Nine

A Royal Curse

Sungmin kept on driving around the city under the speed limit while Kyuhyun was looking for Sooyoung trying not to snap his neck or throw up from motion sickness. They were driving around for almost two hours when Sungmin ventured to a more busier road. Sure, they were able to see more people, but just mostly office workers who toiled over-time or club goers.

Since Sungmin was driving too slow for the people who wanted to go home so bad, he decided to park his car and just search on foot. He didn't mind the honks of impatient drivers, three cars to be precise. The reason he decided to skip the car ride was because Kyuhyun asked him what the middle finger meant after seeing what one of the drivers did, when a car passed them.

When Sungmin pulled over on the side of a quiet street, Kyuhyun frowned and faced him.

"What are you doing?" He asked in an annoyed tone. Why was Sungmin stopped driving?

"Let us just walk while looking for her." Sungmin suggested. He removed his seatbelt then looked at Kyuhyun.

"Just tell me how to remove this restriction. You don't have to help me anymore." Kyuhyun quickly said as he remembered what happened before they left the library, and he did not want to repeat that embarrassment anymore.

Sungmin nodded and buckled himself again. "Just push this red button, and when you hear a click sound, you're free." He then demonstrated it to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun did the same and the buckle instantly freed him. Sungmin cannot look at Kyuhyun this time. He cannot trust himself anymore. He would probably just stare at Kyuhyun once more if he looks at him more than two seconds.

"What now?" Kyuhyun asked, itching to go out and start looking.

"Let's go." Sungmin replied without looking at the other male. He opened his door and was about to leave, when a hand grabbed him. The contact gave him a shudder, but he tried to ignore it.

"Wait. Teach me how to open this door." Kyuhyun requested.

"I could open it for you." Sungmin was still not looking at Kyuhyun.

"I want to know how it works." Kyuhyun was being persistent, so Sungmin sat back down and closed his door. He tried to look at Kyuhyun at the eye, but it didn't last long. He just averted his focus on Kyuhyun's door.

"On your side, there is a lever." Sungmin twisted his body a little bit to show Kyuhyun his door. "This lever." He held onto it and pulled. "Just pull it and your door would open."

Kyuhyun looked at his side and found the lever. He opened his door just how Sungmin showed him. Once the door was ajar, he pushed it, slowly got out and ran away to look for Sooyoung. Sungmin just shook his head in amusement. He got out himself then went to the passenger side to close Kyuhyun's door.

"Are you not coming?" Kyuhyun asked when he was already quite far from Sungmin. Sungmin locked his car using his remote and jogged to Kyuhyun's side. When he was near enough, Kyuhyun started walking again. Kyuhyun was amazed how the place differ from the city he was used to. There are many different things he has never seen before. Though he wanted to examine each and every one of it, his main goal was to look for his maiden. He was walking ahead of Sungmin, who was holding his sketch of Sooyoung to compare faces with it.

They were getting tired after the long walk, but their search was still fruitless. Now, Kyuhyun was walking side by side with Sungmin. Kyuhyun's walk was wavering because of exhaustion, so he started bumping with Sungmin. Sungmin halted already, but Kyuhyun was determined to see Sooyoung today. Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun's back and felt different emotions. He dismissed it even without realizing what it was that he was feeling, and settled to pity. He felt sorry over Kyuhyun's situation. Before, he could easily blame Princess Minsung for the man's misery, but now, he can't feel any ounce of resentment towards her anymore.

Kyuhyun was tired, but he can't stop. He don't want to stop. He must continue walking. He knew it's quite impossible to find Sooyoung at his first night of searching, but he just want to walk to get away from Sungmin. No, Sungmin hasn't done anything wrong except when the shorter male snapped at him. He forgave him already. He just don't want Sungmin to see him breakdown. He felt overwhelmed by so many things which were mostly about his curse, the things he missed, and the person who was helping him right now. He doesn't think he can handle it all at once. He was thinking that maybe Sooyoung could calm him down, but he cannot see her anywhere too. He was on the verge of crying when he heard Sungmin's serene voice.

"Let's take a break for a while." Kyuhyun turned to Sungmin. The other male just smiled warmly at him. "There's a pojangmacha (street food vendor) not far from here." Sungmin continued.

Kyuhyun should feel irritated with Sungmin's smile. No. He should feel furious at Sungmin since he reminds him of everything. It was all the princess' fault why he was in a very deep and difficult situation, but he can't make himself get angry with Sungmin for a long time. Something about Sungmin tells him that he's a good person whom he can trust. Maybe Sungmin and Minsung are totally two different persons after all.

He took several deep breaths before he straightened himself and walked to Sungmin's side. They strolled under the trees and spotted a lone tented restaurant near the Han River. They approached it and went inside. The old lady who was tending it greeted them and asked for their orders. Sungmin got some food and ordered a bottle of soju for both of them. After serving the two male, the old lady did not pay much attention to them since she was far more worried about those who drink their lives to the brink.

The two settled eating by the steps that oversee the river. They quietly finished their foods. Kyuhyun finished his drink first, so he made himself comfortable and gazed at the calming river. The illusion of the city lights reflecting on the water gave a more romantic feel to it. Kyuhyun may have not seen Sooyoung today, but his nerves were calmed nevertheless, thanks to Sungmin. Sungmin swallowed the last drop of his soju when Kyuhyun talked.

"Thank you." Those were just simple words, but it managed to make Sungmin skip a heartbeat. Maybe because he was surprised by Kyuhyun's sudden talking, or maybe because he could feel the untainted sincerity with his voice. It was a good thing he finished his drink already. If not, he would be coughing its contents immediately, and that would totally ruin the mood.

Sungmin wiped his mouth with the back of his hands. He normally doesn't do it, but nothing felt normal that day anyway. He looked at Kyuhyun, who was contentedly looking at the scenery in front of him. Sungmin's heart ached and his eyes started crying. He just realized what was the feeling that he kept ignoring. He wanted to turn back time, and see when it all started and maybe stop himself from feeling it. He can't continue this emotion he's feeling right now because he knew that he would only hurt in the end. He can't fall in love with a person who loves someone else. He can't love Kyuhyun.

He bowed his head and closed his eyes. He can't continue this. He don't want to hurt Kyuhyun once again by being the modern Princess Minsung. He shook his head. This was just the effect of the alcohol. He'll look at Kyuhyun again and he'll feel nothing more than sympathy.

Kyuhyun noticed Sungmin's slumped position and thought that the other person was drunk already. He was worried, so he scooted closer. He was about to reach Sungmin with both hands, when the said man raised his head. He was not able to stop his hands though, so he still ended up holding Sungmin's shoulders.

Kyuhyun was shocked to see Sungmin's tear-stained face. It was not the tears, but the emotions that his face was conveying that made Kyuhyun stood frozen. It reminded him of the past.

 

"I am begging you. Listen not to me nor to Sooyoung. Please, all that I'm asking you to do is listen to your heart. I was the one whom you were exchanging letters with." The princess pleaded Kyuhyun, but he was adamant. He cannot let this spoiled rich brat to ruin his or Sooyoung's life, their life.

"My apologies your highness, but I cannot believe a single thing that comes from your mouth. How can you profess your feelings for me, when I can clearly see that the person you love is Prince Siwon." He respectfully replied and left.

Minsung took all of her courage and hugged Kyuhyun's back to refrain him from leaving.

"Please... I don't love him like that. I don't love him at all." Minsung's words and actions sent Kyuhyun to his limits. He yanked the princess hands off his waist and turned around. He held her on arms length and looked at her sternly.

 

That face... They have the same face. Kyuhyun's hold was tightening and Sungmin could feel it.

"It hurts."

"You are hurting me."

Kyuhyun hastily let go and stood up, confusion was clear on his face. Before they could react further, somebody interrupted them.

"Sungmin? Kyuhyun?" A familiar voice called.

The mentioned men faced the intruder and felt thankful for that person.

"Heechul!" Sungmin exclaimed. He stood up, ran towards Heechul, and hugged him tightly when he reached him. "Thank you." Sungmin murmured. Heechul was surprised by Sungmin's reaction, but when he felt the shorter male shaking and wetting his shirt with tears, he deduced that it's better to leave the younger male in that position for a while.

"It's okay. Everything would be fine. I'm here... I'll help you." Heechul said as he comfort Sungmin.

Kyuhyun stood alone, not knowing what to do nor what to feel. He wished someone would comfort him too.

 

 

 

 

a/n: A short update after a long time (compared to how fast I was updating this story). I honestly procrasinated since I cannot find my inspiration to this anymore, but I don't want this to end up as an unfinished work. It seems like I was back to zero while writing this (not that I ever improved anyway XD).

 

Here you go. :D i miss you guys!