Chapter 35: An Unusual Valentine part 2

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“RJ?  Wake up…”  Gerald seemed a bit disoriented.  He was hearing voices, though not really recognizing any.

          “RJ….wake up, bro, Kimmy’s ringing that damn bell for almost 5 minutes already.  She can’t come in just yet…come on, little brother you need to go out there.”  Zoe was quite frantic as she tried to help him to his feet.

          Finally coming to terms with his surroundings, Gerald immediately became aware of the incessant doorbells.  Looking at Zoe who simply nodded her head, he made his way out of the secret room and opened the door of the confession room to an almost histerical Kim.

          When the door opened and Gerald came into view, Kim hurriedly lunged herself at him, sobbing profusely.

          “Baby, bakit?  Ano’ng nangyari?”

          “Sabi mo kasi, sandali ka lang eh,”  she replied in between sobs.

          “Eh kasi may pinag-uusapan pa kami ni big brother eh.  Sorry ha?  Di ko naman sinasadya na mag-worry ka.  Sorry na talaga.  Tahan ka na…ok lang naman ako eh.”  He soothed her as he continuously rubbed her back with the palm of his hands.

          After a few minutes, Kim was still leaning on his chest, but the sobs have completely subsided.  “Babe sorry ha?  Di ko alam kung bakit, basta natatakot ako every time magtatagal ka dyan sa loob ng confession room.  Wala ba talaga akong dapat malaman?”

          ‘Baby, ano ka ba?  I’m fine.  Wag mo kasing pakaisipin yung nangyari the other day.  Pagod lang ako nun…promise, hinding-hindi ako mawawala sa’yo…hindi ako papayag na mawala ako sa’yo, pangako yan.  Ok?”

          “K. Tulog muna tayo?  Parang pakiramdam ko, pagod na pagod ako….”

          “Napagod ba kita kanina?”  Gerald asked her jokingly.

          “Medyo…pero masarap na pagod yun…mamaya ulit ha?”  She retorted naughtily, kissing him squarely on the lips before sauntering to his bedroom.

          Gerald was left with his mouth gaping at her parting shot.  He shook his head in amazement and stood up to follow her.

          They slept with their arms around each other, perfectly at peace with knowing that when they wake up, they would do so with the person they love beside them.

          It was almost dusk when Gerald woke up.  Kim was still sleeping soundly so he slowly moved up from the bed.  He took his towel and toothbrush to the kitchen so as not to wake her up with the sound of running water.

          After freshening up, he went outside the house to check if Ali and Joven have already prepared his surprise for Kim.  As soon as he stepped out of the door, luminaries lined up to the shore greeted him.  Just a few meters from the water, a table has been set up for two, complete with candlelights, a bottle of Merlot and a boquet of three dozen bloodred Brazilian roses.  He looked around for his two accomplices and found them near the rock formation, discreetly hidden from view.  He waved at them and they waved back before giving him the thumbs up sign.  From another rock, a smaller formation but just as discreet, he saw the string ensemble he asked from Loi Villarama, their event coordinator friend.

          Seeing that everything is as it should be, he retraced his steps back to the house, went straight to the confession room to get the red velvet box from underneath the chair.  Placing the box inside his shorts pocket, he went back out.

          Kim woke up with a start.  She found the space next to her empty.  She stood up and hurriedly went out of the room in search of Gerald.  She heaved a sigh of relief as she found him by the window, looking out of the front bay window.

          She slowly made her way up to him and from the back, she encircled her arms to his waist, leaning her cheeks on his broad back.  Gerald held her hands in his, not letting go before turning around to face her.  He cupped her face and gave her a quick smack on the lips.

          “Hungry ka na?”  He asked.

          “For you?  Lagi naman…”  She replied teasingly.

          “Ah, ah, kimmy, na yan…  di ko akalain ha….obsessed ka pala talaga saken…

          “Ang kapal nito…masyado kang Feeling ha...”

          “Joke lang, ito naman…baby dala mo ba yung dress na suot mo nung scene natin sa My Only Hope, yung may party sa beach?”

          “Ahm…dala ko yata, why?”

          “Pwede mag-request?  Baka pwedeng yun ang suotin mo for dinner?”

          “Ha?  Bakit?  Magbibihis pa tayo for dinner lang?”

          “Bakit naman hindi?  It’s the eve before valentine’s day…eh di mag-celebrate tayo…”

          “Sige…o, dyan ka muna, magbibihis na ‘ko at baka hindi mo pa ‘ko i-date…”

          “sabay na tayo mag-shower?”  Gerald asked her with a mischievous smile on his lips.

          “Wag na…magtatagal pa tayo pag sumabay ka.  Alam ko namang you won’t be able to keep your hands off me,”  Kim answered with a laugh before turning her back and making her way towards the bedroom.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

          An hour later, Gerald peaked inside the room to see if Kim was ready.  She was in front of the mirror, brushing her hair and was about to put it up in a messy chignon when Gerald caught her hand.  He took the brush from her and continued combing her hair.  Then, he pushed the strands behind her ear before placing the Chanel earring on her.  The diamond-studded Chanel logo was suspended on a single chain hook.  Kim’s mouth dropped open as she stared at Gerald’s reflection on the mirror.  He turned to her other ear and placed the other piece, completing her enchanting ensemble for the night.  Kim faced her boyfriend and tiptoed to give him a quick but passionate kiss on the lips.  If she thought she would get away with just a smack, she was clearly mistaken.  Gerald caught her lips in between his teeth, lightly nibbled on it before engaging her in a heated kiss that took both their breaths away.   As Kim got carried away, Gerald slowly broke the kiss and smiled at her.

          “Sarap…isa pa nga…”  Kim teased.

          “Mamaya na at baka di na tayo makapag-dinner.  Halika na…”  He kissed her on the forehead before taking her hand and guiding her to the door that led to the beach.

          As they stepped out, Kim noticed the pathwalk lighted by multiple luminaries.  It led to the table by the beach.

          “Oh my God!  Ge!  Ang ganda naman nito…”  She instantly felt the hot liquid flowing from her eyes.  She couldn’t help but shed tears as she realized that Gerald really prepared for their special night.

          He pulled the chair for her and waited until she was seated.  From the back of the beach house, a uniformed waiter appeared with their dinner.  Gerald lighted the candle and opened the wine.  They chatted happily as they ate, punctuated with wine toasts and kisses on the side. 

          More than halfway through the meal, Kim was surprised when she heard the sound of violins coming from one side of the beach, and it was getting nearer and nearer.  Finally, she saw the quartet approaching their table.  She looked at Gerald in surprise and found him smiling at her, teary-eyed as he watched her mixture of emotions.  He stood up and held his hand to her.

          “Kimberly, may I have this dance?”

          She couldn’t say anything so she just took his hand and followed his lead.  It was only when he placed her hand on his shoulders and his on her waist that she realized that the song being played was her favorite which also became their theme song:  No Ordinary Love.

          They swayed to the music, oblivious of everything else.  They were only aware of each other’s presence. 

          As the song was about to come to an end, the night sky was suddenly illuminated by millions of colorful fireworks.  The pair stopped and just held each other as they watched.  Kim gasped as the fireworks ended with a written display very much like the one Gerald had prepared on New year’s eve.  The only difference was the phrase.  It wasn’t I love you, but rather, “KIM, WILL YOU MARRY ME?”