One

A Royal Curse

"I really hate her!" Sungmin grumbled while closing a history book.

He was filing the books back at the bookshelves when he stumbled upon Princess Minsung's history. His family owned a privately owned public library since Sungmin loves to read books since he was still young. Both him and his father also share the same fondness over historical things. With their little collection, they were able to build a small historical museum right inside the library. Sungmin doesn't have to work, but he likes seeing other people appreciate history as well as other literary pieces. Besides, his father travels a lot, looking for more artifacts that they can add to their collections. At the library, Sungmin doesn't feel alone. He love his father, but he would rather travel different worlds and time as he busy himself with reading. He was not fond of riding planes because that what killed his mother when he was still young.

 

"Young master, why are you still here? The library closed an hour ago." One of the worker asked.

"Why? Is there something wrong?" Sungmin asked while tilting his head.

"Oh... you were not informed? There would be a special celebration for your father's arrival here at the museum. I thought you already went home and prepared."

"You're right! I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me!" Sungmin hurriedly went back home.

Their house was not really that far. It was just five minutes drive; a few blocks away, a very safe walking distance. However, he can't miss his father's return.

Sungmin came back later that evening, looking sharp with his black coat over a pink dress shirt, completed with a purple tie. He calmly walked towards his father even though he just wanted to run and hug him tight. Since they are one of the wealthiest and famous figure in their city, the arrival of his father was being broadcasted in the news. There were several reporters and cameras in and out of the premises, and he have to be careful on how he act.

The small gathering was organized outside the library to accommodate guests with foods and drinks. His father finished a small interview and was now talking to some of his business partners. When Mr. Lee noticed the arrival of his son, he tried to get everyone's attention.

"Everyone! I tried to gather all of you here tonight, not to celebrate my arrival, but to witness the unveiling of a masterpiece I found during one of my travels." Mr. Lee opened his arm to Sungmin and hugged his son. "My son, Sungmin, is fond of the legend that we all know as the Royal Curse of Kyuhyun." Everyone murmured their own thought about the legend as the host paused. "Now we all know that it was just a legend with no proof. However, during my travel, I met an archeologist who discovered a statue near a castle in Greece. He never reported it to any officials since he cannot determine who created it.

"Besides the statue, they also found documents related to the legend. They asked me to translate it for them, so I brought it home with me. I wish I could present the translated documents to you, but I was excited going home, so I postponed translating it for a while." Everyone chuckled.

Mr. Lee looked at his son, and he could see that Sungmin himself cannot contain his excitement anymore. Without wasting another moment, he invited everyone to enter the library.

They don't have to guess what they were going to look for. Upon entering, they could see a white cloth covering a human-sized statue. The media tried to move to see a better angle before they pull the fabric. When everyone was situated, Mr. Lee spoke once again.

"May I present you my gift, Kyuhyun!"

It was Sungmin who pulled the cloth. Everyone was taken aback and held their breath. In front of them stands a statue of a man that looks like he was frozen by time. With his stance everyone could tell that he was hugging someone. If this was the real Kyuhyun, he must be hugging the servant before the curse took over his body.

Sungmin clenched his fists. He doesn't know why, but a part of him wanted to keep Kyuhyun to himself. He wanted to stop the media from taking photos and recording footage of the statue. He also wanted to shield everyone's eyes from seeing Kyuhyun. He want everyone out, even his father. He can't take it anymore. He always wanted to see Kyuhyun's statue, real or not. It reminds him that you can always fight for your true love even if it means sacrificing your own life, but now that he is seeing it with his own eyes, he wanted to erase the pain in Kyuhyun's appearance. He wanted to embrace the statue and maybe, just maybe, the curse would leave his body.

The party went on, but he remained quiet and collect. When they were about to go home, his father approached him.

"Don't you liked it Sungmin?"

"I never imagined he would be this hurt father. Princess Minsung really ruined his life." Sungmin replied without looking at his father. All his attention was on the statue.

"It was just a statue Sungmin. We don't really know if he's Kyuhyun or not. Let's go home and rest for now. We still have some documents to translate son."

"But I could feel it father. He's Kyuhyun." Sungmin thought. When Sungmin looked at his father, he realized how much he changed from when he left.

"You look really tired father. Maybe it's best to go home and rest. I'll handle the translation myself."

"Hey. Don't treat me like an old person. I can take care of myself." Mr. Lee joked.

"I know. Sometimes I think I'm raising a child, instead of having a father." Sungmin teased back.

They happily went home and let Hangeng, the night shift guard, watch the library.

 

 

"After all these years, you two met again at last. My job would be over soon." A voice from a distance said.

 

 

a/n: Another rushed story. Not really since I thought of this since last year. I'm not sure how long this would take, but I at writing multi-chapter fics, so it might just have more or less 10 chapters. If it's confusing, it will be probably more confusing the next chapters... XD