Six

A Royal Curse

Sungmin woke up again on Hangeng's bed, but this time, he was alone in the room. He remembered what happened last night and tried to analyze everything closely. Heechul and Hangeng was determined to push him away from the library because they were afraid that he'll meet Kyuhyun. He cannot understand their reason anyway. Were they worried because of what happened to his father? But then why is Kyuhyun alive? He said he looked like the princess, but his kiss worked. He doesn't even love Kyuhyun. He just admire his loyalty and courage to stay faithful to his lover. Out of frustration and confusion, Sungmin wildly scratched his head, giving his bed hair a more grotesque look.

Sungmin lazily got up and dragged his body wherever his feet led him. He was intending to look for Hangeng in the employee's lounge, but he was surprised to see a life-sized statue in front of him. His feet automatically walked him in the lobby. Shrugging, he settled on examining the statue. It looks like something changed. There was an odd bulge on Kyuhyun's torso. He tried to rub off his sleep from his eyes, but it still looked unusual. He got out of his trance when Hangeng called him.

"I knew you were here, when I did not see you in my room. The food is ready, let's eat."

Sungmin followed Hangeng and noticed the absence of another person.

"Where's Heechul?"

Hangeng stopped walking as well as Sungmin. He heaved a deep sigh before replying. He turned around and saw Sungmin innocently waiting for the reply.

"He left early, right after Kyuhyun turned back this morning. He said that he'll probably would not come back anytime sooner. He didn't tell me the reason though. He just left."

Sungmin felt guilty. It must have been something that he said, but he was not sure exactly what. He tried to recall, but nothing came out.

They were eating Hangeng's special Beijing fried rice, which was Sungmin's favorite, in silence. They were midway done, and still no one dared to speak. Sungmin cannot tolerate it anymore, so started talking.

"I'm sorry I took your bed again."

"It's okay. I won't sleep until later anyway. You're not really disturbing me."

"By the way, how did I ended up in your bed? The last thing I remember was teaching Kyuhyun how the phone works."

"We returned in the lobby before sun rise. We found you curled up on the floor peacefully sleeping, while Kyuhyun was fiddling with your phone. He was worried that he broke it, but I assured him that the phone just died because of the drained battery. I even explained him how battery works."

Hangeng handed Sungmin his phone. Sungmin remembered the childish reaction Kyuhun had while playing with it. Kyuhyun looked adorable. No wonder two females from the past were claiming him. He's sure there's a lot of people not written in the history admired him. Sungmin was smiling tenderly at the memory, but shook his head when he realized what he was doing.

"I was not able to charge it, so I'm not sure how much damage he caused. Just check it later."

"Thanks. Anyway, how did he ended up back there?"

"We actually thought he was going to protest, but he voluntarily stood there, saying he trusted you. He doesn't look happy though. I think he doesn't want to be a spectacle."

"I do understand him. How about the process? Have you seen it?"

"I carried you to my room before he turned to back into a stone. I'm still appalled that he's the real Kyuhyun, so I didn't want to see the whole process."

Sungmin nodded. He agreed. He felt like he won't be able to watch too if he was there to witness it. After eating, Sungmin stood up and was preparing to go.

"I remember I have something important to do. I'll come back later. Thanks for the meal!"

"Okay, see you later. Take care!" Hangeng screamed at Sungmin as he ran. "This brat. He left me to do all the washing and cleaning."

Sungmin called his chauffeur using the library phone. When his ride came, he instructed the driver to head at the hospital. When they arrived, he met Siwon at the entrance.

"Siwon? What are you doing here?" Sungmin asked.

"I was worried about your father's condition, as well as yours. I don't have any of your personal contacts, so I decided to visit your father here, hoping to run into you. I was right."

"You don't have to worry about me, but my father is still not showing any sign of improvements."

"It's hard not to worry about you." Siwon sincerely replied. "Would it be too much to ask for your number?" He added.

"No. Not at all."

"Can I see your phone?"

"It's drained right now. I'll just put my information in yours."

Siwon walked Sungmin until they arrived in Mr. Lee's room. He stayed for a short while, but then he needed to leave because of some scheduled appointments.

When Sungmin was alone with his father, he charged his phone and determined how much damage Kyuhyun induced. He his phoned and was surprised to see his new wallpaper. It seems like Kyuhyun figured out how to use the camera function. However, based on the photo, it seems like Kyuhyun was surprised too. His eyes are bulging and his mouth was shaped 'o'. Sungmin giggled and imagined Kyuhyun taking his very first selca. Sungmin tried to look for more photos, but it looks like Kyuhyun accidentally deleted everything. Even his father's photos were gone, only Kyuhyun's aegyo face remained.

Sungmin looked at his father. His dad sure heard him laughed so hard. The doctors said that he could still sense something that's happening around him even if he is unconscious. Sungmin then decided to tell the story about his "new friend."

Sungmin did not stay longer like before. He decided to translate earlier, so he can spend the rest of the night with Kyuhyun. He left the hospital and went back home. After eating lunch and taking a nice shower, he prepared everything that he'll need in the library. He made sure he had his drawing materials as well as some of his gadgets and devices. He also packed some extra clothes and essentials like toothbrush and soap.

He arrived in the library at the middle of the day, and those staff who saw him arrived, thought that he was going to move in to Hangeng's room. Since he was basically their boss, they did not dare ask him what his luggage was for.

Sungmin started translating a scroll and dutifully recorded every detail. After translating a portion of it, he tried to isolate and summarize Minsung's story.

 

It was the middle of the month of Tebeth (mid-December to mid-January) when Prince Chunhwa's wife, Sunhee, gave birth to a healthy and beautiful princess.

They named her Princess Minsung.

The cold weather affected Princess Sunhee's health, and she perish not long after giving birth.

The prince decided not to marry once again even if he did not have any male heir in his midst.

He was not after power and fame, but he spent his time strengthening and building his territory for his only heir.

The princess had a strict upbringing because everyone expected her to act elegantly and decently to attract suitors with exceptional background.

 

"She was born in the coldest month, as well the month when vegetation starts to develop. She lost her mother, but she gave hope to those in their territory. Though the writer put a little emphasis on her upbringing, it was evident that she was robbed off of her childhood memories." Sungmin added in his notes. "Maybe that's why she acted as a wench when she grew up."

Sungmin took a small break and continued translating. He was trying his best to type the ancestral root of the family since it was written on the scrolls. Some names of special servants were also mentioned, and Sungmin saw Sooyoung's name. He felt inspired. He cannot wait to learn more about Sooyoung.

Sungmin's alarm went off and he stopped whatever he was doing.

"It's Kyuhyun time!" He exclaimed.

He left the storage room and headed to Hangeng's room to grab his backpack with all his necessary things. It was already dark in the library, so he used the flashlight to illuminate his way. He felt giddy thinking about Kyuhyun's response to his surprise.

Kyuhyun was already sitting on his pedestal waiting for anyone. He thought of going inside and look for Sungmin, but he was afraid to get lost again. He was looking ahead and froze when he saw a source of light. He remembered Sungmin's device, but he's still afraid of some things he cannot explain.

Sungmin cheerfully walked to the lobby, but stopped when he saw Kyuhyun cowering on the pedestal.

"What is wrong Kyuhyun?" He softly asked, so as not to scare the man further.

"That th-thing on your hand."

"This?" He raised his flashlight. He turned it on and off several times, then a thought came to his mind. He smiled and explained it to Kyuhyun.

"We're inside a library with full of flammable materials. It would be dangerous to have candles in here. Besides, most people use a different source of light nowadays. Why don't you try this?" Sungmin then stretched his arms to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun stood up and stepped out of the ropes. He took the flashlight and examined it.

"Here's the switch." Sungmin said as he pointed out the switch.

He did not tell how to open it. He let Kyuhyun figure it out on his own. Kyuhyun was able to turn it on and played it for a while. He flinched when he accidentally pointed the light on his face. Sungmin laughed at the reaction, finding it cute and adorable. Out of frustration, Kyuhyun pointed the light on Sungmin's face and Sungmin squirmed. Kyuhyun laughed at his own action, while Sungmin just smiled affectionately.

"It's too dark to draw here. Let's go to the lounge."

Sungmin snatched the flashlight before Kyuhyun blind him again with it. While they were walking to the lounge, they saw Hangeng. He was doing rounds of patrol, so they did not bothered him anymore. When they arrived, it took them more than an hour start to since Sungmin had to explain how refrigerator, stove, microwave and coffee maker works. Yes, Kyuhyun closed the refrigerator door slowly several times to see when the light would go off. He also played with the ice cube maker and made a mess.

When they were settled, Kyuhyun started describing Sooyoung to Sungmin. He kept bothering Sungmin while he was trying to draw, so the smaller male taught him how to play with an iPad. Kyuhyun was playing Candy Crush as he kept telling how Sooyoung looked like. He was playing Flappy Bird first, but Sungmin had to save his device multiple time when Kyuhyun attempted to destroy it whenever the terrible bird hit the annoying green pipe.

Kyuhyun already beat Sungmin's high score, when Sungmin was done with his sketch. He presented his work to Kyuhyun, who excitedly grabbed the pad.

"So how was it? Does it look like her?"

Kyuhyun took his time examining the drawing before giving a simple yes as an answer. He don't know why he didn't feel anything. He has not seen her in a long time, but he didn't feel thrilled to see her face. Instead of feeling happiness, he felt upset. He love this person on the paper. He should feel something after seeing her face, right? There was nothing wrong with the drawing, but he chose to blame Sungmin for it.

"She looked like this, but something is missing."

"Really? What is it?"

"I don't know."

He tried to divert his attention to different things, so he started flipping the page of the drawing pad. He noticed that Sungmin liked sketching place and scenic view. He kept lazily flipping when a certain drawing caught his attention.

"Tulip?"

"Oh, that? I love tulip so I tried to sketch it. I normally paint them, so there's only one in there."

"This is Sooyoung's favorite flower."

"Really? Now that you mention it, that's the flower that you left at the garden way back then. Maybe I started liking it because I like your story." Sungmin said with a endearing smile on his face.

"Don't say it with that face of yours. It bothers me."

Sungmin just scowled and pouted, which annoyed Kyuhyun more. Kyuhyun took the flashlight and pointed it on Sungmin's face.

"Yah! Stop it. I should have never taught you how it works."

They started running around and chased each other while Hangeng was sulking at one corner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: The historical piece I'm trying to state here has more of a Greek history pattern. Let just say Greece and Korea are connected.

I had to type this the second time because I carelessly deleted the first one. In short, this is more rushed than the past chapters.