Thirty-Three

A Royal Curse

Sungmin was seated on a cushioned wooden chair in the middle of a dim room. His eyes were focused on a single piece of ancient art. He bit his lips as he grip the side of his chair with both hands. Part of him wanted to wait and see Kyuhyun transform before his eyes, but the other part wanted to shut his eyes and leave the room entirely.

He looked at his wrist and saw the time: one minute before midnight. That was long enough to quickly flee the scene, but at the same time, short enough to witness Kyuhyun turn back into a human.

His breathing became irregular, his veins pulsated every second as he gripped the chair harder. He pressed his foot on the floor so as not to gave in to the temptation of leaving Kyuhyun. He widened his eyes, trying not to blink unnecessarily. This was it; it's now or never.

Three... two... one.

Sungmin suddenly stood up as he saw a small glow started to spread around Kyuhyun's feet. He marveled at the rare sight as his eyes followed the light's movement upward. He saw how the solid stone slowly turned into a soft fabric and how Kyuhyun's exposed limbs turned flesh. Kyuhyun slowly turned to look like a human in front of Sungmin, and the man can't help but awe and dread at the same time.

 

Kyuhyun dropped his hands on the side and opened his eyes. He was expecting to see the bright lights of the lounge, but instead, his eyes widened at the sight of the dim storage room. Not only that, the person he wanted to see the most was waiting right in front of him. At last! For the very first time that he stayed inside that library, someone waited for him and that someone was no other than Sungmin.

His heart burst out with different emotions. Sungmin was there for him. Sungmin, the person who loves him the most, the person whom he hurt with spiteful words, the person who left with broken soul the night before, the person whom he owe an apology.

He felt that nasty sting on his heart again; the painful stab of guilt hit him one more time. He wanted to say something, something that would convey how sorry he was from what he had done, but his mouth was empty. He didn't know what to say to take back all the things he had said. The damage was done, and he was not certain if Sungmin would be willing to listen. However, seeing that Sungmin was there to wait for him, he was forgiven, right?

Since he was not able to utter a single word, Kyuhyun decided to approach Sungmin. He drew closer, but Sungmin just remained standing with an unreadable face. Kyuhyun was about to call his name, but...

"Your face." Sungmin said. Kyuhyun touched the left side of his face and flinched. The bruise was left untreated and sore.

When Sungmin saw Kyuhyun flinched, his heart wavered. He wanted to keep a straight face and emotion, but seeing him like that, pinched his heart. Nevertheless, he cannot let his guard down again. No, he won't be vulnerable. He won't let Kyuhyun hurt him one more time.

Sungmin turned around, so he could easily hide and get rid of his emotion. "Follow me," he said in a restrained voice.

They strolled back quietly to the place where their dissension started. Kyuhyun wanted to stop him and apologize for everything, but the way Sungmin coldly turned his back troubled Kyuhyun. In the end, he just bowed his head and passively followed him.

They arrived at the dark lounge.  Sungmin walked and flipped a switch. When the lights and illuminated the room, the horrible memories flashed back to both of them, and they both felt uncomfortable and awful.

"There's no turning back." Sungmin encouraged himself. He walked around and started opening cupboards.

Kyuhyun just kept standing at the entrance as he observed Sungmin move around, looking for something that would help him with his throbbing face. Sungmin was busy gathering essential things to treat Kyuhyun, a very caring act, but his face was saying otherwise. It puzzled Kyuhyun. He wanted to believe that Sungmin still cared for him, but he can't help think that Sungmin was only doing it for the sake of responsibility.

"Sit," Sungmin instructed once he gathered everything. Kyuhyun immediately obeyed.

In front of them sits a box of antiseptic wipes, a filled ice pack and a bruise healing cream. Once Kyuhyun was seated, Sungmin started working on Kyuhyun's face right away. He calmly opened a wipe, but his right hand started to shake as he was about to reach Kyuhyun's bruise. Kyuhyun noticed it, but he did not react. If Sungmin would put too much pressure, he would not mind. He deserved it anyway.

Kyuhyun waited for Sungmin's hands to land with force. Instead, his heart thumped at the shorter man's gentle approach. The antiseptic stung his cut, but the way Sungmin tenderly dab the surface, he cannot complain at all. He would have easily believed that Sungmin already acquitted his errors, but Sungmin's dry look shows that Sungmin was far from forgiving him.

When Sungmin withdrew back his hand, Kyuhyun was determined to speak and apologize to him. He opened his mouth, but his words were blocked when Sungmin placed the ice pack on his face. Sungmin held it in place with his still shaking hand. Kyuhyun desired to relieve Sungmin with whatever burden he caused, so he reached for that trembling hand.

Sungmin was not ready to hear Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun's small action and words could easily change his heart, so he would not let Kyuhyun speak until he say what he wanted to express. He was afraid that he'll choose to stay with Kyuhyun even without knowing what the other wanted.

He was doing great so far, but when he felt Kyuhyun's hand on his own, he had the urge to call Siwon and change their plan back to the original one. Fortunately, he pulled back his hand. His mind and heart were cooperating with him, and he was glad.

The ice pack almost fell. Kyuhyun's first reaction was to catch it. He pressed his left hand to grab it, and he did. He only had to endure the unwanted pressure he forced on his bruise.

"I'm leaving." Sungmin said, which flabbergasted Kyuhyun.

Sungmin stated his declaration, before he could even change his mind. Well, he really wanted to change his mind. If Kyuhyun asks him to stay, he will no doubt stay in the library.

Kyuhyun was not responding, and it worried him. What if Kyuhyun did not care? Sungmin elaborated more, so Kyuhyun would get the bigger picture.

"I'm going back to Jeju for five days with Siwon. We'll leave in three days, but I'm going to return home tonight."

Kyuhyun put the ice pack down, but there was still no response from him.

Sungmin took that chance to apply the cream. It seems like it will be the last time he would be touching Kyuhyun anyway. He was hoping that Kyuhyun would stop him or at least ask him to return safe, but Kyuhyun disappointed him once more. At least he'll be gone now. He could move on and forget everything.

"I just thought I'll share it with you. Don't worry, I'll make sure you won't be seeing me again." With that, Sungmin stood up and turned around. He can't let Kyuhyun see how much he had hurt him again. It was hard for him to breathe, and tears were already flowing from his eyes.

He walked away, but Kyuhyun stopped him. Kyuhyun cannot let Sungmin leave just like that.

"Sungmin," he called. The mentioned man stopped but did not looked back.

"One more thing Kyuhyun-ssi, please return to your place in the lobby. I had to lie why you were here. I never deceived anyone before because I hate lying. If you don't want to stay here anymore, just leave. I'll take care of it."

"Sungmin." Kyuhyun felt awful when Sungmin used formalities on him. He called the man once again to explain, but Sungmin cut him for one last time.

"That's all." Sungmin left just like that.

 

Kyuhyun headed to the lobby with slow heavy footsteps. His eyes were b with unshed tears.

"Sungmin... he, he did not let me speak, apologize or explain my actions. Is this what he felt like? It feels horrible." He murmured to himself. Realizing what he had done to Sungmin both now and in the past, hit him like a rolling boulder.

When he reached the lobby, he looked at the dark surrounding outside.

"Sungmin is leaving me. What's the use of staying here?" he then remembered how Sungmin had to lie about his misplacement.

"I never deceived anyone before because I hate lying." Sungmin's words replayed in his head until it hurt.

He felt tired, useless and tired. He walked back to his pedestal and dropped his worn-out body. His eyes fluttered close as he lay his head down. With his eyes closed, he recalled everything from the first time he saw Sungmin.

Sungmin was unconscious in his arms, but he let go. No, he dropped Sungmin. At that time he despised the princess, and Sungmin resembles her in so many ways. Who would have thought that they were the same person?

Sungmin told him that during those time, his father was hurt and hospitalized in an accident. He remembered the male's pained expression as he tell him his story. He knew Sungmin loves his father so much that he even cry when he dream about him.

Sungmin is always sad and problematic. He rarely see Sungmin's endearing smile, the one that he didn't like at first because he didn't like Sungmin. Nonetheless, those smiles attracted Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun wanted to see it every time, but he did not want to fall for Sungmin.

He shivered, afraid that he would never see those smiles again. Then the kiss, Kyuhyun remembered Hangeng saying about Sungmin kissing and breaking his curse.

He opened his eyes and sat down. His fingers touched his lips delicately. Sungmin kissed him but why? How can Sungmin's kiss break his curse? Besides, Sungmin told him before that he didn't love him. Why would Sungmin kiss him in the first place?

He raked his head for answer, but there was none. He cannot think of any possible reason unless he asks Sungmin himself. However, how can he ask Sungmin if the man doesn't want to see him?

He closed his eyes and lied back as he give up thinking.

 

The second night, he also did not leave his pedestal. He stayed there, thinking why Sungmin told him that he was leaving. He could have just left and leave Kyuhyun wondering where he had been. Was it because Sungmin still treat him like a friend? No, he called him "Kyuhyun-ssi." Sungmin just severed their relationship.

Kyuhyun clutched his aching chest as he remember that it was him who ruined their friendship. It was him who pushed Sungmin away first.

Sungmin would be with Siwon for five days. Five days with the man he doesn't love. Sungmin didn't want to go to Jeju, more so, be with Siwon. Was Sungmin asking for his help?

That night passed again with him solving nothing.

 

The third night, the last night before Sungmin departs, Kyuhyun was still sitting on his pedestal. He gave up thinking. He was just sitting and staring at nothing. Would it be better if he just disappear? Would Sungmin look for him?

He bowed his head, dejected. Sungmin gave him the permission to leave. It would not surprise nor worry the man. Of course, he would not look for him.

The sound of footsteps woke Kyuhyun up from his reverie. He snapped his head to see who was approaching him. He prayed it to be Sungmin, but he was disappointment when he saw Heechul's figure nearing him.

"We're going to see Sungmin leave. You'll be alone here in the library." Heechul said then left. He did not let Kyuhyun reply. He'd given up on Kyuhyun, but the man deserves to know what's happening around the library. He saw and overheard his conversation with Sungmin. He knew Sungmin's intention, and he also saw Kyuhyun's reaction.

The man was confused. Sungmin gave him time to think, but Kyuhyun was hopeless. Heechul would not meddle again with their life, but he decided to let him see Sungmin for the last time. He was expecting Kyuhyun to follow him, but the cursed man was just staring at him, unmovable.

When Heechul left, Kyuhyun remembered his cryptic words:

"Sometimes all you need is some truth because the truth will set you free."

"The truth will set me free. How can I get the truth if Sooyoung forgot the past? Only Sooyoung can tell me everything that happened. About the letters, the princess and the curse."

Kyuhyun stood up. The curse... His story was famous, but he never had the chance to read anything about it. He never wanted to be reminded of what happened to him in the past, but now, he needed to learn the truth. For the first time in three nights, he left the pedestal.

 

According to a legend, there was a maiden wandering through the woods. While she was looking for a temporary escape from her suffocating life, she found a secret field unknown to many people. It was located at the edge of a mountain beside the castle. Every night, she would stroll there to breathe and forget her responsibilities. Then one night, she decided to leave her thoughts through a letter. She was not expecting anyone to read it, but she felt happy that she could openly express her worries.

 

Sooyoung claimed those letters to be hers. However, when Kyuhyun had the chance to exchange letters with Sungmin, he observed the uncanny similarity of the contents.

 

When she returned the next night, she found a tulip flower where she left her letter, but her letter was gone. She took the flower and left her second letter, expecting for another flower the next time she'll visit the place. She was disappointed when there was no flowers left behind, but she was surprised to see a different letter. It was a reply to her first one. A man discovered her fortress and her letters, but she did not felt any displeasure with it. It only gave her excitement.

 

Sungmin's favorite flower is tulip. Was it because he also like Kyuhyun's story, or because he was the princess and the one who received the tulip from him?

 

The exchanging of letters went on for a while until the man decided to meet the lady he was writing letters with. The man went to the garden earlier and waited for his love. When he saw a lady with a letter, he approached her and declared his love. The lady, who was a royal servant, returned his feelings. They decided to meet each other at midnight and leave before sunrise.

 

Kyuhyun remembered how apprehensive Sooyoung was when they first met. In her hands, he saw a scroll. Sooyoung was about to leave it in the pavilion, but he appeared before her.

She was trembling and hid the scroll. Kyuhyun did not mind, for the maiden he loves was already in front of him.

 

One night, the princess came and saw them together. She claimed that she was the one that sends the letter, and the girl, the man originally loves. The princess tried to convince the man, but the servant declared that the princess was trying to steal him from her. The man defended his love and showed great animosity towards the princess. The princess cursed them before committing suicide. She turned the man into a stone and turned her own servant insane.

 

Sooyoung told him that Princess Minsung cursed them. She told him a lot of awful things about the royal, but he cannot trust her anymore, especially after reading the curse.

"A true love's kiss would set me free?" Kyuhyun murmured. "It was Princess Minsung after all. But I hurt her, and I ended up hurting Sungmin as well."

Kyuhyun dropped the book he was reading. He slowly wobbled back as realization slowly seeped in his brain. He looked at the time and remembered Sungmin.

He quickly turned around and run away. He did not waste time. He ran towards Sungmin's house, wishing that he would still catch him.

He saw Siwon's car parked outside. Heechul and Hangeng were waving, and Siwon was walking towards the driver's side.

Siwon opened the door and was about to ride when he saw Kyuhyun running. Siwon saw him stopped and looked at him with pleading eyes. Kyuhyun wanted him to wait.

With a heavy heart, Siwon entered the car and started the engine. He cannot give up his chance on Sungmin, not when it looks like it would be the last time. If they return, and he was not able to convince Sungmin, there's no other chance for him left. He was sure Kyuhyun realized Sungmin's feelings for him. By the desperate look on Kyuhyun's eyes, he knew as well that he also realized his own feelings for Sungmin.

 

Kyuhyun stopped and silently begged Siwon to let him talk to Sungmin, but his eyes widened when Siwon started the car's engine. He did not waste more time and started running again. He called Sungmin's name at the top of lungs that Heechul and Hangeng heard him. Sungmin, on the other hand, did not hear anything at all.

The car left, but Kyuhyun followed it. He followed it until his legs gave out. He stumbled on the ground and wept.

"Sungmin don't leave me. I am terribly sorry for everything. Please don't leave," he kept saying, but Sungmin can never hear him anymore. He can never see him anymore.

 

Heechul and Hangeng followed and saw him on the road, crying and talking to the air. They both felt bad, but they don't know how to help Kyuhyun.

"Heechul," Hangeng called. Heechul faced him with a concerned face. He knew Heechul's worry, but his concern was different. "the sun is already up." With that, they both looked at Kyuhyun, an alive and human Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

 

a/n:

Why???

Sungmin why? ლ(ٱ٥ٱლ)

Kyuhyun why? ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)

Siwon why? щ(ºДºщ)

Hanchul....