tire screech hurt his ear, but not being able to see the person who was dreadfully calling his name hurt him more.

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: I'm here again... (=゚ω゚;)ノ

This is how much I love this story and you guys as well. (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

All of the secrets are now revealed.

Is there any question I have not answered/missed? ( •᷄ὤ•᷅)?

I don't know myself. (つω⊂* )

Oh yeah... This is it... The end...

 

 

o(TヘTo)