Twenty-Three

A Royal Curse

Sungmin's head was held high as he elegantly walked on the dim hallway towards the lobby. He squinted his eyes as he adjust his sight. Once he did, he saw the path was quaintly decorated with candles and petals, so he was extra care not to catch the hem of his dress on fire. It may look good on Katnis, but she's a fictional character. We all know what happens to people whose clothes were decorated with blaze of fire. It would not be a good sight.

Sungmin had no idea what was waiting for him on the end of the trail. Still, he confidently paraded himself inside the empty library. When he was nearing the window glass and door, he was able to recognize a lone figure in dark. He halted his steps, afraid of what was laid for him.

"Who's there?" He stammered.

Despite the question, the figure remained silent. Instead of an answer, Sungmin saw the figure snapped his finger. Instantly, a spotlight shone on the waiting man. The introduction was made theatrical with petals slowly falling from the ceiling.

The man's head was lowered, but his ancient clothing could be recognized easily. Kyuhyun slowly raised his head. The action made Sungmin's heart trash wildly. He placed a hand over his chest to calm it somehow. However, the way Kyuhyun seductively bit the tulip was not helping his situation.

To make the scene exciting, Kyuhyun raised his hand and gestured Sungmin to come closer with a finger. Sungmin did not hesitated and lifted his skirt as he ran towards Kyuhyun. When Sungmin stopped in front of him, Kyuhyun kneeled and offered the flower.

"For you my princess."

"Oh Kyu." Sungmin uttered when he accepted the simple present.

Kyuhyun stood up and hooked his arm on Sungmin's waist. Sungmin was about to say something, when Kyuhyun hushed him with a finger.

"Shh. This is the moment when we should kiss." Kyuhyun said. He removed his finger and leaned closer. Sungmin closed his eyes and waited for the contact.

 

"Yah! You're drooling. Stop imagining weird things." Heechul scolded. They were in the lounge discussing about the upcoming PBS event. "So, are you going to be a princess this coming PBS, huh?" Heechul asked with a malicious wiggle of brows.

Sungmin growled for his vanished daydream. It also served as his response for Heechul's inquiry.

"Oh come on. I bet you imagined yourself with Kyuhyun. Don't deny it. Just by the way your eyes sparkled, I knew exactly what you were thinking." Heechul pressed.

"My answer is still the same- No!"

"If you don't like the princess, why don't you go for the fairy?" Hangeng suggested.

"I knew it! You were the mastermind behind that fairy thing." Heechul accused Hangeng.

"The girls were arguing what kind of gown and accessories Sungmin was going to wear. I just asked them why don't go overboard and add glitters, wings and magic wand. Hence, they also voted for fairy." Hangeng explained.

"Be real Hangeng! Fairies aren't real." Heechul countered.

"Yeah sure, and Kyuhyun is not a statue from the past that lives from midnight until sunrise." Hangeng contradicted.

"I'm just wondering how on earth they thought of making me wear a gown for the event?" Sungmin cut in.

Hangeng just shrugged. Heechul became suspiciously silent. He remembered one of the days that Sungmin was gone:

 

Heechul never actually show himself around the library during it's opening hours. He would either stay on his expensive comfy bed, bother Hangeng and Sungmin, or bore himself while translating the scrolls containing the princess' information.

The task was getting on his nerves. He still remembered what happened in the past like it just happened yesterday. These writers probably thought it would be nice to change some points in the history, so their nation would appear outstanding. They put little emphasis on how exacting they were with the princess. However, Sungmin specifically told him to translate diligently; just put whatever was written, and so he did.

When Sungmin went to Jeju, Heechul changed his routine a bit. He woke up early on a particular special day. It was the day when they were going to put the box inside the employee's lounge, so they could vote for Sungmin's next costume.

With his hoodie and cap on, he cautiously stroll his way on the counter where the box was placed. He was still not sure how to convince the other staffs to vote for his idea, but he would think of a way. While writing his suggestion, a male staff approached him.

"Excused me, do you work here?" He asked.

Heechul spun and looked at him. They were both surprised. Heechul was raking his brain to think of an answer, so he could leave instantly while the man was just stunned at his scarred face. They were silent for a while when a female worker came.

"It's okay. I've seen him with Sir Sungmin and Hangeng oppa before. I think he works for Sir Sungmin too." She said. Heechul was about to correct her that he was just helping Sungmin, and that she should not call Hangeng oppa for personal reason, when the man asked him to clarify it.

"Are you working for Mr. Lee?"

"I'm translating the scrolls." He replied. "In speaking of translating, I should probably start now." Heechul then quickly took his leave.

"Wait your suggestion!" The female shouted at him, but Heechul left it in the open for a reason.

"Princess. Ha, that's new." The male mumbled.

"What princess?"

"The one that you are holding. That strange guy was going to suggest princess. I guess I don't have to think what I'll vote for."

 

Thus, the chain began. They talked about it the whole day until Hangeng voiced out his silly addition. In the end, they had equal votes for princess and fairy. They only needed one vote to determine the real winner, and that was now on Sungmin's hand.

"I vote for nothing. I don't want to do this." Sungmin protested.

"One vote for nothing against us? You're still on the losing team Sungmin. Just pick one." Heechul insisted.

"You are going to make the staff happy, especially the girls." Hangeng added.

"But this was supposed to make the kids happy, not you guys." Sungmin sulked. He gave up knowing he did not have a choice but to comply. It was his own idea to dress up and let the staff vote when they started this event anyway. He just did not anticipated the extensive power of democracy.

"I'm sure the kids would love it." Hangeng comforted.

"Maybe Kyuhyun would finally fall for you once he saw you dressed up as a girl." Heechul quipped.

"Ugh! It's not funny." Sungmin whined.

"What is not funny?"

All three heads faced the newcomer. They saw Kyuhyun with a curious look on his face. Slowly, a sly grin was creeping on Heechul's face. Kyuhyun glared at him and was about to interrogate the scarred-face male, when Sungmin groaned.

"Can we just not talk about it anymore? The voting was held when I was not here. I'll withdraw the results, and I demand reelection."

"The results would be the same Sungmin. Besides, we only need one vote, right? Since you're so adamant on not picking anything, let us just ask Kyuhyun." Heechul suggested.

"What do you need me for?" Kyuhyun asked. He was clearly clueless on what's happening, but no one cared to explain anything to him.

Before anyone could utter a syllable, Sungmin stood up and walked away as fast as he can with his injured foot. No one dared to stop him for several reasons: (1) It was quite amusing to watch. He looked funny yet pathetic. Hangeng did not want to be caught laughing, so he let Sungmin alone. (2) Sungmin was already fuming. Heechul knew he made the former princess mad, so wanted to give him some space. Kyuhyun did not stopped him, but he followed the man in a distance. (3) Apparently, he was thinking Sungmin needed to calm down and be alone, so he could explain to him the problem.

 

To get away from the prying eyes of his companions, Sungmin headed to kid's corner of the library on the second floor. It was rather difficult even if he was using the ramp, but he still managed to reach his destination. He was glad yet exhausted. Once he made it in front of one of the large bean bags, he carefully propped himself and sat comfortably. He wanted to throw away his crutches but thought otherwise. He would only make it hard for himself to get it back. He just ended up dropping them on his side.

Sighing, he laid his back on the soft material of the bean bag and closed his eyes. He really considered dressing up as a princess since it was something close to his heart. No. He was not into cross-dressing, but being a princess in his past life, it felt like something normal for him.

The only thing that was holding him back was Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun hated the princess, and Sungmin doesn't want Kyuhyun to hate him now as a man. He didn't know how much information Heechul and Kyuhyun heard with his conversation with Hangeng. Although it is safe to say that Kyuhyun missed the topic about Sungmin's feelings for him, to know that Kyuhyun oppose the idea of homouals was enough for Sungmin not to act and show his real emotions.

How can he make Kyuhyun fall for him now? How can he release the man he loves from the curse?

With a blank mind, Sungmin gave up meditating and just went to sleep. He was still fatigued from the trip, and the bean bag was comfortable enough to sleep on. Literally sleeping on a problem sounded divine to Sungmin. After some tossing and turning, he finally reached dreamland, where he continued his disrupted fantasy. Too bad. He just missed the kissing scene. Sungmin groaned and whined in his sleep.

 

Kyuhyun kept looking at Sungmin from afar. He was contemplating when would be the right time to approach the man. While waiting for that moment, he observed Sungmin's disturbed state. It was clear that Sungmin was worrying too much again. Was it something about the subject that they were talking about in the lounge? Does his foot bothering him, or was it something about Prince Siwon?

Kyuhyun shook his head as he eliminated the negative idea and feeling about Prince Siwon. He sort of heard Hangeng telling Sungmin to go for and pursue his love even if the person was a male. If Sungmin loves the prince, there must be no problem unless someone told him it is not right. With that thought, Kyuhyun instantly smacked his head. Of course that would be it! He told Sungmin it was disgusting, so Sungmin's first reaction would be avoiding any relationships with a man.

"How stupid and harsh could I be?" Kyuhyun muttered to himself.

He focused back at Sungmin. Judging from the careless position and soft snores coming from the short man, it was easy to deduce that Sungmin was already sleeping. Kyuhyun quietly walked towards Sungmin and crouched down.

Kyuhyun smiled from the view in front of him. Sungmin had his tired eyes shut close, but his adorable pouty lips were slightly open. Those were enough for a man to lose his masculinity for a bit, but there were more to see. Sungmin's fetal position made him look a hundred times younger than his age. And those puffy cheeks could ruin someone's sanity. Having his hands clasped together on the side of his face was the cherry on top. Just add a lullaby music, and he would look like a child sleeping in his nursery room.

Kyuhyun cannot blame Prince Siwon if he was still captivated by this beauty- female or not. Even back in the history, Minsung's magnificence was the standard for beauty. And of course, no one could top her. The innocence and purity that Sungmin and Minsung radiates can make anyone fall for them, yet it was also the reason why many people envy them.

"It is truly hard to be you, is it not? I wish I could help you in any way." Kyuhyun whispered as he brush off the stray fringe on Sungmin's forehead. "We are friends, right? You could also share your troubles with me." He continued. Sungmin did not respond, and Kyuhyun expected that, yet he wished Sungmin would agree.

Seeing that he would not get any answer, Kyuhyun just leaned closer to kiss Sungmin's forehead once again. However, this time he was able to stop himself. He looked down on a still sleeping Sungmin and heaved a sigh.

"This is not right." He thought.

Kyuhyun should keep his words. He detests this kind of thing. He should not allow his loneliness get the better of him. Isn't loyalty what Sungmin admire about him? However, allowing himself getting this close to a man- the former princess even- would be the opposite of being loyal.

Kyuhyun stood up, ready to leave, but his hands remained glue to Sungmin's crown. He willed himself to turn around and walk away, but his feet was stuck on the carpeted floor. He knew he was not turning back into a stone. He could easily move his body, but it was his heart that was refusing to do so.

"What have you done to me?" Kyuhyun spoke. "Please wake up and answer me." He added in his mind. However, as if Kyuhyun voiced out those words, Sungmin's eyes fluttered open to answer him.

"Kyuhyun?" Sungmin called in a hoarse voice. "What are you doing here?"

Kyuhyun quickly removed his hands before Sungmin could notice where it was placed. Sungmin slowly got up and charmingly rubbed away the sleep from his eyes. Kyuhyun had to look away to avoid the foreign feeling and unknown emotions.

"Is it not me who is supposed to ask you that? You have a comfortable bed you could rest in. Why don't you use it?" Kyuhyun said without looking at Sungmin. Sungmin did not even noticed, for he still felt very tired. He closed his eyes once again while sitting on the bean bag. His head was even nodding uncontrollably.

"How did you know it's comfortable?" Sungmin asked sleepily, completely forgetting the event happened before. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, could not find his voice to respond right away.

"Th-that's not the point." He stuttered.

"You're still not answering me." Sungmin replied. He opened his eyes and looked at the flustered man in front of him.

Kyuhyun quickly faced Sungmin. "To what question?" He inquired carefully.

"What are you doing here?"

Relieved that Kyuhyun did not have to answer why he find the bed comfortable, Kyuhyun relaxed and answered.

"I just thought you needed someone to talk with. Is there something bothering you?"

With that question, Sungmin palmed his face with both hands. He was not in the mood to talk about it, but he cannot ignore Kyuhyun, especially since he's showing concern.

Sungmin estimated that their discussion would take time, so he patted the space next to him, urging Kyuhyun to sit. Kyuhyun hesitantly took the space next to Sungmin and sat down. He had to balance himself first because the bag seemed like going to swallow him. When he finally sat steadily, Sungmin started sharing his distress.

"Remember the upcoming event that I told you?" Sungmin asked.

"The PBS one? Why? You're having problem with it?"

Sungmin sighed before answering. "Yes and no." He looked up at Kyuhyun once again. "The event is a small one. There's hardly any problem with it, except for one thing."

"What is it?" Kyuhyun asked curiously.

"The costume." Sungmin briefly replied.

Instead of responding, Kyuhyun just nodded to acknowledge Sungmin's predicament. The man already told him before that his workers often vote for funny ideas.

"I'm sure you will look-"

"They want me to dress up as a princess or a fairy." Sungmin cut Kyuhyun, knowing that Kyuhyun would comfort him with the same words again.

Kyuhyun was amused with the idea, but was not surprised.

"A princess and a fairy?" He repeated. "What is a fairy?"

"A fairy?" Sungmin had to think first before continuing his words. "Fairies are mythical creatures originated in Europe, a place far from here. They are depicted as someone having power to protect their territory. For most of the time, they are described as young, winged and tiny being."

"It doesn't sound real compared to the princess, but I can see why they chose fairy for you." Kyuhyun commented.

"I'm not short." Sungmin retorted.

"I'm not saying anything about being short." Kyuhyun defended.

"But you implied it."

"I'm just thinking that you look young."

"Oh." Sungmin was speechless with Kyuhyun's comment. Not wanting to be awkward, he changed the topic. "I don't want to dress up as a fairy. They often wear provocative clothing."

"Then why not choose the princess?"

"Because you hate the princess." Sungmin whispered, but Kyuhyun heard nevertheless.

They sat down in silence, not knowing what to do or say next. Fortunately, two unwanted but needed intruders came.

"Have you decided Sungmin?" Heechul asked warily.

"I-" Sungmin was still unsure and undecided. He looked at Kyuhyun for help.

Kyuhyun was also looking at him, anticipating his answer. Kyuhyun somehow knew that Sungmin did not want any of the options. He wanted to help, but the way Sungmin was looking at him was doing all unimaginable things to his heart.

"Maybe Kyuhyun could help. We only needed one vote anyway." Hangeng suggested.

Kyuhyun looked at Heechul and Hangeng before making a decision. He did his best not to look at Sungmin as he state said his words.

"I vote for the princess."

"Princess it is!" Heechul chirped.

"I'll tell the staff later, so they could prepare everything." Hangeng said.

 

Sungmin remained silent. He looked at Kyuhyun, who was still sitting on his side. Kyuhyun also was not uttering any words, but the two other male was not paying attention since they animatedly plan the event themselves.

Kyuhyun needed to do this. He cannot let himself feel anything special for Sungmin. He needed to find a reason not to like Sungmin more than what he was feeling right now. Seeing him as the princess might help. It sounded like a coward judgment, but he has to try anything- everything.

He planned to ignore Sungmin for the whole night, but his eyes betrayed him. He quickly glanced at the man, and the moment his eyes laid on Sungmin, he instantly regretted his decision. He was just not sure whether it was voting for the princess or looking at Sungmin.

Sungmin was looking at Kyuhyun unbelievingly. He thought he could trust Kyuhyun to help him out if the situation, but he just made it harder. Sungmin did not want to be a princess for so many reasons, yet Kyuhyun still picked it. Being a fairy was more bearable, but being someone you and the person you love hated the most is a cruel punishment.

Sungmin fumed more than before. He angrily took his crutches and stood up. Once again, he walked away from them.

"I'm going back home. The doctor advised me to take a lot of rest. Just call me when everything is settled, and I'll come back."

"Sungmin." Heechul and Hangeng worried simultaneously. They were sensitive enough to know that Sungmin was still angry. In this state, he really needed to cool off somewhere far from the library.

As Sungmin was walking away, Kyuhyun looked at him with full guilt.

"I'm so sorry, but I need this."

 

 

 

a/n: Please don't believe me when I say something about what's going to happen next chapter... I at estimating my own writing.

Sorry for the wait!!! °(ಗдಗ。)°.

I went to vacation last weekend. Although I already typed the first part, I was either lazy or busy to continue the rest. ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ)

I came back last Sunday, but then I didn't know what to write anymore.

The momentum was gone, but I'll get it once I read a single comment from you guys.^^

 

PS: Thank you for those who wished me well when I had the allergy. I looked funny, so my family just laughed it off, but you guys even worried for me. I feel very thankful!

PPS: I didn't say what color Sungmin hair was. I wanted it blonde, yet I find black more suitable (and ier), since coloring hair can resemble rebellion, which Sungmin doesn't do. I wanted to know your thoughts for research purposes. Please~