Twenty

A Royal Curse

Hangeng's room was a mess. Clothes were clattered everywhere. On the messy bed, there were two people sitting restlessly. The only sound could be heard was their hoarse breathing. The lighting was dim, yet the atmosphere was intimate. Kyuhyun was facing Sungmin, holding the man's face close to his own. Both of them were panting as they stared at each other.

No. It was not what you think it is. It all started when Sungmin received a call from Siwon a month ago, telling him that they were approved, and the contractors were expecting them a week from the time Siwon called.

During that one month, Sungmin continued to teach Kyuhyun how to ride the bike until he was able to ride it without supervision. In order for Kyuhyun to be able to travel around the city by himself while Sungmin was gone, they rode together using two separate bicycles. Sungmin thought him how to yield for on-coming vehicles, use hand signals, dodge the pedestrians, and use the traffic light signal. Kyuhyun quickly grasped it and Sungmin was confident enough to leave the man. However, due to an acquired habit, Sungmin can't help, but worry just about anything. The night before he left, he kept pacing around the lounge and fuss over small things.

"Just call me when there's an emergency. No, it's better to call me every night." Sungmin suggested.

"You'll only be gone for three days Sungmin. I doubt something big would happen while you're gone." Hangeng reassured.

"You never know. Accidents happen when you least expect it."

"Just calm down already. You need to rest. You still have a long trip ahead of you." Heechul advised.

"I can't. I still have to remind Kyuhyun of several things."

"We could handle it Sungmin." Heechul said, emphasizing each syllable.

"Really? Hangeng hyung, do you have the GPS tracker for Kyuhyun's bicycle?"

"It's with the library keys. I won't be able to misplace it."

"What if Kyuhyun forgot how to use the GPS while he's out?" Sungmin feared.

"Sungmin, that's what the tracker is for, so we could find him before he turned back into a statue." Heechul exasperated. Sungmin needed to slow down and relax.

"Here's the car key. Please don't let bad things happen to him." Sungmin handed Heechul the key.

"That's it! Go to your room mister. You are grounded, and you are not allowed to leave until tomorrow. Go now and sleep." Heechul ordered.

Surprisingly, Sungmin obeyed like a child who was afraid to lose candy privilege. When Sungmin was gone, Heechul slumped on the chair and sighed with relief.

"Gosh! He's worst than a doting mother." Heechul said.

"Well, you act like the mother of the doting mother." Hangeng replied

"And you act like his father. Seriously, you care about him, but you don't show it."

"We have our own ways of showing our affection."

"Oh! So you just hide away your feelings away and expect the other person to know about it?"

"Maybe?"

"You're annoying."

"Why the two of you behaving like a married couple?" Kyuhyun asked. He came to life not long after Sungmin went to his room, so he witnessed the whole act.

"No we don't!" Both Heechul and Hangeng said simultaneously.

Kyuhyun just ignored them and tried to look for Sungmin in the lounge. He knew that the man was going to leave tomorrow morning, and just want to bid him a proper adieu. He stopped looking and was about to ask, when Heechul answered his unspoken question, before he could even construct the sentence in his brain.

"I sent him back to the room, so he could rest. I would like to check on him, but I might just get irritated. Check him instead if you want to."

"Why you worry about Sungmin so much? Are you his boyfriend?" Hangeng intervened.

"Now you're prying on my love life. What else do you want to know?"

To avoid being included in their love quarrel, Kyuhyun silently dashed off to see Sungmin. He was about to knock on the door when he heard a frustrated groan. He hesitantly went inside and saw Sungmin crouched on the floor, tossing clothes everywhere. There must be something wrong with the air. It looked like everyone was panicking.

"Sungmin." Kyuhyun called softly. "Sungmin." He called a little louder. "Sungmin!" He shouted, and that's only when Sungmin looked at him. "What are you doing?"

"I'm preparing clothes that you could borrow." Sungmin said. He turned around and went back on looking for clothes.

"You don't have to worry about it. I could manage by myself." Kyuhyun replied, but Sungmin did not seem to hear him.

"You remember how to use the GPS, right Kyuhyun? If you have questions, you could ask me right now or Hangeng when I'm gone." Sungmin blabbered while blindly throwing clothes everywhere.

"You need to stop." Kyuhyun advised.

There was no response. The other man was not paying attention to him. He was sure Sungmin was not even paying attention to his own actions.

"Sungmin!" Kyuhyun yanked Sungmin away from the luggage and sat him on the messy bed.

"Let me go. I don't have time. I need to make sure everything is perfect." Sungmin pleaded.

"No one needs to be perfect." Kyuhyun said, which made Sungmin frown.

"You don't know me, or the people who are always looking at me. They are sharp and relentless. They see every wrong move and decision, and they are not afraid to voice it out." Sungmin said while he quivered in fear.

Kyuhyun was puzzled who and why would anyone treat Sungmin so harsh, that it traumatized the man. How hard is it for him to live a normal life? He felt sorry for Sungmin and tried to ease his emotion. Kyuhyun held Sungmin's face tenderly and looked firmly in his eyes.

"I'm looking at you Sungmin, but I'm not judging you." Kyuhyun conveyed. "Calm down. Don't be too harsh on yourself. " He lectured slowly for Sungmin's benefit. "Please, stop thinking what others would think about you. Your actions are not inadequate."

"But-"

"Shh. Breathe." And Sungmin did.

They stayed like that for a while until Sungmin relaxed.

"You have to sleep now, understood?" Kyuhyun ordered, and Sungmin nodded while Kyuhyun was still holding his face.

Kyuhyun cleared the bed, so Sungmin could sleep comfortably. After discarding the clothes somewhere else, Kyuhyun tucked Sungmin in the bed. He caressed Sungmin's head several times to lull him to sleep. While waiting for the man to doze off, he remembered how his parents would do it whenever he had nightmares or just having trouble sleeping. He also remembered how his parents would kiss his forehead goodnight, and then he would be able to have a pleasant sleep.

When his memories faded in, he caught himself kissing Sungmin's forehead. His lips already touched the delicates skin before he could even stop himself. He pulled back in panic. After seeing that Sungmin was already asleep, he smiled. Yes, Sungmin just looked like a frightened child, and technically, he's way much older than Sungmin. He just mirrored his parent's actions. Maybe, he is also going to be a good parent in the future. He massage Sungmin's head once more and whispered 'good night' before he quietly left the room.

When he went back to the lounge, he saw Heechul and Hangeng double-checking Sungmin's baggage. Everybody must have just been worrying about Sungmin and his anxiety. At least Sungmin was down for tonight, and everyone seemed peaceful already.  However, Kyuhyun still felt uneasy that Sungmin was going somewhere far from the library.

 

Kyuhyun walked around and can't help, but worry. Something was bothering him, yet he can't point out exactly what it was. He just decided to turn his concern in a more productive way by reading.

A small tap on his shoulder woke Kyuhyun up. He must have fell asleep while reading. In fact, he was not sure what the book was even about. His mind was not in its proper place. He rubbed his eyes and saw Heechul waking him up.

"Sungmin is leaving any minute now. Seeing that you're still a human, why don't you send him off properly?" Heechul coaxed.

 

It was before dawn when Siwon arrived to fetch Sungmin from the library. They needed to leave extremely early to arrive at the island at least by afternoon. That way, they could still rest before they load the next two days with work and leave by night. Siwon carried Sungmin's luggage to his car and went back to the lobby inside the library.

"You look wonderful." Siwon complimented Sungmin. "Did you have a good night rest?"

"Surprisingly, I did."

"Are you two sure you're not going to eat breakfast here?" Hangeng asked.

"The food you packed is enough." Sungmin replied.

"We could also buy on the way. Thank you for the offer though." Siwon said. "I think we need to go Sungmin."

"Okay."

"Wait!" Hecchul, who just arrived, puffed. He sprinted towards Sungmin and hugged him. "Take care." He said. He leaned closer and whispered to Sungmin's ear. "Kyuhyun is being a chicken. He doesn't want to see you go away, but he said to come back home safe." Heechul pulled away and smiled. He ruffled Sungmin's hair and hugged him again.

"Okay that's enough." Hangeng intervened. He was afraid that Heechul would smother Sungmin if he won't stop right now.

 

Sungmin and Siwon walked to the car and waved good bye before going in. This time, Siwon was able to be a gentleman and opened the door for Sungmin. When he was done, he sprinted to the driver's seat and started the engine. Before they could leave completely, Sungmin was able to take a glance at Kyuhyun, who was peeking behind Heechul.

"See you later Kyuhyun." Sungmin mumbled to himself before settling to his seat.

 

"What are you doing behind my back?" Heechul questioned after the car left. He faced Kyuhyun and had his hands on his hips.

"That was Prince Siwon." Kyuhyun said, not clearly answering Heechul's question.

"So what if it's him?" Heechul asked, intrigued by Kyuhyun's demeanor.

"Is he courting Sungmin?"

Heechul raised a brow and scrutinized Kyuhyun before shrugging. "He told me he'll make Sungmin fall for him like what he did in the past. Too bad Sungmin forgot his previous life."

"He really was the princess?" Kyuhyun aghast.

He was shocked with his not-so-new discovery. He already thought that way before, but he cannot comprehend, how come a two entirely different people be the same? Although they have the same features, Sungmin is a man and far more kind than the evil princess.

"You knew it from the start, haven't you?"  Kyuhyun accused.

"Yes I did, and I know more a lot of things about him that you don't. For example, he's trying his best to make you happy, and he's not expecting anything big in return." Heechul sneered. "He is even helping you to find that... Whoever it is that you were looking for." Heechul added, then he took his leave.

Kyuhyun was deserted in the lobby, thinking how he should act around Sungmin once he gets back. He feel devastated. He can't believe that he was probably one of those who inflicted sufferings toward Sungmin, especially after recalling how harsh he was with the princess. At the same time, he can't help but feel wrathful, knowing that Sungmin is the same person who made his life miserable.

"I can trust you, right?" He mumbled to himself.

 

 

 

a/n: I just wanted to hear your thought on the first paragraph, but I'm not forcing you to comment. (=^-ω-^=)

Hohoho! I asked my sis to read it, and I got the reaction I wanted, so yeah... just wondering if you all did too.

Time to run away!!! ┻┳|・ω・)ノ