Eleven

A Royal Curse

Sungmin was running away from something, or was it someone? He did not know and he did not care. All he knew was he needed to escape. He was sprinting inside the thickest part of the woods. While running, he wondered since when did he visited this part of Seoul? He kept running while trying to dodge the branches of trees and protruding roots from the ground. It was a hassle especially since he was wearing a skirt.

A thick dark forest in Seoul? Plausible, but him wearing skirt? It didn't sound right. He tried to stop running, but it seems like he cannot control his body anymore. He was running, yet he was not even feeling tired at all. He was getting concerned and edgy since he had no idea what was really happening.

He suddenly stopped when he saw a river in front of him. He then noticed himself looking left and right as if trying to locate something. Somehow Sungmin believed that he knew this place by heart. He headed to the left side and followed the opposite flow of the river. He walked a little more until he reached a pathway surrounded with different variety of delicate flowers. He felt peace and calm as soon as he arrived in that place. He extended his arms as he slowly walked, and let the tips of his fingers gracefully touch the flowers. He then closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he opened his eyes, he saw a small pavilion straight ahead. His heart thumped faster in a flash upon seeing it. He did not wasted time and moved towards the pavilion. He entered and adored the view of the lake from his position. His eyes was roving around as he appreciate what he was seeing then he spotted a scroll-like letter rolled on the stem of the lone tulip. He saw his hands caress it for a while before taking a hold of it and placing it near his heart. He inhaled the scent of the flower and opened the letter. He could hear a feminine voice reading the writing effortlessly. He tried to decode the message, but he was distracted by the reader's voice. He settled by listening to her, but he can only understand certain words with her fluent pace of reading. Still, he did not have to guess what kind of letter that was, for he heard words of affection from her as she read it. He was not sure why he also felt like blushing. He was just surprised after seeing Kyuhyun's name as the sender.

He was still overwhelmed with the warm emotion he was still feeling when the sky turned dark and the wind became gusty. The clouds started pouring rain, and he suddenly find himself outside the protective shelter of the pavilion while he saw two person inside it. Even with the blast of heavy rain, he could recognized Kyuhyun. He was hugging a female securely as he glare at his direction. He felt a sudden sting in his heart. He wanted to talk to Kyuhyun, but his fear of rejection over-powered him. When he can't take the torment anymore, he turned around and returned to the path he took before. This time, however, he did not care if branches injure him. He just wanted to get as far as he could to the place he once considered as sanctuary. He only stopped running on the muddy ground when an exposed root caught the hem of his dress and his leg gave out. He wept bitterly to ease his painful heart.

He did not know how long he was soaked under the rain. He did not care about anything or anyone except for Kyuhyun. That was why he did not notice the presence of another person in that forest. He was stunned when he felt a hand land softly on his shoulder. He looked up and tried to identify the person in front of him. The dark surroundings and the storm was not helping at all. He was only able to behold the person's face when he bent down lower. He saw someone that looked like Heechul staring at him sorrowfully. He examined the man's enticing face. However, the shadow from the man's cloak was hiding a considerable part of his face. A strong blast of wind passed them and the cloak drifted away with it. A lightning came and Sungmin saw a huge patch of scar decorating his otherwise handsome face. He heard the loud thunder, and he suddenly sat up from Hangeng's bed.

He felt relief when he realized that all of it was just a dream. But why it felt so real? He still could feel his heart aching because of his dream that looked like Minsung's memory. A piercing dull pain from his head made him remember all the alcohol he drank yesterday. He could also vaguely remember his conversation with Heechul.

"You," Heechul pointed at Sungmin "and me," he then pointed to himself, "we're from the past. You and Princess Minsung are one person. I don't know why and how you forgot the past, but I'm here to help you remember."

He tried to recall his dream to find out if it was really Minsung's remembrance. When he recalled Kyuhyun's hateful stare, his eyes started tearing again. He never want to see that kind of look from Kyuhyun anymore. But if he and the princess are the same person, it means that Kyuhyun would detest him if he finds out. He was about to breakdown again when the door opened, revealing Heechul holding a tray with Sungmin's food.

"I got you a porridge to help with your hangover." Heechul said.

He was looking at the tray to avoid spilling anything, so he did not see Sungmin's condition. He just saw from his peripheral vision that the other man was already awake. When Sungmin did not respond, Heechul looked at his poor friend.

"Why are you always crying when I approach you?" he sighed exasperatedly.

He place the tray on the nightstand and gathered Sungmin in his arm. Sungmin, however, turned away to avoid the embrace. He did not need any comfort. He just wanted to confirm something, so he held Heechul's face.

"I thought you love Kyuhyun? Well if you want a kiss, he's just in the lobby, standing very still. I'm sure he wouldn't mind nor run away." Heechul said.

Sungmin just pressed a finger to close his big mouth for a while. When he saw the large dark patch of scar on Heechul's face that was similar on the man of his dream, he was sure then that that person and Heechul are the same. He touched that particular part of skin which made Heechul flinch.

"How did you get the rest of your scars?" Sungmin asked and removed his hands.

It took a while for Heechul to understand Sungmin's question, but when he did, he smiled and asked, "You remembered now?" Sungmin shook his head.

"I had a dream. I was running in a forest twice. It took me a while to realize that it was Minsung's memory."

"I assume it's not a pleasant dream then." Heechul carefully asked. Sungmin looked at Heechul. Heechul could see the pain and sadness in his face.

"He loathes me Heechul hyung." Sungming fervently shook his head. "If he found out... if he found out that I and the princess are the same, I can never make him fall for me anymore. If that happens, I would never be able to break his curse."

"Don't say things like that. Didn't I tell you that I'll help you to capture his heart? Just trust me. He'll fall for you." Heechul encouraged Sungmin. He patted him on the arm and offered the food once more.

While eating, a thought came to Sungmin's mind.

"Where have you been? Why did you suddenly disappear?"

"Hangeng asked me the same thing. Did you two missed me that much?"

"Just answer the question."

"It's a bother repeating the same thing over and over again."

Sungmin just sighed when he deemed that he cannot get a decent answer from Heechul. He asked a different question to change the topic.

"I was just wondering, where exactly do you live?"

"Nowhere exactly. Wherever hotel that doesn't mind my appearance I guess. My parents abandoned me when they can't take the fact that they have a hideous son. A very nice ahjumma took me in her care and provided for my needs until she fell sick and eventually died. I inherited all her property, but I sold them to look for you. It was not hard since you're fairly famous."

"How did you know that you are from the past then?"

"I grew up having the memory of my past self. At first it was confusing, but I got used to it and understood it better as I get older. It is still a mystery why you forgot yours, though I have a theory why." Heechul chuckled. "But I could see that you still love Kyuhyun even if you forgot that fact. Him being your favorite historical character, says it all."

Sungmin knew that he should be planning on how to help Kyuhyun with his curse, but he did not want to think about him for the mean time. He diverted the conversation once again.

"Can you come with me later? I'm just going to buy something."

"Sure."

 

After his meal, Sungmin cleansed and prepared to leave with Heechul. They left Hangeng, who was sleeping in his room that was always occupied by Sungmin. Sungmin drove his car to a mattress and furniture store.

"What are we exactly doing here? You're going to re-decorate your room?" Heechul asked as they shop around.

The people started giving him offensive stares as always. He was so used to it that he even just flaunt his scars. One of the attendants was about to request them to leave when Sungmin asked her to show him their most expensive full-sized bunk bed with trundle. The sales lady wanted to scoff, but they are customers still.

"That is stored in our inventory storage. If you want, I can show you our brochure so you can pick which bed do you like."

"Didn't he specifically asked for the most expensive one? Just give that one to us." Heechul intervened. Sungmin wanted to laugh because that was what he wanted to do, but he was afraid that someone would recognize him and it will somehow ruin his perfect reputation.

The sales lady was not sure how to act anymore. She was not sure whether to trust these guys, but if she would be able to sell that piece, it can greatly affect her position in a good way.

"Don't worry. We'll pay in cash." Heechul pushed without asking Sungmin if he could afford it. He looked at him and saw the smaller man trying to contain his smile.

"Yes. I really hate financing." Sungmin said, slyly giving Heechul the signal that yes, he can go overboard teasing everyone in that store.

"Can you deliver it to us right now? I want to see that bed in our place as soon as we arrive."

The sales lady stood frozen. She only moved and scrambled to get their order when she saw Sungmin took out his Black Card.

"I don't care about the policy. You should deliver this item as soon as possible." They heard her ordered the person on the other line.

When they returned inside the car, Sungmin and Heechul laughed their heads off.

 

They arrived back at the library and saw the supposedly sleeping Hangeng all excited.

"A bunk bed was delivered from the furniture store." Hangeng said. "Does that mean-"

"Yes. Heechul is going to stay here from now on." Sungmin replied even before Hangeng could finish his sentence.

"Did they set it up already? They are really fast." I wanna see it now." Heechul said as he let himself enter the room.

The two persons was disappointed, but Hangeng still could not contain his smile.

"How can I sleep in plastic and planks of expensive wood?" Heechul asked when he saw that it was still not set up.

"I was so excited, and I thought it would be a great experience if we build this together, so I asked them to leave already."

"Do it yourself." The two replied simultaneously.

"I'm sorry sir Sungmin, but there's a visitor on the back door." One of the library employee interrupted.

"Oh they probably came back. I'll ask them to set it up now." Sungmin said as he left to meet the visitor.

Sungmin happily walked the hallway leading to the back door, but halted when he saw the lone person waiting for him. Siwon raised his free hand as he greeted Sungmin a good afternoon. Somehow, Sungmin did not feel good at all.

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: I'm back!!! You don't want me here? Okay... ○~○

I have reasons why I just updated this.

First, I tried to finish a time-sensitive fic, but still failed. Here's the link if you want to, but some of you probably read it already. → Learning How to Swim and Another Thing

Second, I was also having problem how to continue a part of this story. Don't worry, I have an idea now.^^

I'll probably update soon again since I cut this in half. It was not supposed to end there, but I'm lazy typing now that it is already 1 o'clock in the morning.

Finally, I was afraid to post this update since a better story just updated too, and I'm afraid you'll ignore this one. XD

Hope to see y'all in next chapter.