Eight

A Royal Curse

Siwon and Sungmin arrived at an old fancy restaurant situated on the outskirt of Seoul. They were welcomed and guided inside a secluded room with a table setting for two. Despite the unnecessary privacy, Sungmin noticed the professional aura and felt a little relieved. When they sat down, Siwon started talking.

"I hope you don't mind, but I already ordered our meal ahead. I asked them to serve us a full traditional Korean course."

"Traditional Korean cuisine sounds exquisite."

They ate their meal while talking about trivial things. With the light atmosphere, Sungmin was able to relax. He almost forgot the reason why he was with Siwon, until he was reminded by the said person.  After eating their dinner, Siwon sat up straight and begun speaking with a business tone.

"As I was telling you on the phone, I have something to discuss about the things your father told me before.", Siwon said.

Sungmin held his breath and was formulating possible responses with all the possible things Siwon might say to him. He kept reminding himself that he's not Minsung, and that he's a guy. He can do whatever he wants, and he can oppose any arrangement Siwon has planned if it's not to his liking.

"It has something to do with the Jeju project he had in mind.", he added when Sungmin didn't respond. "Your father wanted you to oversee the Jeju project without his help, though he already laid the foundation for the whole deal. All I need is your confirmation and support."

Sungmin's train of thought vanished in a flash. That thought did not even crossed his mind, so he was not prepared.

"I promised him that we would do it together.", he said.

"I understand that Sungmin, but if we would wait for your father's recovery, the work that he had done would be gone to waste. The contractors were already pressing me to continue this work. They may back down if we don't act fast. As for now, we are not sure when your father would get better. Don't worry Sungmin, I'll be with you throughout this work."

Sungmin did not like the sound of that idea a bit. He was sure that the additional responsibility was his father's way to train him how to run their business in a larger scale, but Minsung's history crossed his mind once again.

"I'm sorry, but this is too sudden for me. Let me think about it first." He needed to clear his mind. He cannot just decide impulsively then regret it later. "I'll leave first." Sungmin then stood up and headed for the exit.

"Sungmin." Siwon stood up immediately after him. "I know you're hesitating, but it'll make your father happy. I'm so sure of that. I'll be waiting for your response, but you only have one week at most."

Sungmin nodded his head as acknowledgement and left the place. He did not let Siwon send him home since he did not want to be alone with him any longer. He hailed a cab and directed the driver to head to the hospital. He didn't feel like going back to the library, and he felt the need to talk to his father about the things that were disturbing his mind.

"Hello dad. How are you today? I had an exhausting day. Since the day of your accident, I feel like I never had any decent sleep. There are just too many things happening." Sungmin looked at his father, observing for any kind of response, but nothing. He then just continued what he was saying. "Remember the friend that I was talking about?  I still haven't seen his lover. He'll probably get mad at me now." He bitterly chuckled to himself.

"Also, should I start doing the project without you? Do you really trust me with such a big matter?" Sungmin was more like asking himself than his father. He knew what he must do, what his father wanted him to do, but he was afraid to take risk and fail. He was always like that. From the time he was born, he always had the public's attention, and they always had impossible expectations from him.

He was good at everything, but not particularly good at anything. He's a fast learner, not as a talent, but because he had to. People might say that everything was handed to Sungmin on a silver platter, but they just don't realize that everything that he does comes with hard work.

He always excel  at anything as he grew up. He topped every class, joined as much school club activities as he could, became the student council president during his senior year, and fed the hungry. The only thing he's still not able to do, was provide world peace. Still, people kept criticizing him and kept expecting more from him.

Upon realizing his father's plan for him, he sent Siwon a brief message.

"Just tell me when to start."

Sungmin trusted his father's plan and Siwon's word. Maybe he's just thinking too much about it. Taking this risk might help him to grow more as a person and make his father more proud. Failing once in life doesn't mean the end of the world, right?

Siwon replied shortly after he pressed the send button. It looks like Siwon was watching his phone all this time for his message.

"I'll send you all the details first thing tomorrow. It's late now, and you should get some rest. Good night Sungmin♥. Sweet dreams. :^)"

Sungmin looked at the message for a good fifteen minutes, trying to interpret the meaning of it. He came to a dreadful conclusion that Siwon liked him. Did the historical Siwon loved the princess too? He was still going to find out about it, but not today. He decided to head home and rest just like what Siwon said.

 

After having enough rest, Sungmin drove to the library to start his day. He saw Hangeng cleaning the cluttered papers on the floor on the lounge.

"What happened here?" Sungmin asked.

"Nothing much. I just thought Kyuhyun how to read and write Hangul."

Sungmin then remembered his promise to Kyuhyun. He felt guilty for forgetting, and he felt more regretful after hearing Hangeng's next words.

"He was looking for you yesterday, saying that you promised to teach him how to read and write. I just told him that you were busy. He bought it and asked me to teach him instead. I don't know why he was so eager to learn, but he's a fast learner. He's kinda upset with you though. You should probably apologize later if you're going to stay."

Sungmin knew why Kyuhyun was keen on learning their new writing system. It has something to do with either Sooyoung, reading the gardening manual, or both. After helping Hangeng to tidy up, he begun translating to ignore the matter about Kyuhyun. His conscience was disturbing him for not fulfilling a simple promise.

He took and prepared another scroll since he already finished the first one. He took a random one and laid it carefully on the table. Sungmin was surprised after reading the first words of that certain scroll.

 

After Princess Minsung's death-

 

"Wait, what? She died already?" Sungmin could have still translated it, but decided otherwise. He doesn't want to spoil the story by reading first the end of it. He set aside the document and laid another one. This time, he was able to get the succeeding one.

It mostly just stated what Minsung did, or rather what she was forced to do during her father's sickness; she became a puppet ruler alongside her betrothed, Siwon.

 

Siwon proved to be a ruler equal to Prince Chunhwa.

He was as loving, merciful, and fair just as the princess' father.

He did his best to show his affection towards Minsung.

However, the princess never returned the feelings the prince had for her, yet she never reject his advances to satisfy the crowds' expectations.

 

His thoughts were right then; historical Siwon did adore the princess. However, he saw  additional similarities he had with the princess; he cannot reciprocate the other's feelings for him.

He continued his task and was confused with the next part of the scroll.

 

To relieve the strain she was experiencing inside the palace, the princess spent her spare time at the palace garden, tending her own plot of tulip flowers.

It was known to be her most beloved kind of blossom.

One night, the palace was alarmed to find the princess missing.

They sent half of the palace guards to search the whole kingdom as discretely as possible.

 

He did not know the meaning of this. He stopped translating to that point because of confusion. Was Princess Minsung the actual lady the legend was talking about? How did Sooyoung entered the scene then? He has so many question in mind (I'm sure you do too), yet he was not on the right mental and emotional condition to continue learning the truth anymore. At least he was certain about one thing- he doesn't love Kyuhyun the same way as the princess.

 

The midnight was fast approaching, and Sungmin became more apprehensive. He doesn't want to see Kyuhyun for the mean time after the big revelation, but his guilty conscience was telling him to apologize to the man. He then decided to just tell Hangeng that he'll be out searching for Sooyoung.

"Who's Sooyoung?" Hangeng inquired.

"He did not tell you?" Sungmin asked.

"Who?"

"Sooyoung."

"No, who supposed to tell me who Sooyoung is?" Before Sungmin could answer, someone interrupted their conversation.

"There you are. I have been looking for you yesterday."

Sungmin froze from his spot. Good thing that his back was facing Kyuhyun, so he won't be able to see him, and Kyuhyn would not be able to see his expression.

"Okay. You two settle your argument alone. I'll be just patrolling around. Be kind to one another." Hangeng said as he let the two resolve their building conflict. He knew the two are beginning to form a close friendship, and he doesn't want to witness the ruin of it. They look good together since they show different atmosphere when they spend their time with each other. He left, expecting the two to have a good time.

"Can we go out tonight as payment for your neglected vow?" Kyuhyun requested expectantly.

Sungmin calmed himself first, then turned around and said,"I can't... go alone with you.", only voicing out the first part and leaving the rest to himself.

"You always give me false hope!" Kyuhyun accused. "Perhaps you also don't search for Sooyoung, doesn't it?" That was it. Something about what Kyuhyun said irked him.

"I told you I'll think about it first! And for your information, I'm not as free as you. I don't have much available time as you do." Sungmin carelessly said when he snapped. He realized what he just uttered, then clasped his mouth immediately after it. He never showed hostility towards anyone. He was always afraid on how people would negatively react about it.

Kyuhyun on the other hand was stunned. He never thought Sungmin would be this insensitive.

"I may not be as busy as you, but I only have a limited time to be able to freely move myself. This is the only time I have to search for the person I love. I apologize for being a bother to you." Sungmin's guilt only multiplied many times.

"I... you're not the one who was supposed to apologize. I'm the one at fault. I'm sorry.", Sungmin said. "For now, let us just continue your lesson. Ask me again once you can read and write Hangul.", he added.

Without further ado, Kyuhyun dragged Sungmin to the lounge. He took a blank paper and a pen and carefully wrote a word in Hangul-  사랑합니다 (Saranghamnida)

Sungmin was startled. His heart started beating erratically.

"I still don't know much, but I know enough to be able to tell Sooyoung how I feel. I want her to read this word." Kyuhyun explained with a glow on his face. He managed to make Sungmin's heart beat and break at the same time within seconds.

'Of course. What was I thinking? He loves Sooyoung, and not me. Not only am I a guy, I also represent Minsung, the person he loathes the most.' Sungmin thought. He gave a broken smile to Kyuhyun and complimented him for his hard work and progress.

"Am I allowed to go out now?" Kyuhyun asked with the same expectation as before, if not more.

Sungmin was left without a choice and agreed. They looked for Hangeng and told him their plan.

"You are not going out with that clothes, are you?" Hangeng asked Kyuhyun.

"What is wrong with my garment?"

"You would attract unwanted attention with that on, even if there's not much people outside during this time. It's better if you change in a more modern clothes. I could let you borrow mine."

They went to Hangeng's room and rummaged for clothes that could fit Kyuhyun. After finding a decent set, they instructed Kyuhyun how to put it on without help and left the room. Kyuhyun felt that he wasted too much time already, so he hurriedly changed without care. Due to his fast action, the scroll in his torso rolled down somewhere in the room.

He went outside and saw Sungmin waiting on the opened door with Hangeng.

"I'm prepared. Can I leave now?" He asked.

"I still have something to do.", Sungmin said, "come here."

Kyuhyun approached Sungmin and halted when he was close enough. Sungmin slowly raised his hand and reached behind Kyuhyun's neck. Kyuhyun flinched away before the other's hand could touch him.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm just trying to remove something that may hinder you from leaving this place."

"Be urgent."

Sungmin did as what he was told to do and gave the tracker to Hangeng. He was actually hesitant on removing it. Not because he doesn't want Kyuhyun to leave, but because his heart was pounding inside his ribs. He even felt sparks when the tip of his fingertips touched part of Kyuhyun's nape.

Kyuhyun ran outside as soon as Sungmin removed whatever it is that was attached to him. He doesn't have much time, and he also don't know where to start looking.

"Kyuhyun wait!" Sungmin shouted.

"What now?" Kyuhyun grumbled.

"It'll be faster if we drive around." Sungmin was then standing beside a sleek piece of modern machinery.  Kyuhyun draw nearer as Sungmin opened his black BMW. "You can sit here on the passenger side." Sungmin instructed, and Kyuhyun cautiously followed. When Kyuhyun was inside, Sungmin closed the door and sprint towards the driver's seat.

"Please wear your seat belt. It's the one on your right." Sungmin pointed. "Do it like this." He then showed how the seatbelt works. Kyuhyun was still dazed being inside a metal cage with wheels, that he didn't get what Sungmin told him. Sungmin knew they don't have much time, so he took advantage of Kyuhyun's lack of attention and put the belt on the taller male himself.

Kyuhyun, however, noticed Sungmin removed his own belt and moved closer to him. Sungmin managed to put on the belt to Kyuhyun, but he was startled to see Kyuhyun's face close to him. They stayed like that for a while. Both too stunned to react.

"Aren't we leaving yet?" It was Kyuhyun who broke their awkward stare.

"Oh yeah, sure. Just try to look outside while I drive around." Sungmin started the car and drove around the part of the city with enough people around. It would be a long night for both of them.

 

 

 

 

a/n: There... I made it as longer as I could.

I'm too tired to add more since it's already 3 a.m. right now.

I just wanted to update because we are really going to be busy next week with all the moving and stuff. I also have 2 more stories I need to update.

I'm not sure if comments = faster update is even applicable to this story. XD

This is all for now. See you again next time. :)