Fifteen

A Royal Curse

"Sungmin." Mr. Lee solemnly called his son.

It was early at night, and Sungmin was waiting for his mother's arrival. It's been a long time since he last saw his mother, and he's very excited to see her again. He planned to show her the family portrait he drew which was displayed on the refrigerator by his father. He was just playing on the floor while waiting, when his father came.

Upon hearing his name, Sungmin looked up. "Yes Papa?" Sungmin responded.

"Come here." Mr. Lee bent one of his knees to level with his child.

Sungmin approached his father and hugged the man. He could feel his father's heavy breathing, but he did not paid attention to it. Being a curious child he was, he asked something.

"When would Mama come back?"

With those words, Mr. Lee's breath hitched. He gently looked at his waiting son and softly explained the situation.

"There was a problem with the plane that Mama was riding. It cannot land anymore, so the pilot just took them all to heaven. I'm sorry Sungmin, but Mama won't be able to come back home anymore."

Sungmin's face displayed mix of emotions. He wants his mama. Why she would not come back anymore?

"Can't we follow them Papa?" Sungmin curiously asked. Mr. Lee just slowly shook his head as he tried to stop his tears.

"We don't know where they would go Sungmin."

"Mama doesn't love Sungmin anymore? But Sungmin is behaving. Sungmin is a good boy. I want my Mama back." Sungmin wailed.

"I'm sorry Sungmin." was all that Mr. Lee said.

Sungmin did not stop crying that fateful night.

During the funeral of his mother, Sungmin already understood the concept of death even at his young age of six. However, he still cannot accept the fate of his mother, so he kept weeping. During the first day, he cried his heart out, but he heard the murmurs of the people attending the memorial service.

"It's such a pity that his mother died at a young age, but his cries won't bring her back anymore."

"He's just wasting away his tears."

"A spoiled brat like him just wanted attention."

He concluded that people doesn't want to see him cry, so the next days, he kept his composure with great difficulty and did not shed a single tear. Still, he kept hearing whisperings.

"What a pompous child. Doesn't he care that his mother died?"

"Maybe he was not able to develop feelings for his parents since they were always away from him."

"It was all for his own benefit. He should feel glad that they provided everything for him."

With all the things he heard as a child, he felt confused on how to act in front of people. The funeral continued without him. He did want not attended the rest of the service, for he did not want to hear what other people thought of him. He only came when it was time to lay his mother to rest. He tried to keep his composure, but he also let small tears to flow from his eyes. That day, he felt at ease when he did not hear anything from the crowd.

One night, Sungmin ran away from their house. When Mr. Lee found out, he became alarmed at his son's disappearance. He reached for the police, but they cannot help him since Sungmin has not been lost for over twenty-four hours yet. Realizing that the police cannot help him, Mr. Lee searched for his son alone with the help of his house helpers. They searched the whole neighborhood, Sungmin's school, and parks near their area. It was already night, yet they still haven't seen him. Their worry only worsen when it started to rain. Mr. Lee became concerned for his people's health, so he sent most of them home.

They were already giving up on searching for Sungmin for that day, when Mr. Lee decided to go for the last place in his mind. He was treading the quiet cemetery, and headed to his wife's grave. He saw Sungmin crying in front of her tombstone, while trying to keep his drawing dry from the drops of rain.

Mr. Lee slowly approached his son with his hands clenched.

"Sungmin." He uttered. The young boy was surprised to hear the voice of his father. He turned around and saw his father's restrained face. He felt bad for running away, but now he felt scared at his father. "If you want to cry," his father continued, "you can come to me, and I will dry your tears."

He walked closer to his son, and Sungmin ran to his father's direction too.

"I'm sorry Papa."

They hugged and Mr. Lee carried Sungmin back home. Mr. Lee tried his best to calm Sungmin down. When they were about to sleep, Sungmin held his father's hand tightly. The setting suddenly changed. Sungmin found himself sitting near his father, who was sleeping on the hospital bed.

"No father, don't leave me.... Please... I need you."

 

Sungmin dreamt the day his mother died as well as his ill father. In his sleep, he felt his father's secure hug. Strangely, he felt lighter instead of sad. When he woke up, he was smiling.

"Oh I see. You're happy that you were able to sleep on my bed?" Heechul's voice asked.

Sungmin turned his head to the source of the sound and found a scowling Heechul. He felt scared because honestly, even if he did want that part of the bed, he did not remember how he ended there.

"Come on! I would let you sleep there from now on if you tell me how you manage to make Kyuhyun sleep with you. You sly fox! I didn't know you have tricks under your sleeves." Heechul's next words just confused Sungmin more.

"What are you talking about? Nothing happened yesterday." Sungmin then went on and explained what happened after Heechul left them.

"That's it? Nothing else happened?" Heechul asked. His disappointment was apparent. "Well, how can you explain this?" He then shoved Sungmin's phone to its rightful owner.

Sungmin looked at his phone's screen and saw himself sleeping with Kyuhyun hugging him. His heart pounded in his chest and he was left speechless. He looked back at Heechul with questioning eyes.

"Don't ask me. We just found you two sleeping like that." Heechul made face. "I thought something happened already. Well I suppose he would not turn back into a statue if something really did happen." He shook his head. "You still need to learn a lot from me. Don't worry I'll teach you the art of seduction." Heechul said with a sultry wiggle of eyebrows.

"I'm scared." Sungmin honestly said. He was doubting Heechul's idea.

When he stood up from the bed, Heechul instantly dragged him to the lounge. They had a meal with Hangeng while Heechul kept teaching Sungmin the "art of seduction." He even used Hangeng as his demonstrating partner. The poor man was forced to act, so "Sungmin would enjoy the lesson" as Heecchul put it.

"You should flirt with him! Or subtly touch him like this." Heechul eagerly said while slightly slapping Hangeng's arms. Sungmin was not even listening to him anymore.

After the lesson, the two man was finally able to breathe freely. Hangeng hurriedly went to sleep before Heechul practice his art of seduction on him again. We all know Heechul did not have to seduce him, and that Hangeng enjoyed it very much, but he still don't know how to act his emotions out. He was not sure whether Heechul feel the same thing towards him. For Hangeng, it is better safe than feel sorry if he did something impulsive. On the other hand, Sungmin was just happy that he doesn't have to watch Heechul and Hangeng act lovey-dovey towards one another.

Night came, and Heechul found Sungmin busying himself at the storage room with the scrolls.

"What are you doing here? Are you not supposed to be preparing for Kyuhyun's arrival? Do you even know what you two are going to do today?"

"I praised him yesterday with his improvements, so I'm sure he's going to ask me to drive him around the city again."

"Then?" Heechul urged Sungmin to continue.

"I cannot think of anything right now. It's hard enough to translate these scrolls. If I still think ways to make him fall for me, my mind would blow by now."

"Let me see that." Heechul then bent lower to see the scroll and read it. "It only says that they captured the servant, but during their search for the princess, she also disappeared."

Sungmin's mouth gaped. It took him years to be able to read and understand the old writing, but Heechul did not even exert any effort except for the blurry and erased part.

"How were you able to read it that fast? That's unfair! I studied hard, for me to read this, but you just read it because you remembered how to."

"Not all people are born equal." Heechul patted Sungmin's back. "Now tell me how you do the translating, and I'll continue it from this point on. You should be using your energy and mind to proper use."

After learning the process of translating, Heechul pushed Sungmin away from the room and locked the door. He opened it not long after and popped his head out.

"I want you to come back with positive result, okay?" He said then closed the door again. Sungmin just shook his head in a resigned manner. 

 

 

 

 

a/n: This was supposed to be longer, but I cut it (again) since I don't want to give y'all too much feels. ಠﭛಠ

I'm halfway done with the next chapter anyway, but I'll post it much later, so I can make it better. (As if I could improve it in any way. XD)

I did it again! I mean, I cried again while typing this story. Just ignore your crybaby author. ಥ_ಥ

Sungmin... what would I do to you? You should stop crying already!

Are you all even surprised when seeing this story in your New story update feeds? LOL!

But hey! I just want to thank those who commented last chappy (and all of those who commented so far)... All of you are paying attention. I love it!^^

Silent readers... :) I just want to say that y'all have the right to remain silent. Hahaha!

See you all... Hmm... Soon!!! Have a very pleasant day. ;)