Nineteen

A Royal Curse

When Kyuhyun was able to move again, he immediately looked outside. He was disappointed to see the sight of a black dusky sky. It was midnight again. Kyuhyun was sad and upset. He did not want to go anywhere nor do anything. He was a gardener and it was in his nature to go out and bask in the warm ray of sun, work the whole day and enjoy the company of other workers. Here in the future, he was becoming idle and nocturnal, a complete opposite of his previous life.

He sat on his pedestal and crossed his arms like he was having a tantrum. Sungmin was not even there to see him. Why does he have to do all the anticipation of seeing the other man? Maybe Sungmin don't see him as important as he was saying he was. With his little exposure with people, he was treating Sungmin as his close friend. He thought Sungmin was treating him like one too. He could also consider Hangeng as friend since the man was nice to him. He even helped him learn some things, but Kyuhyun only spends most of his hours with Sungmin. Heechul, on the other hand, can be best ignored as much as possible. That person is suspicious anyway. Weird things always happens when he is around.

He continued sulking while still expecting Sungmin to come. His frown got deeper and deeper each second passed, but still no Sungmin in sight. He uncrossed his arms and pound his fist on the platform.

"This is absurd!" He shouted. Does he really have to search for Sungmin every time he turns back into a human?

After his shout, an absolute silence followed. It looked like no one really cared about him. If it was in the movies, the director would have added cricket chirping sound effects. Unknown to him, someone was watching his entire display of frustration.

Heechul cleared his throat when he assumed that Kyuhyun would not lash his anger on him. He was quite upset himself. Sungmin bought a special bicycle for Kyuhyun. He wanted to ride it, but Sungmin wanted Kyuhyun to try it first. Hangeng has his own bicycle, but he won't let Heechul borrow it, saying that it is his precious baby. Whatever happened to sharing and generosity? Not only that, they even ordered him to call Kyuhyun inside the library since Sungmin was guarding and clutching on the bike as if his life depended on it, and Hangeng had the guts to bike around the open area at the back of the library. Seeing that he's the only available person, he was forced to go.

Kyuhyun was shocked, but still turned around to see who was with him. His surprised face was replaced by the scowl he was wearing earlier although he looked more annoyed. Heechul sporting the same look while holding a set of clothes. Kyuhyun won their little contest of staring and frowning as Heechul gave up and groaned. He still needed to make Kyuhyun fall for Sungmin, no matter how much he wants to ruin the surprise. He tossed the garments to Kyuhyun.

"Change into this then follow me. Sungmin is waiting for you outside." He muttered unwillingly.

After Kyuhyun changed, they reluctantly walked together to meet the two other males.

 

"You are spoiling him." Hangeng said to Sungmin when he stopped driving around.

"No I'm not." Sungmin quickly denied.

"If I don't know the reason behind why you are helping him, I would assume you're trying to win his heart." Sungmin looked scandalized with Hangeng's words. It was as if Hangeng found out his dirty little secret. With a glint on his eyes, Hangeng added, "We've been friends for a while, so I know a lot about you."

"N-no you don't" Sungmin said unsure.

"Nah." Hangeng replied with a dismissal wave of his hand. "You are so easy to read like an open book. I knew you love him even before meeting him in person. It only intensified when you saw him alive and moving. Seriously, you even kissed him while he was a statue."

Sungmin panicked and looked around. He hushed Hangeng even if they were alone.

Hangeng dismounted himself from his bike and walked near Sungmin to inspect the brand new bike. He tapped his friend's shoulder and bent down to look at the bike. He was about to touch it, but Sungmin smacked his hand. Hangeng just shook his head because of his friend's obvious affection for Kyuhyun. He straightened himself and looked seriously at Sungmin.

"I don't see anything wrong loving a person of same . If you love a man, go for it. Just don't hurt yourself. You know I care about you like a younger brother."

A different voice responded behind them. "Really? You think it's fine liking a man?" Heechul eagerly asked.

"Sure, why not?" Hangeng shrugged.

"I think it's disgusting." Kyuhyun commented. Both Hangeng and Heechul looked at Sungmin's reaction, and it was so evident that the man was hurt. Not wanting to make Sungmin sad, Heechul scoffed.

"As if there were no homouals in the past. In fact it was more commonly widespread and accepted, especially in your country. Don't you dare deny it!"

"Even if it was a common thing, it does not mean that I condone it. I love a girl, and that is the normal thing." Kyuhyun defended.

"What if the love of your life turned into a man?" Heechul challenged.

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin, who looked away from him. He remembered what he said to Sungmin the first day they met:

"If I locate Sooyoung, even if she's a man right now. I would find her, and I will prove my love for her."

Silence enveloped the four of them. Wanting to escape the awkwardness, Heechul strutted forward and immediately rode Hangeng's bike. When Hangeng realized what Heechul did, he ran after him.

"Yah! Get back here! Bring my baby back!"

"Catch me if you can." Heechul teased.

Desiring to flee away from the situation, and giving Sungmin some alone time with Kyuhyun, Hangeng chased after Heechul, leaving the two behind in discomfort. Sungmin was still not looking at Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun was annoyed of it.

"Heechul said you were looking for me. If you don't need me, I'll just go back inside the library."

"I just wanted to show this to you." Sungmin said while presenting the bicycle, still not looking towards Kyuhyun.

"What's that for? Do you call it baby?" Kyuhyun asked while recalling how Hangeng called his own one.

"Wha- No! It's called bicycle. You- Uhh... It's use to go around places with ease." Sungmin stammered. The way Kyuhyun said it made him blush. He tried to hide his face more, but it only offended Kyuhyun more.

"Why do you need to show it to me then?" Kyuhyun asked. His tone laced with irritation.

Sungmin flinched. He doesn't have the confidence to look at Kyuhyun now, knowing that the man despise homouals.

"I bought this for you." Sungmin meekly said. He wanted to run away and hide. Hangeng was right. It was obvious that he was trying too hard to win Kyuhyun's love. If Kyuhyun discerned it, he would hate him for sure. "If you don't want it, I'll return this immediately." He said to make the gift look insignificant.

Instead of answering, Kyuhyun approached Sungmin. Now that he paid attention, he saw the complicated structure of that little piece of machine. He looked at the bicycle with awe as he examined it. Sungmin did not smack his hands when he touched it unlike Hangeng.

Sungmin peeked at Kyuhyun and saw the delight in his eyes. He was glad and relieved that Kyuhyun was not mad anymore. Kyuhyun crouched down to look at it closely. When he was done admiring, he looked back up to Sungmin.

"Thank you, but I don't think I need this, for you always come with me while looking for Sooyoung." Kyuhyun said it with gratefulness, but he still think it's a waste of money.

Sungmin gathered all the courage left in him before explaining. "I would be gone for days, but I'm still not sure when. During my absence, this would allow you to travel around easier and faster. I just have to teach you while I'm here."

Kyuhyun immediately stood up and expressed disapproval. "You cannot leave me here alone. I... I need you." He admitted with difficulty.

"I don't want to go too, but I have to. I have more responsibilities outside the library walls."

The stood quietly for a while, not liking what lies ahead of them. Kyuhyun hung his head low and asked Sungmin questions to stop the silence.

"You're going to teach me how to use this while you're here, right?"

"Yes."

"You're coming back, right?"

"Hmm. I won't be gone for long."

Kyuhyun looked intently at Sungmin's eyes. "I can trust you, right?"

"Of course." After hearing the words he wanted to hear, Kyuhyun focused his attention on the bike.

"This looks a lot different than the one we usually use." He observed.

"Yes it is. This one is a lot more simpler. Why don't you try it for yourself?"

"Is this safe?" Kyuhyun asked as he reluctantly sat on it.

"No." Sungmin replied.

Kyuhyun snapped his head on Sungmin. His face showing fear. With Kyuhyun's adorable reaction, Sungmin started laughing. It was so intense that he started clutching his stomach. After a while he was wheezing already.

"Are you just fooling me? Is this really safe?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Yeah, it is." Sungmin replied between pants. "But the first part of learning is quite scary and dangerous."

Kyuhyun quickly got out of the bike. "I don't think I could trust you anymore."

"Oh come on." Sungmin urged. "Once you learned how to balance it, it'll be much easier."

"Then show me how it works."

"Okay! Watch and learn."

Sungmin easily mounted on the bike and released the kickstand. He smoothly drove the bike in circle, and halted in front of Kyuhyun.

"There, it's easy like that."

Kyuhyun noted the smile on Sungmin's face and thought that riding bike must be fun. When Sungmin got off, Kyuhyun sat on the bike. He held the handle excitedly and looked at Sungmin for next instruction.

"Place one of your feet on the pedal."

Kyuhyun did what he was told to do so. Sungmin held on the back side of the bike before telling Kyuhyun to put his other feet up.

"Turn the pedals while turning the handlebars constantly to gain balance." Sungmin added.

Kyuhyun clumsily obeyed, but he dropped his legs when he felt like he was about to fall.

"It looked easier when you were doing it." Kyuhyun said.

Sungmin chuckled, but he still encouraged Kyuhyun. "I've been riding bicycles since I was young, but you'll get the hang of it in no time. You're smart and learn fast. In fact, I could understand you a lot better now."

Kyuhyun's confidence boosted up, and he had a newfound determination to try again. He gripped the handle and placed his feet on the pedals. He took a big breath and paddled away. Well, he did not went that far. He placed back his feet firm on the ground even before Sungmin could take a step.

"Kyuhyun." Sungmin called in concern. "You don't have to be afraid. I'm holding you behind. I won't let you fall." Kyuhyun looked behind and saw Sungmin holding the rear rack for passenger. "See? I'll keep you safe." Their gazing was interrupted by a loud complain coming from Heechul.

"Faster!"

"You're heavy" Hangeng whined.

"You have muscles, are those even useful?" Heechul ridiculed.

"Stopped grabbing my abs. I can't concentrate. We'll fall if you keep doing it!" Hangeng warned.

"If I don't grab it, I'll fall." Heechul fussed.

"You can just put your arms like this." Hangeng used his left hand to place Heechul's arms around his stomach.

"It's looks like I'm hugging you." Heechul commented.

"It's better that way." Hangeng replied.

"You said it yourself." Heechul said. He contentedly placed his cheeks on Hangeng's back and Hangeng smoothly pedaled away from Kyuhyun and Sungmin again.

The two men was left in an awkward situation by the other two again, but this time they easily shunned it. Since Sungmin was still holding onto the backside, Kyuhyun just pedaled. He was slowly but carefully moving in a twisted way. This brought smile in both of their faces without them noticing it. When Kyuhyun got far enough, he asked Sungmin a question.

"Can you ride this with a passenger?"

Sungmin was surprised by the sudden question, that he accidentally released his hold on the bicycle. Kyuhyun was not aware of it, so he continued going forward. However, since he still didn't know how to balance, he fell not long after.

"Yah! You told me you were not going to let me go." Kyuhyun complained.

Sungmin rushed to Kyuhyun's side and helped the man out of the bike. Kyuhyun had small scratches and bruises, but it was not serious. Sungmin took out his handkerchief and wiped the bruises cautiously. Kyuhyun let him nurse him while looking attentively at Sungmin.

Sungmin looked up when he was done wiping the scratches clean. "Do you want to ride on the back of the bicycle?" He asked.

"No! I was just curious." Kyuhyun sputtered.

"Oh. Do you want me to ride on your back?"

"No. I think you are heavy." Kyuhyun said then hastily stood up. He grabbed the bike again and put it upright. "I think I'm getting how to balance this thing. Can we continue?"

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you around with it?" Sungmin pressed some more. He wanted to test how much Kyuhyun's patience is.

"No."

"Really? Because I'm strong enough."

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin and replied with a stern voice. "I don't want to get close like that with a man."

"I see. I'm sorry." Sungmin let the topic go as he hesitantly held on the rear rack. Kyuhyun rode the bike once more, but he did not move forward.

"I don't hate you. I'm just not comfortable being intimately close with a man." Kyuhyun explained before he kicked the pedal.

He moved straighter and more stable this time. Sungmin slowly let go, when he thought that Kyuhyun could ride on his own. He smiled painfully as Kyuhyun continued safely without his help. Maybe Kyuhyun doesn't need him at all.

Kyuhyun suddenly stopped and looked back. He saw that he was already distant from Sungmin.

"You said you won't let go." Kyuhyun said.

"Sometimes it's better to let go. If I did not let go, you would not learn by yourself. Congratulations. You just learned how to ride a bicycle."

Kyuhyun was uncertain, but he felt like Sungmin's words implied more meaning than it should.

 

 

 

 

a/n: I did promised I'll put something special. Does a little Hanchul moment special enough? Hohoho!

It's up to you guys how you would interpret Sungmin's words. థ౪థ

you→ (ノಠ ∩ಠ)ノ彡( \o°o)\ ←me