Fourteen

A Royal Curse

After visiting Sungmin, Siwon tiredly went back to his own place. He slowly entered his apartment and dropped his things wherever he felt like it. He rubbed his face forcefully and harshly loosened up his tie. He never thought that loving someone would be this tough and painful.

He collapsed on his sofa and looked at the ceiling. Slowly, a helpless smile appeared on his face as he realized the cause of his sufferings- Sungmin. Sungmin is worth of all the sacrifices he made ever since he first laid his eyes on Princess Minsung.

 

When he reached the ripe age of sixteen, Prince Siwon became eligible to attend balls from neighboring territories. His first invitation came from Prince Chunhwa of the Northern Mountains. He was thrilled and prepared well for that very special day. At the event, he could see different loyalties having the time of their lives with the feast prepared by the host prince. Siwon attracted countless number of duchess, but when his eyes behold the beauty of Princess Minsung, nothing and no one ever mattered that day.

That banquet was almost nearing its wrap, yet he still was not able to introduce himself to the nameless princess. He tried to divert his attention, so he could at least enjoy the day, even if he would not be able to meet the princess who took his innocent heart. He went to the bouquet table to get some refreshments, when he saw a man concealing his troubled breathing. He swiftly strode across the room and approach the person.

"My lord, I think it is better to head out for a bit. The air inside is becoming a little bit heavy."

"You're such a young, alert, and discreet prince. Why don't we talk outside for a while?"

Siwon learned that the person he helped was no other than Prince Chunhwa himself. He was delighted to meet the man who gave him the opportunity to see the lovely princess whom he swore to marry when he get older. They were talking about things that interested them, and it was apparent that Chunhwa liked Prince Siwon.

"Did you by chance already met my daughter, Princess Minsung?"

"I've met many lovely young duchesses who attended your grand ball my lord, but I'm afraid I haven't met Princess Minsung yet."

"Oh, you are missing out my child." Prince Chunwha replied. "Come, I'll personally introduce you to my daughter."

Siwon wanted to respectfully decline the kind offer since no one can draw away his interest from the stunning princess he just saw, yet he find himself politely following the host of the night. He almost stopped his track when Prince Chunwha directed him to his person of interest. When they arrived near the princess' spot, Minsung courteously bowed to her father and the young prince in front of her.

"Are you having a good time my lovely princess?" Prince Chunwha asked.

"Yes father. I do enjoy these gatherings as always."

"Excellent! Now let me introduce you this young lad who kindly helped me a while ago. Minsung, meet Siwon, the Prince of Light. He resides to the east."

After the introduction, Minsung did another bow to acknowledge the presence of the prince. Siwon, on the other hand, felt like his life just became complete.

Prince Chunwha left them alone, so Siwon took that opportunity to dance with the princess. He wanted to know more about her, but she cunningly avoided having proper conversation. When the music ended, Minsung excused herself from the prince. When she turned around, she did not looked back and headed to receive other guests. This was a normal routine for the princess. Though she met various fine princes from different lands, no one has ever captured her mind and heart, and it goes the same with Siwon.

For Siwon however, Princess Minsung was the only person that he's going to fall in love for the rest of his life. Ever since that day, Siwon strived to be the man, that would be especially suitable to marry Princess Minsung.

Years passed by, and he heard the distressing news about Prince Chunwha's illness. The village invited him to come back, so he can marry the princess.

This was the day he was waiting for, but he did not pursue the wedding. Minsung was not in the proper condition to marry anyone. First, her father was lying weakly on his bed. Second, she doesn't even know him that much. However, that did not dampen Siwon's determination to court the princess. He tried all the ways he knew to win the princess' attention, but all of it seemed futile. She kept on ignoring and avoiding him at all cost.

After what seemed like an eternity for him, Minsung started returning his feelings, or so he thought. She finally would not retract when he would hold her. She would also eat together with him and became more open emotionally. Although Siwon wanted to spend more time with the princess, she would always excuse herself early at night. Siwon permitted her since it is his utmost priority to keep her safe and well.

One harsh winter, Minsung's health slowly deteriorated. Siwon was informed about it, so he tried to ensure the princess' wellbeing himself. He visited Minsung's room only to find it empty. They quietly searched for Minsung throughout the place, yet they cannot find a single trace of her. They searched outside the palace wall as well, yet it is still fruitless. They conducted investigation and seized Sooyoung, Minsung's personal attendant.

Sooyoung was taken into custody for neglecting the Princess. They also confined her, for they believed that her mental incapability would only be unhelpful and may taint other people too. They were not sure what made a once capable servant become insane.

While the highest officials were busy directing the whole palace to look for the missing princess, Siwon did his own investigation. Contrast to the palace's decision to disregard Sooyoung, Siwon personally went to the dungeon to see her.

 He closed the entrance of her cell, but did not lock it. Siwon did not find any reason to do so since Sooyoung was not even moving from her spot. She also did not have any additional confinement such as shackles. He cautiously approached the crazed lady and inquired about the whereabouts of the princess. Instead of answering, Sooyoung just kept uttering nonsense.

"The princess, she's very kind. She doesn't deserve any of this. You don't understand. She has a pure heart. Don't make her life more miserable."

Siwon did not understand the meaning behind her words, but he was truly determined to have his princess back, so he shook the servant to get her full attention.

"I am looking for her, not to bring her down, but to protect and cherish her. I love her, and I will do everything to make her happy."

Sooyoung laughed mockingly at the prince. She was not even fearing for her life.

"You are a foolish person, wasting your precious time on something that will not benefit you. You cannot make her happy. You are not the person she loves."

With those words, reality hit Siwon, but it did not made him falter a bit.

"Show me where she is. I beg you. Her health is not getting any well, I've heard."

Sooyoung seemed to get some of her senses back. She looked longingly at the entrance of her cell and walked towards it. Siwon noticed her actions and followed her immediately. He let her free while he trailed closely. He was making sure that nobody would be able to see both of them as they leave the palace grounds. After a long journey in the cold woods, they reached the top of the mountain. The once beautiful place, looked dreadful and lifeless. Even the pavilion does not look inviting anymore.

Sooyoung immediately hid behind a withered bush as they reached the place. Siwon let her be, and continued walking. He spotted a statue covered with feminine and expensive coats. He identified most of them belonged to the princess. At the feet of the statue, he saw the frail body of the princess lying on the cold ground, wearing nothing, but a simple clothing not enough to protect her from the harsh weather. He noticed a man beside her, crouching. The man carried the princess and walked towards a circular portal that suddenly appeared.

"Halt! Return the princess this instant!" Siwon said to stop the man.

The one carrying the princess turned his face, but continued his steps anyway. At least, Siwon was able to take a glance at the person's appearance before he entered the portal. Before the portal closed, he was able to follow Heechul. He ran after the man without any second thought. He cannot let anyone steal his love away from him. When he entered, the darkness quickly consumed everything, then he lost all of his senses.

 

Siwon found himself young again. He was born in a well and rich family, but a tragedy hit his parents. He lived most of his young age in an orphanage after that.

As a child, he grew up remembering things that happened in the past. At first it confused him, but as he mature, he understood the meaning behind those memories. He knew that he was once a prince who fell in love with a princess, and that she is the reason why he ended up travelling time.

Even if he was very intelligent compared to other children in that orphanage, it took a while before he got adopted. To return the kindness of his foster family, he tried his best to succeed in life while searching for Minsung and the scarred man who took her away.

He was not sure how to find the princess until the day, that a grand public library was made in their area. It garnered attention of the people, so on the opening day, they interviewed the owner and his son. Siwon cannot believe his eyes. The son, Sungmin, looked exactly like Princess Minsung. To confirm his guess, he did research and personal investigation. The results showed him numerous similarities between the two. Hesitantly, he concluded that they were the same person.

He was appalled. The person he fell in love with, changed to a different person he did not imagine. He was not sure whether to pursue her or him anymore. He tried forgetting about Princess Minsung, but his heart refused to. In the end, he gave up fighting the feeling and continued his search for his love.

After graduating from a well-known university, he easily landed a job in an established firm. With his reliable and beautiful architectural design, he was able to make a name for himself in the architectural industry. His fame was the reason why the company let him handle the bidding with the richest potential client they ever had- Sungmin's father.

He worked hard and showed off his talent to win the bidding for the Jeju Island project. His effort did not go to waste since he was able to win Sungmin's father's heart too. Mr. Lee promised Siwon that he would introduce the him to his son, Sungmin.

Their first meeting in the present time felt surreal for him, yet it did not end the way he expected it. Not only Sungmin forgot the past, his father was involved in a serious accident that made him slip into coma. Siwon did not know how to comfort the grieving person with him. It broke his heart that he cannot console the person he love the most and just watch him cry from the side.

 

At least, he was able to establish connection with Sungmin once again, and he has a solid reason to see the other person anytime. During one of his visit with Sungmin though, he saw the man who stole the princess away. He confronted him, but he felt that he was not the one that Sungmin loves. The scarred person, who brought all of them into the future, gave him a chance to win Sungmin's heart fair and square, and he would take advantage of it.

Gathering enough courage and motivation, he stood up from sitting down and headed to his computer. He checked everything that would be needed to be done for the Jeju project and saw something interesting. They have to survey the land before and during the construction. Maybe he could use the time that they would be alone to court Sungmin once again. Before he retire to sleep, he checked his e-mails. He saw an important message and read it.

'After a successful examination, your sister's condition is now stable. We are just finalizing her papers, so she can return home.'

Maybe, the odds are now on his side.

 

 

 

 

a/n: I wonder if there would be a chapter where I won't put an author's note. XD

I'm so sorry that you are reading from an author who doesn't have self control. I've been saturating you with updates. :| But If I don't update fast, My thoughts would fly out, and I have to gather it all over again.

This is mostly Siwon's part. Hopefully I explained the time-wrap thing more clearly. :/

Maybe I should just edit the previous chapters, so they are more easier to read. XD